PDA

View Full Version : How will civilians work?

MrBlack103
10-18-2008, 02:19 AM
Ok, I was wondering how the civilians/villagers would work in DoF. Would they be manually controlled similarly to AoK, or would they automatically perform tasks that certain buildings designate like in The Settlers III? I prefer the latter because it eliminates pointless clicking which you could be using to manage more important tasks (ie. killing those dumb orcs, preferably with heavy cavalry or boiling oil :p ).

kronlc
10-18-2008, 04:00 AM
Ok, I was wondering how the civilians/villagers would work in DoF. Would they be manually controlled similarly to AoK, or would they automatically perform tasks that certain buildings designate like in The Settlers III? I prefer the latter because it eliminates pointless clicking which you could be using to manage more important tasks (ie. killing those dumb orcs, preferably with heavy cavalry or boiling oil :p ).

Noob, I like to choose where my workers work'' it
makes the game so much more fun.I dont want to
see any of this unit grouping BS like in settlers 3 when your men came
in sets of 5 or was it 6? I wont even talk on it,They had
a good thing going with the way the town works with
teh little mills and bakerys tho. But overall I dont like auto assign '
I like control of everything with my colours on it.

Puppeteer
10-18-2008, 04:35 AM
Would be nice if idle workers were auto-assigned to the nearest duty/top priority task but then also having the option of commanding them at the same time.

nickson104
10-18-2008, 04:47 AM

Ummm just because people have a different playing style doesnt make them noob, if anything your the noob for not being able to accept the different playing style, and you know what he will b concentrating more on the battle so i think he would own you in a battle...

I think auto assign would be a lot of good but not too much, i remember the AoE games where you had to manually assign each civillian and they would end up standing still until you remember about them. I reckon that they should either have professions or look for the closest job that needs doing.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-18-2008, 05:06 AM
Yeah, there should be a balance between auto tasking and AoE 2.

MrBlack103
10-18-2008, 02:39 PM

It's not that I don't like having full control over my units, it's just that I like being able to achieve the same things as any other player, just with as few time-wasting clicks as possible.

For example:

Settlers III - think-click-think-click-think-click
AoK - click-click-click-think-click-click-click-think

kronlc
10-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Ummm just because people have a different playing style doesnt make them noob,

But my dear nickson...thats exactly what makes them noob.

Esculas the Mighty
10-18-2008, 03:19 PM
It's not that I don't like having full control over my units, it's just that I like being able to achieve the same things as any other player, just with as few time-wasting clicks as possible.

For example:

Settlers III - think-click-think-click-think-click
AoK - click-click-click-think-click-click-click-think

im no longer aware of pointless clicking i do most of it half conscious while thinking about the amed forces and possible future economic problems

but thats what happens when you jumping back and for between city-builders and hardcore rts

kronlc
10-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Yeah, there should be a balance between auto tasking and AoE 2.

I like what he sais' its all about balance baby, catering for
all the different styles players out there.I myself would prefer to assign
where my workers work as opposed to auto assign, As it requires
more effort .....its like baking a cake with out a recipe book
and it comes out fabulous...and your like .....I even got the decorative
love hearts perfect.....

THe more to do on the game the better I say, I dont want every players economy being the same because its all auto assigned.....blah...

The Witch King of Angmar
10-18-2008, 05:43 PM

That's not necessarily true either. Some players with a unique playing style have a method to their madness.

kronlc
10-18-2008, 10:24 PM
if anything your the noob for not being able to accept the different playing style, and you know what he will b concentrating more on the battle so i think he would own you in a battle.

Own this <---- LOlOLoLOLoLOlOlrofl lm,ao hahah Rofl

I had suspicions of you been a mongoloid humanoid nickson
but thats concrete right there.
We wills e how noob i am when you are trying to brown nose
me in game witrh words liek Kronic is sire , or ...kronic is liege ..

