PDA

View Full Version : Breathtaking

Kratabre
01-30-2009, 11:12 AM
I've got to hand it you guys, this game looks amazing. Innovative gameplay, great new engine, MMORTS, etc.

When this comes out it will set some definite standards in the industry. Your corpse looting idea and the mounting system are unheard of in the RTS genre, the graphics look good, and it sounds like it will have a good balance of Micro and Macro (essential to any RTS). I'm really excited.

Your one flaw? You said it was going to be released early 07, its early 09. There isn't even news of a beta at this point. My question is simple: when will it be released?

Other than that, I applaud Reverie for their excellent work. I intend to purchase DoF and will look into any future titles that you guys release. :)

The Witch King of Angmar
01-30-2009, 11:45 AM
It will hopefully be released spring or summer of 09. A beta should be soon.

Andy Joslin
01-30-2009, 01:14 PM
You would not be saying 'breathtaking' if we released in '07. You'd be saying 'mediocre'. :)

An extra two years gives us time to make a really great game.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Joseph Visscher
01-30-2009, 01:40 PM
I don't think it would be "mediocre" in 2007 it would be "Give me my money back"; and this is what we do not want our customers to say in 2009. Therefore we are going to release when the game is finished and ready, I for one, do not think Dawn of Fantasy should be rushed at all like so many other games.
one thing I do think we need is a update to our media and sites,,, they are pretty much all wrong on release dates.

Seen as all of the sites and release dates are wrong they should be updated with the official one huh?
The official date of release is: xx/xx/2009
(x is unknown number)

just kidding, sort of. :p

Darvin
01-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I for one, do not think Dawn of Fantasy should be rushed at all like so many other games.

Or any title for that matter. It's always refreshing when someone puts forth the time and effort to do things right, although to be fair many don't have that opportunity. That's why I've got my hopes up for DoF.

iceblast
01-30-2009, 02:20 PM
yea i think the web needs updating.

u say the game will be good are u sure??

joke :P i await paitently until i can preorder from play or amazon :L

The_Biz
01-30-2009, 02:57 PM
release date:

xx/xx/20xx

Darvin
01-30-2009, 09:36 PM
We can be certain of 2009 this time around; they're on the hook with a publisher, after all.

The Witch King of Angmar
01-31-2009, 11:05 AM
If not a release, Reverie should give us something. I'd be fine with another video or two. But, I'd love to try out the beta more than anything. :D :D :D

Sacrelege
05-12-2009, 05:45 AM
i cant wait untill this game goes live, or beta if i can get in ;) ive been waiting for this game ever since my first rts so a few more months isnt going to kill me...i suppose:)

Liljagare
05-12-2009, 07:55 AM
I still like how it looks, and it seems like fun, but keep wondering how similar it will feel to Battle For Middle Earth it will "feel".

Ryan Zelazny
05-12-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm going to go a bit off topic here with my rant, but it's all to do with our release date postings and the story behind them so here we go...

I have to give a thanks to all our fans who have stuck with us and watched DoF grow as we've built it. We started this in November 2001 and even though our staff and our game has changed, a lot of the fans who have joined have stuck around and really made us feel great about what we do. Without your support our jobs wouldn't be as rewarding as they are.

With so many release dates posted and gone you've come to notice a trend and that's "push back, push back, push back". This trend is because of a few factors, number one us being a young developer, this is our first title and so it's been hard for us to get off the ground. We started like you guys, on a forum talking about games and we decided to make one (well, the founders did anyway, I joined afterwards). But we've done pretty much the impossible, atleast what most major developers and publishers think is impossible, we've designed a fun, good looking game that can compete with theirs with basically no budget. We started with 0 and we got some lucky breaks due to the diligence of our team and especially our producer, Konstantin and programming director John. They turned a bunch of kids who wanted to make a game into a fully incorporated developer.

Even with a success story like that, that deteriorated a lot of the progress in our game. We had to become realistic, and this is something that sucks to hear and it was really hard for us to admit it, but in 1 title we can't do everything we want. This has been our second hinderance, we wanted to do so much that when we branched out and tried to do it, we ended up harming the progress of the core game you see emerging. If we wanted to do everything else you would be expecting a 2010 or even 2011 release, and the longer we took the worse we looked in the eyes of publishers. So we ended up having to bite the bullet, cut things out (3 other factions), add things in (mmorts, xbox 360 version) and put together a schedule that can make us both profitable, yet something the fans could really enjoy.

However there are a lot of positives that have come out of this predicament. We've made mistakes, ones we have learnt from so that continuing on we can make a great game and do it in a timely fashion. We will have proven we can design games, games that not only can compete with existing big budget titles, but that can set standards within the genre.

Darvin is correct, you can expect to see DoF on shelves in 2009, and no one could be more excited than us developers. To know that you've toiled away for X many years, some ranging all the way from the full 8 to perhaps 1 or 2 just gives you a great sense of accomplishment. We can only hope that we live up to your expectations, and for all the things you've missed in DoF that we planned to add, or some of the great suggestions you've given us that we'll do our best to work into DoF expansions and DoF 2.

fyro11
05-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Bravo! *Clap...clap*

*Looks around* Hey! Am I the only one here?

No, seriously though. I can fully understand the amount of effort such an endeavour would need. I'm sure many other past efforts have failed as well, so bravo once again.

nickson104
05-12-2009, 04:12 PM
indeed bravo... brilliant speech :) sounds professional too... are you the spokesperson? :p :) well after reading that i actually feel quite special to be a part of this community, i dont think there is any other community that can compete with this one in many aspects

LiTos456
05-12-2009, 04:44 PM
12/21/2012

Hell Yea