PDA

View Full Version : Mounted units

nickson104
01-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Okay it has been said many times but i think i may have missed something. It has been said that 'many' units could mount/unmount is that limited,
e.g knights can monut/unmount
or hopefully 'i have 5 horses i shall put 2 spearmen, 2 archers and a swordsman on them'
I have only seen a few games implement the second idea but i think it would be amazing to make all human units able to mount horses, orcs probably wouldnt or at least not much elves perhaps... or perhaps you could incorporate it into the unit skill ladder that comes from the rpg side, perhaps you could spend X amount of points to give the unit the ability to mount

Sorry if i am asking questions already asked or answered or have no relevance :)

Puppeteer
02-01-2009, 05:52 AM
I don't think that all low-level units should. Archers and spearmen wouldn't necessarily have been trained to ride a horse, let alone be able to wield the weapon when they get up there.

frankein_fish
02-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Well as far as i know u can mount most of the human units on horses, not sure about orcs tough but u can atleast mount some of their units on wolfs.
im not sure 'bout the elves since there hasent been alot mentioned on that topic...

Andy Joslin
02-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Some elven units will mount unicorns.

Humans - it is still indefinite what will be able to mount.

MrBlack103
02-02-2009, 02:50 AM
I think the "training to ride" idea of Nickson's is worth considering.:)

Garry
02-02-2009, 03:40 AM
Who can answer - where I can download or buy this game?

Puppeteer
02-02-2009, 04:37 AM
Not yet, it's not been released yet.

Garry
02-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Maybe somebody know, when it will be released?

nickson104
02-03-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't think that all low-level units should. Archers and spearmen wouldn't necessarily have been trained to ride a horse, let alone be able to wield the weapon when they get up there.

No truth be told many wouldnt, that would need special training... but wouldnt it be awesome to have a mounted army? it would be costly and time consuming but the speeds would be much improved perhaps at a cost of accuracy but it would be useful :) Many armies revolved around their cavalry... And you cant say you dont get mounted archers... and of course you get lancers and such :)

Another question... can you change your units basic weapons? For example a normal sword into a 2 handed sword, a spear into a pike. For example you get 20 infantry, you give 10 spears 5 swords and 5 maces... or would you simplify it into making different unit sets

Joseph Visscher
02-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Maybe somebody know, when it will be released?

When dawn of fantasy is released you might be able to buy and download it from our publisher, Lighthouse Interactive, otherwise you will be able to buy it from stores like other games.
Lighthouse Interactive Dawn of Fantasy web page. (http://www.lighthouse-interactive.com/Dawn-of-Fantasy)

No truth be told many wouldnt, that would need special training... but wouldnt it be awesome to have a mounted army? it would be costly and time consuming but the speeds would be much improved perhaps at a cost of accuracy but it would be useful :) Many armies revolved around their cavalry... And you cant say you dont get mounted archers... and of course you get lancers and such :)

Another question... can you change your units basic weapons? For example a normal sword into a 2 handed sword, a spear into a pike. For example you get 20 infantry, you give 10 spears 5 swords and 5 maces... or would you simplify it into making different unit sets

We are still actually working on a lot of things including mountable units and what does what. Although already most normal units do have abilities that gives them pros and cons; shield wall, rage, stealth, firearrows to name a few.
Having a two handed swordsman is defiantly a good ability for stronger attacks. Although without his shield he would become sliced and diced in moments against a Grand Master. :p

Andy Joslin
02-03-2009, 02:33 PM
When dawn of fantasy is released you might be able to buy and download it from our publisher, Lighthouse Interactive, otherwise you will be able to buy it from stores like other games.
We also plan to release on Steam.

No truth be told many wouldnt, that would need special training... but wouldnt it be awesome to have a mounted army? it would be costly and time consuming but the speeds would be much improved perhaps at a cost of accuracy but it would be useful Many armies revolved around their cavalry... And you cant say you dont get mounted archers... and of course you get lancers and such

That sounds kind of like the Orcs to me.:cool:

nickson104
02-03-2009, 03:30 PM
We also plan to release on Steam.

