PDA

View Full Version : Hey there

LiTos456
03-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey everyone.
Just wanted to introduce myself.
My real name is Ed, you can go ahead and call me that.
I'm a gamer which is going to be my real profession (I recently got accepted into a very good technical high school that offers computer science classes in the 3rd and 4th years), while another thing I have is web design. I have a true passion for it whether I succeed or not... My main thing is making community websites. I own a bunch right now, you can check it out if you go to my profile.
Recently I got the saga offer from xfire, I got interested. Then I hated it so I started fishing for more MMORTSs. RTSs were the first games I've played but then I went onto the 3d stuff and eventually got to the hardcore shooters which is what I'm active at now. But now, suddenly, I'm all into strategy again. Don't know why.
So I was looking through and I was like alright, this dawn of fantasy thing, last thing I check and then sleepy. Well guess what I didn't sleep for another hour. I feel like I'm lucky that I found this. For the time I'll stick with battleforge, it's pretty cool, but I can't wait to control my own city and lead my army against other players online in an MMO mode in an RTS game.
So yeah, hello everybody.

Bryan Oakley
03-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Greetings Ed.

I'm in the middle of college working on my my BS in Computer Science, so far it's.....not going too well shall we say? (Horrible at programming)

Good luck with your schooling and welcome to the forums.

The_Biz
03-12-2009, 01:21 AM
way you wrote it says you're going to be a professional gamer...

not a professional game programmer

Darvin
03-12-2009, 01:48 AM
Heh, I'm almost done my BASC in Computer Engineering. It's a long road, let me tell you!

Welcome to the forums, Ed.

LiTos456
03-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Long road indeed, but I'm willing to take it.
Thanks for the welcomes.
Biz - I'm actually not planning on being a programmer. I'll take programming classes for as long as I can but I'm actually focusing on being a lead in a game's development, as in producer of creative director.

The Witch King of Angmar
03-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the forums.

szebus
03-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Good to see the forum groving. Welkome

Puppeteer
03-12-2009, 10:24 AM
while another thing I have is web design.
Lucky, I envy you :p

Darvin
03-12-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm actually focusing on being a lead in a game's development, as in producer of creative director.
Sorry man, you were born 20 years too late. Those positions only existed in the early days when development teams were small enough that the "lead" developer could actually put his name on the product as if he was an author, and even then they did programming work like everyone else. These days, unless you have an existing reputation from those early years (Sid Meier, Will Wright) those positions just don't exist anymore. The creative process is shared across very large teams, and there's no such thing as one guy who calls the shots on creative direction.

raving
03-12-2009, 11:31 AM
welcome to the forums :D

im studying basic it atm at high school programing for me is still with if and then >< :p so prob long road for me too :(, prob gonna switch to networking anyway as major.

wou129
03-12-2009, 12:20 PM
welcome to the froms

LiTos456
03-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Sorry man, you were born 20 years too late. Those positions only existed in the early days when development teams were small enough that the "lead" developer could actually put his name on the product as if he was an author, and even then they did programming work like everyone else. These days, unless you have an existing reputation from those early years (Sid Meier, Will Wright) those positions just don't exist anymore. The creative process is shared across very large teams, and there's no such thing as one guy who calls the shots on creative direction.

Then who are Ben mattes? Jade Raymond? Patrice Desilets? They are all creative directors and producers who appear in interviews, credits, and do plenty of creative work such as starting the project and throwing in ideas.

PS: I also forgot to add I'm from Ukraine if anyone is interested where I come from. I currently live in the U.S. though.

Darvin
03-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Well, I can't address most of your examples directly, as wikipedia apparently doesn't think Ben Mattes is notable and Patrice Desilets has only a stub. However, Jade Raymond is a producer. A producer's primary role is more on the business and marketing end of things, not spinning off creative ideas all day. All these people would have began their careers in ordinary programmer positions. You don't jump right into the shoes of producer or lead developer, and even once you're there creative direction is at most only one of your minor job duties.

That's not to say she wouldn't be involved in the creative design of the game, but that's not the focus of her job. No one has the sole focus of creative design in their jobs. They may pitch ideas, and will certainly be involved in the direction of the final product, but it's not their primary role.

LiTos456
03-13-2009, 05:52 AM
Well I'm pretty sure at some point I can be a creative director, after working as a programmer or whatsoever.
As I said, it's a long way that I'm willing to take.

Andy Joslin
03-13-2009, 08:18 AM
Welcome!
Konichiwa!
Jambo!
Hola!
Ni hao!
Bonjour!
Buon giorno!
Annyong ha shimnikka!
Czesc!
Zdravstvuite!