PDA

View Full Version : DOF Heros?

The Witch King of Angmar
07-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Will DOF have any hero type units like a prince or king or something like that?

Thanks

Sharku
07-19-2007, 05:42 PM
The only heroes i can think of would be the Spellcaster units. Those guys require training and learning new spells, the stereotype of the basic hero.

Super Nova
07-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Well will there be a unit that can lvl/Or can all unit lvl up ?

jap88
07-19-2007, 11:25 PM
I personally hope there aren't any hero units, i hate heroes.

Sharku
07-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Well will there be a unit that can lvl/Or can all unit lvl up ?I don't think units lvl up, maybe the Spellcasters.

Super Nova
07-20-2007, 05:53 PM
jap88 Why do u hate hero/s?

It would be nice if u could make any unit ur hero so then u could have more customization......and put a maxuim hero limit or something
Sorry for any misspellings.

The Witch King of Angmar
07-21-2007, 11:35 AM
jap88 Why do u hate hero/s?

It would be nice if u could make any unit ur hero so then u could have more customization......and put a maxuim hero limit or something
Sorry for any misspellings.

Yeah don't make heros like on BFME2 that are way to overpowered. Try to balance things out.

SPARROW94
07-21-2007, 10:34 PM
well witchking dude maybe they might be very powerfull because in the features i read that theres powers that can wipe out whole armys

The Witch King of Angmar
07-22-2007, 03:37 PM
well witchking dude maybe they might be very powerfull because in the features i read that theres powers that can wipe out whole armys

That however, would be after the heros/spellcasters would get extremly leveled up. I meant to the point where it is nearimpossible to kill them let alone hurt them.

Ryan Zelazny
07-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Wow, go away for the weekend and the forums go crazy. ;)

Alright, to answer some questions, all units in the game level up; workers, melee, ranged, everyone. This really comes into play when you use MMORTS, and your army is persistant, because you will only get more and more powerful with each victory. However this doesn't mean you can use your power to pick on the little guys, you will be pitted against armies equal to your own.

We do have heroes in the singleplayer campaigns, who are key characters to the storyline, it would be kind of silly not to have them, and have random "Swordsman 26" be the main character or something.

Spellcasters work differently than any other unit in the game, you will generally have one or two spellcasters per army, and they will take a long time to train, however magic is VERY powerful, a single spell can destroy tons of units.

Darvin
07-23-2007, 03:03 PM
That makes those spellcasters a major target. I sure hope battles don't come down to who can fry the other's spellcasters first.

jap88
07-23-2007, 03:57 PM
So it's more like experience that "leveling up", makes sense. Like a veterancy sort of deal.

The Witch King of Angmar
07-23-2007, 04:15 PM
So it's more like experience that "leveling up", makes sense. Like a veterancy sort of deal.

Yeah. But will when you get your next attack or ability be based on experience points or something?

Ryan Zelazny
07-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Your units will have "levels", basically with higher levels they will just become more effecient, their attack and defense values raised, I don't know the exact math for how the leveling system works, but I believe abilities are based upon stat values. E.g. Defense lvl 8, warriors can buffet with their shield.

In response to Darvin's post, you can also use this as a lure, if you concentrated on other units and left your Spell caster at lvl 1, you could always use him as bait for an ambush, or just as a distraction. Make your spellcaster cast a low level spell in view of your enemy, they will be freaking out thinking something epic is coming, while your infantry is slipping over their back walls.

jap88
07-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Can you define where experience goes or do they just get veterancy after x number of kills and that raises their values a set amount?

Ryan Zelazny
07-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Can you define where experience goes or do they just get veterancy after x number of kills and that raises their values a set amount?

Pretty much like you said, XP goes into their accumulated total, once they achieve enough XP they gain a level, which will raise their values a set amount.

E.g.

Warrior 1 xp 0 lvl 0
Warrior 1 kills an enemy worth 100 xp, gains lvl 1, attack +1, defense +1.

It would be too hard to process players choosing which stats increase and such, so levels will be predetermined for what bonuses they recieve. That way when we are determining a hit/miss/block/parry/ect. we can just put: lvl 8 Human Warrior vs lvl 5 Orc Warrior, and do a "roll" to see the outcome. Although because it is a "roll" values aren't always the same, very much how combat is determined in RPGs.

jap88
07-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Alright, makes sense, thanks for the answers. And yeah, i see that being a lot easier, i like the RPG Roll for RTS units, should be interesting to see it work.

Darvin
07-23-2007, 08:34 PM
So it's the unit that makes the kill that gets the experience? The consequence of that is that is that high damage units tend to get all the experience. This leaves little experience for the lower damage (so called "tanking") units that are covering those high damage ones. I personally like the Warcraft system where every allied unit within range of a kill shares the experience of the kill (although in that game, it was only heroes and not units, but the same principle applies).

The Witch King of Angmar
07-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Your units will have "levels", basically with higher levels they will just become more effecient, their attack and defense values raised, I don't know the exact math for how the leveling system works, but I believe abilities are based upon stat values. E.g. Defense lvl 8, warriors can buffet with their shield.

