PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye

Neotyguy40
11-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Well guys, I have been checking these forums every week, but I need to say I am done on these forums.

Release date: The release date was said to be a year ago, and I have waited patiently enough for one and a half years. Sorry, I don't feel like doing this for the next 5 years.

Dragons: I expected them to be in the game, and was the first thing that I thought I would like in it. This is the major reason I am leaving.

Gameplay: While I was looking through confirmed gameplay, I see that it is much of it has changed from what was previously said, and I wanted it to be more like an MMO rather than a small skirmish.

I will check again in a few months... Or not... But it was fun looking here.

And to Reverie:

Delays happen, and many people don't mind. But a year? To me it feels like you all make 1 change and need to start over from the beginning, taking longer. Usually delays are to add on or fix bugs, but many features were taken out and there were STILL delays. I would go through another year of a delay if all these features weren't taken out. To tell you the truth? I am not expecting this game to come out until around 2011.

These rants are not made to hurt the game, they are just to state why I am leaving and what I expected.

Puppeteer
11-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Exaggeration aside, it was nice knowing you. Take care.

aVeron
11-25-2008, 04:52 PM
I feel for you, its sad...

kronlc
11-25-2008, 05:22 PM
the game will release late 2010

Generation
11-25-2008, 06:04 PM
take care!

Konstantin Fomenko
11-25-2008, 06:14 PM
We understand that delays (one after another) are very unfortunate – as you our fans see it. However, we consider ourselves lucky to be able to extend the development for this long – and still keep on-going strong without running out of funding. Every month the game is delayed - the more polished it gets. Think about Blizzard and WC3 - not quite the same scope, but same idea.

Unfortunately for us, but fortunately for our fans, we can no longer delay the release, and the game is coming out in Q1 2009 - like it says on our publisher’s website - Lighthouse Interactive.

And to address the features we had to cut - like Dragons. That is really, really unfortunate, but it gave us a chance to concentrate more on other features, and bring more polish to the other 3 races.

...wanted it to be more like an MMO rather than a small skirmish.
As far as focus on MMORTS goes - here I`ll have to discredit what you might have heard. Dawn of Fantasy right now boasts tons of mmorts features we didn’t even plan at start. Something which really started as persistent multiplayer turned into a true MMORTS, with complex storyline, lots of quests – unlike anything u saw in other MMORTS games, PvP and PvE gameplay, PvP quests, traveling the world map, visiting NPC controlled cities, huge research tree, unlockable content, micro-transaction e.t.c

Overall the game is shaping up real nice. We did went a bit overboard with gameplay modes - campaign, multiplayer, skirmish, scenarios, whole separate gameplay mode - MMORTS. So hopefully once you get to play the game this spring you`ll quickly forget about all the delays.

Bottom line - we greatly appreciate all of you guys sticking around to see this development through!

crex719
11-25-2008, 06:49 PM
We understand that delays (one after another) are very unfortunate – as you our fans see it. However, we consider ourselves lucky to be able to extend the development for this long – and still keep on-going strong without running out of funding. Every month the game is delayed - the more polished it gets. Think about Blizzard and WC3 - not quite the same scope, but same idea.

Unfortunately for us, but fortunately for our fans, we can no longer delay the release, and the game is coming out in Q1 2009 - like it says on our publisher’s website - Lighthouse Interactive.

And to address the features we had to cut - like Dragons. That is really, really unfortunate, but it gave us a chance to concentrate more on other features, and bring more polish to the other 3 races.

As far as focus on MMORTS goes - here I`ll have to discredit what you might have heard. Dawn of Fantasy right now boasts tons of mmorts features we didn’t even plan at start. Something which really started as persistent multiplayer turned into a true MMORTS, with complex storyline, lots of quests – unlike anything u saw in other MMORTS games, PvP and PvE gameplay, PvP quests, traveling the world map, visiting NPC controlled cities, huge research tree, unlockable content, micro-transaction e.t.c

Overall the game is shaping up real nice. We did went a bit overboard with gameplay modes - campaign, multiplayer, skirmish, scenarios, whole separate gameplay mode - MMORTS. So hopefully once you get to play the game this spring you`ll quickly forget about all the delays.

