PDA

View Full Version : Troop Management in MMORTS

MrBlack103
02-18-2009, 01:58 AM
I was just thinking about how annoying it is to adjust how many of each unit you send to a particuar location in most online RTS's. IMO it would be better if you could have the option of sending troops in "battalions". A player could personalize their settings, defining what sort of troops and how many of them are in 1 battalion, according to what tactics they usually use.

eg. A player sets 1 battalion to be 25 swordsmen and 10 archers. If they sent "4 battalions" to attack another player, they would be sending 100 swordsmen and 40 archers, thereby keeping the proportions of troops that they want, but attacking with a large army.

Just an idea, anyway.

The_Biz
02-18-2009, 02:16 AM
most games do some form of grouping selection. you select troops, press ctrl #, and then # whenever you want to select the group.

having config files with your personalized groupings might be a step in the right direction. instead of having to manually wade through your army and select a troop combination, it could do it for you.

The Witch King of Angmar
02-18-2009, 01:19 PM
There are going to be battalions in the game. ;)

Esculas the Mighty
02-18-2009, 06:44 PM
There are going to be battalions in the game. ;)

he knows that he meant personalized battalions

Andy Joslin
02-19-2009, 06:20 AM
I'll reveal a little bit about MMORTS army creation.

In MMORTS, moving your army around the world map is not similar to anything else. While you are viewing your homecity, click the world map button and the map pops up. You can click your city on the map, and then create an army with any or all of the troops (up to a limit, the limit gets higher as your army levels up) in your city. You can even bring peasants and horse carts. Each army you create requires a general (a hero). You start with one hero and get more through quests (this is subject to change).

Once your army is created with whatever resources (hmm, I wonder what army resources are for? =]) and units you want, you may left-click it on the map and right-click tomove it anywhere on the world map. The army in your homecity's actual RTS world will then walk out, and start to move slowly on the world map. When it is at a quest marker, you may click 'enter quest'. When you are over a region you want to enter, just click 'Pitch camp' and then 'view' to view your army in RTS mode at that region.

There are many more things to do with your army too, which will not be revealed.

Konstantin Fomenko
02-19-2009, 09:02 AM
I should also mention that armies have their own resources stockpile, and after army makes some gold for example in a quest, or a battle it would need to travel back to the city to "offload" these resources.

Army is also a full economic entity - with lots of way to gather and spend earned resources.

And with regard to the world map and your army - keep in mind - at any location on the world map, u can select your army and with one click you can switch to RTS view and see your army where it currently is and move it like that - hunt any NPCs around e.t.c

The Witch King of Angmar
02-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Wow, that seems pretty awesome. Now how will the world map work with other players on it? Will there just be one huge map or will it be divided into servers? Also, will players be able to get attacked on their route to a location?

Thanks for the info.

Esculas the Mighty
02-19-2009, 04:16 PM
i just cant wait to have my elite army haha that ive had since the beginning of my militaristic days that can crush any army that isnt seasoned with ease

nickson104
02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
i just cant wait to have my elite army haha that ive had since the beginning of my militaristic days that can crush any army that isnt seasoned with ease

Unless that army has had a loss which it didnt rout from... then i would guess they would all be eliminated including the hero... wiping out the army permenantly

Konstantin Fomenko
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Also, will players be able to get attacked on their route to a location? Yeah, so for example - getting your army to a quest location in a different region might be difficult, as your army might be attacked once in each region it passes. Your army does have an option to either pay some gold to the attacking player, or drop part of the resources it`s carrying and make a run for it.

Then i would guess they would all be eliminated including the hero... wiping out the army permanently
The hero who`s leading the army can`t be killed. Badly wounded he`ll be able to return to his home-city to heal and raise another army.

The Witch King of Angmar
02-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Will you be able to see other players on the map?

Thanks

Konstantin Fomenko
02-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Will you be able to see other players on the map?