That sounds kind of like the Orcs to me.:cool:

Steam? :( that engine wreaked havoc on my pc last time i downloaded it :( ah well :p

and orcs ya it does a bit hehe :)

and as for the 2 handers getting sliced and diced by masters... most would have a minimal training unless facing a unit which had seen many battles or a hero, or of course one of the elven few but strong soldiers

MrBlack103
02-04-2009, 02:47 AM
I myself am looking forward to seeing the elven "defender" in action. I think that's what the dual-wielding swordsman's called, anyway... :\

Andy Joslin
02-04-2009, 08:57 AM
We changed his name to 'Bladestorm' from 'High Elven Defender'. It is less vague and it fits better.

And yes, he is quite cool. One of his idle animations is to 'fondle' (brush off) his sword.:)

Puppeteer
02-04-2009, 12:03 PM
And you cant say you dont get mounted archers... and of course you get lancers and such
Naturally, but it's harder than it looks. And it looks impossible from my point of view in any case. N'oublie pas, lances aren't the same as pikes.

nickson104
02-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Naturally, but it's harder than it looks. And it looks impossible from my point of view in any case. N'oublie pas, lances aren't the same as pikes.

Of course they are, i never quite said they were the same but they roughly are the same and at least work on the same principles... and yes of course it would be harder than it looks... to balance on the horse, draw the bow, get an aim and manage to fire it correctly....

Puppeteer
02-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Pikes could be: made from much heavier materials; have longer shafts and no grip other than the pole itself. Lances, although roughly the same shape, have to: be made of lighter materials; be shorter in comparison and have an allocated grip space, to allow for balance and the restricted movement when mounted.

nickson104
02-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Pikes could be: made from much heavier materials; have longer shafts and no grip other than the pole itself. Lances, although roughly the same shape, have to: be made of lighter materials; be shorter in comparison and have an allocated grip space, to allow for balance and the restricted movement when mounted.

Okay you win, their similar but not that similar :p i feel so stupid now for persistently being wrong :p

szebus
04-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Is it posible to dismount mounted units ? and first the mount dies then the soldier ?

Joseph Visscher
04-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Is it posible to dismount mounted units ? and first the mount dies then the soldier ?

We are still in production with this, Hopefully both. ;)

Gigz
04-24-2009, 10:20 AM
can we expect a variety of mounts , as in some that focus on speed some on survival and some with special abilities and so forth , also will there be more unique mounts as in more diversity than others game with traditional horse and stuff as in can we expect unique mount styles and stuff from Dawn of Fantasy ^^

nickson104
04-24-2009, 10:33 AM
can we expect a variety of mounts , as in some that focus on speed some on survival and some with special abilities and so forth , also will there be more unique mounts as in more diversity than others game with traditional horse and stuff as in can we expect unique mount styles and stuff from Dawn of Fantasy ^^

Humans get horses, elves unicorns and orcs wargs (or similar) if i remember rightly....

OrcSlayer
04-25-2009, 05:53 AM
can elves mount unicorns im sure somwhere it said they can't

nickson104
04-25-2009, 06:22 AM
can elves mount unicorns im sure somwhere it said they can't

i thought so but i cant be sure of it... but it wouldbe cool right? :)

OrcSlayer
04-25-2009, 06:24 AM
yeah with unicorns who needs spears

Grizzlez
04-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Personally i've never pictured unicorns as beasts of war, so riding them into battle would be really wierd to me.

Andy Joslin
04-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh, we have units mounting unicorns (http://reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13685#post13685), all right.

Mrdash
04-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Unicorns are mounted in The Chronicles of Narnia series XD I believe thats fantasy.

OrcSlayer
04-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Thx for clearing that up:)

Esculas the Mighty
04-26-2009, 01:53 AM
Oh, we have units mounting unicorns (http://reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13685#post13685), all right.

lols!!!

cant wait to pwn with unicorn knights xD

Gigz
04-26-2009, 10:42 AM
then I ask again , can we expect different mounts for differ rents use , as small fast horses for scout or ligh infantry and big war horses for knights and such , like real medieval era , Medieval total war come to mind since that game taught me allot on that aspect ^^

LiTos456
04-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Will orcs have wargs (sorry if this has been dicussed already)?

