PDA

View Full Version : Custom map Strongholds?

MrBlack103
11-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Okay, I was wondering if you would be able, in the map editor, make a custom fortress on par with the scale and complexity of, say, Minas Tirith in LotR? I'm asking this because I always love making massive defend-the-spot scenarios.

The Witch King of Angmar
11-13-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't know if they'd have that. I mean you could probably do something like that due to the fact that Men fortresses are in that ring type of structure. It may just take some time or be complicated but I think yes.

crex719
11-13-2008, 04:30 PM
couldnt be that hard....form mountains in the form of walls..

MrBlack103
11-13-2008, 05:32 PM
And place walls on top of them etc...

I was just hoping there were no "limits".

Esculas the Mighty
11-13-2008, 07:11 PM
And place walls on top of them etc...

limits SUCK

Andy Joslin
11-13-2008, 07:21 PM
I agree. Limits suck! :D

Anyway, this would definitely be possible.

Joseph Visscher
11-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Extremely possible, I would just use elven walls, scale them up 200%, would need to use quite a few bridge markers, but its completely possible to make a massive stronghold that size, I could defiantly see someone remaking Minas Tirith for the custom map community.

I'd keep a Elven twist to it, correct me if I am wrong , but Minas Tirith was built originally by the Elves in lotr.

Heck you can do a lot of stuff with our editor, its limitless; just this morning I used wall assets angled in various horizontal positions to build a Orc wooden prison and death pit used to execute captives in Makkada region of Flattan Rol, one of the bigest and oldest Orc Kingdoms.
The death pit mostly consists of a square walled in pit with bloody spikes, dead bodies of executed captives, and a pool of blood upto your knees.
:rolleyes:

The Witch King of Angmar
11-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Man I hate gore. Anyways that would be awesome. I'd love to build a Helm's Deep. That'd be really awesome with men.

MrBlack103
11-14-2008, 02:50 PM
You have no idea how happy I am to hear it that you can make fortresses that BIG!

I'd keep a Elven twist to it, correct me if I am wrong , but Minas Tirith was built originally by the Elves in lotr.

Uhmmm... Don't you mean the Numenorians? Correct me if I'm wrong. However, I agree, the elven walls would be the best thing for MT.

Esculas the Mighty
11-14-2008, 03:36 PM
You have no idea how happy I am to hear it that you can make fortresses that BIG!

Uhmmm... Don't you mean the Numenorians? Correct me if I'm wrong. However, I agree, the elven walls would be the best thing for MT.

woot massive elven capital !

MrBlack103
11-14-2008, 06:34 PM
hehe, the trees would look too small compared to it.

Esculas the Mighty
11-14-2008, 07:12 PM
hehe, the trees would look too small compared to it.

thats the plan!

i wanna be sieged for hours lol!

by humans , dragons , orcs , and elves ( zomg traitor )

at the same time in my city and off coast!

Andy Joslin
11-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Make a single player defense map then. No human is going to want to siege your stronghold. :p

The Witch King of Angmar
11-14-2008, 08:05 PM
What do you mean by that? Also, I'd love to make an island fort with ports on it only acessible by sea.

Andy Joslin
11-14-2008, 11:26 PM
What do you mean by that?
You'd want to siege his 2000 layer 20 mile high wall stronghold?:confused:

The Witch King of Angmar
11-15-2008, 08:55 AM
I meant the later part with the human thing. Whatever, it's not important. Back on topic, I'd love to make a fort that take up like half of the map. That'd be incredible.

Konstantin Fomenko
11-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Let me add on to this.

As you might or might not know, founders of Reverie, and most of our leads had all been hobbyist level designers in the past (myself, I spent good 7 years a while back designing all kinds of levels for SC, AoK, EE, WC3 e.t.c). So when it comes to our editor - we used our combined experience in the field to make sure it`s GOOD - powerful, and easy to use.

So as far as level design goes, and what stronghold you are able to create - as Joseph and Andy already said - possibilities are limitless.