Heh YEah I thougnt So I Ssaw a noob YEsteraday K
I know noobs ANd I know HWO TO PPLAY A GAME WITH A
NIGHT CAP ON AND stil;l kick ass..

rofl rofl rfol Nickson never learns//

SvN
10-19-2008, 01:52 AM
Own this <---- LOlOLoLOLoLOlOlrofl lm,ao hahah Rofl

I had suspicions of you been a mongoloid humanoid nickson
but thats concrete right there.
We wills e how noob i am when you are trying to brown nose
me in game witrh words liek Kronic is sire , or ...kronic is liege ..

Heh YEah I thougnt So I Ssaw a noob YEsteraday K
I know noobs ANd I know HWO TO PPLAY A GAME WITH A
NIGHT CAP ON AND stil;l kick ass..

rofl rofl rfol Nickson never learns//

ok....?

shall we move back to topic?

Jean=A=Luc
10-19-2008, 03:09 AM
That must've been trolling, no one writes like that by accident, it's as if his caps was going on an' off. Reminds me so much of Sparrow, only annoying instead of funny.

Puppeteer
10-19-2008, 05:03 AM
One day when I'm über bored I'm going to fix his posts for grammar, punctuation and real words.

Lack of empathy = Lack of understanding = Lack of Knowledge = Noob

raving
10-19-2008, 05:12 AM
One day when I'm über bored I'm going to fix his posts for grammar, punctuation and real words.

Lack of empathy = Lack of understanding = Lack of Knowledge = Noob
totaly agree, you dont judge people for playing differently. If he likes to focus on his army's and not his peasents thats his call. Would be nice if they putted an option in where you can choose what you like, automated or manualy.

SvN
10-19-2008, 09:14 AM

I hope villagers and civilians will work and do their tasks by themselves but they would also be able to be manually controlled.

if they're all manually controlled and you have a huge city with many civilians, some of them will be standing still doing nothing while you give orders to the rest of them. so it would be more realistic and the city would look more alive if all civilians did their tasks by themselves.
but still the player should be able to control them if he wants, If they can't be manually controlled the player will have a feeling of handicap.

huh, hard to explain:D

Esculas the Mighty
10-19-2008, 10:30 AM
I hope villagers and civilians will work and do their tasks by themselves but they would also be able to be manually controlled.

if they're all manually controlled and you have a huge city with many civilians, some of them will be standing still doing nothing while you give orders to the rest of them. so it would be more realistic and the city would look more alive if all civilians did their tasks by themselves.
but still the player should be able to control them if he wants, If they can't be manually controlled the player will have a feeling of handicap.

huh, hard to explain:D

i want on and off button

The Witch King of Angmar
10-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I think the rate of them going from tasks to battle when defending a castle is important. I like the off button or there could be some kind of standby feature so that when enemies are close or something needs repaired, they'd fix it and return to their previous task.

kronlc
10-19-2008, 05:21 PM
I think the rate of them going from tasks to battle when defending a castle is important. I like the off button or there could be some kind of standby feature so that when enemies are close or something needs repaired, they'd fix it and return to their previous task.

You could click on the damaged piece of wall or building' and you
would be given a repair option, and upon clicking the closest
jarhead would come to the rescue.

Esculas the Mighty
10-19-2008, 05:32 PM
You could click on the damaged piece of wall or building' and you
would be given a repair option, and upon clicking the closest
jarhead would come to the rescue.

u seem to be pro micro management which i respect

because the games i play require it now i cant live without it

Mrdash
10-19-2008, 10:23 PM
First of all kronlc....you remind me of a character from a book I read once "Marsuvees Black". And if you want to know if thats a complement or the opposite you will have to read it(Showdown)

Second (to get back on topic) I like the idea where they atoumaticly do stuff but you can revert them and stuff. So you set this group to gther food they will continue to find and gather food (I mean moving from spot to spot unlike AoE where they finish mining and go "what do we do now?) until you tell them otherwise.

