PDA

View Full Version : Voice chat

Lordadamar
02-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Seeing that this is an MMO will there be an in game voice chat?

SOE pulled this with EQ2 I know you could just use Ventrillo or Teamspeak but I have found the in game VC's get the people talking that are less computer literate and cant figure out those 3rd party VC's

This would be an awesome add-in especially from an RTS stand point..

Darvin
02-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Voice chat isn't as necessary in RTS games because control is discrete and not continuous. I don't need to hold down the forward key to keep a unit moving, I just need to give it an order to move. As a result, there is almost always an opening to quickly type a message with little ramification.

The_Biz
02-07-2009, 02:12 PM
depends on how much attention you need to devote

this seems like a game where you will have thousands of units to control. more units might demand more attention and more APM = less time to chat

The Witch King of Angmar
02-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I agree. I have never been one for voice chat. It reminds me too much of Xbox.

Darvin
02-07-2009, 06:23 PM
depends on how much attention you need to devote

this seems like a game where you will have thousands of units to control. more units might demand more attention and more APM = less time to chat

Totally disagree; it takes way less attention to type than to talk.

The_Biz
02-07-2009, 10:10 PM
physically, you can voicechat and issue commands to your units at the same time

having a chatbox pop up reduces you to typing and not giving any unit orders while you do it

Darvin
02-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't know about you, but it takes me under a second to type what I want to say. Typically there are breaks, even in a major battle, where you can afford to send a message.

Personally, I actually find it takes a lot of focus to talk in the middle of a battle, and I basically can't micromanage while talking. Alternately, typing takes relatively little focus and I can express myself quickly and in a manner that does not disrupt the flow of gameplay.

For my part, I certainly wouldn't use voice chat if conventional text chat was available.

fyro11
02-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I personally think voice chat would be a good addition, if it doesn't wreck the game.

Andy Joslin
02-09-2009, 02:31 PM
This is another unimportant feature that, to be added, would require less time spent on gameplay.

szebus
03-03-2009, 04:57 AM
If not voice chat but will there be a mass ingame text chat ?

The Witch King of Angmar
03-03-2009, 07:26 AM
I couldn't see why not.

Darvin
03-03-2009, 11:37 AM
If not voice chat but will there be a mass ingame text chat ?
That should go without saying. There isn't a multiplayer game out there that doesn't have text chat, and from a programming perspective it's trivial to implement.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 06:59 PM
well thats a shame... still would be fun if a voice system could be implemented for like friends/clan members for coordination and stuff... then again... ventrilo isnt all that hard to setup :o

LoveToKill
05-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Sorry to disagree with you game devs but i have to say i find voice chat neccesitale in An rts Given i havent had the opertunity to play but unless your maps are huge i could easly see where typeing will take away from gameplay i look down to type so now im serching for keys to hit sometimes and then trying to explain a plan on top of all that while manuveringmy own army then haveing to back space when my advesary changes there movements in every RTS that i play i have voice chat SC2 for example in 2v2 its Nice to have however i could type but it takes longer to do for some as a quick tap of a button and 3 seconds later your entire message or correctionto the message are made.

That being said however do i think its need to put one in the game no most ppl know of team speak or Vent and those who dont willlearn quickly but in those snap second decisions honestly you have to have it you could Lose alota troops trying to type.

Yami-Yagari
05-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Have to agree with LoveToKill, when formulating battleplans, typing would be a real waste of time during a battle. And especially with 2v2 and bigger battles, or guildwar battles, you don't have time to keep typing or it will cost you units. Voice chat would be a lot more practical in those situations.

LoveToKill
05-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't know about you, but it takes me under a second to type what I want to say. Typically there are breaks, even in a major battle, where you can afford to send a message.

Personally, I actually find it takes a lot of focus to talk in the middle of a battle, and I basically can't micromanage while talking. Alternately, typing takes relatively little focus and I can express myself quickly and in a manner that does not disrupt the flow of gameplay.

