PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite fantasy book?

Qc_4ever
01-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Well I my best books are:

1)Royal Assassin serie from Robin Hobb
2)Black Magician trilogy from Trudy Canavan
3)We The Gods from Bernard Werber*
4)Bartimeus trilogy from Jonathan Stroud
5)A game of thrones serie from George R.R. Martin
6)Sword of Truth serie from Terry Goodkind
7)All the books from Guy Gavriel Kay except the Fionvar serie.

Share your favorite books with us. :D

*Only in french, I think. I translated the title*

wou129
01-22-2009, 11:43 PM
wel my best serie is The Dwarves but atmum is full isnt a bad one ether and atm i am reading the langage of the stone's

MrBlack103
01-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Inheritance Cycle. Dragon riders are just so awesome!

Andy Joslin
01-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Sword of Truth series, by Terry Goodkind.

Joseph Visscher
01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Lord of the rings ofc, but I have not even been able to finish it,,, not enough time.

Puppeteer
01-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I hate Paolini... crappy writer.
I loved the Silmarillion (esp. the Ainulindale) and Children of Hurin.

MrBlack103
01-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Paolini's only crappy because you compare him to Tolkien.

kronlc
01-24-2009, 03:51 AM
I finished flipping through (my secret garden) by Nancy Friday'
its about lesbians that meet aty this ladys house and do stuff
but I dint finish reading it because it didnt have any pictures.

Puppeteer
01-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Paolini's only crappy because you compare him to Tolkien.

I compare him to all authors whose books I have read. And that includes Dan Brown and even Rowling (sadly), which is saying something. Paolini + Shan + Nix = Literature Waste of Time

fyro11
01-24-2009, 05:52 AM
The Silmarillion is one of my favourites too. But my favourite books within were Quenta Silmarillion, Akallabéth and of course Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age (which is more of an overview look of the LotR and events leading up to, and surrounding it). Here we find out some of the big questions that LotR never answered. But Quenta Silmarillion and Akallabéth are more 'dear' to me than the last.

frankein_fish
01-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Well I my best books are:

1)Royal Assassin serie from Robin Hobb
2)Black Magician trilogy from Trudy Canavan
3)We The Gods from Bernard Werber*
4)Bartimeus trilogy from Jonathan Stroud
5)A game of thrones serie from George R.R. Martin
6)Sword of Truth serie from Terry Goodkind
7)All the books from Guy Gavriel Kay except the Fionvar serie.

Share your favorite books with us. :D

*Only in french, I think. I translated the title*

wow that could just as well been my list :eek:
However u did miss some, such as The tawny man trilogy, Soldier son trilogy and the liveship traders all written by Robin Hobb

Qc_4ever
01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
wow that could just as well been my list :eek:
However u did miss some, such as The tawny man trilogy, Soldier son trilogy and the liveship traders all written by Robin Hobb

Tawny man is a part of Royal Assassin serie, isn't it? Only 15 years after the war. I read the 2 first books from Soldier son trilogy but Fitz story was better :D.

aVeron
01-26-2009, 04:21 AM
I dont read much.. but i've read the first book in the series of Keeper of the swords, called Diamond Sword, Wooden Sword by Nick Perumov, which i thought where really good.. then ofc i've read as everyone else LOTR books..

ShadowyMoon
01-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Let's see...
As everyone else, LotR and Silmarillion (I liked the former more), The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny and all of Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea books.

nickson104
01-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Black magicians trilogy as mentioned before
The Chronicles Of Ancient Darkness series (better known as the wolf brother series)
Artemis Fowl books
The Demonata series by Darren Shan

I used to be like an inheritance fanboy... then i saw the film and saw what a mockery it was, then i saw huge flaws in the plot, things that didnt add up then i realised how plagiaristic it was... it was basically star wars in middle earth... then i read "fanfiction" which was a million times better which contradicted the book and showed me how little depth there is to it, your meant to hate a man who has done nothing that bad really... then the last book just disgusted me i promised myself i would get it and although i knew it would suck i still got it and half way through i was almost asleep and by the end i wanted my money back...

