PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions before I purchase

bkt86
10-02-2011, 03:09 PM
My main question is about the pvp aspect of the game. I tend to play alot of games at work, I do tech support and have anywhere from 5-40mins between being able to play and having to jump up from the pc. So do I constantly run the risk of pvp and constant rebuilding all the time or is there some way around this for when I dont have 30mins or so to designate to a real fight?

SurfNinja
10-02-2011, 03:17 PM
you should be fine
if you log out, no pvp action will occur
by default, it goes to pay off

similar situation to me.

buy it. the one main reason I like this RTS game over others is that if i'm asleep i cannot lose my city and all the work I put into it

bkt86
10-02-2011, 03:20 PM
So no real penalty for being attacked and loggin out? Will they still get to trash everything I have built? I really wanna play, but I know its one of those things im going to not have the self control to not play at work during the down time lol.

woody8917
10-02-2011, 03:41 PM
So no real penalty for being attacked and loggin out? Will they still get to trash everything I have built? I really wanna play, but I know its one of those things im going to not have the self control to not play at work during the down time lol.

when you log out of your city its like your city dosent exist to other players so you cant be attacked.
If you log off in a middle of a fight you just pay the attacker tribute and thats that. And even if your city is burning, cause of a attack, you just have to repair the buildings then back to normal.

SurfNinja
10-02-2011, 03:49 PM
so if you log out, no worries there

if you are logged in, you can be attacked every 30 minutes
by default, the system goes to pay off the enemy, which means you do not have to fight

that is if you have an army that is wondering around
if you keep it all in your city, no issue

I really think you will not have an issue, i compare the PVP to other games and this is a breeze in the park. you can adapt your play style

bkt86
10-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Just checking if my army isnt "out and about" I dont really run much risk?

Konstantin Fomenko
10-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Keep in mind that Army vs Town PvP will be enabled with-in a week, so your town will not longer be a safe place.

And the pay-out penalty for refusing PvP is not that small either - you will have to tribute resources, livestock, units, even Influence.

However - the great rewards of winning, and even loosing PvP match do make up for seeing your town burn or your army eliminated.

SurfNinja
10-02-2011, 04:07 PM
so the PVP v army timer is 30 minutes i like that
is it going to be same for city, or a longer period of time

I'm thinking it needs to be longer

SurfNinja
10-02-2011, 04:09 PM
one other thing about city siege.
can you have like 10 minutes to recall your army that is out and about back to your city

otherwise if you get hit at the wrong time, it will be painful

bkt86
10-02-2011, 04:26 PM
So you get rewards for losing a fight too?

Konstantin Fomenko
10-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Army and Town timer is the same, so basically once in 30 minutes either one will become a target.

And no - it`s impossible to recall an army, you should have some units to protect your town, or army garrisoned in your town. However - with-in 2.5 weeks we`ll introduce Alliance into the game, and other player armies will be able to come to your aid.

So you get rewards for losing a fight too?
Yeah, you get 50%-75% of Influence the Winning side gets if you fight till the end. You get 25% of influence winning side gets if you Surrender in the middle of battle.

SurfNinja
10-02-2011, 04:40 PM
umm...
makes me nervous that in 1 week my city can be attacked
but takes 2 more weeks before an ally can defend me ? you sure about logistics on this?

in PVP action, there needs to be an option for players to declare a draw
otherwise it can drag out far too long.

Sephriem
10-02-2011, 05:44 PM
umm...
makes me nervous that in 1 week my city can be attacked
but takes 2 more weeks before an ally can defend me ? you sure about logistics on this?

in PVP action, there needs to be an option for players to declare a draw
otherwise it can drag out far too long.

They mean they will add the alliance feature to the game in 2.5 weeks. I'm sure when it's added, and you get attacked, your ally will be able to help you if they are near.

SurfNinja
10-02-2011, 05:51 PM
so what happens between when they add the feature for PVP versus city in the next week
you on your own?

seems like a gap in game development to me

in 2 weeks, you can get an ally to help you? but between now and when they release alliance, you are on your own?

