PDA

View Full Version : An Idea for Hero and Town Customization

Dreamwalker
11-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Customization is great. But which is more important: hero or town? Well, how about both?

Here's an idea to combine them:

It always seemed to me that your hero, and other important NPCs, never had any where good to live. Do they just live in your town center thingy, or in a house like the peasants? Does it make sense for the Princess Alidea to live in a shack? Does it make sense for your hero to be a homeless bum?

Why not make a building to serve as the hero's house?

It could be that you had to of have reached a certain point in the campaign to build it; for instance, when you are given the rank of Strategos in the elven campaign. A higher rank such as this gives you the privilege to build a fancy home for yourself.

And this home has a bigger purpose than just giving your hero a place to sleep: it gives you the power to customize your hero.

When you select the home, various buttons will appear just like any building. One of these will take you to a screen where you can alter your hero both in appearence (including gender) and in equipment (weapons, armor, magic artifacts), which effects their stats. Though there should already be plenty of options to choose from, more can be added as rewards for important quests and special PvP events; rewards like special armor and magical weapons. Also, there should be an option to name your hero.

Some of the other buttons will also effect your hero in some way, such as various upgrades. There could also be buttons that bring up screens allowing you to customize your town, such as banner designing.

Perhaps most importantly, your house can be upgraded by spending influence. A bigger house gives you access to more customizations (though not the rewards from above; just more regular stuff); and if there if some limit on the number of equipment pieces you can have, it can be increased by upgrading the house.

I know this kinda thing is a long way off, but the idea just wouldn't go away. And just think of all the other customizations the hero's house, or other new buildings, could have...

Anyway, tell me what you think! :D

andreicde
11-09-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm totally up for hero customization,not sure when it will be done though since the devs changed the dates a bit.

Alex Walz
11-10-2011, 05:10 PM
I like your ideas. :) But maybe instead of a hero's house, we could look into upgrades for the Town Hall/Settlement/Grand Hut to fortify these buildings into actual castle-type structures.

Dreamwalker
11-11-2011, 01:03 PM
That would be awesome--I was just thinking that the settlement-type building had too many buttons already. ;)

Konstantin Fomenko
11-11-2011, 02:44 PM
This is actually sort of what we had in mind - player would get a new building where he gets to upgrade and customize his hero. Unfortunately this will only be added at the same time as we add hero customization - and that`s only in December.

Dreamwalker
11-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately this will only be added at the same time as we add hero customization - and that`s only in December

Well, it's already November 11; December's not that far off! :D

And personally, I kinda like how the elf hero looks, it's just the other heroes...(though the human hero's dialouge is funny, with all his bloody enemies:p )

Speaking of dialouge, could there be an option to change your hero's voice/lines? It would be pretty cool...

SethWms
11-11-2011, 03:56 PM
*crosses fingers for banner design*

Dreamwalker
11-11-2011, 04:14 PM

I know how you feel:D ; it's something that sounds pathetically easy to put in (I mean, it's just pictures, anyway), but somehow next to no games have it. Would be great to see all the custom banners; maybe the designs could even be transferred to units (like on shields and capes)?

nuraiel
11-12-2011, 05:32 AM

I have to admit, I've got some mixed feeling about that.

On the pro side, custom banners (and colours?) would be totally awesome.

On the con side, the "Dawn of War Effect"*

It is a bit of a problem :/

* This refers to the, all to common, situation where you would see enemy space marines with a black, white, red colourscheme raise swastika-flags on the controlpoints -.-

andreicde
11-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Lol if hero customization is in December,that means it will be close lol,since December is just around the corner!

Konstantin Fomenko
11-12-2011, 09:11 AM

Yap we are working on this as well - attached is a terrible, terrible low quality screenshot:) We just need to finish the interface for putting these together.

Griegor Mcvennor
11-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Heh,
That looks more like a hero graveyard. I guess the ability to customize one's tombstone is nice. :)

drema12
11-26-2011, 12:59 PM
I know how you feel:D ; it's something that sounds pathetically easy to put in (I mean, it's just pictures, anyway), but somehow next to no games have it. Would be great to see all the custom banners; maybe the designs could even be transferred to units (like on shields and capes)?

I know i only joined today and haven't actually played the game yet because the CD says the time limit has expired but ive pmed about that so dont worry but, this idea seems really cool. It would be great to implement a banner design onto your units to give them a more personal and individual feel. Also if you play online alot your units or the sight of your banner could become something to be feared at sight! i know that sounds ridiculous but if your reputation is great your army will send off an invisible aura to players and make them tremble in their boots but that idea is just mental and not physical. Anyway i would love making a design to put on my units sheild or cape, and perhaps even have a flag holder assigned to every unit? would be awesome.:p

GPS51
11-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah there's a post somewhere on the forums that showed 300? banners that are waiting to be implemented :D

chellebell1689
12-10-2011, 10:36 AM
I have to admit, I've got some mixed feeling about that.

On the pro side, custom banners (and colours?) would be totally awesome.

On the con side, the "Dawn of War Effect"*

It is a bit of a problem :/

* This refers to the, all to common, situation where you would see enemy space marines with a black, white, red colour scheme raise swastika-flags on the contro lpoints -.-

I'm sure they would be able to put a limit on the customization. (If it's not too much work.) Maybe have set designs that you can alter here and there and just the colors; just to control and make sure nothing too offensive happens.

chellebell1689
12-10-2011, 10:39 AM
That would be awesome--I was just thinking that the settlement-type building had too many buttons already. ;)

I agree! I love the idea about having a special building for my hero and being able to customize him (her, once that becomes available!)

Also, maybe the banner customizing could be including in those buttons and maybe a coat of arm design?? :D