PDA

View Full Version : Some new features to improve the Editor

feneur
12-08-2011, 06:10 PM
I have a couple of new features that I think would make the editor easier to use, feel free to implement them at your leisure :)

When editing the elevation you currently only have stuff happen when you click with the mouse. For the Set elevation tool that is great, but for raise/lower/level/soften it would be nice if there was some continuous editing. I.e. that you could press and hold the mouse button and the brush would come into effect.

The point lights are really cool. Imho it would be nice if there was a separate "distance" setting that influences how far the light reaches. If there would be such a thing the Intensity could just change brightness of the light rather than both as it is now (I think at least, the distance effect is the most obvious part of it, but I assume/think it does change the brightness of it as well).

Konstantin Fomenko
12-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I`m not sure we can change the point light - as Intensity controls distance as well as it`s really hard to separate the two.

With elevations - I used the editor myself quite a bit and here I have to agree, that would be a great feature and easy to add, we already have it for terrain. I`ll run it by the programmers - maybe in a couple of weeks.

feneur
12-09-2011, 11:35 AM
I`m not sure we can change the point light - as Intensity controls distance as well as it`s really hard to separate the two.Ok, no worries. Something to remember for when you rework the graphics/lighting system in a bunch of years perhaps ;)

With elevations - I used the editor myself quite a bit and here I have to agree, that would be a great feature and easy to add, we already have it for terrain. I`ll run it by the programmers - maybe in a couple of weeks.
Sounds great. That's one of the things I think our editor does better currently, so I guess I'm a bit spoiled/biased ;)

feneur
12-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Thought of some more things:

It would be nice to be able to not be limited to the default pitch when editing. I guess it's mostly useful for screenshots, and to a smaller degree for cinematics, so it's not a big thing. Especially since you can always go into the cinematic mode to view the map from another angle.

Speaking of that it would be nice to have a "go to camera view" function that would allow you to click a button and go to a camera view you've set up before. As it is now you have to test the game to get back to the exact camera view you set.