Attached is a 3 side shot of one of the Human strongholds - which slightly resembles Minas Tirith. 3 round of walls, and sort of built on a mountain. This is by far not the largest Stronghold we have in-game, capital Orcish sity of Makkada is almost twice the size I think. So as you can see - Our editor won`t stand in a way of either the scope and creative vision you had in mind.

And Joseph - definetly Elven walls for Minas Tirith.

MrBlack103
11-15-2008, 12:58 PM
That looks pretty good. And I'm so glad you released another screen:D

A couple of problems I have with the actual stronghold, though.

-There is no road surface:( for bad guys to leave the dead (or almost dead) bodies of their foes on to trample over

-The street system, IMO, is no where near complex enough. ME WANT MAZE TO GET LOST IN!

-It is not a screen of your "Makkada". Twice as big!!!???? So how big is the largest human stronghold you guys have designed?

Esculas the Mighty
11-15-2008, 03:26 PM
That looks pretty good. And I'm so glad you released another screen:D

A couple of problems I have with the actual stronghold, though.

-There is no road surface:( for bad guys to leave the dead (or almost dead) bodies of their foes on to trample over

-The street system, IMO, is no where near complex enough. ME WANT MAZE TO GET LOST IN!

-It is not a screen of your "Makkada". Twice as big!!!???? So how big is the largest human stronghold you guys have designed?

u must dig amazingly complex cities i invite you to play anno 1701

I hope these screen shots are close to what your expecting tho i thank that human city can be 3 times bigger =P

MrBlack103
11-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I've seen all those. And, you guessed correctly - They're my favs! I especially like the first one.

Esculas the Mighty
11-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Let me add on to this.

As you might or might not know, founders of Reverie, and most of our leads had all been hobbyist level designers in the past (myself, I spent good 7 years a while back designing all kinds of levels for SC, AoK, EE, WC3 e.t.c). So when it comes to our editor - we used our combined experience in the field to make sure it`s GOOD - powerful, and easy to use.

So as far as level design goes, and what stronghold you are able to create - as Joseph and Andy already said - possibilities are limitless.

Attached is a 3 side shot of one of the Human strongholds - which slightly resembles Minas Tirith. 3 round of walls, and sort of built on a mountain. This is by far not the largest Stronghold we have in-game, capital Orcish sity of Makkada is almost twice the size I think. So as you can see - Our editor won`t stand in a way of either the scope and creative vision you had in mind.

And Joseph - definetly Elven walls for Minas Tirith.

sooo how big is the elven capital bout the same as the orcs? or BIGGER!:eek:

nickson104
11-16-2008, 08:57 AM
sooo how big is the elven capital bout the same as the orcs? or BIGGER!:eek:

Smaller as the elves dont have many resources and dont have a large population so why have a huge city?

Esculas the Mighty
11-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Smaller as the elves dont have many resources and dont have a large population so why have a huge city?

say what?

low population -,-
low resources -,-
who told you that?!

i demand a source :(

Puppeteer
11-17-2008, 09:57 AM
I'd imagine Elves using their space wisely, whereas Orcs would just sprawl all over the place.

nickson104
11-17-2008, 02:23 PM
say what?

low population -,-
low resources -,-
who told you that?!

i demand a source :(

Common sense, in what texts have you heard of elves massing together in huge numbers, in numbers that would rival that of even the orcs? none spring to mind :p
and as for resources... the elves have an affinity for nature and do not partake in cutting down trees for resources... so that kinda limits them a lot...

And as puppy said yeah the elves would be very spacious wheras the orcs would be sprawled, humans in orderly fashion and dragons... who knows?

Esculas the Mighty
11-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Common sense, in what texts have you heard of elves massing together in huge numbers, in numbers that would rival that of even the orcs? none spring to mind :p
and as for resources... the elves have an affinity for nature and do not partake in cutting down trees for resources... so that kinda limits them a lot...

And as puppy said yeah the elves would be very spacious wheras the orcs would be sprawled, humans in orderly fashion and dragons... who knows?

awww i may go human now cause i need a city worth protecting thats why i turtle it helps my gameplay

Mrdash
11-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Some elvish fan you are. One complication and you ditch em....tisk tisk tisk...remind me not to ally with you off the bat...you might doublecross me as well...