I`m not at liberty to give you a full overview of the World Map gameplay...but to directly answer your question:

Not all the time - and what you`ll see on the World map is gonna be 1/100th of all user activity.

Our world map is somewhat similar to MMORPG games like WoW...but with gameplay similar Civ or Total War games, or better yet - think back to Knight of Honor.

Try to imagine such world map filled with thousands of cities and player armies all moving in real-time - that`s just not manageable.

We will finalize how much player will see on the world map during close beta testing. We will show armies and cities allied to the player - and perhaps units and cities which player can immediately fight against - that would already be enough to fill the world map. Also stuff like your player armies or cities under attack might be shown as well.

Our approach was to minimize micro-management with interacting with hundreds of players online in one region at once AND to allow for fair Player vs Player experience.

For example, your army of Level 5 is in Wold Region. There are 500 total player armies and 200 cities in the Wold Region. Out of these 300 armies and 70 cities are close to your armies level and can be engaged. I won`t get into specific details - but our approach would get your player vs player going in these conditions with-in a few seconds with your nearby allied armies/other player`s nearby allied armies joining into this battle.

crex719
02-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Great Idea, minimizes framerate drop and doesn't include things the player shouldnt care about anyway..

szebus
03-02-2009, 04:35 AM
What if , for example a lvl 5 player is attacked by another lvl 5 player and a 3rd player want to go to the defenders aid and it has lvl 10 ?

MrBlack103
03-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Good question - I am curious as to what happens here as well. If the lvl 10 player can't join then it takes away a lot of the need to join a powerful guild early on - you don't need the mutual protection as much. I am divided over whether this is good or bad.:p

Andy Joslin
03-03-2009, 05:10 AM
What if , for example a lvl 5 player is attacked by another lvl 5 player and a 3rd player want to go to the defenders aid and it has lvl 10 ?

Then you'll either need three or four attacking level 5 players, or perhaps you can risk attacking anyway..:)

Or the level 10 player might not be able to help. It's not definite.

szebus
03-03-2009, 05:28 AM
Than the same, a lvl 10 player can go to aid a lvl 5 player who ataks another lvl 5 player ? :D ... oh and reinforcements can come in to play even in the middle of the battle ?

Draco
03-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Everyone revealed here is awespme so far, tell us more!:p

The Witch King of Angmar
03-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Now, based off of what you said earlier Konstantin, will all these cities be different/customized based on how the enemy player designed them or will they all be the same?

Thanks (especially for that other info.)

Nimlot
03-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah, so for example - getting your army to a quest location in a different region might be difficult, as your army might be attacked once in each region it passes. Your army does have an option to either pay some gold to the attacking player, or drop part of the resources it`s carrying and make a run for it.

Can you set up traps? IE move an army to a "region" and then order them to hide and wait for an incoming army, and when it comes automatically attack?

I read about the "forest orcs" and that they were good with setting up deadly traps for the enemy :)
Can you do this? go to a forest, set up a trap with maybe hidden archers and/or actual snares(the original star wars Ewok net trap:)) and stuff and await a marching enemy army?

LiTos456
03-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Oh dude, that is so totally exactly what I wanna do... if that's possible I'm gonna love you guys.

Esculas the Mighty
05-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Unless that army has had a loss which it didnt rout from... then i would guess they would all be eliminated including the hero... wiping out the army permenantly

well of course f it have a lost it wouldnt be elite anymore just dead

OrcSlayer
05-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Does each reagoin have a limit to the armys in it at one time?

LiTos456
05-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Doubt it
Unless the game has multiple servers, like in Wow and such.

Meh 4 evar
05-11-2009, 06:55 AM
with the lvl 5 vs. 5 and a lvl 10 army comes to help, you could make a timer vissible for both players, that shows when reinforcements come (the lvl 10 army) in this way, the lvl 5 army that is hostile with the lvl 10 can retreat.
This ofcourse requires that it takes time to get reinforcements in.