PDA

View Full Version : Alliances

SPARROW94
07-07-2007, 02:53 PM
when your playing in an online match and while your teching up your castle you should make strategic choices for your empire. like who should i join with that is good in my situiation.or you clearly dont like who your partnered with.

Darvin
07-07-2007, 04:57 PM
I think we have to distinguish between skirmish and the MMO game explicitly in all such threads as these. Naturally a certain degree of politics would add to the MMO experience, but in a skirmish match most people like alliances to be locked at the start of the game. It's not that you never want in-game alliance formings and breakings, it's that you usually want to know who is your enemy and who isn't.

With that said, I've found in the past that too often you'll get opportunists jumping teams. In theory, in most games only one player needs to lose if everyone else joins the same team. That kind of defeats the point of the game, seeing as everyone knows what the outcome of such a gangbeating will be.

SPARROW94
07-07-2007, 06:52 PM
I think we have to distinguish between skirmish and the MMO game explicitly in all such threads as these. Naturally a certain degree of politics would add to the MMO experience, but in a skirmish match most people like alliances to be locked at the start of the game. It's not that you never want in-game alliance formings and breakings, it's that you usually want to know who is your enemy and who isn't.

With that said, I've found in the past that too often you'll get opportunists jumping teams. In theory, in most games only one player needs to lose if everyone else joins the same team. That kind of defeats the point of the game, seeing as everyone knows what the outcome of such a gangbeating will be.

In skirmish it would make more sense to have the host to choose if there were to be an Alliance mode with that said there would be disadvantages and advantages.

And to add more detail to what i mean it wont be like Halo2 were you just switch just like that. Its more like sending them a request for them to join you.

And for the gangbeating thing, If you know the people you are up agaist will just team up and beat you bring some friends to back you up.

The Witch King of Angmar
07-07-2007, 07:36 PM
In skirmish it would make more sense to have the host to choose if there were to be an Alliance mode with that said there would be disadvantages and advantages.

And to add more detail to what i mean it wont be like Halo2 were you just switch just like that. Its more like sending them a request for them to join you.

And for the gangbeating thing, If you know the people you are up agaist will just team up and beat you bring some friends to back you up.

Could you bring friends into the game? I really don't understand the alliances. Is it with other players in the game? And if so that defeats the purpose of 2vs2 or 3vs3 matches. Can someone please explain them to me?

Thanks

SPARROW94
07-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Could you bring friends into the game? I really don't understand the alliances. Is it with other players in the game? And if so that defeats the purpose of 2vs2 or 3vs3 matches. Can someone please explain them to me?

Thanks

Well on the xbox360 you have a friends list wich you can send game invites and private chat invite. and what i mean by alliances is that in game play you can team with some one or betray some one.and yes it does defeat the purpose of 2v2 and 3v3 but there can be ups and downs to this mode. hope i made it clearer:)

The Witch King of Angmar
07-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Well on the xbox360 you have a friends list wich you can send game invites and private chat invite. and what i mean by alliances is that in game play you can team with some one or betray some one.and yes it does defeat the purpose of 2v2 and 3v3 but there can be ups and downs to this mode. hope i made it clearer:)

Thanks so for instance can 1 map hold up to like 8 players and it could be free for all or 2vs2vs2vs2? And one more thing, can you break alliances?

Thanks

Irish_PXzyan
07-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Well...in most RTS games you can have a max of 8 teams..either 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 or 2v2v2v2 or 4v4. Like..if you played empire earth 2..you had an option to allow alliances to be broken or you cannot change teams. Giving players the options is better than just sticking with one rule! all alliances must be kept! its to boring that way!