For my part, I certainly wouldn't use voice chat if conventional text chat was available.

OMG guild wars would be nuts and trying to counter act there moves would be a pain in the arse 5 on 5 id love to see the kid who thinks he could type all that up then exspect everyone to read However i will re emphassis my point I DONT THINK they need voice chat in the game Key words NEED get TS or ventrilo stop being cheap / Lazy. allthough alota games have it now it usually sucks and you cant hear the other guy so really you need vent or TS anyway :x

GPS51
05-18-2010, 05:31 PM
I'd agree that VoiP or the equivelant in game doesn't work well ever. But a 3rd party idea is the best way to go.

The Witch King of Angmar
05-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Yeah voice chat is more and RPG kind of thing. I don't necessarily see how it could be useful in RTS. Worth bringing up, though.

Ignore my previous post.

Thanks

LoveToKill
05-18-2010, 07:11 PM
well ina big battle where you have to cordinate with others i assure you its vital my friend one mistake could cost a battle

GPS51
05-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Yeah 3v3s are much more fun with voice chat. Besides the entertainment value is very high :D

LoveToKill
05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I wonder how high the PVP will actully get could it reach 10 on 10 maybe :x

GPS51
05-18-2010, 11:00 PM
That would be a blast if you were doing a siege battle. Can you imagine all the projectiles etc. Way better then even the trailer!

Yami-Yagari
05-19-2010, 01:22 AM
I wonder how high the PVP will actully get could it reach 10 on 10 maybe :x

Well, considering that battles go through player to player connection, i doubt you'll see much of it. Will either be very laggy, or your game will freeze or DC.

Gruber12
07-30-2010, 04:51 AM
I say a ingame voice chat would be good cause then people could listen to my sexy accent :D

Khan kreiger
07-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Well thats pretty....uh not straight, considering we have only found out that there is one girl and i dont think any guy would sayy "oh sexy accent man". But no the chat would be horrible no offence what if your mic messes up when its getting intense and then you loose the battle. I have only played one game that has voice commands and it was decent i think it was some tom clancy game not sure but i prefer my rts games with the push of a button:)

blackfang
07-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Well thats pretty....uh not straight, considering we have only found out that there is one girl and i dont think any guy would sayy "oh sexy accent man". But no the chat would be horrible no offence what if your mic messes up when its getting intense and then you loose the battle. I have only played one game that has voice commands and it was decent i think it was some tom clancy game not sure but i prefer my rts games with the push of a button:)

try my style, talking to yourself on broadcast talking:D It always stirs a few people from their quietness when i say things they would never have found out if they met me:o

freakoor
08-03-2010, 04:41 PM
I have only played one game with Voice Chat and I have to say it seemed a lot more beneficial to me than a hassle. If you want to talk you can, if you don't want to you don't have to. It frees up your hands for doing things that require attention (typing a breathy long message takes more time than saying it). Of course people will have the option of turning it on and off I assume but I think the option being there would still appeal to some people, whether its a content addon later or at launch.

Peppovitch
08-28-2010, 05:09 PM
I personally feel that voice chat is an invaluable asset for any team based game. It allows people to convey specific and detailed messages quickly without having to simplify it for typing.

For example; In an RTS game i may want to tell my teammate to patrol a specific location on the map and prepare a defense for against a specific strategy. Typing this out would either force me to spend time writing out a long message or require me to leave out details for sake of brevity. Speaking directly to the person allows me convey the exact message i want in a timely manner that is much more easily understood and simplified.

Although I fully agree with the use of voice chat in team based games, I also notice that ingame VC's tend to not work near as well as they would need to in order to be fully effective. At times the volume is not consistent, or the push to talk key has a very laggy response. These problems with ingame VC's do make typing more prudent unless a 3rd party program is used.

If it could be done well, the option to use ingame voice chat might be a nice addition later on down the road. Certainly not necessary for release.

