PDA

View Full Version : MMORTS Player Colours?

MrBlack103
01-15-2009, 02:38 AM
I was wondering how you devs have worked out player colours in MMORTS mode. Does each player select a colour to represent them, or does each player have their own display settings for everything (eg. you appear as blue, guildmates green, neutral yellow, enemies red, specific player purple, etc etc...)? Or is it worked out some other way? Please explain.

Andy Joslin
01-15-2009, 07:01 AM
or does each player have their own display settings for everything (eg. you appear as blue, guildmates green, neutral yellow, enemies red, specific player purple, etc etc...
Something like this is probably the most likely.

Puppeteer
01-15-2009, 10:43 AM
I'd hope that the colours were subtle. This concept of bright, brash colours confuses and engrages me! </futurama_reference>

Feweh
01-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Ya please dont use a VIBRANT BLUE it would just kill the whole atmosphere.

Try and got for more lighter colours.

Darvin
01-15-2009, 12:37 PM
But vibrant blue is my favourite faction colour!

Above all else, team colours have a functional purpose in RTS games; at a glance, you can tell what units belong to you, and what units do not. This functional requirement should take full precedence over any artistic preference.

I think the biggest problem will be if you have two players who have the same colour preference fighting each other. This will get even more complicated in battles involving multiple players since there can be further overlap. Two players with the same colour cannot be allowed to occur in a single battle, and any system must establish some contingency to deal with these situations.

Another note is that many of the softer colours - particularly earth tones - should not be acceptable faction colours. The reason is that these colours camouflage into the minimap background colours and provide an unfair advantage to the player using them.

The_Biz
01-15-2009, 01:45 PM
just make everything customizable is the safest bet.

if i have more than 1 teammate, i need them to have different colors.

if i have more than 1 enemy, i need them to have different colors.

and obviously, my own units should be a different color.

this is all for strategic and communication purposes.

i don't know if MMO mode will have more player than colors in which case you need to get creative :) . maybe custom crests or something.

Konstantin Fomenko
01-15-2009, 01:49 PM
yeah most likely we`ll have 4 primary colours for enemies/teammates/npc/player, with shades of the primary colours used if there are more than 1 teammate or enemy present.

The Witch King of Angmar
01-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Sounds good to me, but, I thought there were only 3 primary colors? :confused:

nickson104
01-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Sounds good to me, but, I thought there were only 3 primary colors? :confused:

My art teacher would have a fit... :p

Red, yellow and blue are primary.... im guessing you also mean green though? their the four most known colours...

Konstantin Fomenko
01-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Actually NPCs most likely won`t have a 'colour' and just use default unit texture without a colour mask on-top. So yeah - 3 primary colours.

I`m interested to hear which colours would you assign though - for yourself/allies/enemies.

So far i`m thinking, Blue/green/red

MrBlack103
01-15-2009, 05:18 PM
To resolve the brightness dispute, I think the "normal" colours should just be a bit darker (eg dark red, dark blue, etc etc). If the player could select the display settings, this obviously wouldn't be an issue, since each player would only be making it difficult for him/herself if they selected earthy colours/similar colours. On the other hand, however, I can see team battles online getting a bit hectic. Take this scenario, for instance (p1 + p2 are on same team):

p1: "kill those red guys near the gate!"
[p2 starts killing someone comlpetely different]
p1: "not him! he's attacking the red guys right now! Let him!"
p2: "but he is red!"
p1: "No, he's not! He's yellow!"

Of course, this situation could easily be handled by referring to other players as their username or player # for that map, but some people would find it difficult to remember that everyone else is seeing everyone differently.

It's just a point to take into consideration, anyway.