Esculas the Mighty
10-19-2008, 10:44 PM
First of all kronlc....you remind me of a character from a book I read once "Marsuvees Black". And if you want to know if thats a complement or the opposite you will have to read it(Showdown)

Second (to get back on topic) I like the idea where they atoumaticly do stuff but you can revert them and stuff. So you set this group to gther food they will continue to find and gather food (I mean moving from spot to spot unlike AoE where they finish mining and go "what do we do now?) until you tell them otherwise.

i like that

lol telling the dragons to go get food i dont care how u get it they start hunting elves and humans

cherbui
10-20-2008, 08:35 AM
i would like to see civilans/villagers go on a riot... if you make them work too much ahaha lol :D

The Witch King of Angmar
10-20-2008, 10:38 AM
That'd be fantastic and they'd get rebellion leadership from the leader of a riot. Or you could control a riot and rebel against your kingdom for tyranny! :D

Esculas the Mighty
10-20-2008, 04:00 PM
That'd be fantastic and they'd get rebellion leadership from the leader of a riot. Or you could control a riot and rebel against your kingdom for tyranny! :D

lol just dont make it out of hand like glory of the roman empire when they would complain about not having wheat they would burn down all the wheat farms and proceed to complain about bread

kronlc
10-20-2008, 06:28 PM
That always opens up the question' What does one
do to stop a uprising or punish civilians and panic mongered
serfs....uprising ?

Well in real time when such things happened'
the head trouble makers were either usually sniffed out
and hoisted up over the gates for decorations ...,
Or spent a few years thinking about there actions
in the castle dungeons ... Or hanged ...or quartered into pieces
and hung around the township willy nilly for public observation...
burnt starved beaten and fondled.

I dont think uprisings were to succesfull back when was when.
Serfs would have been hesitant to rise up arms against trained soldiers.

THe point is ok......If there is going to be uprisings in game '
I want the option of gallows, crows nests' and all the other
nasty things you can do to change wicked ones ways.

Esculas the Mighty
10-20-2008, 06:37 PM
That always opens up the question' What does one
do to stop a uprising or punish civilians and panic mongered
serfs....uprising ?

Well in real time when such things happened'
the head trouble makers were either usually sniffed out
and hoisted up over the gates for decorations ...,
Or spent a few years thinking about there actions
in the castle dungeons ... Or hanged ...or quartered into pieces
and hung around the township willy nilly for public observation...
burnt starved beaten and fondled.

THe point is ok......If there is going to be uprisings in game '
I want the option of gallows, crows nests' and all the other
nasty things you can do to change wicked ones ways.

i wish cause in glory it would be 1 ****ed citizen who burns down all the important stuff causing trouble for the whole city

Puppeteer
10-21-2008, 09:52 AM

Oh really?... Well, if you want.

nickson104
10-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Okay, to start with no I will not stoop to his level and insult my own intelligence by making him look bad.

Yes balance between micro and macro and between economy and military must be reached, it would make the game; THE game.
I like to assign citizens myself dont get me wrong, but when you spend the whole of 10 minutes assigning citizens jobs thats when it gets a bit out of hand, the auto assign would be good in some ways but manual is a necessary too.

Rebellions.... im sure we talked about that before :) im all for it but i think it would be rather hard to implement a logical and fair system, as already pointed out some games have tried it but made it go from one complaint to another so you are constantly juggling complaints and always on the brink of rebellion.

And just look at history... a lot of the time the peasants didnt care they were up against trained soldiers (safety in numbers works a lot) British Civil War, Welsh Turnpike Rebellions (cant remember the proper term) and loads of other rebellions have been instigated in the past, most were unsuccessful but some were...

cherbui
10-21-2008, 11:28 AM
auto-rebellion capability would be fun to watch in a battle. i played american conquest and several times i have my own troops rebell against me for lack of food or pay... but i quickly put them to rest. well i was thinking .. what about spies ? i mean spies can causing uproars in time of war?...lol it would be funny to start a war , send spies in, screw other player's momentum with a rebellion.. a win win situation haha :eek:

Esculas the Mighty
10-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Okay, to start with no I will not stoop to his level and insult my own intelligence by making him look bad.