Josh Warner
08-28-2010, 06:15 PM
This isn't an MMORPG, you don't need dozens+ people on the same channel or server, you can set up a free server of Ventrilo that would offer better control/options, better quality and wouldn't take developer time. And it's again, free. You could also use skype, which is the same better quality, better control/options. There's no way we can create an in-game service that is better, more convenient? Perhaps, but poor quality, lots of developer time, etc. just makes it pointless. I've played plenty of games with in-game voip - I have NEVER used it more than a few times to realize it's terrible. Ventrilo and skype are both always superior.

GPS51
08-28-2010, 07:15 PM
I've used skype for years for rts game coordination. It's easy and free :)

Henry Martin
08-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I've only just started using skype. otherwise I don't chat with other players. All the MMOs I've played, I was a loner.

teejai
08-29-2010, 05:05 PM
I've only just started using skype. otherwise I don't chat with other players. All the MMOs I've played, I was a loner.

Was it your choice or was it because... you have krabs? ;)

Henry Martin
08-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Was it your choice or was it because... you have krabs? ;)

good one.:D , but I don't have them u have them. the key word/letter is U. I'm just pointing out other peoples problems.

Peppovitch
08-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Be careful if you are hanging around that many people with krabs. Don't use their bathroom! :eek:

teejai
08-30-2010, 03:37 PM
good one.:D , but I don't have them u have them. the key word/letter is U. I'm just pointing out other peoples problems.

You found out my secret :(

Gruber12
08-31-2010, 06:46 AM
You found out my secret

I heard to get rid of em you put some stones in the bottom of your bath, fill it up with water, get in the unplug the bath and when the water goes down the crabs go with the tide

doramide7
10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
physically, you can voicechat and issue commands to your units at the same time

having a chatbox pop up reduces you to typing and not giving any unit orders while you do it

SonicMonkey
01-20-2011, 11:31 AM
typing isn't bad. And while I can definately get off what I need quickly...it's just so much easier to simply say. "I need help over on the right side with these catapults" than typing it out. Plus responses are faster etc. You don't have someone missing chat because it scrolled off the screen to fast etc.

Voice chat is a GREAT benefit to any game that relys on teamwork. On games like SupCom 1 and 2 as well as starcraft all my friends and I use a teamspeak server. It just saves time and effort.

ladyelysium
01-20-2011, 11:32 AM
There is always TeamSpeak or Ventrilo if people really want to talk to one another as they game.

Rycon
01-20-2011, 03:48 PM
I would not mind an in-game voice chat but there are other programs which can do this.

Kauu
01-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Teamspeak 3 is perfect for RTS games. I have a dedicated server with a consistent group of RTS's playing SupCom 2, StarCraft 2, and the like. I'll definitely be using it in some form for DoF.

DarkLord7854
01-20-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm inclined to lean towards having voice chat. Makes for much easier and faster communication during crucial battle sequences

akyko
01-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Voice chat isn't as necessary in RTS games because control is discrete and not continuous. I don't need to hold down the forward key to keep a unit moving, I just need to give it an order to move. As a result, there is almost always an opening to quickly type a message with little ramification.
Does this mean that combat is going to be slower then Starcraft where you need a high APM and good macro and micro to succecced? If so how much slower do you think it willl be? Also what are you considering the average a person can type per min?

Kashindo
01-21-2011, 08:00 AM
I think there are more important things to work on. Even if you have never been on a ts server you can "learn" it quick how to get on it. In addition there are Games wich have a voicechat but the players don't use it because they have their ts or ventrillo, so it would be wasted time to develop it.

furanlost
01-21-2011, 02:33 PM
If they do a voice chat for the game, then I hope it is done right and not a half done voip. For example Battlefield Bad Company 2, great game, not so great voip. in game voice chat would be nice but as other have pointed out not neccessary with other voice chat programs like team speak 3 or ventrilo. The thing is, and I'm saying this from how my guild operates, it is easier to just chat with ingame voice with someone new/ someone not in your guild than typing they should get ventrilo if they don't have it and have them only use it a few times because there were personality conflicts that were yet undiscovered at that point in time.

