PDA

View Full Version : Economy Market

cherbui
09-17-2008, 09:27 AM
:) i was wondering if this had been brought up yet, but will there be an economy market play to buy sell resources to other players ? :) or even loan troops hehe

nickson104
09-17-2008, 09:32 AM
:) i was wondering if this had been brought up yet, but will there be an economy market play to buy sell resources to other players ? :) or even loan troops hehe

loan... with interest i presume? :) merc'ing ftw :) lol just make a large force and merc it out lol

fyro11
09-17-2008, 10:32 AM
What if the loan isn't repaid? I suppose there will be loan sharks as well :P

Darvin
09-17-2008, 10:50 AM
I'd like to give two quotes from Civilization IV:

"Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies"

and

"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe"

The winner of any war is, inevitably, the one who sold the belligerents their weapons.

Puppeteer
09-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I hate money. Thought I'd let you know that.

Darvin
09-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Money is extraordinarily difficult to represent in game terms. If you look at most MMO's, they run into the fundamental problem that all resources are effectively infinite; you can "extract" items indefinitely because the monsters that drop them respawn indefinitely. This usually leads to hyper-inflation. Conversely, have only a finite amount of a resource available and it becomes priceless.

Look at Diablo II. Money is worthless there; offer currency in a trade and you'll get laughed at. Everything is bartered as a result. Take a look at Guild Wars; when they finally got around to adding good items to merchants, money was so devalued that players were still buying merchant stock until the price literally hit the hard-coded maximum. Alternately, look at the rune system in Diablo II. While you can find a "legit" high rune on any store, none of them are legit; over 99.99% of all runes are dupes that will poof into smoke if detected by anti-cheat devices. Legit high runes are literally priceless. Their value is so great that no one who owns one would sell it or trade it. Diablo II has both ends of the problem; one of its currencies is literally invaluable (and only available at all because people cheat), the other so common that it literally holds no value.

Esculas the Mighty
09-17-2008, 04:51 PM

im hopeing so being able to do simple stuff like that can triple the games enjoyment

Joseph Visscher
09-20-2008, 08:35 PM
All factions will have their own ways to exchange resources for other resources. The men's Market is one of them.
No Comment on buying or selling resources to other real human players.

Mrdash
09-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Ooooohhhh no comment. =D

More secrets eh?

Darvin
09-21-2008, 04:46 PM
There are three possibilities:
A) they already have implemented it
B) they plan to implement it
C) they do not plan to implement it

In any of those three cases, "no comment" is a highly appropriate response to this thread. The only real purpose it serves is to ensure his earlier comment on resource exchange is not misconstrued as something on inter-player market interactions.

Mrdash
09-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Or...its another of their marketing things. =-D lol

fyro11
09-22-2008, 08:59 AM
If the first suggestion is true, then the "no comment" is to surprise us upon the actual release.
If the second is true, then the "no comment" is so that if it is feasible, only then will they do it. The "no comment" gives them a way out.
The last suggestion is the least likely, but not altogether worth ruling out. The reason why I say is it's unlikely is because they would've been plain and honest if they weren't including it. No reason for the "no comment". "No comment" only gives some hope. The above thoughts are only mine and not to be understood as those of Reverie's.

Darvin
09-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Actually, no comment for the last one is equally likely.

Strategically, admitting your game lacks something isn't good marketing practice. Instead, what you do is release the full list of game features at a later date. The fact that this feature was omitted will become apparent, but the focus of the news then isn't on what was missing or cut, but what actually made it. Focusing on the positives is critical to marketing.

No one ever sold a product by admitting they lacked a feature.

Onebadterran
09-22-2008, 07:17 PM
It sounds like you are asking for a basic version of what Rise of Nations: Thrones and Patriots uses. Whenever a resource is sold at the market you get gold for it and the price of the resource drops due to surplus but when the resource is bought the price increases due to deficit. You cannot trade units in that game. Only in real life has there ever been loaning of armies or navies but it would be rather difficult and unnecessary unless you could declare yourself a traveling mercenary looking for the highest price (backstabbing at last second because the defender offered a higher price and upfront :rolleyes: for example).

There could either be a finate amount of resources or a cap on price but this does allow for some trading. If you need gold and have a surplus of a resource then you can quickly sell it and buy what you need or just keep the gold for yourself at a later time (pay for your army or more buildings, etc.). Doing that would open up a large amount of possibilities, including limited but replenishing resources (gold/silver veins in moutains, copper veins, forests, water (only in hot areas, such as a desert), stone, dirt (early chinese walls, quite effective) etc.). In reality most of this is not replenishable but hey, this is VIRTUAL reality.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Yeah, you show what is wrong with the game and then fix it later with patches. :D

fyro11
09-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Actually, no comment for the last one is equally likely.

Strategically, admitting your game lacks something isn't good marketing practice. Instead, what you do is release the full list of game features at a later date. The fact that this feature was omitted will become apparent, but the focus of the news then isn't on what was missing or cut, but what actually made it. Focusing on the positives is critical to marketing.

No one ever sold a product by admitting they lacked a feature.
You're right, however I think Reverie has been a tad bit more honest in what will or what won't be included. If Reverie wanted to say "no comment" then why embolden those words? No reason to publicise that our position is officially "No Comment". Though I do catch your drift and you could be right. Time will tell, I suppose.

nickson104
09-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Ooooohhhh no comment. =D

More secrets eh?

secrets and lies my friend, secrets and lies...