Yes balance between micro and macro and between economy and military must be reached, it would make the game; THE game.
I like to assign citizens myself dont get me wrong, but when you spend the whole of 10 minutes assigning citizens jobs thats when it gets a bit out of hand, the auto assign would be good in some ways but manual is a necessary too.

Rebellions.... im sure we talked about that before :) im all for it but i think it would be rather hard to implement a logical and fair system, as already pointed out some games have tried it but made it go from one complaint to another so you are constantly juggling complaints and always on the brink of rebellion.

And just look at history... a lot of the time the peasants didnt care they were up against trained soldiers (safety in numbers works a lot) British Civil War, Welsh Turnpike Rebellions (cant remember the proper term) and loads of other rebellions have been instigated in the past, most were unsuccessful but some were...

about the rebellions if the peasants are the soldiers why would they fight there own people something id never be able to do

kronlc
10-27-2008, 10:43 PM
rebellion is a stupid idea plain and simple.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-28-2008, 06:52 AM
about the rebellions if the peasants are the soldiers why would they fight there own people something id never be able to do

Peasants aren't the soldiers, they can be trained to become soldiers I think. Peasants are like townsfolk that really aren't in active battle that stay behind and are like farmers or something like that. Soldiers could rebel if they wanted to, and no kronic, rebellion isn't a stupid idea, you just don't have the brain cells to process how it would even work therefore concluding that it's stupid. If you can't make decent comments, don't give any at all.

Puppeteer
10-28-2008, 07:02 AM
Soldiers could rebel if they wanted to
Eg. the first Russian Revolution

Mrdash
10-28-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't think it's a stupid idea, they would just have to do it really well for it to work and ..well..work good.

Esculas the Mighty
10-28-2008, 03:55 PM
rebellion is necessary when a nation isnt running like its citizens would like it too

if the United States keep going down the path they are now stuff similar to rebellions may happen

nickson104
10-29-2008, 06:26 AM
rebellion is necessary when a nation isnt running like its citizens would like it too

if the United States keep going down the path they are now stuff similar to rebellions may happen

And everyone but the majority of the USA could have predicted it...

The Witch King of Angmar
10-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Back on topic, I wonder if you will get upgrades for the peasants to make them work more efficiently? Like on AoE2, there were carts for the farmers or better axes for wood cutters. I'd love to see that kind of thing especially for defense like light armor or something to make attacking a castle a little bit more dangerous.

Esculas the Mighty
10-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Back on topic, I wonder if you will get upgrades for the peasants to make them work more efficiently? Like on AoE2, there were carts for the farmers or better axes for wood cutters. I'd love to see that kind of thing especially for defense like light armor or something to make attacking a castle a little bit more dangerous.

id like to see the difference too if i research two-man saws i wanna see to ai's get together and saw a tree down

kronlc
10-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Peasants aren't the soldiers, they can be trained to become soldiers I think. Peasants are like townsfolk that really aren't in active battle that stay behind and are like farmers or something like that. Soldiers could rebel if they wanted to, and no kronic, rebellion isn't a stupid idea, you just don't have the brain cells to process how it would even work therefore concluding that it's stupid. If you can't make decent comments, don't give any at all.

