PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a DoF fansite

LiTos456
03-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Hey, I've been largely interested in this game lately and I thought it would be a great thing if I made a fansite. First off I'd be the first to do so, and second I simply love making websites one way or another (I have 3 websites to fix and finish at the moment and 2 to build from scratch, one of the two is this one).
I just wanted to ask permission to host content and information on the game on the site. Also I wanted to ask if anyone knows where I can get artwork for site borders and such (you know some vines to "grow" on the sides of the site for example) to make it more fantasy styled.
Also if you have suggestions you can say them to me, I'd love to hear some.
Thanks Reverie!

Konstantin Fomenko
03-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi LiTos,

By all means go ahead. Unfortunately we haven`t released our fan-site kit yet - but that`s something we`ll look into next month.

Once your done with your site notify Bryan or Danny and they can get you a batch of exclusive screenshots to help you launch it.

LiTos456
03-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Yes! Great! I can't wait to get started. But god damn homework needs to be done first.
Wohoo, I'm so excited! I have so many ideas and I can see the whole site in my eyes already.
And I'm even more excited that I'll get some exclusive screenshots as well. I more than anything hope that I will receive support from you developers as well. I will have a gallery, downloads, guides, faqs, forums, all kinds of stuff. I'll put every single little detail out on this game together.
I should hopefully be done within 2 weeks. As I said I have 5 sites to work on at the moment but this is my 2nd priority site. First I have to finish up and polish another one, which shouldn't take me more than a couple of days of hard work, maybe three.
Thanks again!

Edit: http://1191adb.com/klan/ Here, you can take a look at the system that I'm going to be using. This is one of my sites (which actually is one of the sites that I need to redesign because I have to convert it to another game). Though the Dof site will look different of course, it will have the same features. I'll try to make the DoF site to seem really big and wide with lots of content fitting into one scroll of your browser, like one of those oblivion sites, I can't find that one now though, or maybe they redesigned it.
Anyway, I'll be posting all my progress here. Soon I'll be revealing some logos and artwork I'll be making for the site. I will also reveal the official name of the site tonight once I purchase the domain. It's quite simple, but reasonable.
Cheers mates ;)

The Witch King of Angmar
03-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Awesome idea Litos. I look forward to seeing your site as it comes along.

LiTos456
03-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks. I'll start making the logo tonight hopefully after I'm done with school work (since I need to wait a couple of days for the domain to be fully operational, why not start some graphics).

raving
03-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks. I'll start making the logo tonight hopefully after I'm done with school work (since I need to wait a couple of days for the domain to be fully operational, why not start some graphics).
u make ur own logo's? wich progams u use for that or do u just start from scratch in paint?

LiTos456
03-12-2009, 05:43 PM
I start from scratch in photoshop actually.

Yeah guys, I'm seriously gonna need your logo. Transparent... If I can't have it I'll just make something up using a different font I guess.

Joseph Visscher
03-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey LiTos456 awesome sites, your very talented, read your blog, ha, not exactly like wow+rts, but we hope to impress.
pm danny or bryan your msn and someone will get you a dof logo.

LiTos456
03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Haha thanks! Yeah I'm actually a shooter/war/hard-core-unreal-tournament-shoot-in-the-face-and-spill-lots-of-blood person... But I encore from RTSs. They were the first games I've played :)
Alright, I'll PM Bryan now I guess. I chose him because my best friend's name is Bryan... I thought he was the only one in the world with a Y.
I'm already cooking stuff up, but since I can has the logo I'll see what I can do with it.
Thanks.

LiTos456
03-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Alright! Yesterday I pruchased the domain 'dofsource.com' and today the name servers finished transferring.
http://dofsource.com.
Now off to school.

LiTos456
03-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Alright, first update...
So yeah, I ended up forging a draft logo. The main focus was the title/text part. The warrior is a detail. Any logos I make always have a character on them, I just don't see how good will a logo do without one.
The text part is pretty much dead solid. If there will be any changes they will most likely be minor.
http://i42.tinypic.com/25hiuxu.png
Here is also the favicon and what is probably going to be my avatar there, etc...
http://i43.tinypic.com/11uyd80.png
yeah.

update: dofs construction page updated. Favicon doesn't want to work for some reason though, it usually works after clearing cache...weird.

Puppeteer
03-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Someone's found the Cloud filter in photoshop *rolls eyes*

LiTos456
03-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I had like zero creativity yesterday, I spent 5 hours on making this and I only finished today.
I didn't know what else to do... besides, it's not that bad... is it?