Also another good book i have found is Jack Flint and the redthorn sword its a very good story :) based on a lot of old myths and stories too specially scottish and irish ones :) celtic legends are among the best along with the greek ones :)

Puppeteer
01-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Artemis Fowl books
The Demonata series by Darren Shan
Ewww, vile excretions of a rejected 'Nature'. Both of them.

nickson104
01-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Ewww, vile excretions of a rejected 'Nature'. Both of them.

lolololol each to their own i guess :) their not the best of books admittedly but their easy reading and actually rather fun :) if you want a hard read try a dan brown book :/ i read digital fortress its absoloutely huge, or well it would be if it had a decent sized print, they made the book have small print to get it a decent size, a 1500 page book into about 650... its a good story but you gotta be serious when reading it

Puppeteer
01-31-2009, 05:36 AM
Dan Brown is not a hard read. His language is simple, undescriptive and for the most part rather tedious, though admittedly I did find Digital Fortress fastpaced. The rest I found mediocre at best.

nickson104
01-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Dan Brown is not a hard read. His language is simple, undescriptive and for the most part rather tedious, though admittedly I did find Digital Fortress fastpaced. The rest I found mediocre at best.

I havent read his other :p digital fortress wasnt hard in the vocabulary but the speed, the small print and my inability to just read that style and accept it threw me off :p
I'm the sort of guy that questions things that happen in a book if its realistic :/ thats why i prefer fantasy :) my favourite books are definitely 'the chronicles of ancient darkness' though :)
I love stories where the characters have special bonds and you can actually see the bonding between the characters, in many books you get a general feeling but not really enough that YOU can feel it and see it

Puppeteer
02-01-2009, 04:54 AM
I love books with anti-heroes. The Catcher in the Rye, Frankenstein (to an extent)... I think they're original.

fyro11
02-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Frankenstein (to an extent)...
To what extent, may I ask? Is originality enough for a good read. Not always the case I would say, though it's definitely one of the factors there.

Of Dan Browns' books, Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress were good, the Da Vinci Code and Deception Point were horrid, imo. Deception Point presented a very farfetched and at times, an overly dull story, for one that should've been more realistic and fast-paced. Granted, most of his books have inventions of his own mind, though. Angels and Demons was far better than The Da Vinci Code. Did that get as much exposure? Hardly, methinks. I think it caused an outcry from the Church is why it grew in popularity. Hmm.

nickson104
02-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah that was the only reason that book got big to be honest.

And i also love 'anti-heroes' as you put it, or just books that show that there is no such thing as plain good and evil...

I remember reading some fanfiction of the inheritance series (before i realised how terrible it was) and it was totally different and miles better, it actually made you feel for the characters and its main character glabatorix who is actually the good guy but made a scapegoat by the riders who are 'evil' then how he becomes twisted and supposedly 'evil' but still is doing what is right from the stories view and it contrasts the book in so many ways and outdoes it in all ways really.... in case you want to look it up it was written by K.J Taylor aka Opifex and the main part is named From White to Black

Puppeteer
02-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Not always the case I would say
Well obviously. That's why I said to an extent.

nickson104
02-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Well obviously. That's why I said to an extent.

Hehe it obviously doesnt mean all unique books are amazing bestsellers :p they could be uniquely rubbish :p

Arctopus
03-04-2009, 09:49 AM
i'm currently reading the serie Sword of Truth from Terry goodkind.
also read the Wardstone Chronicles, the autor not yet finished all parts though :(

Daranu
04-12-2009, 01:59 PM
The best books i have read is all Trudi Canavans books like:

The black magican trilogy
Age of the five trilogy
Black magicans appretice

Her books is great. Have heard that she is trying to get the black magican trilogy to a movie. But i think they will get into 2-3 movies.:)

LiveBlackNWhite
04-15-2009, 01:36 PM
"A tale of the Malazan book of the Fallen" series by Steven Eriikson, the LOTR trilogy was a good read, as well "The Hunter's Blade" trilogy by R.A Salvatore and pretty much every other book by him.

OrcSlayer
04-25-2009, 09:38 AM
The discworld series if they count

Mrdash
04-25-2009, 01:34 PM
I love the "Circle Trilogy" By Ted Dekker and all the books that go along with it.("The Lost Books")

LiTos456
04-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Lord of the Rings.
Also Eragon, but I never got far into Eldest...

nickson104
04-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Lord of the Rings.
Also Eragon, but I never got far into Eldest...

I used to be a sort of eragon/eldest fanboy... then realised how bad it actually is... still bought brisingr and regretted it so much... biggest waste of my time and money ever... :(