Sephriem
10-02-2011, 05:57 PM
so what happens between when they add the feature for PVP versus city in the next week
you on your own?

seems like a gap in game development to me

in 2 weeks, you can get an ally to help you? but between now and when they release alliance, you are on your own?

Everyone is on their own, not just you.

SurfNinja
10-02-2011, 06:01 PM
but I got a group of friends playing already.

we want to ally up

the humans will win over elves, when can we start working together?

Xira666
10-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Everyone is on their own, not just you.

That makes it oh so much better....

/sarcasm

Novakiller
10-02-2011, 10:48 PM
thats unbelievable konst. in a bad way, to refuse a pvp town attack in cost of basicly your entire castle except the walls, is damn right insane.... you well need to lower that penalty, fking rediculas.

If this game is seriously going to be that insane for PVP only game, then this simply isn't the game for me obviously and wish i could get the money i spent on my pre order back, you guys never stated this much pvp was involved in any of the system chats while the beta was going on. You made it sound like pvp was an OPTIONAL choice. Which quite obviously, it isnt.

Pyra
10-03-2011, 12:59 AM
I agree, nowhere in the material I looked at before I bought this game was mention made of it being a hardcore high-risk pvp game like EVE.

Jarno Montonen
10-03-2011, 03:20 AM
With flourishing economy you should be able to pay off all of the attacks to your home city (and even armies) if you so wish. So that's kind of the non pvp strategy you can choose. I don't know where you got the impression that the cost of paying off a home city attack would take everything except the walls? That definately shouldn't be the case. The pay off algorith goes first for your resources (excluding wealth) and then for your units and the cost is based on the strength of the attacker. And if you don't really build a military force at all, you won't get attacked by high strength armies.

What comes to alliances coming in later than homecity pvp, because of the way this works I don't see a problem there?

Hope this helps! :)

Novakiller
10-03-2011, 10:17 AM
konst mentioned that you would loose recources, units, and influence points if you opted out, THAT IS EVERYTHING but the walls in your hometown. Saying that paying off is kind of the non pvp aspect is wrong because you are being forced to do that no matter which way you look at it, you ARE going to loose something because of pvp. Being a 7yr VET of eve-online its VERY important not forcing people tp pvp in any way shape or form for the pve aspects you have, the pvp should be a bit more restrictive, or not loose so much stuff if you descide you dont want to take part in the pvp aspects of the game, im telling you right now, a few people wont even buy this game when they find out there is no way to avoid pvp in this game, especially in the RTS genre where economy is so important. Its almost becomming a PVP only game just look at the system chats already.

Konstantin Fomenko
10-03-2011, 10:20 AM
To confirm - the cost of paying off attackers is really not that high. You don`t have to play a single PvP and instead just pay the attackers off. For example 600 gold is average price to pay off for a medium-sized town.

Also - while you can be attacked once per half hour, chances are it wouldn`t be as often - as there are always more targets around.

With alliances - we are also introducing a 6 player PvP games as well. But this doesn`t mean you can just call 5 of your allies to help you defend your town against a week attacking army. Team PvP is also auto-balanced in PvP. So if you decide to bring your allies to help you defend your army, attacking side will be matched accordingly.

Novakiller
10-03-2011, 10:32 AM
yeah the alliance thing is fking sweet, i love that! and been waiting for that for a while since you guys even started talking the possiblities and what it'll involved n sutff, im tlaking about the little man thats force to give up stuff if they opted out of pvp. Just yesterday i was on my way to a quest for example and i got called on 2 pvp fights where i lost stone gold and some units which ended up screwing me over for my quest so i had to go all the way back to my hometown AGAIN just to replace what i had lost and hope to god that i wouldn't get pvp'd again on my way to the quest area. This makes doing the quests tiresome, and time consuming. I would have lost even more if i ACTUALLY entered the pvp fights.

Either way, costing influence points for ANY kind of pvp for option out of home town pvp is not on im affraid, not even fair, should NEVER cost you those are their so important and almost the sole reason for doing pvp in the first to gain them.