LiTos456
03-14-2009, 12:16 AM
*major update*
Me and Danny are working on setting up the site now. FTP hosting is being a "bad thing" to me so he is reuploading the files and will just set it up because it got a little messy earlier thanks to the unstable version of a cms - we're reusing a stable one now.
And one more thing: I have finalized the logo and you can look at this sweetness here: http://dofsource.com/images/logo.swf
My first work in flash ever actually... Sorry that it's resized to fit your screen, it won't be on the site, it's just that I'm linking directly to the swf. But you get the point.
Should I make fog the fog move on the top half of the logo as well? I'm not sure whether to do it or not.

raving
03-14-2009, 03:48 AM
*major update*
Me and Danny are working on setting up the site now. FTP hosting is being a "bad thing" to me so he is reuploading the files and will just set it up because it got a little messy earlier thanks to the unstable version of a cms - we're reusing a stable one now.
And one more thing: I have finalized the logo and you can look at this sweetness here: http://dofsource.com/images/logo.swf
My first work in flash ever actually... Sorry that it's resized to fit your screen, it won't be on the site, it's just that I'm linking directly to the swf. But you get the point.
Should I make fog the fog move on the top half of the logo as well? I'm not sure whether to do it or not.
tss elven fan who makes man logo >< ;) still looks nice tho, alto i dont understand the meaning of source?

Draco
03-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Looking nice, keep up the good work :)

LiTos456
03-14-2009, 11:59 AM
tss elven fan who makes man logo >< ;) still looks nice tho, alto i dont understand the meaning of source?

There aren't any elven artworks released, besides this one seems more fitting for the fog and everything.
The meaning of source is because the website will be the best source for "anything Dof" out on the internet. It is the first, but if more come up this one will be the best. We will be able to store maps, screenshots and any other media, forum, FAQs, Guides, and everything can be submitted by the members to any of these categories.

Puppeteer
03-14-2009, 12:46 PM
There are some pieces of elven artwork... else I don't know where I got this guy from in a previous sig of mine:
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll90/JackRamsden/Signatures/ElvenMor2.jpg

LiTos456
03-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Well technically I can make another one just replacing the character, wouldn't be that much of a problem... But it's no need for now.
Also, I've replaced the http://dofsource.com construction page's logo with the flash object. It is now transparent so it blends with the background, although as you can see where the fog moves it doesn't blend for obvious reasons. I'm trying to figure out how to make it blend, so I already have things ready when I need all this on the actual site's page.
Does anybody have any ideas?

LiTos456
03-14-2009, 03:28 PM
*update*
Danny is now helping set up the Dawn of Fantasy Source website and getting us off our feet. (So far it's me and two mods, and his help).
Also we are setting up a basic layout of the site now. Then comes the hard part - recreating all the graphics, links, CSS properties, etc.

New update again:
Lol, we decided that this CMS was no-go so we're going back to the good old php fusion.
I have an old website that's using it (older version but very similar). It's full of stuff, you can check it out at http://1191adb.com/index.php.
But now it's going to save us a lot of hours because we both know the CMS like our 5 fingers and it's better one way or another.

raving
03-15-2009, 08:38 AM
sounds great ^^

LiTos456
03-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Alrighty I removed the construction page now it's just the construction page of php fusion at http://dofsource.com. Also, you can still see the old construction page with the flash logo at http://dofsource.com/construction.html.

Feweh
03-15-2009, 06:41 PM
If your making flash for intro, make the entire page flash, because just one image is moving and the rest kinda looks weird.

LiTos456
03-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Why the hell would I wanna do that? It's a php/mysql website, not a flash site...

Danny Vink
03-15-2009, 09:18 PM
He's referring to your old under construction page...

LiTos456
03-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Oh...
Nah I won't spend time on that... Doesn't matter, it's not even the main index page anymore.

LiTos456
03-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Update: We have a new skin! You might have noticed if you went to dofsource.com.
Here's our to do list for the site (everything but the theme editing+polishing stuff:)
-Finish the faq
-Make a "fan" wishlist
-Fill the screenshots gallery
-Fill the artwork gallery
-Create a "predicted system requirements" page.

Other than that there's the skin stuff to do. It's not hard except for one part, but I think I should pull it off.

raving
03-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Update: We have a new skin! You might have noticed if you went to dofsource.com.
Here's our to do list for the site (everything but the theme editing+polishing stuff:)
-Finish the faq
-Make a "fan" wishlist
-Fill the screenshots gallery
-Fill the artwork gallery
-Create a "predicted system requirements" page.