Hold your tounge cully' yes I do have a good idea how
a rebellion could work, yes....A bunch of serfs rising up and destroying
my produce and buildings......sounds straight foward enougth' pretty crap if you ask me....but I suppose stupid ideas and equally unimaginatived people share the same pot quite nicely.
Mr moderator ,so crap indeed I wager that you will see
usable jakes before your rebellion is implemented.
good day

Esculas the Mighty
10-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Hold your tounge cully' yes I do have a good idea how
a rebellion could work, yes....A bunch of serfs rising up and destroying
my produce and buildings......sounds straight foward enougth' pretty crap if you ask me....but I suppose stupid ideas and equally unimaginatived people share the same pot quite nicely.
Mr moderator ,so crap indeed I wager that you will see
usable jakes before your rebellion is implemented.
good day

hmm

ur missing the point of each other

kronic is talking about a game and his citizens being gay and destroying his produce while hes already getting owned by me outside his walls ( i kid i kid )

WE are talking about real life rebellions

The Witch King of Angmar
10-30-2008, 04:59 AM
I can see he still hasn't smartened up and actually read previous posts before he does. :(

kronlc
10-30-2008, 03:55 PM
hmm

WE are talking about real life rebellions

But Escalus....

Thats boring.

Puppeteer
10-31-2008, 06:32 AM
You're boring. Try and write something intelligent, for once.

nickson104
11-03-2008, 10:01 AM

hear hear, i support that statement 100% :)

SvN
11-03-2008, 11:21 AM

funny how a moderator insults a member like that

The Witch King of Angmar
11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
It's not insulting, it's the truth. We've told him multiple times to post more intelligent things.

Esculas the Mighty
11-03-2008, 06:21 PM
i think thats his personality =\ its not like he's horribly spaming so its ignorable if you dislike it

i wonder if the civilians can run xD if you double click or something along those lines

Andy Joslin
11-03-2008, 06:24 PM
i wonder if the civilians can run xD if you double click or something along those lines
Civilians can run.

Also, you hit the running mechanic right on; it's double click. ;)

The Witch King of Angmar
11-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Do they only get so much time to run before they get tired or what?

Thanks

Andy Joslin
11-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Units have stamina bars, varying depending on the unit. Running drains stamina and abilities cost certain amounts. Stamina only regenerates while a unit stands still, and walking leaves the unit's stamina at whatever level it was before it started walking until the unit stops or runs again.

Hmm, I'd better stop saying stuff...

Darvin
11-03-2008, 08:18 PM
No stamina regen for moving units sounds a little harsh, but I'm sure we'll visit that in the beta and see how it pans out.

Thanks for the info, Andy. Appreciated as always :-)

The Witch King of Angmar
11-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Woohoo! I got him to reveal game secrets to us. :p Thanks for the information.

Puppeteer
11-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Sweet work WitchKing! More information! Huzah!
i think thats his personality =\ its not like he's horribly spaming so its ignorable if you dislike i
You can't have a personality trait being to write in dysfunctional-enjambment, sporadic capital letters and atrocious spelling. Plus half the time making no sense. And ignorable? What's this? Is that "ignoble" or "ignorant"? Either way it's neither. Besides, it was only for sport.

Esculas the Mighty
11-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Sweet work WitchKing! More information! Huzah!

You can't have a personality trait being to write in dysfunctional-enjambment, sporadic capital letters and atrocious spelling. Plus half the time making no sense. And ignorable? What's this? Is that "ignoble" or "ignorant"? Either way it's neither. Besides, it was only for sport.

are you a perfectionist or a English major O:!

also i think you know what i meant

its possible to just ignore his posts

lol witchking you gotta give me some credit i brought the whole running thing up =P

MrBlack103
11-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Well, the "stamina" is, IMO, a very good system. It would bring in how tired/worn out your army is as another strategic aspect. How about you work something in so that if you send your tired soldier to a house, tent etc. he has his stamina recharged much more quickly?

Esculas the Mighty
11-04-2008, 06:36 PM
do tired men move slower?

this interests me due to easy pickings for my archers.

raving
11-05-2008, 05:08 AM
for some reasing i get the picture in my head of a huge tree running towards a wall .... looks funneh :D

The Witch King of Angmar
11-05-2008, 06:54 AM
That's a good point Esculas. I could see how if someone is trying to chase calvalry or something stupid like that could come in handy. Also, it makes horses in general alot more powerful.

