PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate Dawn of Fantasy?

Konstantin Fomenko
10-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Guys,

We figured it was time to get a sense of how well we did - and how much work we have ahead of it. So please take a second to vote in this poll rating the game from 1 to 5.

Lets phrase the question like this:

"How would you rate Dawn of Fantasy, knowing that more features - PvP vs Town, Alliances e.t.c will be added and majority of bugs will be fixed by Early November":)

Thanks for your time and votes.

ObscuredUSA
10-17-2011, 03:41 PM

It's a fun video game, but there are way too many issues to rank it higher then that. It seems like once you fix an issue, another issue that you have fixed in the past resurfaces. I can imagine how annoying that is to you guys. For example, the issue where towns did not gather resources seems to have come back recently. I personally would rather have you wait before releasing new content. Focus 100% of your time on fixing these bugs and optimizing your game. PVP is too much of a mess at the moment to even think about adding in the PVP versus player towns. This game has some good potential, but all these problems is what is holding it back.

Laceretti
10-17-2011, 03:49 PM

Assuming the bugs are worked out and such, I think the game has a ton of potential. From a bugs standpoint, the game is 3x more playable for me now than it was two weeks ago so keep up the good work!

nuraiel
10-17-2011, 03:49 PM
4 out of 5

Although buggy I already had a lot of fun in this game. There are some cool aspects and some aspects that need work. This needed work and a few other things took one point.

Speaking strictly of potential it's a solid 5 out of 5. There are still a myriad possibilities.

Onomas
10-17-2011, 03:50 PM
I gave it a 4.

3 for bugs and issues with towns. But gave it an extra one for the hard work from the staff and communication to the people here.

This game does have good potential. But keep coming across the same bugs, cities not growing properly, resources vanish, peasants stuck, and these are some major issues that need fixed.

But you said in November, once the bugs are fixed and features added to game. So i think 4 will do well here. I would like to see more maps, bigger maps, npc invasions, etc.

Game will be a good one with all the fixes and new content. I can see myself here year + down the road. Keep up the good work.

Dalizon
10-17-2011, 03:56 PM
We shall see once my request on the other form is responded to :)

Dreamwalker
10-17-2011, 03:58 PM
I gave it a four.

Once the bugs are gone and new stuff is added, this game will be awesome.

At least, I hope it is-I waited 2 years for it to come out! :D

ThatguyAds1298
10-17-2011, 04:13 PM
I voted 4 out of 5 mate

Really love playing the game myself, Its fun once you get into it and learn how it works. I see a lot have voted it with a 4 which is a pretty nice result so far. Did not vote 5 becuase for me at least a few little things were missing, Its hard to explain these things but i will try incase your curious (See below). Games that i would rate 5 our of 5 have to be pretty near perfect in all aspects of their genre (Lets face it there are very few games that can manage to please everyone) and i would love this game to be a 5 star for me as i really enjoy it.

To try an stop me rambling on and on and confusing everyone i shall list what i would rate broken down into sections.

-Lore + Story 5/5 (This is my biggest interest in games, Im a lore geek!)
-Gameplay 4/5
-Graphics 4/5
-Patch support 5/5
-Developer Communication 5/5

Also want to say id rate the community we have here at a 5, The players that have gathered here to support Reverie is awesome. As for gameplay i gave it a 4 as it could have been a bit easier to manage large battles (selecting units and such). Also it could be a little easier on new players as the in game help didnt seem to help much. The community however have handled this by answering all the new players questions in game chat so its not that much of a problem. The learning curve is good and new players do soon get the hang of it.

I wont go in to graphics to much, needless to say as long as the game is fun im not to bothered about it.

Overall, I'd say great job with your frist game so far Reverie! the future is bright and the skies the limit, Im looking forward to the future and seeing what you guys come up with :D

andreicde
10-17-2011, 04:19 PM
I'l go for 4 as well. The bugs that are in atm and balance drop the score,but after that's fixed and we will get the expansions+the features it will go to 5.

