PDA

View Full Version : Gobbos!

ThatguyAds1298
10-05-2011, 02:44 PM
So, Goblins!

I have pvp'd with them a little and was wondering what people though on this matter, The goblins strength is in their numbers, but they dont really last long either way at the moment, i know white disbands loads of them every few hours, So maybe we could give them some use?

I dont think they should be made 'stronger' per say, As it stats, they are supposed to be weak after all, But maybe increase their squad size so they can better take advantage of their best atrribute... Swarming the enemy?

Just want to know what people think, Would be nice to see more goblins used in battle, Cmon...think of the poor gobbos!

'Me shoot you twice!'

Valkyrie
10-05-2011, 03:03 PM
meh just use them as cannon fodder to eat some arrows be4 you big units gets to the front lines. :)

ThatguyAds1298
10-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Id do that, but since archers have unlimited arrows, it kind of doesnt make a difference and they just eat population points :D

Valkyrie
10-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Id do that, but since archers have unlimited arrows, it kind of doesnt make a difference and they just eat population points :D

hmm point taken, they should make so you have to make arrows pre-battle :) convert them from wood with a special building or something. would be pretty neat imo, then goblins would get a purpose in this world!

White935
10-05-2011, 10:54 PM
even if arrows were limited i'd use another unit for fodder. as goblins are weak to archery.

all in all i find goblins completely useless. thought i find most of the orc troops inferior to the other races in term of counterpart. thought i dont mind that i just wish they increased the orc troops numbers. so instead of slayer being 24/24 it would be 30/30 ect. to balance out damage and hp that way.

andreicde
10-05-2011, 10:56 PM
even if arrows were limited i'd use another unit for fodder. as goblins are weak to archery.

all in all i find goblins completely useless. thought i find most of the orc troops inferior to the other races in term of counterpart. thought i dont mind that i just wish they increased the orc troops numbers. so instead of slayer being 24/24 it would be 30/30 ect. to balance out damage and hp that way.

hey,at least it's a free unit :D

ThatguyAds1298
10-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Hehe, Maybe if they did something other then die like help build stuff or something, But at the moment they just crowd the town and die, Even if they do say funny things when you click them :D

Or if they helped put out fires or repair stuff during siege.

White935
10-06-2011, 03:31 AM
either you'd have to buff all units to be "useful" or debuff prices in a manner thar lower tier units are used due to price. or why not produce a pure army of only the best units? i know CR balances this but really, its not that goblins are useless, its more that their taking pop cap that's better used on other units.

personally i wish prices for units went up 3x so that you'd use lower tier units, cus you cant afford a 100% knight army.

sCor
10-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Only way I see them becoming useful is by:
1.) Doubling the amount of goblins per group
2.) Decrease the amount they take up on the unit limit
3.) Allow for a certain number of goblins to be added to each army, even if it has reached the pop cap.

Other option I could see:
1.) You can only produce a limited amount of goblins (say for example 10 groups)
2.) They don't add up to your population cap, thus you can add them to your army without them stealing any spots other units would have used.

I'm currently trying to build up an army consisting only of goblins just to see how well they fight all by themselfs.

Magicmud83
10-07-2011, 12:55 PM
I made a 164 attack, 23 units, level 5 goblin army yesterday to try it out in pvp but sadly all I got was errors and bugs so I wasn't able to fight with them but when you think about it 164 attack is about 8-9 human units and I think even less for elfs. 23 vs 8 even tho weak isn't bad at all for free units imo.

Firetongue
10-07-2011, 01:32 PM
I made a 164 attack, 23 units, level 5 goblin army yesterday to try it out in pvp but sadly all I got was errors and bugs so I wasn't able to fight with them but when you think about it 164 attack is about 8-9 human units and I think even less for elfs. 23 vs 8 even tho weak isn't bad at all for free units imo.

No..... a level 5 human archer is 9 army str. so ur 23 goblins is equal str to about 18 human archers in the same level.

Valkyrie
10-07-2011, 02:13 PM
No..... a level 5 human archer is 9 army str. so ur 23 goblins is equal str to about 18 human archers in the same level.

tho i think it's about 7-9 Mounted knights. so he's not completly wrong

Firetongue
10-07-2011, 02:58 PM
tho i think it's about 7-9 Mounted knights. so he's not completly wrong

I ain't sure u should compare the free units with the highest possible units a human got, rather compare them to a unit in it's own tier, for goblins this should be halberiers, human archers or macemen, and all of these have 8 or 9 in army str at level 5.