Mrdash
11-05-2008, 12:32 PM
lol witchking you gotta give me some credit i brought the whole running thing up =P

Kudos for you man.

And how dare you take the fame Witch King. =D

Andy Joslin
11-05-2008, 12:35 PM
do tired men move slower?
Not at the moment, but the specifics of the stamina system will most likely undergo changes during beta.

cherbui
11-05-2008, 02:40 PM
two odd question ;)

okie if i were to play orcs , do i have civilian orcs ? :p i mean just a thought

and if i dont... wouldnt it mean human or elvans have lessor troops if they have to make civilians/farmers while the orcs just go on rampaging for resources?

nickson104
11-05-2008, 05:00 PM
two odd question ;)

okie if i were to play orcs , do i have civilian orcs ? :p i mean just a thought

and if i dont... wouldnt it mean human or elvans have lessor troops if they have to make civilians/farmers while the orcs just go on rampaging for resources?

All races will have civillians as far as i know, and i cant remember if the civillians take pop cap or whatever system will be used :p

Well done witchking you got something outta the devs :)

The tired = slow idea would be a good thing to implement, fatigued cavalry being chased down by spearmen they would normally outrun or infantry slowly retreating from ceaseless volleys of arrows from archers but being too slow to get away... As said, it would add a lot of strategic value and would help make the game more realistic and bulk out games with needs for sieges and such to regain stamina

Esculas the Mighty
11-05-2008, 05:21 PM
All races will have civillians as far as i know, and i cant remember if the civillians take pop cap or whatever system will be used :p

Well done witchking you got something outta the devs :)

The tired = slow idea would be a good thing to implement, fatigued cavalry being chased down by spearmen they would normally outrun or infantry slowly retreating from ceaseless volleys of arrows from archers but being too slow to get away... As said, it would add a lot of strategic value and would help make the game more realistic and bulk out games with needs for sieges and such to regain stamina

basically the point is the more the realistic commanding your military is the less u care about the population cap. for me at least id prefer quality over quantity

but i dont want it like total war some fantasy/unrealistic elements will make the game fun to play

also the tired units moving slower would up the level of epic in this game by 3 fold .so many things come into play and must be thought about before you make your click

MrBlack103
11-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Yes, Let us demand as much strategic aspects as possible in this game! Me want a well-organised force of 100 guys to be able to take out a rabble of 1000!:D

Puppeteer
11-06-2008, 09:13 AM
I want one guy to take out 1000... oh wait, that's bfme. My bad.

nickson104
11-06-2008, 02:05 PM
I want one guy to take out 1000... oh wait, that's bfme. My bad.

LoL :/ custom heros :( :p make it possible so that like the film 300 could actually withstand thousands because of superior battle tactics and skill

MrBlack103
11-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Never seen 300, and I hear it's a really cool film:mad: . Anyways, 1 guy taking out 1000 IMO is (as cool as it would be:cool: ) ridiculous. However, taking out about 50 of them before he is overwhelmed would prove a really cool and epic scene (like Boromir's death in FotR).

Esculas the Mighty
11-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Never seen 300, and I hear it's a really cool film:mad: . Anyways, 1 guy taking out 1000 IMO is (as cool as it would be:cool: ) ridiculous. However, taking out about 50 of them before he is overwhelmed would prove a really cool and epic scene (like Boromir's death in FotR).

it would only be cool if he had 1000 different animations to kill

MrBlack103
11-06-2008, 05:40 PM
it would only be cool if he had 1000 different animations to kill

Point taken. And that brings up another question - How many different animations of one action (eg attacking) can we expect for a single unit?

nickson104
11-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Point taken. And that brings up another question - How many different animations of one action (eg attacking) can we expect for a single unit?

hopefully quite a few :)