In response to Darvin's post, you can also use this as a lure, if you concentrated on other units and left your Spell caster at lvl 1, you could always use him as bait for an ambush, or just as a distraction. Make your spellcaster cast a low level spell in view of your enemy, they will be freaking out thinking something epic is coming, while your infantry is slipping over their back walls.

Is their a max level or point your units can reach?

Thanks

SPARROW94
07-24-2007, 02:30 PM
oh so common sense tells me that orcs are going to have some pretty sweet melee heros and elvs are going to have some kick @$$ spellcasters

JT11
07-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Wow, go away for the weekend and the forums go crazy. ;)

Alright, to answer some questions, all units in the game level up; workers, melee, ranged, everyone. This really comes into play when you use MMORTS, and your army is persistant, because you will only get more and more powerful with each victory. However this doesn't mean you can use your power to pick on the little guys, you will be pitted against armies equal to your own.

We do have heroes in the singleplayer campaigns, who are key characters to the storyline, it would be kind of silly not to have them, and have random "Swordsman 26" be the main character or something.

Spellcasters work differently than any other unit in the game, you will generally have one or two spellcasters per army, and they will take a long time to train, however magic is VERY powerful, a single spell can destroy tons of units.We can't "pick on the little guys"? That sounds limiting...er...how persistent is the MMO aspect of the game? Does everyone exist in the same world? Er...that just sounds really frustrating.

Please don't tell me the game is basically instanced combat that levels up a kingdom that cannot ever die. Carebear?

EDIT: Just read more about it...sounds like you can never be permanently killed...lame.

EDIT: O, and it does sound "instanced".

..."E.g. Defense lvl 8, warriors can buffet with their shield."...buffet?

Darvin
07-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Please don't tell me the game is basically instanced combat that levels up a kingdom that cannot ever die.

That's my concern, as well; but we'll wait and see what Reverie has up their sleeves. They don't seem to be the type to take the easy way out of a potentially rewarding problem.

WhiteHawk
07-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Well according to what I read in the official website, the environment around your piece of land will remain the same, and if you destroy the trees, for example, they will remain destroyed until new trees grow.

You have to take into account however, that the environment between your terrain and that of your enemy will be randomly generated, so it's always new.
Think of it as the normal multiplayer mode, except you can truly build great castles and massive armies and teach great sorcerers.

The major difference is that since everything is retained in the MMORTS mode, all your work is saved and you can make everything extra-large.

JT11
07-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Well according to what I read in the official website, the environment around your piece of land will remain the same, and if you destroy the trees, for example, they will remain destroyed until new trees grow.

You have to take into account however, that the environment between your terrain and that of your enemy will be randomly generated, so it's always new.
Think of it as the normal multiplayer mode, except you can truly build great castles and massive armies and teach great sorcerers.

The major difference is that since everything is retained in the MMORTS mode, all your work is saved and you can make everything extra-large.So it's a deathmatch with a custom castle...not an MMO, this is fail. Seems so pointless, you can't fight people with less stuff than you.

WhiteHawk
07-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Well it's possible that there will be a way of challenging other people through invites or something. ( On the Xbox 360, maybe through the dashboard )

Darvin
07-26-2007, 05:05 PM
I think we're all reiterating what is fundamentally the same concern; that MMO mode is going to become a glorified deathmatch.

However, the Reverie people I've seen on the forums all seem to know their way around gaming, particularly RTS gaming. As such, I don't think that fact is lost on them. They wouldn't be pursuing the MMORTS unless they had something up their sleeves to make it unique, so I'm willing to wait and see what they have.

Ryan Zelazny
07-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Well everyone, your concerns are well warranted, as we haven't released a whole lot of information on our MMO aspect and conclusions can be drawn from what we have released.

I don't have enough info personally to answer your questions, so I will get Konstantin to give that a go.

Thanks for your confidence in us Darvin!

Also...
..."E.g. Defense lvl 8, warriors can buffet with their shield."...buffet?
Buffeting is a skill where you hit your opponent with your shield, dazing him and thereby setting yourself up for an undefended strike.

The Witch King of Angmar
07-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Well everyone, your concerns are well warranted, as we haven't released a whole lot of information on our MMO aspect and conclusions can be drawn from what we have released.

I don't have enough info personally to answer your questions, so I will get Konstantin to give that a go.

Thanks for your confidence in us Darvin!

Also...

Buffeting is a skill where you hit your opponent with your shield, dazing him and thereby setting yourself up for an undefended strike.

Yeah I'm not willing to rip on any game unless I've played it and kow it's bad. I can't wait to see what you guys come out with.

SPARROW94
07-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Wow Alot Of Info Here

Sharku
08-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Wow Alot Of Info Here
You'd be suprised, reverie has kept the community quite up to date and it's a refreshing change from other tight lipped companies. *cough*Blizzard*cough*

SPARROW94
08-01-2007, 10:31 AM
lol some bodys been doing home work

Sharku
08-01-2007, 10:33 AM
lol some bodys been doing home workAP Project all summer and it's due tomorrow :(