Bottom line - we greatly appreciate all of you guys sticking around to see this development through!

Great to hear it, so beta soon i guess? :p

fyro11
11-25-2008, 07:40 PM
I think most would be kept on edge even with a single quality screenshot a week. On the other hand, you may just wish to surprise us with the package as a whole.

The Witch King of Angmar
11-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Lol, this is the first leaving topic we've had. Ok, bye.

kronlc
11-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Buck up man, I hate this damned waiting to' but its nothing
to spill ones coffee over. I hate to think what its like
for the coves that have been keeping up with the project
since its beginning ....Witchking ...Esc...puppet ..and the other
mderator fellow Ive forgotten his name..to say but a few...stout fellows im shure...

but as konstantine sais, the more time they spend on it, the more
polished the material' the better success over all for your enjoyment and
the enjoyment of them that have yet to even hear of the game.

take consilation in the fact that plenty of good games will be releasing 2009
"empire total war for ne that will easily keep me and others in good entertainment untill dawnoffantasys is ready....I for one dont want to see a unfinished product...that would be worse then a long wait I think.

Esculas the Mighty
11-26-2008, 01:47 AM
Buck up man, I hate this damned waiting to' but its nothing
to spill ones coffee over. I hate to think what its like
for the coves that have been keeping up with the project
since its beginning ....Witchking ...Esc...puppet ..and the other
mderator fellow Ive forgotten his name..to say but a few...stout fellows im shure...

but as konstantine sais, the more time they spend on it, the more
polished the material' the better success over all for your enjoyment and
the enjoyment of them that have yet to even hear of the game.

take consilation in the fact that plenty of good games will be releasing 2009
"empire total war for ne that will easily keep me and others in good entertainment untill dawnoffantasys is ready....I for one dont want to see a unfinished product...that would be worse then a long wait I think.

agreed yet i havent been here nearly as long as they have =P

raving
11-26-2008, 03:13 AM
sorry to hear that you leaving mate.

Jean=A=Luc
11-26-2008, 06:44 AM
This game is neither the first nor the last to be delayed, nor is it the longest delay in gaming history (not by far) especially considering this isn't a big developer.

He just needs to vent all the drama & nerd rage that's accumulated, he'll be back when the game is out.

raving
11-26-2008, 09:08 AM
whats the longest that a game got delayed then?

Mrdash
11-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Hey I understand you getting tired of waiting.

But come on leaving mainly cuz of the Dragons? They did say they would implement them in a booster/espansion.

And to give up when ur almost there? Just a few more months?

Thats like driving half way to Disney Land get tired of how long its taking and drive that half back.

Puppeteer
11-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Or finding out that one ride is closed, and jacking it all in.
That was a nice post kronlc, why can't you write like that all the time? :p but we haven't been here since the start. That was many years ago, I believe.

Jean=A=Luc
11-26-2008, 12:24 PM
whats the longest that a game got delayed then?

Heard about Sun Age? It took 11 years to make. God only knows how many "delays" they had. How about Duke Nukem Forever? It's been over 10 years and we're still waiting. :)

Don't know if those are the longest times but I think you'll agree it's pretty damn long.

raving
11-27-2008, 04:42 AM
thats long yes lol

Mrdash
11-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Tablusa Rasa took 6 years w/ pay. And just found out Rasa's servers will be shut down for good. But of course this won't happen to you guys. =D You guys RULE!

ShadowyMoon
11-30-2008, 06:11 AM
Team Fortress 1 -> Team Fortress 2. HUGE delay. StarCraft -> StarCraft II Almost 10 years. I've gotten used to it, to be honest. I dislike how most gamers nowadays want everything as fast as possible without considering the development process at all.

Mrdash
12-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Yes and thwey get what they deserve when companies like EA put out a game in 6 months. Doesnt mean their bad just no where near what they could have been. I WANT BETTER MoH HEROES TWO ONLINE PLAY!!!

iceblast
12-05-2008, 01:59 PM
cya mate im still put my trust in this game.

nickson104
12-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Au Revoir mon copain, you shall be missed. And yes i agree that although delays are annoying they are necessary and worthwhile

SPARROW94
12-07-2008, 12:32 PM
dawn of war dark crusade > dawn of war soulstorm, i ust thught my pinion matters

Joseph Visscher
12-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Bye Neotyguy40, nice knowing you man.