Magicmud83
10-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Went with a 2 from what I know about is planned, if I knew more it might be higher. Currently other then the chat box there is no MMO features since you only come into contact with someone else to kill them, nothing to set one player apart from the next player such as different town set ups or some way to customize troops, no end game goals or reason to work with other players unless its for a larger battle, not even given the chance to change your name you have to use your login name for all towns and races which is also a security risk.

For the RTS part it is lacking in many ways and I don't mean just the bugs. You are given no time to set up your army in rows or a possible ambush pre-battle, units die way to fast to enjoy the combat or even react to it such as trying to fill a grab in the lines or sending more troops to a weakened front line, no moral system, no reason to use light troops over heavy, no physics or collision type system.

I haven't given up on the game but in a month or two when all the bugs have been sorted out the game still is missing the most important part of a MMO content. After 50 or so quests for each race all that is left is rounding up some troops and go do some random pvp match or grind the AI for levels. RTS games like Total War have pretty much the same things this game has with online PvP but doesnt claim to be a MMO because a MMO needs the make up of different types of players and things to keep them active, interested, and online. MMO's gives a player a chance to pick some kind of role to play in its world something that gives you a sence value to your community such as being a good crafter or diplomat or even being a feared PvPer and thats what this game needs to be a MMO to me.

Flame away if you like but I think its important to give honest constructive criticism and if I'm wrong and they have great plans for content in the near future then I'm looking forward to it.

GPS51
10-17-2011, 09:14 PM
No need to flame. I enjoy dof a lot and I'll wouldn't give it a 5 or even a 4 at this point. I expect I'd rate it higher in 6 weeks but like has been stated it's got huge potential and once the MMO gets crossed with better RTS parts , lookout :D

Dragontooth
10-17-2011, 11:38 PM

It has some potentially good features, but this game is basically being beta tested by paying customers. A responsible company would have never released a product in such an unfinished state.

andreicde
10-18-2011, 12:10 AM

It has some potentially good features, but this game is basically being beta tested by paying customers. A responsible company would have never released a product in such an unfinished state.

yeah right ''cough cough'' Dragon age 2 ''cough cough''. Worst game ever that was so complet that I wanted to rip the dvd with my teeth,that's how bad it was.

karamot
10-18-2011, 12:37 AM
i voted 1

pratically im not playing anymore, im not enjoying, its basically a boring game
bugs apart game structure is weak imho, it have great potential, but its a the sims game with some features more, nothing special atm

sry about

Oratory
10-18-2011, 04:43 PM
"How would you rate Dawn of Fantasy, knowing that more features - PvP vs Town, Alliances e.t.c will be added and majority of bugs will be fixed by Early November":)
Thanks for your time and votes.

Tbh, it's hard to vote on features that are not in yet, as we dont know how good you will make things.
Let us vote on how the game is now instead, and make another topic early November when all this is implemented and see how much progres you have done among your customers.

And as you know, this game is more or less unplayable in it's current state, or rather, it's hard to enjoy the game as most of the key features are not in yet, and due to the unit imbalance. And not to mention the pvp lag :P

I'm not saying this in a bad way, because i like to play a few times a week, and i spend allot of hours playing it then.

So, make a new topic, and let us vote on the current stage of the game, and make a new topic every month so YOU can stay up to date with what we think about the game.

Gwydion
10-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Since my cpu fried and i wont be able to play again till friday.... I'd give the game a 3.5 ---- 4 out of 5 with the potential of 10 out of 5.... Hammering out those nasty bugs and making pvp more smooth and give the people who don't want to pvp (Because most mmos don't force you to pvp) a large payoff per time period option and yea i would say its a 5 out of 5.

Dalizon
10-18-2011, 07:06 PM
I give it 5/5 stars, because the customer service is good, and that department is vital to anything.