I stand by my allies! =-D

kronlc
11-18-2008, 05:55 PM
awww i may go human now cause i need a city worth protecting thats why i turtle it helps my gameplay

Just think of them as spartan humans
with rapid fire Bow+Arrows....

Esculas the Mighty
11-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Some elvish fan you are. One complication and you ditch em....tisk tisk tisk...remind me not to ally with you off the bat...you might doublecross me as well...

I stand by my allies! =-D

im still gonna give them a shot first

and my devotion to a civ has nothing to do with my allies =P

ask the people ive played long diplomacy type games with i also don't ally right off the bat either lol im pretty stubborn =\

i wont betray them even if the odds are against us and i could just betray to get out of it

but if they back stab me :mad:

its on

Joseph Visscher
11-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Elves have resources and gain any resources they like with several efficient techniques, their units on the other hand are more expensive and powerful than their higher populated Human or Orc enemy factions.

Andy Joslin
11-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Also, elves obviously reproduce slowly. If you live forever and reproduce at human speed, you'll quickly win the whole planet. :p

Esculas the Mighty
11-19-2008, 07:20 AM
Also, elves obviously reproduce slowly. If you live forever and reproduce at human speed, you'll quickly win the whole planet. :p

sounds good :D

elves are too nice or just developed the perfect condom

but can u post a elven city please!?!?!

Darvin
11-19-2008, 03:03 PM

Nah, you'll just deplete natural resources at a crazy rate and end up either starving or "correcting" population levels with a catastrophic war.

Esculas the Mighty
11-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Nah, you'll just deplete natural resources at a crazy rate and end up either starving or "correcting" population levels with a catastrophic war.

as long as they're tech grows as fast as the population then they should be fine

The Witch King of Angmar
11-19-2008, 04:58 PM
They still could be subject to wars with each other. You never know.

Darvin
11-19-2008, 05:46 PM
as long as they're tech grows as fast as the population then they should be fine

Show me ANY society whose technology has followed a Fibonacci growth curve. I dare you.

The Witch King of Angmar
11-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Woah Darvin, no need to get all defensive on us. :p Just kidding. Anyway, this topic is on strongholds not civilization technology. If that topic could be implemented into the strongholds/castles that'd be fine such as upgrade ideas. I just don't want to see anyone get virtually beat up or something like that. :D

Puppeteer
11-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Malthusian Crises ftw

cherbui
11-20-2008, 02:24 PM
if the elves are wood folks and their stronghold are deep in the woods cant we just lit the forest on fire and watch them burn ? :D lol no real work needed to defeat the elvans hahaa

Esculas the Mighty
11-20-2008, 04:10 PM
if the elves are wood folks and their stronghold are deep in the woods cant we just lit the forest on fire and watch them burn ? :D lol no real work needed to defeat the elvans hahaa

yea i agree

but their is a thing called magic

Andy Joslin
11-20-2008, 06:00 PM
The elves have huge trees...with huge green leaves. Have you ever tried to burn a live leaf / plant before? The elves have many times more living plants than a normal forest.

Puppeteer
11-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Conversely, as someone said... "magic". Unquenchable fire anyone? :)

Esculas the Mighty
11-21-2008, 04:05 PM
dispell?

inflammable trees xD

impossible-wet-towels :D!

Mrdash
11-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Don't forget when the "ents" have to pee.

Joseph Visscher
11-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Don't forget when the "ents" have to pee.

Lol.

They pee oil; Texas Tea yep...... yeaaa just kiddin.

Yea fire is not going to be much of a weapon in dof, when it comes to burning trees trying to burn through stone/marble walls...

Esculas the Mighty
11-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Lol.

They pee oil; Texas Tea yep...... yeaaa just kiddin.

Yea fire is not going to be much of a weapon in dof, when it comes to burning trees trying to burn through stone/marble walls...

ha all those times every just says ill just burn your forest down this is a major slap in the face to them :D

Mrdash
11-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Hey my face is still unslapped =D