Neotyguy40
12-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey guys, I came to say hello and to see what's happening.

I've seen some mixed responses of what is happening, some cheerful and straight to the point, and others angry and disapointing.

I am not trying to say it is a horrible game. It didn't even come out yet!

What I AM saying is that most games ADD things when they get delayed, to me it seems like they are taking things away.

I will check again in a few weeks/months to see if it gets released.

Andy Joslin
12-30-2008, 02:39 PM
What I AM saying is that most games ADD things when they get delayed, to me it seems like they are taking things away.
What are we taking away?

The Witch King of Angmar
12-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Dragons I guess. Maybe he found it a big let down that you delayed them.

MrBlack103
12-30-2008, 06:29 PM
he'll be back when the game is out.

No he won't. None of us will. We'll all be too busy playing it:p

EDIT: That is, if my PC can handle it. Then I'll just be spamming "why yo guys make game so system requirement high thing!?". See? I wouldn't even bother to punctuate and arrange my sentences properly because I'll be so angry that I don't get to play it unless I spend heaps of money on system upgrade (or a new PC).

Andy Joslin
12-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Dragons I guess. Maybe he found it a big let down that you delayed them.
True...

You must realize that many of the things we posted about weren't even started, only conceptualized. We decided to drop dragons among a few other things and instead make a polished, long-lasting game for the player. People would rather play less very good content than tons of OK.

The main chunk of work for me (SCN department) is MMO quests.
The first thing to do for each race is our 'nooby-land'. This is not some skimpy little thing like most MMORPGS have. You don't run around doing with your near-naked character carrying a 3-damage weapon :p. You start with your village and have to build it up, clearing your land of enemies and starting your town build-up while the plot kick-starts. These nooby-lands vary for each race, and also for each MMO sub-race.
Then there are quests. These take tons of man-hours each to create. First the designer writes out the framework for the gameplay & story of our huge line of quests. Then the writers have to turn this story into a script: Dialogue, and notes for what happens in gameplay. Then the map designers have to design the various scenario maps for each quest, which takes awhile as our maps all look very good. Finally, my department, actually makes the gameplay. We write the LUA code and test and polish and test and polish it, et cetera for hours on end until it is A-grade.

The above paragraph describes but one dimension of DoF which touches the SCN department. Most of the quests described are unique between races, though there is a small share of 'shared' quests between races, which all occur in the same place. Adding dragons to the mix is at least another month or two of work from all these departments just for MMO quests, added on to all of DoF's other many aspects.

So the choices:
1. Add dragons and delay the game more
2. Add dragons and cut many things short, leave the game less polished, and possibly even buggy upon release
3. Drop dragons, and delve into making a deep game with three races instead of a shallow one with four. You may not realize it, but Dawn of Fantasy will end up a better and more fun game without putting dragons in the initial release.

MrBlack103
12-31-2008, 04:19 AM
Sounds like the logical decision to me. Hey, I'd still be happy if you never even ended up implementing dragons in an expansion.

sharplion
01-16-2009, 04:26 AM
I TOTALLY AGREE, they said it would come out much sooner but nothing happened!!!
so tired of such, im not the usual gamewaiter but I made myself an account just because I thought it would come out SOON.

Although, maybe the game is worth waiting, let's hope it's an RTS with online functions, if it's not - DOH

:P

Neotyguy40
03-01-2009, 04:17 PM
I totally forgot about this place until yesterday... Thought I would take a look and see if the game is out.

I guess I was wrong though, it's still going to be a while.

1. Dragons weren't the only thing taken out, their were a few modes that you said you would put in, but then decided not to.
2. I am a game designer too, but I would have thought that you should wait until the game is actually started to tell the public about it. It would lessen the amount of let down many people would suffer.
3. This may be my last post for another few months, but I am happy to see many people are still hyped about this.
4. I find the community a bit... Small... There are only a handful of people who have been here for a while.