Novakiller
10-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Gave you guys a 5. Just love the thing, with the bugs aside, i can wait for them to be fixed, and new stuff coming out just really look forward to what the future brings for this game.

eddieg501
10-20-2011, 09:07 AM
If most of the entire game is fixed, you are able to turn shadows on and off, weather effects , etc, etc , etc on and off, alliances , most bugs (there are always going to be some bugs) get fixed, lag and freezes gets improved by 75% (it is an online game there iis always going to be a bit of lag), our npc's continue to build when we are offline, etc. I feel as if i am playing a game that is 25% ready to go. Once the game is truly ready to play like we all want it to be than it will be a 4 or 5, but right now the state its in I can only rate it a 1.

Sunleader
10-20-2011, 11:58 AM
I am giving it a 5
Reasoning for that is ONE THING

I have played a Ton of Games and when I say that I mean that I really really played one hell of a ton of games

And all Games always were promising alot
yet most of em hardly caught up to their promises

This Game has exactly One thing that I have found in no other Game so far
and that thing is the reason for me Preordering this Game despite being someone who never pays before playing

In this Game the Devs care for their Customers and more importandly they listen to them
3 of 5 Bugs I reported where solved within two weeks
and it would be 4 of 5 if the fourth fix wouldnt have failed and had caused another bug to occur
And 2 of 3 things I asked got answered by the Team

This and this alone is enough for me to have faith into this game and into the promises which were made

I thank you guys for that
and hope you will keep this Up for a long time

Greetz Sun

Dreamwalker
10-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Don't let it go to your heads, but if it was a poll on what we rate the devs, we would all say five. Or six. :D

Like Sunleader said, you guys are the best. I'm not an expert on these things, but I don't think the CEOs of big game companies hang around their own forums much. But it's a good thing you and the staff do, Kon; it lets you get to know the community and what bugs and issues are driving them insane. ;)

And even better, you guys fix 'em. And if you listen to the community in the future as much as you do now...well, it would make for one awsome game! :cool:

Ben Adeaphon Delat
10-26-2011, 02:40 AM
Hi everyone,
I just started playing the game yesterday so I'm pretty much unaware of most of the game's content. Still, the couple of hours into the game were enough to make up my mind for a rating, and I gave the game (at its current state) a 3.

It's a really enjoyable game but it suffers heavily from bugs. I'm a little frustrated by the fact that you (the developers) did not take your time to try and correct certain issues beforehand. Why the rush to let the game hit the market if it needs another 3-6 months in order to be perfectly playable and fun? It being an MMO helps things a little (still, I have experience only with the single-player part of the game) as you can constantly add stuff and throw improvements in, I would only ask that you really take your time, as others have mentioned above. Don't rush things. I believe however that there is great potential in you and the game you created and you will find great support among the players, just relax :)
Mentioning all that makes me think that I want to escape from the office and sprint to my PC at home...

Brian Shingles
10-26-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the support.

In an ideal world, we would have delayed the release to fix more bugs and despite being virtually unpaid, the dev team were pushing for more time but the decision when to release the game wasn't ours to make.

All we can do now is work to fix the bugs as they're reported and with the help of our supportive player community we'll make this game as great as we all believe it can be.

Redkam09
10-30-2011, 03:51 AM
suprisingly a 5 for me mate,
1. you have fixed most bugs that make my game unplayable
2. you have responded to my posts when i had bugs, and a guild name :D
3. youve made a heck of a game, very few unbalences (so far)
4. I left stronghold 3 in a mood casue i was looking forward to it, i came online, and i felt that one bit better :)

Konstantin Fomenko
10-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I have to agree - Stronghold 3 makes DoF look like a bug-free master-peace:) I`m a long time Stronghold fan myself and like so many others felt completely disappointed. Not sure WTH was Firefly thinking - Stronghold 3 budget is 5 times larger that DoF.

