PDA

View Full Version : Unit Specific Animations

Silent_Lamb
07-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Although maybe a little late in the development I thought I'd bring up something that is not particularly necessary, but really adds to the environment and feel of a game.

Unit Specific Animations, something you can see in Dawn of War or Medieval Total War 2. Something that has always taken me out of a game is watching units just hack and slash, cycling through 2-3 attack animations over and over again until the enemy dies. Although it's not as bad as I bring it up to be, it's still pretty dull. Some games like to throw in extra animations, like a finishing blow or a fancy sword maneuver when dispatching an enemy. You'll notice it in Medieval Total War 2 where a unit will land several blows on an enemy and then finish him off.

I was wondering if Dawn of Fantasy would incorporate this, and if the devs hadn't thought of it, if there was any way they could consider it.

SPARROW94
07-19-2007, 10:01 PM
hehehe thats what i regulary do playing RTS games just watch them fight

Darvin
07-19-2007, 10:50 PM
It's never bothered me that units cycle between 2 or 3 types of animations. I usually don't even notice if a game went cheap and only did one type of animation per action.

Alexander Flegler
07-20-2007, 11:37 AM
In DoF units have several animations for defending themself from an attack, while they defend themself they can't attack though.

Silent_Lamb
07-20-2007, 02:46 PM
It's never bothered me that units cycle between 2 or 3 types of animations. I usually don't even notice if a game went cheap and only did one type of animation per action.

As I said it's not really as bad as I make it out to be, it's just really a nice little touch.

It is good to hear that they cannot attack while their defense animation is being played. In fact it's good to hear in general that they have a defense animation. :)

The Witch King of Angmar
07-20-2007, 05:13 PM
As I said it's not really as bad as I make it out to be, it's just really a nice little touch.

It is good to hear that they cannot attack while their defense animation is being played. In fact it's good to hear in general that they have a defense animation. :)

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing this in action.

jap88
07-20-2007, 07:49 PM
But do the defense animations actually do anything? It's kind of stupid for them to defend themselves if they still take the same amount of damage.

Super Nova
07-20-2007, 08:57 PM
I hope the defense animations do some thing or it will be a waste but still if they dont then ohwell it is still good to have them.

The Witch King of Angmar
07-21-2007, 11:34 AM
I hope the defense animations do some thing or it will be a waste but still if they dont then ohwell it is still good to have them.

Yes I think the units will have a defend command as well as an attack.

Super Nova
07-21-2007, 05:41 PM
it would be nice if they would use both with out u commanding them to do
Example 1:your units are being overwelmed so the auto turn form att. to def.
and the defense animation/s are activated. Would that work ?

SPARROW94
07-21-2007, 10:31 PM
i watch some of the animation in the trailer with an one v one its was kewl...it was a man an a orc fighting

Ryan Zelazny
07-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Units have the ability to block to parry attacks, their chance to do so will depend on their level and the level of the attacker, also the type of unit/attack/weapon the attacker is using as well as the type of unit/weapon the defender is using. For example, an archer is going to be hard pressed to block or parry an attack from a cutting or stabbing weapon with a wooden bow.

There will possibly be other attacks and defenses units will learn at higher levels such as berserking, ripostes, and better combinations.

Continuing on with our theme of "realistic fantasy" we are trying to get away from the whole cut and dry math of RTS where Warrior does 8 damage, or even Warrior does 8HP damage or 6AP damage. There are a lot of variables that go into combat in DoF.

jap88
07-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Wow, a game that gets away from the basic blah blah blah does so much damage, i'm intrigued so far, though i'd like to know some of the other factors.

Silent_Lamb
07-24-2007, 01:43 AM
That is very good to hear, I like that. That was one of the things I always loved about Medieval Total War 2, when units were parrying attacks, getting into cool sword animations and all of that, it was very cool.

This is sort of a suggestion that didn't really warrant it's own thread. I know ranks will be in this game, but to be honest I've never really seen ranks do much for a game besides "Well it does more damage and I'm going to be a little sad when this unit dies."

Try to think Band of Brothers, World War 2, Veteran units that have fought with each other sinse the start of the war (Or the start of the game) fight stronger next to each other but they also share a very good friendship. When you see one go down you feel almost heart broken. It would be interesting to see that veteran units had some sort of extra oomph, it's hard to place my finger on it, that made them feel more special. Not just extra attack and defense. Unfortunately it's hard to explain what I mean, something to make the level of attachment greater.

I would also like to hear units, such as scouts, say things. For example, your scout is perched on top of a mountain, he sees an army coming at him. Are you supposed to keep an eye on the mini map? Well you should be, but the scout should also sort of give you a heads up. It would be nifty (but not necessary) if the response was also based on how big the army is. "Small unit moving your way sire" or "By god(s), the enemy army marches upon us sire!" or something along those lines.

Also a bit of a concern on the topic of veteran units. Will you be able to restock a squad with fresh troops? Say your veteran group loses a couple troops, will you be able to fill that back up back at town?

SPARROW94
07-24-2007, 09:49 AM
W O W T H I S G A M E P O W N S

The Witch King of Angmar
07-24-2007, 09:57 AM
That is very good to hear, I like that. That was one of the things I always loved about Medieval Total War 2, when units were parrying attacks, getting into cool sword animations and all of that, it was very cool.

This is sort of a suggestion that didn't really warrant it's own thread. I know ranks will be in this game, but to be honest I've never really seen ranks do much for a game besides "Well it does more damage and I'm going to be a little sad when this unit dies."