But dont forget..games can be ruined because someone thinks it would be kool to break the alliance and go with the others...because then it could end up being 5V3. Its pointless...if your going to be on someones team..you should stick by that! Why would you want to break the alliance in the first place?? is it because your team is looseing and you dont want to loose?? if so..deal with it..and grow up!;)

Ryan Zelazny
07-09-2007, 06:08 PM
This hasn't been set in stone, however I think we should probably include it so you could set rules when creating the skirmish, if you want alliances to be able to be broken or not.

jap88
07-10-2007, 08:56 AM
That is generally the best way to go and also the most common.

The Witch King of Angmar
07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Well...in most RTS games you can have a max of 8 teams..either 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 or 2v2v2v2 or 4v4. Like..if you played empire earth 2..you had an option to allow alliances to be broken or you cannot change teams. Giving players the options is better than just sticking with one rule! all alliances must be kept! its to boring that way!

But dont forget..games can be ruined because someone thinks it would be kool to break the alliance and go with the others...because then it could end up being 5V3. Its pointless...if your going to be on someones team..you should stick by that! Why would you want to break the alliance in the first place?? is it because your team is looseing and you dont want to loose?? if so..deal with it..and grow up!;)

What I'm saying is if your partner is a jerk, you should be able to leave them. It would also give the game a more intersesting feel. I think the real issue is you don't want your team mates to quit on you. If so...deal with it...and quit whining!;)

jap88
07-10-2007, 08:31 PM
Read through it again, i just wanted to point out that in order to change teams the other team would have to accept you as an ally, i've also found if you're losing that won't happen often because they'd rather crush you and take your resources. Personally i rarely find open diplomacy to be a problem.

Irish_PXzyan
07-10-2007, 08:57 PM
I always prefer to play games fairly! for me and others. Its true tho..if you do have a jerk..it might be best to leave the team! but whos a jerk when playing a game anyway? ive never had any problems with people online..I always bond with the fellows I team up with! :rolleyes:

jap88
07-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Reminds me of a time in Rise of Nations 4v4...all my allies started calling me a noob and turned on me...they just happened to forget i had missile shield and they didn't. I wound up winning that game by myself :p Anyway, yeah i generally don't have problems with teammates and the mere fact that the other team probably won't accept the traitor as an ally anyway will discourage changing teams late game.

Sharku
07-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Reminds me of a time in Rise of Nations 4v4...all my allies started calling me a noob and turned on me...they just happened to forget i had missile shield and they didn't. I wound up winning that game by myself :p Anyway, yeah i generally don't have problems with teammates and the mere fact that the other team probably won't accept the traitor as an ally anyway will discourage changing teams late game.Seeing this in DoF will be interesting. Like you have complete access to the sea or control vast stretches of forests or mineral rich mountains, you can just bribe your allies to stay on your team if they feel the need to switch over.

jap88
07-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Unless, of course, you're losing in which you have nothing to bribe with. But yeah... :p

The Witch King of Angmar
07-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Seeing this in DoF will be interesting. Like you have complete access to the sea or control vast stretches of forests or mineral rich mountains, you can just bribe your allies to stay on your team if they feel the need to switch over.

Yeah that is another good component of the game.

ShadowyMoon
10-01-2007, 05:04 AM
Well diplomacy in skirmish seems somewhat settled now but what about it in the MMO part of the game?

jap88
10-01-2007, 03:44 PM
I'd assume in the MMO aspect diplomacy would play a much larger role than in a skirmish game where teams tend to always stay the same. Diplomacy will directly impact how you'd play the game, unlike in skirmish mode where it lost to the sands.

ShadowyMoon
10-01-2007, 04:36 PM
That would be a good aproach if Reverie do it that way. Perhaps you could form an empire with your mates or something?

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 02:30 PM
That would be a good aproach if Reverie do it that way. Perhaps you could form an empire with your mates or something?

Yeah, it would be cool because maybe you could enter like a tournament to see which kingdom is best. It kind of reminds me of a clan.