Novakiller
10-30-2011, 03:55 PM
To be honest i lost the attraction with stronghold 2, and stronghold 3 just didn't "Look" that fantastic and has had the same set of screenshots circulating for over a year now on websites, which normally leads me to worry why it wasn't getting advertised much, then suddenly released like 4 videos 2 or 3 days b4 release. Its not very good, im affraid, and graphicly, VERY poor, animation is its usual standards of low quality aswell, was a bit disapointed with it too. DOF is absolutely amazing in comparisson to it, and im HAPPY to fork out more money for a game like DOF which took the time to make sure EVERY single detial of the game is as good as they can possibley make it, it has bugs sure, but wow, stronghold 3 is just plain rubbish im affraid.

blackfang
10-31-2011, 12:35 AM
Hello:P finally posting again since closed betaxD Yeah i don't know how the game is right now altough its on my buy list for the year but i remember being able to log on one time in the closed beta and never again. I tried everything on the forum and even commented it so i found out that i would just quit and wait for release. Well its released so now i gotta test it again:D

Dalizon
10-31-2011, 04:32 AM
Dude I love your signature!

blackfang
10-31-2011, 06:43 AM
Mine:O? I had a list of four thousand different sayings and i chose that onexD

Mellmak
11-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I enjoyed the few days i played this game. I like the concept. I quit playing because there was nothing holding me to it anymore. I built up my castle to max , got my armies to max , couple full armies all maxed lvls. At the time search function was bugged and it was too frustrating to play pvp and there was no siege pvp. Im reluctant to return as as someone said before game lacks general purpose. When i started playing this game i thought there will be people rulling some areas like in the browser games. Combat alone doesnt feel good enough as only reason to justify playing this game. Its way too fast and commands arent working properly sometimes which is freustrating when you combine the above 2. Trade makes all the economy differences among castles disappear. Recruiting makes all the units in the game the same as you just buy most powerful units you want cheaper then the cost of their producing. I hate to say it because so many people say this about every game but i guess i have to, this game has big potential but in the current state the gameplay part is lacking a lot. This is not a hate post, i love how close devs are with the community and i will be keeping eye on how things are changing.

Dreamwalker
11-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Now that I bought the game, I have to say that I was right when I gave it a 4. To me, it's really, really fun; stuff needs fixing sure, but my bugs actually get fixed in hours and days, instead of months like in most other games.

What can I say? I've always loved DOF, even when it was nothing but a sad looking webpage. And now, an actual game...I can't wait to see what's next! :D

Morteunious
11-03-2011, 03:00 PM
I never found ratings very helpful. Never understodd what those numbers are suppose to mean, if anything. I'll just throw out some general observations. . .

First of all, the game is still rather buggy but I'll look at things assuming it all works perfectly.

What kind of game is this exactly: a regular ole RTS or an online-persistent-world RTS? If its the latter I still believe your open/unrestricted pvp is gonna be a problem (though, this isn't necessarily the case if the focus is offline.) It will drive away a lot more customers then it brings in. There's also a correlation between pvp-centric games and the quality of the community. Basically, the more focus on the pvp the worse the players get (personality wise.) PvP is a nice, OPTIONAL side distraction but how many players will spend 20$+ and several rl days building a fortress/army only to have it burned to the ground in minutes? (either due to lag or just being horribly outmatched) Then just as you start to rebuild it someone else comes along and demolishes it again. . .

This game is in a good position to dominate an under-represented genre (online RTS), if you can get the content out quickly enough. The persistent online kingdom is what sets this game apart from the other major RTS games on the market, my belief is if you can exploit this fact DoF will be a major hit.

The "depth" of town and unit development is ok but feels rather shallow compared to other RTS games. Things like upgrading (both in function and graphics) the individual buildings, more walls, more unit upgrades/additional skills would help. Think the devs stated they're are adding this in eventually though?

Pacing - in the online kingdom is very very slooowwww. Mostly in the earlier "phases" (does pick up later on), maybe able to fix this by adding more quests or just "more to do." Slow pacing isn't necessarily a bad thing, some players may prefer it.