Mrdash
04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
It's been discussed but I don't think its been confirmed/denied yet.

LiTos456
04-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Ah ok. Well they do need some kind of mounts..

Joseph Visscher
04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Yes, Orcs do have Wargs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warg), as a mountable unit, a military unit and possibly a economic unit ( Slaughter-able like livestock for Food.)

LiTos456
04-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah I rememebr now, I seen them on somes creenshots. Thanks.

Cobra
04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
A carnivore as a livestock food source? Seems like that could get costly, ten percent rule and all that. Maybe just have the option to eat the mount if you're running low on resources?

Tyrael-SF-
05-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Seeing as how Dragons will be mercenaries can units mount on them?

szebus
05-11-2009, 12:25 PM

If not ,then I hope, you do have the option to feed them with Warg's :p

nickson104
05-11-2009, 05:17 PM

If not perhaps a mod? hehe :) can see it now, a single elven archer astride a dragon raining arrows haphazardly on the battlefield below....

Tyrael-SF-
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
If not ,then I hope, you do have the option to feed them with Warg's :p

Lol yeah that would be fair awesome, it'd be great to like use a dragon as a scout and flying through the battlefield to get a general view of the terrain would be really sweet. :cool:

Kell Aset
05-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Yes dragons are like that, if I remember well they have the biggest range of sight.

If not perhaps a mod? hehe :) can see it now, a single elven archer astride a dragon raining arrows haphazardly on the battlefield below....

Dragons carrying "boxes" - troop transport, like in Dungeon Siege 2, that is interesting idea too.

nickson104
05-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Yes dragons are like that, if I remember well they have the biggest range of sight.

Dragons carrying "boxes" - troop transport, like in Dungeon Siege 2, that is interesting idea too.

Good point... :) and have a whole troop of mercenaries evacuate it to join the fight eh? :p

Alex Walz
05-12-2009, 11:12 PM
So if you find an idle mount (or you kill the rider but the mount is still alive), you can capture that mount and use it, right?

So what would happen if the humans captured a warg?

MrBlack103
05-13-2009, 02:15 AM
If not perhaps a mod? hehe can see it now, a single elven archer astride a dragon raining arrows haphazardly on the battlefield below....
Not to mention the archer's only job is to pick off those (very) lucky people that missed getting roasted.

LiTos456
05-13-2009, 06:51 AM
So if you find an idle mount (or you kill the rider but the mount is still alive), you can capture that mount and use it, right?

Maybe heroes can use them? Because I think you make mounted units separantly, and they already have horses so there's really no need for capturing mounts..?

nickson104
05-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Maybe your mounts are still alligned to you after their rider has died? for example wargs would still attack and so would unicorns :) but then again.... i doubt horses would....

wou129
05-13-2009, 10:07 AM
or if a rider got pusd of his mount he can pick a other one :cool:

Mrdash
05-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Since they are using batalions it wouldn't work very well. Since if theres only one horse/warg/unicorn and theres 8 guys in the batalion.

Although I understand being able to capture mounts and send them elsewhere until you have enough for your batalion.

Ok looks like I spelled batalion wrong and its seriously anoying my real bad XD

fyro11
05-14-2009, 08:52 AM

How would this concept apply to batallions?

I can understand having a stables where one can go and mount his archers, spearmen etc, but finding one unmounted warg on the battlefield does not make sense to me.

szebus
05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
How about collecting unmounted mounts after battle like the rest of the resources ?

Kell Aset
05-14-2009, 11:00 AM
That is reasonable indeed.

Mrdash
05-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Wow you guys just repeated what my post said. Congratulations XD

OrcSlayer
05-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Do you not think unicorns would not be able to be tamed by orcs and wargs would be more likly to eat its own rider than be captured be Humans