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 05:20 PM
a clan system with cross-networking....DA BOMB

ShadowyMoon
10-02-2007, 06:06 PM
About cross networking it all depends on how well are the Xbox controls and if they give an unfair advantage somehow. (Too well made if you catch my drift)

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 06:58 PM
lol i would play on my pc instead if it was cross-networking...if it has windows live so i can recover my xbox live account

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 07:04 PM
lol i would play on my pc instead if it was cross-networking...if it has windows live so i can recover my xbox live account

Yeah I'd prefer the PC.

jap88
10-02-2007, 07:05 PM
I'd probably get it for the 360 actually just for something new.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 07:07 PM
I'd probably get it for the 360 actually just for something new.

Too complicated for me.

ShadowyMoon
10-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Never liked consoles and their interface.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Never liked consoles and their interface.

Same PC all the way. I do like the Wii though.

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 07:12 PM
i play with my brother wii and i dont like playing with anybodys wiis now

Puppeteer
10-03-2007, 01:16 PM
PC ftw!
Breaking alliances would get annoying... that is, if it happened to you! If you did it to someone else, well, let's just say the game would be a lil' more interesting.

SPARROW94
10-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Xbox360 FTW, Halo3 FTW
Yes some times it would be annoying, maybe if you sign up for breaking an allience and an AI would choose if its the right time to break or join alliances...or theres a time limit to join or break one allaince

The Witch King of Angmar
10-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Xbox360 FTW, Halo3 FTW
Yes some times it would be annoying, maybe if you sign up for breaking an allience and an AI would choose if its the right time to break or join alliances...or theres a time limit to join or break one allaince

Yeah you should have like 20 minutes before you can break an alliance.

ShadowyMoon
10-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Good idea Witch King. Would prevent people from switching teams constantly and other stuff like that.

SPARROW94
10-03-2007, 05:57 PM
umm how come TWOA get the credit when it was my idea?

ShadowyMoon
10-03-2007, 06:04 PM
I couldn't read your properly. Bad spelling and grammar gives me headaches :p

SPARROW94
10-03-2007, 06:11 PM
and i thought you were my friend

The Witch King of Angmar
10-03-2007, 06:16 PM
and i thought you were my friend

I am. I was expanding on it.

SPARROW94
10-03-2007, 07:11 PM
lol dude your right

Puppeteer
10-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Alliances ftw!
it would be awesome, though I agree a timer should be added

SPARROW94
10-04-2007, 03:10 PM
LOL now people dont i come up with the best ideas

The Witch King of Angmar
10-04-2007, 05:13 PM
LOL now people dont i come up with the best ideas

The best spam but not always the best ideas.

ShadowyMoon
10-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Haha nicely put.

SPARROW94
10-04-2007, 06:06 PM
why is it always SPAM with you guys....im an real boy

Puppeteer
10-06-2007, 01:46 PM
No you don't. spamboy

The Witch King of Angmar
10-06-2007, 02:39 PM
why is it always SPAM with you guys....im an real boy

When he posts spam his nose grows. :D

Tbeaz161
04-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Do you think it will matter what race your allaince is with. I doubt humans and orcs like each other much maybe if they were allianced one of you troops would randomly get in a fight. Do you think you could have soldeirs go rogue?

The Witch King of Angmar
04-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't they will go that in depth but you never know.

LordSlayer
04-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Do you think you could have soldeirs go rogue?

That would lead to some problems when playing tournements :mad:

Axal01
04-19-2008, 07:34 AM

I see your points, but Im fully against the "Locked teams" because what if its a 3v3 and something happens to one of your team partners? like a power outage or something bad happened or a lost connection? then it leaves it a 3v2 and what if your last team partner just ends up quiting? your stuck 3v1 then its a waste of a game. So I think locked teams is a no go on my view.

Because basically if its a 3v3 and 2 from the other team leave, the players can decide whether to do a 2v2 or keep doing a 3v1.

LordSlayer
04-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Locked teams killed W3, and if they enforce them here, well they might as well not let you see who your're playing with for all it matters then.