PDA

View Full Version : x32 v x64

doomdark64
10-15-2011, 03:41 AM
Heres a question i hope someone might be able to answer for me.
How come on 2 identical machines spec wise does the game run faster on a 32 bit machine over a 64 bit one?.I can get the game to play pretty well on medium settings on my 32 bit ,but on 64 bit it staggers around and goes slow as hell sometimes. ive got the latest drivers and direct x installed.
Regards

SysOpPsyche
10-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Thats fairly easy to answer.

64bit OS's use larger memory addresses than 32bit OS's so there is more overhead/base processing power needed to achieve comparable results. If an application is heavily burdened the 64bit OS will have problems sooner than the 32bit OS unless the application is specifically designed to handle things in smaller modules instead of being aware of the overall environment which is also important for multi-threading support. Even so, a 64bit OS is more likely to bottleneck at certain points (the multiple threads need to sync/consolidate data at some point unless they not associated with each other - ie. different applications/processes) because its juggling more than a 32bit OS & because it'll put more strain on the IO/Bus/Cache areas of the computer. With an identical hardware setup that is.

[edit: clarification, most application that support both 32 and 64 bit OS's have 2 different main executables because those are what are syncing the data and those 2 environments would have completely different priorities/methods on handling data to achieve smooth and steady performance. Akin to a person driving a compact car versus a heavy truck - they will drive them differently due to performance and handling differences. A one-size-fits-all method would simply not work well]

doomdark64
10-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks for that explination , sheds some light why im having frame rate issues.
Regards.