The endgame - All there is to do now is pvp and the occasional NPC town siege in-between bouts. If you can expand upon this may greatly help player retention. Maybe like, some form of dungeon crawl or further town development. One features from Freesky I did like were the "NPC-zones." Basically, one of your armies zoned into an "instance" and wandered around on a map sacking various NPC strongholds, culminating in "boss-fight" (one large high-hp unit with a much larger army.) Part of the implementation in Freesky was the entire server shared the same instance, so other players could enter a zone you were clearing and pvp would ensue.

Konstantin Fomenko
11-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Great post Morteunious.

To cover some of your suggestions/questions:

PvP Games.
Great point - and we`ll make sure PvP always remains options, as well as never imbalanced or destructive.
DoF`s PvP games be it with allies or 1 on 1 will always be balanced (army strength wise).
Lag issues will be fixed before we introduce ally play (lag is caused by pathfinding system that`s being completely redesigned).
In addition player Stronghold are not getting burned to the ground, player might just need to do some repairs after. And even if defending player looses he gets great rewards - in Influence and also looting all the remaining corpses.
Players can always pay-out and not engage in PvP (this automatically adds 30 minute PvP protection) - the pay out penalty is not that large.
In addition we are introducing long-term PvP protection - player simply pays a large amount of resources and can`t be attacked for the next 24-48 hours.

New Content/End-Game e.t.c
Our goal is to add as much new content as our players can handle - as long as the player base is there - we`ll keep on adding. However - bug fixes and some key features - like Alliances, Guilds e.t.c will come first.
After that we`ll switch all of our resources on adding new gameplay elements, new quests, new buildings, town upgrades, new units - not to mention naval combat, magic and everything that comes with that

Future...
This game is in a good position to dominate an under-represented genre (online RTS), if you can get the content out quickly enough.
I couldn`t have said this better. But at the same time - we don`t want to rush. As you might have noticed - our community is still relatively small. And our approach is to hold back mass advertisement and keep player population low until we feel the game is a superb product - and we are in position to start weekly roll-outs of new content. Lets hope things work out:)

Novakiller
11-03-2011, 04:13 PM
There have been some great posts in this thread, im looking forward to what people will say next lol... but i'll just add this in there as I do agree with Mort. to a point about the "making more stuff to do" for the player, and I remember when i first heard about this game, the fact that we would be fighting dragons in the game, and as far as im aware, i think its probably one of the only games that i can recall ever doing that!! never lone actually controlling dragons as well....

but i had this vision where we would be hunting down dragon layers!!! and there could be several ways to implement this, one way would be to have some sort of "Community Live" event where all players can take part in hunting down or taking out Dragon Layers and push it to be part of the main storyline somehow, to immerse players more in the world that they effect !!! Have it so that several locations on the map appear to everyone, so you can rush in with our armies and take part in that instant, this would add a lot to do with players involved in other things together not just PvP actions...

Another way you could implement this would be to have Alliance Only quests, and this could be part of it, so even though your not PVP'ing but you are all still taking part together in something big and feeling of a well deserved round of beers at the local alliance Inn...

There is litterly SO MUCH STUFF you can add to this world, its actually quite insane what you could make possible to do, its not often you get to be part of something that could revolutionize an entre genre and i strongly think this game be it, of course this DOES have to be done right, and takes time, MMOs always take their time anyway, because there is always so much to do.

Hometown depth can ALWAYS be improved, for a start making the hometown maps bigger in physical size, to add more things to do locally rather then go hunting around the entire world map to do stuff, adding new buildings that do various things like a Tavern to make morale go up with soldiers, which could affect how they fight? probably not but hey its something else to think about? could have it so morale plays a part in how often they hit or miss with weapon accuracey or something.

When it comes to MMOs, End-Game content isn't really a real option, because its a persistent world where nothing stops, you are forever thriving to make yourself bigger, better, stronger, making your friends bigger, and stronger, building up your community of friends, you could even go as far as adding Racial Warfare Quests or events, where we're pitched against each others races.

the overall game is heading in such the right direction it gets me excited just what might be possible in the future, but little steps, little steps, if you start adding nothing but content, you can loose sight of whats important, and the fact that the devs do actually!! play the game, REALLY helps the games development.