PDA

View Full Version : How to handle this.

ObscuredUSA
10-14-2011, 07:59 AM
When I was still able to play this game, I did some PVP like any normal DoF player. There was this one person who had nothing but archers. No problem I thought because I'd just own them with my Mounted Grand Masters. However, he was behind walls and had towers. He refused to leave his fortifications. So I thought I could just send my archers and pick them off. Boy was I wrong, before my archers even got in range, his archers started to shoot and pretty much own mine.

So how exactly do you beat someone like this? Just looking for tips for when I can play my main town again and if I run into someone like this again.

Onomas
10-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Um things called trebs you use them to shoot these large rocks at the walls to break them down. Then charge into the opening. Could just use flaming rocks and burn his army up iside the camp. Fun to see them all come running out, then charge them with knights ;)

I wont give up a strategic defensive area against anyone lol. Defeats the purpose. If the attacker doesnt come prepared ill sit inside the camp. Cant just expect easy wins with grandmasters all the time ;)

ObscuredUSA
10-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Um things called trebs you use them to shoot these large rocks at the walls to break them down. Then charge into the opening. Could just use flaming rocks and burn his army up iside the camp. Fun to see them all come running out, then charge them with knights ;)

I wont give up a strategic defensive area against anyone lol. Defeats the purpose. If the attacker doesnt come prepared ill sit inside the camp. Cant just expect easy wins with grandmasters all the time ;)

People who make all archer armies clearly expect easy wins. ;)

But thanks for the tips anyway. I'll be sure to bring like 10 ranged siege and 3,000 stone or something like that.

Onomas
10-14-2011, 08:24 AM
I wasnt being a smart butt either. Last night i had a guy in a camp with archers galore. My 5 trebs burned the heck out of them and when they came out to take my trebs out my calv charged in with archer support. Not everyone likes siege and want all open field battles. I like the suspense and the tactics used when fighting someone like that. For me it brings so much more to the table and its a blast. You just never know whats going ot happen next. I think thats the reason im still playing this game.

ObscuredUSA
10-14-2011, 08:27 AM
I wasnt being a smart butt either. Last night i had a guy in a camp with archers galore. My 5 trebs burned the heck out of them and when they came out to take my trebs out my calv charged in with archer support. Not everyone likes siege and want all open field battles. I like the suspense and the tactics used when fighting someone like that. For me it brings so much more to the table and its a blast. You just never know whats going ot happen next. I think thats the reason im still playing this game.

I think when I can snatch myself a Royal Dragon, I'll just have him shoot fireballs from a distance. Hehehe

Uzik
10-14-2011, 08:48 AM
I usually do 30% melee, 20% cav, 30% archer, 10% treb, 10% peasants.

Depending on the terrain, fire trebs and arrows can completely envelop an army.

Wait for the enemy to get close, fire burning trebs into the middle, move up archers to force retreat back through the fire.

Also, when enemy archers are engaged elsewhere it is generally a good idea for a cav rush, and focus firing works well in archer vs. archer battles.

macamus
10-14-2011, 09:22 AM
You bring a dragon or two and set fire to the entire camp, and when he is forced to move out of the gates you storm him and kill him off, so either he continues to walk our or he stops and burns

Safey18
10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
You bring a dragon or two and set fire to the entire camp, and when he is forced to move out of the gates you storm him and kill him off, so either he continues to walk our or he stops and burns

^This. If dragons didn't make PvP OOS I would use them in every fight but well I can't.

Konstantin Fomenko
10-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Here`s few tips that I find really helpful, with this tactic I can easily defeat a camp garrisoned bu level 7+ archers.

-Bring few Siege Towers with you to drain archer fire and position them in front of your force
-Bring 8-10 trebuchets with flaming projectiles - you can easily set a fire to the enemy camp, unless it`s winter - but in that case their area of effect flaming projecties would still decimate the enemy camp
-Cavalry - to ride over archers - don`t just task your units to attack archers who try to escape the burning camp, but double click task to run over the units (make sure to set formation that`s good for charging)

And yap - once we get to balancing this won`t be a problem anymore. But above strategy would still work great.

chanman20
10-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Here`s few tips that I find really helpful, with this tactic I can easily defeat a camp garrisoned bu level 7+ archers.

-Bring few Siege Towers with you to drain archer fire and position them in front of your force
-Bring 8-10 trebuchets with flaming projectiles - you can easily set a fire to the enemy camp, unless it`s winter - but in that case their area of effect flaming projecties would still decimate the enemy camp
-Cavalry - to ride over archers - don`t just task your units to attack archers who try to escape the burning camp, but double click task to run over the units (make sure to set formation that`s good for charging)

And yap - once we get to balancing this won`t be a problem anymore. But above strategy would still work great.

yup ^^:D :D

Safey18
10-14-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm not sure what you mean about balancing because archers really aren't that strong. If my army of archers verses and army of mounted GMs I lose for sure. Even if they verse those orc things with the charging abillity I lose for sure. I only win if people are dumb and don't use sensible units.

Konstantin Fomenko
10-14-2011, 09:11 PM
This patch will effect mounted GMs the same. Pike wielding units will owe them.