PDA

View Full Version : Cost of units

Eightball
10-07-2011, 03:31 AM
Something needs done about the cost of making your own units at your home town.

As it stands, as an example, crossbowmen cost 250 gold, plus 150 wood and 200 food or so, my numbers are probably wrong, but regardless, my next point is unnaffected regardless of what the numbers actually are.

If you sell that 200 food, and 150 wood, or whatever it is, and keep the 250 gold, you will probably have about 400-500 gold from it. With that, you could purchase nearly 2 crossbowmen at a mercenary camp or NPC town.

Where is the advantage you have gained from building your own archery range/barracks/stables? It is still cheaper and more worthwhile to just purchase these as mercenaries.

Please reduce the costs to something like this - 100 gold, 50 food, 75 wood for crossbowmen. This would make it more productive to manufacture your own units rather than just pay a flat fee of gold from an NPC town. To counter the cost reduction - you could increase the build time to say 10 mins per unit or so, so you are limited in the amount you can use it in a short time.

White935
10-07-2011, 03:33 AM
ehh it would be more feastable to make mercenaries more expensive, so that their more rarely bought, and its more feastable to produce at home, and it would stop these huge mercenary armies. infact units costs to little atm which is why people have pure knight/mounted knight armies, instead of a balance of a few high and lower tier units togethere.

Eightball
10-07-2011, 03:34 AM
I wouldn't go as far as saying units are too cheap, when you can lose every single thing you have in 1 pvp battle where you lose.

White935
10-07-2011, 03:41 AM
I wouldn't go as far as saying units are too cheap, when you can lose every single thing you have in 1 pvp battle where you lose.

hmmm true, but i would like to see more balanced armies, instead of like what i've encountered with just pure mounted grand masters for instance. i figure a higher cost would force players to produce a few high tiers and then some lowers to back em up. but i guess there might be "better" ways to encourage this than higher prices.

but increaseing the mercenaries costs would solve the production at home issue anyway, and thus stop people from making pure mercenary armies, and instead useing mercenaries as a addition to ones army instead of replaceing it.

Eightball
10-07-2011, 03:48 AM
The way to stop people using too many higher tier units would just be to fix the unit balance. Cavalry should be properly countered by halberdiers, archers should be countered by cavalry, and archers should counter halberdiers. Swordsmen should be able to also defend against archers a bit and halberdiers a bit for example. Can't say too much about the other races units since I haven't played them, but that is by far the best solution. Then an army with only cav, would get beat by a mixed balanced army with some halberdiers in it.

Personally I think the actual costs of the mercenaries are fine, you don't want to make it too hard to rebuild an army after losing everything, but at the same time, it would be nice to actually benefit from your in town production capabilities. My personal opinion is that build times should be longer at home, but should be WAAAAY cheaper than mercenaries. Atm, not only do you have a build time at home, but it costs 2x as much resource to build than it does to just sell that resource and buy mercs.

White935
10-07-2011, 03:52 AM
atm theres people running around with mixed armies o the best human troops, best orc troops (our best unit is the ogre, the rest is atm believed to be inferior to the other races) and ect. theres even humans with pure ogre armies as they keep buying mercenries like mad. (fought one guy with it, and he him self said he was useing it <.<)
thats what i base my belief that mercenaries should be expensive, so that their only bought to suplement instead of replacing.

edit: perhaps making it so hireing mercenaries from a different race than your own is more expensive?

Ducard
10-07-2011, 04:10 AM
I still think we need an upkeep system, where mercenaries brought in npc towns costs more then the ones you build in your hometown.

Kinda strange when you have couple of 60 men armys and they do not cost any kind of maintenance/food or they donīt want a salary for their duty.

andreicde
10-07-2011, 06:58 AM
I disagree. The reason why mercenaries are cheaper is because the mercenaries don't get your homeland bonus.For example while mercenaries are great , my units at lvl 9 would get 20% extra damage and hp which is a big deal.So that's why

Eightball
10-07-2011, 07:27 AM
I disagree. The reason why mercenaries are cheaper is because the mercenaries don't get your homeland bonus.For example while mercenaries are great , my units at lvl 9 would get 20% extra damage and hp which is a big deal.So that's why

Nice of the game to make that ability known. Didn't know this at all, if this is true.

xeovy
10-07-2011, 07:46 AM

I did not know that.
are sure that the mercenaries do not take the skills in your town?

karamot
10-07-2011, 07:52 AM
berserk production cost is 375 food 250 wood 250 gold
keep in mid that i can train a berserk from a marauder or slayer

berserk mercenary cost is about 450 gold

thats crazy.....

im just selling wargs to buy troops... faster and cheaper then produce soldiers..

really bad :(

andreicde
10-07-2011, 07:55 AM
I did not know that.
are sure that the mercenaries do not take the skills in your town?

I am very sure

xeovy
10-07-2011, 08:38 AM
if so, I think it's better to create soldiers in your city.
A mercenary, trained at level 10
not be a level equal to a 10 created in your city.
So is more logical and better to create them in the city.
One question:
Dwarves mercenaries can only be purchased with crowns?
And the dragons?

andreicde
10-07-2011, 09:19 AM
One question:
And the dragons?

yes, they are crowns only units.

White935
10-07-2011, 09:20 AM
One question:
And the dragons?

to my knowlegde yes only dwarves and dragons can only be gained throught the use of crowns/infulence.

crowns/infulence can be gained by, fighting in pvp. siegeing npc cities (bugged atm i believe). doing quests. or when the market opens purchase crowns. (i'll be buying crowns now and then in order to support teh company/devs)

Vish_Virtus
10-07-2011, 09:25 AM
To be honest, they should jack the prices 200%, I have so much gold and resources it is crazy, that. there needs to be more things to use up the resources.

Healing should also be equal to 1/2 the amount of what you took from the last battle, and it should be important to load up using workers to collect resources off the bodies. I don't see the point any more cause I have so much.

I guess I could be fighting more but will see

White935
10-07-2011, 09:28 AM
To be honest, they should jack the prices 200%, I have so much gold and resources it is crazy, that. there needs to be more things to use up the resources.

Healing should also be equal to 1/2 the amount of what you took from the last battle, and it should be important to load up using workers to collect resources off the bodies. I don't see the point any more cause I have so much.

I guess I could be fighting more but will see

i agree, but they should wait, they want us to use everything atm :=) that way we find any extra bugs thats around. same with pvp

Valkyrie
10-07-2011, 12:30 PM
imo the cost of mercs from NPC towns should be X2-3 and soldiers built in your home city x1.5 or something cus atm i think it's to cheap to make units. but that might just be me.