Oaktotem
01-22-2011, 03:32 PM
I am in favor of having a lightweight vc in the game. The minimum requirements for this game are pretty low and I don't think a vc would add to much overhead. That being said the other option would just be to download ventrillo. WoW has a voice client and nobody used it. They all went to ventrillo or teamspeak or mumble anyways.

aftershockzap
01-25-2011, 02:46 PM
WoW took far too long to impliment a voice client really so by that time people were already used to using Vent/TS2.

Shadowhand
01-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Voice chat is always handy as its faster than typing 99% of the time :P

Desthin
01-25-2011, 03:07 PM
I've never really been much of a talker with voice chat stuff, ill join a channel on vent or TS when i play a game, but ill just sit in the channel and listen, then respond in text.

I get the bonus of 50% faster reactions from others, and i get to work on my typing which is SUPER important.

In either case, i think that if people really want to use a voice chat system, they should go out of their way to figure one out that other people use, not everything in life can be handed to you on a silver platter ;)

Loose Morals
01-29-2011, 09:39 PM
in game voice chat is a waste of time in my opinion, vent and TS are great for this sort of thing. ive played some games like lotro where the ingame chat just isnt up to scratch and people ended up using thier own voice comms anyway.

for those who worry about folks not having the computer savvy to join a ts/vent server consider this as a kind of vetting proscess. if people cant follow simple step by step instructions on how to join 1 of these servers, are they really the kind of people you want on your team?:rolleyes:

eternal2u
01-30-2011, 11:26 PM
honestly never seen a good in-game voice services form an mmo. would much rather keep my vent.

Yngwie
01-31-2011, 09:16 AM
ingame voice chat could be anoying, i prefer the use of a mumble server

Conceive
02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
There is always TeamSpeak or Ventrilo if people really want to talk to one another as they game.

Like above stated if you want to have voice chat there are various different venues and avenues you can use to "be heard"

In any game I have ever played players have always adapted, made acronyms to make it so they're not typing as much or shortcuts... I hate to say it but thats how "leet speak" came about. I personally will try and use ventrilo or teamspeak (more likely vent its easier to use imo)

adding an in game voice chat will more then likely increase server lagg and latency and no one wants that

Kaos90
02-14-2011, 01:27 PM
honestly never seen a good in-game voice services form an mmo. would much rather keep my vent.

Agreed. Most in game voice systems do not offer the quality that other programs like ventrillo can

Bairdo
02-14-2011, 02:43 PM
3rd party voice chat wouldbe best

wiredpenguin
02-14-2011, 04:30 PM
I can see where Voice Chat may not be as necessary in an RTS environment, but I think that will depend on how large guild and alliance battles will be (EVE Online for example, where VC is ESSENTIAL during fleet battles). In a guild vs. guild battle where you may be coordinating with 20 or 30 actual players then VC would be extremely useful and I do think that 3rd party programs such as Vent or TS would be the best solution.

However, playing devil's advocate for a moment, 3rd party programs do provide an extra hurdle of technology for players and not everyone will navigate that hurdle with equal prowess. In-game VC would make it easily accessible to all players.

I think it may be something to keep on a sticky note for future consideration (after seeing the scope of battles, the actual use of complex tactics, etc.) rather than something that needs developer resources in the coming months.

cableslice
02-22-2011, 12:55 PM
In-game Voice chat would be nice.

Lanolin
02-22-2011, 11:55 PM
What the hell is the point of an in game voice chat when so many third party chat servers are on the net? Blizzard implemented a in game voice chat into WoW about 2 years ago, nobody uses it at all. I like to talk to teammates when I'm playing any game, but in game voice chats are practically useless now. Use ventrilo, skype, mumble or any of the dozens of chat servers that are out there.