Valkyrie
10-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I ain't sure u should compare the free units with the highest possible units a human got, rather compare them to a unit in it's own tier, for goblins this should be halberiers, human archers or macemen, and all of these have 8 or 9 in army str at level 5.
if you are goin' to compare goblins with something of human tier in terms of combat, atleast compare 'em with something close like peasants or horsecarts even :D

D0uble0
10-11-2011, 08:44 AM
I mainly play elves at the moment, but i have begun plying with the other races too to see which I favour the most. At first I wondered what the goblins were good for, but i had an idea which I have not tested yet. Their special skill is to increasingly avoid attack for a brief period of time (can't remember if it's just ranged or melee too) but i was thinking that their use could be to activate their special and charge them through enemy lines to reach the enemys archers etc at the back, thereby causing a disruption to ranged fire or to attack from behind in general. This would take alot of focus off the advancing orc army. I will be testing this out later to see what effect it has. They had to be given that special skill for some reason? (Other than the fact they die too easily:rolleyes: )

Magicus
10-12-2011, 12:29 AM
I like how Snotlings are portrayed in Warhammer.

Defilus
10-12-2011, 10:31 AM
I am going to try to make a town based on Goblins so I am making a swamp Orc town at the moment because of the goblin bonuses to see what happens. :P Imagine having 60 Goblin tents, you could make free Goblin armies like crazy and put em on the world map.

ThatguyAds1298
10-12-2011, 10:33 AM
I am going to try to make a town based on Goblins so I am making a swamp Orc town at the moment because of the goblin bonuses to see what happens. :P Imagine having 60 Goblin tents, you could make free Goblin armies like crazy and put em on the world map.

Haha, I considered doing this to mate. Please let us know how it turns out it would help this discussion i believe to see if those pesky gobbo's are hiding their true power.

Defilus
10-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Haha, I considered doing this to mate. Please let us know how it turns out it would help this discussion i believe to see if those pesky gobbo's are hiding their true power.
Well one thing I have already noticed with them is that their strength value is low, meaning that even having a 90/90 city including workers, warg, etc will probably not come above 300 army strength. This will become very interesting when the town battles are implemented because the Goblins would outnumber any army with a similiar army strength. Maybe this is why the swamp Orcs seem to have the weakest fort of all 3 Orc races. (Lots of palisade areas even with heavy wooden walls build)

Defilus
10-14-2011, 05:40 PM
I've been testing a bit and it's not too bad. The raiders are not bad at all in large numbers but the prowlers are really beast. Very accurate and fire fast. The raiders when grouped up properly can take down even big units in a matter of seconds, like Ogres. The Raiders are also very effective against archers I noticed as long as enough of them stay alive to reach them, which is a problem sometimes. However, with the upcoming nerf to archers those raiders will tear them apart. The swamp Orc bonusses are quite helpful, and pretty much make the Goblins a level stronger than the forest and desert ones. The biggest problem right now are all the out of sync errors because all those Goblins seem to be putting a lot stress on the game during pvp.

Oh and before I forget, the Goblins were lvl 1 while I often got matched against high lvl troops, so if my Goblins were lvled up aswell I believe they are strong enough to be a match for the normal troops.

ThatguyAds1298
10-15-2011, 05:47 PM
I've been testing a bit and it's not too bad. The raiders are not bad at all in large numbers but the prowlers are really beast. Very accurate and fire fast. The raiders when grouped up properly can take down even big units in a matter of seconds, like Ogres. The Raiders are also very effective against archers I noticed as long as enough of them stay alive to reach them, which is a problem sometimes. However, with the upcoming nerf to archers those raiders will tear them apart. The swamp Orc bonusses are quite helpful, and pretty much make the Goblins a level stronger than the forest and desert ones. The biggest problem right now are all the out of sync errors because all those Goblins seem to be putting a lot stress on the game during pvp.

Oh and before I forget, the Goblins were lvl 1 while I often got matched against high lvl troops, so if my Goblins were lvled up aswell I believe they are strong enough to be a match for the normal troops.

Very nice, Well have to see how they fare with the balance changes in the patch today also. Our good ol gobbo's will have their day yet.