Try to think Band of Brothers, World War 2, Veteran units that have fought with each other sinse the start of the war (Or the start of the game) fight stronger next to each other but they also share a very good friendship. When you see one go down you feel almost heart broken. It would be interesting to see that veteran units had some sort of extra oomph, it's hard to place my finger on it, that made them feel more special. Not just extra attack and defense. Unfortunately it's hard to explain what I mean, something to make the level of attachment greater.

I would also like to hear units, such as scouts, say things. For example, your scout is perched on top of a mountain, he sees an army coming at him. Are you supposed to keep an eye on the mini map? Well you should be, but the scout should also sort of give you a heads up. It would be nifty (but not necessary) if the response was also based on how big the army is. "Small unit moving your way sire" or "By god(s), the enemy army marches upon us sire!" or something along those lines.

Also a bit of a concern on the topic of veteran units. Will you be able to restock a squad with fresh troops? Say your veteran group loses a couple troops, will you be able to fill that back up back at town?

Yeah cool ideas. I think dead units could heal up like in BFME with a well.

jap88
07-24-2007, 03:57 PM
I definitely want to see you be able to "restock" your battalions so to speak by just giving them new units. Perhaps it could be done like in Company of Heroes where if the squad is standing next to your building you can make a que of soldiers to replace the lost ones. In BFME it was done poorly as it took forever for squads to heal back up and there was virtually no way to replace losses when playing one of the evil factions.

ShadowyMoon
10-01-2007, 04:44 AM
If there is a squad restock system I think it should be done Total War series style where after the battle you have an option to ressuply all squads that suffered casualties at your stronghold. Though if it is a veteran squad XP should decrease based on casualties taken. In RTW it was very unrealistic that one guy being say 5th level survived and when you restock the squad everyone is 5th level.

Gallivan
10-01-2007, 11:57 AM
I don't think it would be hard to put in an algorithm where if 3 guys are level 3 and 7 are level 4, you'll end up with a unit that is rank 3.7. That would simply mean they are 70% of the way to rank four.

So...it would be:

((men/total men) * current rank) + etc. for how many ranks you have in your squad.

ShadowyMoon
10-01-2007, 01:44 PM
I know it won't be hard i just hope it's not forgotten like in RTW :(

Gallivan
10-01-2007, 05:44 PM
You just have to pester Reverie if they forget. :D

ShadowyMoon
10-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Haha I hope they won't. :p

Ryan Zelazny
10-02-2007, 12:47 PM
We are fleshing out the mechanics on how squads will gain XP and restock, once something is decided I shall inform you guys.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 02:19 PM
We are fleshing out the mechanics on how squads will gain XP and restock, once something is decided I shall inform you guys.

Will there be another video after this is done?

Ryan Zelazny
10-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Will there be another video after this is done?

Hopfully! However we have decided to stop posting visuals until our upgrades are finished.

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 05:09 PM
LOL a month ago i remember hearing "in an week time we will post a new video"

ShadowyMoon
10-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Dates can be changed greatly when you're making a game. Just have patience ;)

Ryan Zelazny
10-02-2007, 06:52 PM
It was scrapped when we got the notification that we aren't releasing anymore media. I wouldn't be too concerned, it just showcased various terrain-types, and wasn't too big of a deal.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 07:01 PM
It was scrapped when we got the notification that we aren't releasing anymore media. I wouldn't be too concerned, it just showcased various terrain-types, and wasn't too big of a deal.

Awww..... I will miss the screens.

ShadowyMoon
10-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Sacrafices have to be made for the greater good! (or game..)

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Sacrafices have to be made for the greater good! (or game..)

Unfortunatly yes. Man SM you are flying on posts dude!

ShadowyMoon
10-02-2007, 07:10 PM
I try,I try :D Though I try not to spam too. But it's hard sometimes...

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 07:11 PM
I try,I try :D Though I try not to spam too. But it's hard sometimes...

Must... resist.... spamming. Just talk to Sparrow about spamming if you ever have questions.

ShadowyMoon
10-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Imagine if he would start coding spam bots. It would be the end of the internet as we know it! :eek:

jap88
10-02-2007, 07:14 PM
/ end offtopic

Back on topic guys, we can't spam up every thread in existence ;)

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 07:30 PM
lol ihave a huge history of closing threads because of my spam

The Witch King of Angmar
10-03-2007, 03:47 PM
/ end offtopic

Back on topic guys, we can't spam up every thread in existence ;)

Ok ummmm..... wil we at least get concept art!?

SPARROW94
10-03-2007, 07:00 PM
i want an concept art for my warlord

The Witch King of Angmar
10-04-2007, 05:05 PM
i want an concept art for my warlord

Same for my Royal Dragon.

SPARROW94
10-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Ryan I Demand Concept Art

Sharku
10-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Ryan I Demand Concept ArtGimme, gimme never gets.

SPARROW94
10-10-2007, 05:21 PM
ARRRGH

sparrow94.

ShadowyMoon
10-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Stop poking and spamming dead threads...

SPARROW94
10-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Well Ill Start Poking Your Dead Zergling Rush Because I Found An Way To Counter It With Protoss

LordSlayer
04-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Well Ill Start Poking Your Dead Zergling Rush Because I Found An Way To Counter It With Protoss

Sparrow, plz go on a Sc forum if you want to discuss your zerg owning protoss tactics.