PDA

View Full Version : Will this be on steam?

DarthurMom
10-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey I was just wondering amongst all the chaos of the bugs and such in beta and now onto full release, what are the chances of the game being released on steam and can you please give an estimation? Doesn't really need to be an accurate estimation just a looking glass towards the future I guess to plan for it. Thanks :D

Alex Walz
10-04-2011, 11:33 PM
DOF will not be on Steam anytime soon. We may revisit Steam as a possible distributor in the future, however.

Cukulen
10-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Purely out of curiousity, why didn't the devs go with steam as a distributor?

Safey18
10-05-2011, 04:12 AM
They obviously did as the mod just said "revisit" steam so they may have been turned down or just decided it wasn't worth listing on steam.

Henry Martin
10-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Where Dawn of Fantasy is sold is not and was not our choice. Our publisher does all the deals on where the game is sold.

To somewhat answer your question Cukulen, steam like other store/online store has certain requirements before they host/stock your game. I'm not fully aware of what the conditions are myself, but I know for some games, steam is just not the right place.

Lets take Battlefield 3 for instance, there is most going on behind the seen between EA and Valve, but one of the major reason BF3 wasnt on steam is that steam wanted more control over BF3 than EA wanted. Basicly EA wants to release patches/dlc/etc whenever and how ever they wanted, but if they used steam this would be restricted to what steam wanted.

Konstantin Fomenko
10-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Our publisher approached steam - but couldn`t work out some details, so unfortunately this left out of Steam`s library. The only bright side - with the type of game DoF is Steam would have insisted on the full Steam integration.

Novakiller
10-05-2011, 05:41 PM
I always wondered what happened to the steam deal as we all talking about it during the beta's. This doesn't supprise me and may be better off for you guys in the long run anyway because valve and steam seem to be wanting to take over the industry in a way thats very simular to how microsoft and xbox is run, with a heck of a lot of control over products they dont even offically own. For companies like DOF giving so much control over what the developers can do with their own game is just something companies are starting to dispare at the moment, even though new games appear on steam every week, at some point, this will stop as more and more companies dont want to give in to demands that steam want.

andreicde
10-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Steam is good but ANNOYING! I mean seriously the fact you have to run steam every time a game is frustrating.

Novakiller
10-05-2011, 05:47 PM
i find the part where you gotta log into steam to play an offline game is a bit ******ed