The_Biz
03-01-2009, 04:57 PM
didn't this start as an AoK mod?

those things get told to the public real quick... and if you decide to make that a totally different game, then you need many years to work on it

Andy Joslin
03-01-2009, 04:59 PM
1. Dragons weren't the only thing taken out, their were a few modes that you said you would put in, but then decided not to.
Example please? I cannot recall game-modes that were taken out. Of course, we may have different interpretations of game-mode...I'm thinking of things like Skirmish, MMORTS, Campaign.

2. I am a game designer too, but I would have thought that you should wait until the game is actually started to tell the public about it. It would lessen the amount of let down many people would suffer.
The game has been in earnest production since 2004.

Anyway, good luck to you Neo. Remember, you are The One.

Jean=A=Luc
03-01-2009, 06:25 PM
N40, if you were really a game designer you'd know better than to make some of the comments you did. You actually sound like someone who has no idea how difficult game design is, especially with limited resources and manpower.

The Witch King of Angmar
03-01-2009, 06:48 PM
He also doesn't understand that you can't please everyone and that you need to wait for something worth-while.

Joseph Visscher
03-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Unlike other games or game developers, we did not start with a game engine, we started with a blank piece of paper, pretty much every game released today is based of some sort of engine, Bioshock > unreal tournament engine, entire cod series, entire bf2 series, entire hl2 series( portal, tf2, css, dods, esp1&2&3) > Source engine, Sage engine ( cnc generals, zero hour, bfme1, bfme2, bfme2 rotwk, cnc3, cnc3 kw, ra 3), pretty much all EA sports games, pretty much all rockstar games (gta 3 - gta4+.
All of these games and developers had something to build off of, you think you are a game designer if you make a mod for say Red Alert 3? no you just adding some changes and art files to the SAGE engine. making something from scratch is a much larger challenge.
We are building our own game engine from scratch; unlike other companies who can bring some big money to the table to simply purchase a prebuilt game engine.

Jean=A=Luc
03-01-2009, 08:10 PM
You silly thing, engines go in cars, not games.

Danny Vink
03-01-2009, 09:19 PM
The game is being developed by a small team, compared to the hundreds, or thousands of people developing major third-party and first-party games. If we released the game on the said release date, it wouldn't be ready.

People complain about bugs in games after they are released, saying things about how they should have been fixed beforehand. What we are trying to do is fix these bugs before release, that way you can enjoy the game much more when we do release it

szebus
03-02-2009, 04:24 AM
Sadly people will always complain about the game quality, but this is normal. You have to do the game the way people won't complain that mutch and then release, after that you can patch the "complains", right ?

Creating youre own engine makes me think youre targets are not only the players with huge systems but even those who plays on laptops or older machines.

A close beta will be great even in this state of the game just to ease the pain, but then there is some who do not understand the meaning of a beta test and starting to complain about the game and can even start to make bad publicity. :(

By quiting the forum I do not see a treath, even I quit reading the forum sometimes for longer periods, then I'm back, there is nothing to loose if there is no game yet, there will be. Beside this we all have a life, not the virtual one, where there are other things to atend to.

The Witch King of Angmar
03-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Personally, by starting the forum so early before game production, I think Reverie will be able to meet consumer's needs alot better like they have so far.

Neotyguy40
03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
N40, if you were really a game designer you'd know better than to make some of the comments you did. You actually sound like someone who has no idea how difficult game design is, especially with limited resources and manpower.

That is a very stupid assumption to make about someone. I know the steps of the game design process, programming, and design. I could make a game by myself if I wanted. Granted it would have poor graphics since I am not skilled at the artistic side of it, but it would have good gameplay and story.

Unlike other games or game developers, we did not start with a game engine.

That answers my question about why it has been taking so long... I just assumed you had one since you had a trailer and screenies of the game already.

Jean=A=Luc
03-05-2009, 04:39 AM
No more stupid then your assumption that they started with a finished game engine. :rolleyes:

In any case, wasn't this supposed to be a "goodbye thread"? It's starting to look less and less so.

szebus
03-05-2009, 04:48 AM
It is a long and off topic goodby. :P

The Witch King of Angmar
03-05-2009, 07:41 AM
I say this thread should be closed. Neo, either stay or leave because this is getting ridiculous.

Andy Joslin
03-05-2009, 08:13 AM
And on that positive note, I bid this thread 'Goodbye' (in honor of its title).