Other than that there's the skin stuff to do. It's not hard except for one part, but I think I should pull it off.

nice, ... fan wish list :D i think ur gonna see alot of gieb dragons in there >< :D. but they will have to wait for the expansion!!! :D

LiTos456
03-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Haha yeah I think there will be a huge list...
Making lots of progress so far :) Site should actually be done within a few days at this rate...

Grizzlez
03-16-2009, 06:30 PM
If you want some graphics/images doing I'd be glad to help out.

LiTos456
03-16-2009, 07:18 PM
We already have a theme graphics designer, although he is unfortunately Norwegian and I only find him online for about half an hour or so every day. I have no problem with having more than one graphics designer - so I have added you to msn and we can talk about it if you want, and you can show me some of your work.
Cheers :)

LiTos456
03-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, I'm almost done with the site I guess. I've added much info - I copied stuff from the official DoF site since there's no reason to retype it in my own words, but I did give the sources to the official site so I hope I won't be asked to remove it.
Other than that just have a few things left - get the graphics done (my designer's job), and fix the header... and I guess that's about it...

LiTos456
03-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Deadline is set to this friday. Exactly one week of development. I've been hurrying the heck out of it.
Cheers
And sorry for like triple post.

LiTos456
03-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Dofsource is nearing it's completion!
Today me and my designer have finished the skin. All that is now left to do is create the flash objects for the header, add new smileys (original ones too, lol), and add 2 buttons to be displayed in posts.
Pretty much EVERYTHING in the theme is original. Every single image, except few very, which you'll barely (or not at all) see.

Darvin
03-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Well, you're not the only fansite that covers Dawn of Fantasy. RTSC has been covering Dawn of Fantasy since February 2007.

Still, I wish you the best of luck. We're all fans, after all :-)

raving
03-20-2009, 06:38 AM
Dofsource is nearing it's completion!
Today me and my designer have finished the skin. All that is now left to do is create the flash objects for the header, add new smileys (original ones too, lol), and add 2 buttons to be displayed in posts.
Pretty much EVERYTHING in the theme is original. Every single image, except few very, which you'll barely (or not at all) see.

so we need to make an acount before we enter?

LiTos456
03-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Well, you're not the only fansite that covers Dawn of Fantasy. RTSC has been covering Dawn of Fantasy since February 2007.

Still, I wish you the best of luck. We're all fans, after all :-)

Yeah, but I'll be like DoF only and everything. xP
And thanks.

Oh and no, you won't need to register before you enter.

LiTos456
03-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Once again, delayed... should be launched tomorrow...
Reasons:
-Header not fully completed
-Some thumbnails for video categories and news categories

Although, a MAJOR problem was fixed, thanks for the delay. Finally after days of searching for the cause I found it, and it was once again, right in front of me. As usual :)
Header should hopefully be done today or tomorrow, and the screenshots are up to Reverie.
I can't say what time tomorrow I'll open it.

Danny Vink
03-21-2009, 09:14 PM
I have your screenshots ready for you

LiTos456
03-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Awesome. Then I'll ask for them as soon as you come online.

Oh and also, I have just implemented a video system.

EDIT: Delayed once more. Sorry. Launching tomorrow for sure.

frankein_fish
03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Stilll under construction in see -.- :D
well i understand why it can take a bit longer than u expect
just take ur time

LiTos456
03-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm done taking my time.
Although 2 things still aren't complete - header isn't fully tweaked (doesn't look very creative right now), and tinyMCE editor isn't implemented in article submissions - I think that the fact that my computer just broke itself and ironically the 3 people that could at least do the header for me are all unavailable... Maybe this is telling me to open the site and wait for some damn feedback and not being busy trying to perfect it.
So, you're just in time Frankein.

As of today, March 23rd, 2009, Dawn of Fantasy Source is officially launched!
Our main concern right now is to receive your feedback in the feedback forum section. Please look around the site and post whatever you think about it and specific aspects of it.
Also be aware of that some sections are obviously still not filled (like downloads) beacuse the game isn't out yet.
We already have 4 member-only exclusive screenshots available, never seen before anywhere. We will have more later as well as interviews with various team members, etc.
Enjoy! I hope you like it.

edit: oh and if you have problems registering, tell me about it, and I will make you an account.