ShadowyMoon
01-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Personal preference on colours:
Me - green
Enemy - red
Ally - yellow/blue

Ovocean
01-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Self-quote :

" I hate in strategy games when the various accessible player colors:
1) Ruin the beauty of the graphics because it is clashing with the colors of the environment
2) Make the player less visible on the map or minimap than with other accessible colors.
3) Don't make clear wich team the player belongs to.
Solutions :
1) Avoid giving access to full saturated colors, like the usual pure blue, pure red, pure green, pure yellow, etc. Lighter and/or less saturated colors is the way to go!
2) Lighter colors better than darker ones. Well, actually I don't mind if the player color act as a camouflage, as long as it's the same for all of them, and they are still recognizable between each other.
3) Keep the colors for a same team in the same tones
(e.g:
-2vs2vs2vs2: yellow/orange, blue/cyan, green/lighter-green, light-grey/black) (Yeah, black is quite visible generally. Maybe it has a bonus at night, don't know.)
-4vs4: pink/red/yellow/orange/, cyan/light-blue/purple/and...blue?
) "

Darvin
01-19-2009, 01:15 PM
[quote]
Actually NPCs most likely won`t have a 'colour' and just use default unit texture without a colour mask on-top. So yeah - 3 primary colours.

I`m interested to hear which colours would you assign though - for yourself/allies/enemies.

So far i`m thinking, Blue/green/red

I think that's a perfectly acceptable way to handle NPC's. However, I disagree with the way you're talking about handling colours.

One of the main issues is that in multiplayer games, players often refer to each other by their colour rather than their names. It's much easier (both for me typing and my allies cross-referencing who I'm referring to) to say "attack red" than it is to say "attack orcslayer77". For this to work, however, colours must be significantly different even amongst the same team, and also must be consistent between games. That is, if I see a player as red, everyone else should see the same player as red.

Complicating matters is the concept of a free for all situation, where there are multiple teams of enemies. Having them all be shades of red is not only confusing, but does not do justice to the fact that these groups are not allied. This is important information to know at a glance, as the strategic ramifications of an enemy receiving reinforcements or a third group of unaligned enemies arriving are completely different.

Finally, beware red/green/brown if you're going to be using shades. I know it's easy to overlook, but it's a real gamebreaker for red green colour-blind people like me.

fyro11
01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
How about subtle colours for the units, but more aggressive colours on the banners?

Esculas the Mighty
01-19-2009, 04:53 PM
how about....

Man with Scottish accent : shudap esculas ur crazeh

awww i was just gonna say how about u just have to hover ur mouse over the unit ( by doing so it also highlights that units fellow battalion men ) and it displays the enemy commanders name in the color that they are :)

MrBlack103
01-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Remember, you need to be able to know a unit's alignment at-a-glance.

nickson104
01-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Remember, you need to be able to know a unit's alignment at-a-glance.

Or otherwise you may pass it off as a friendly... "oh look dont worry its only my mates tree of war... oh crap no its not... nooo it hugged my base and now theres nothing left!!" :p

I have no issue with the common blue is you, green is friendly, red is enemy for single player but for multiplayer i think that the usual colours should apply again, just calm down a bit on the pink i hate that being so bright

TaTa456
04-18-2009, 10:22 PM
give us an army painter! unique armies would be awesome!

nickson104
04-19-2009, 07:52 AM
give us an army painter! unique armies would be awesome!

Reminds me a bit of Dawn Of War... :)

Cobra
04-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm going to have to go with the standard Player=blue, Allies=green, Neutral=yellow, and Enemies=red.

Maybe it'd be possible for everyone to specify friend-or-foe colors, though? So that guy up there who wanted green for the Player color could just switch.

TaTa456
04-19-2009, 12:55 PM
in AoE2 there were player colours (1-8) there was also a friend or foe color mode. but this was the same for each player (blue for ally, red for enemy) the colors need to be the same for everyone. (if 1 player has friend or foe colors and one doesnt, it will mess things up) army painters will fix all of that:p plus give for some awesome looking battles. my dawn of war space marine pink ***** pirates army was ownage. :D :D :D