PDA

View Full Version : Okies, seriously..

Liljagare
08-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I am not too sure who's brilliant idea it was to approach the market the way that DoF has done it, but seriously, its a bad idea.

No information when you promise it, no new screenies, no new demo's, no news of beta etc.

I read that some people keep writing that "We'll we don't want it rushed!", but seriously, things are starting to look lacking and lagging in this game. No new screenies, no new demos, nothing new on races.. Pre-constructs of cities have always sounded bad.

But, I seriously think that between the other longest running development race and sucky marketing, even Mount and Blade will out sell DoF.. :(

Who's asleep at the helm? Who is the SCHMUCK responsible for the promotion of this game?

Esculas the Mighty
08-28-2008, 08:33 PM
I am not too sure who's brilliant idea it was to approach the market the way that DoF has done it, but seriously, its a bad idea.

No information when you promise it, no new screenies, no new demo's, no news of beta etc.

I read that some people keep writing that "We'll we don't want it rushed!", but seriously, things are starting to look lacking and lagging in this game. No new screenies, no new demos, nothing new on races.. Pre-constructs of cities have always sounded bad.

But, I seriously think that between the other longest running development race and sucky marketing, even Mount and Blade will out sell DoF.. :(

Who's asleep at the helm? Or, who's too arrogant in the dev team? Who is the SCHMUCK responsible for the promotion of this game?

i approve of this post and here by out rules flameing ( dont post if u just wanna flame him but u can flame me as a meat shield :p )

yea totally agree tho man the forums died basically with no info for a long time i find it weird since they just got with lighthouse

Darvin
08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
The last we heard was that they aren't doing anything more until they're ready to start their main marketing drive for release, at which point they pull all the stops. I'd just be patient and wait. It's pointless for them to build up hype, then let it all deflate because the release is such a long ways away.

aVeron
08-29-2008, 12:24 AM
The marketing of this game is anything but good..

crex719
08-29-2008, 12:43 AM
Seriously If we keep asking them they will have to stop, make a trailer/beta/whatever and waste more time. They don't even have time to put dragons in so lets not delay them anymore....

Darvin
08-29-2008, 03:36 AM
I've played far too many games that were rushed out the door, and ended up sucking. Frankly, I don't know why gamers are still so impatient. We can plainly see the sea of mediocrity created by the rush to get titles out to the ravenous public, and I don't know why people are so intent on perpetuating this by demanding expediency.

Maybe because I, myself, am a programmer I can respect just how much time and effort it takes to do things right. I'm understanding, and quite supportive, of the need to take the extra time to do things right. The marketing drive will come, but they're obviously awaiting a certain stage of completion before they begin it.

Liljagare
08-29-2008, 04:36 AM
Hehe, don't get me wrong now, I want this game to succeed! :D

aVeron
08-29-2008, 06:17 AM
Ehm.. I dont think this threads intentions was to push the Developers into rush the game or something.. Rather to let the developers know that we're wondering whats going on out there, Because the updates are few and not really big. And people know very little about the game right now(For those few who knows about it).

For example the latest announcement about Lighthouse taking the role as the DoF publisher.. Along with that came 6 screenshots, which didnt show anything new..

Sketchie
08-29-2008, 09:16 AM
I totally agree, I had a post similar to this but it got locked as it totally strayed from being on topic =)

S

SvN
08-29-2008, 01:18 PM
true, they have promised updates many times now.. And I actually just realized that I don't know anything about the factions yet, the dof website is also strongly outdated.

I agree with Darvin that we just have to be patient, but without any new screenshots/info, this forum and the community will die.

Jean=A=Luc
08-29-2008, 02:12 PM
...this forum and the community will die.

How? Are you all planning to commit suicide?

Village Sock
08-29-2008, 02:19 PM
I am getting quite fed up as we've been promised scenairo editor screenies for a good few months now.

Sketchie
08-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Any dev willing to clear this up?

S

raving
08-29-2008, 03:12 PM
god im getting tired of this. The developers will give us updates on their given time. Give them a break lol. They have been working all day, and in their spare time they have been kind enough to update us on what is new. The reason why they are not giving updates that much atm is probably cause they are working too hard or havent found the time. All will come in time. Haven't u had enough of rushed games wich look like crap while if you gave them 3 more months they could have been beautiful.

ash12181987
08-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Sorry but yeah... Chill out guys, I'd wait another year if it meant it would be that much better. Everything we have been shown, shows that Reverie is NOT 3-d realms. Their actually doing something with their spare time, something that is worth the wait of the rest of us.

If your building a house, do you stand outside the construction site and yell at the guys building it, demanding he hurry up and give you a tour of the foundation? No, that would land you with a broken nose. So have some bloody patience and stop asking for table scraps when you will be fed the whole meal in the near future.

Puppeteer
08-30-2008, 04:34 AM
Guys, stop regurgitating the point that harassing the developers like this will make a rushed game and then infinitally worse game then otherwise. This is not the issue. We are not trying to get the developers to hurry up in production, this topic is not another generic discussion displaying our impatience for this game. No, this is about marketing. With so few updates and screenshots showing the devs' current work, we, the closest liaison between the public and Reverie so far (:p) in their marketing, are left in the dark. If we have no idea when the next update and installment is coming out, then how will the public and gaming websites? Unless they're posting updates elsewhere to anywhere except Lighthouse, which I highly doubt, then interest for this game will not bloom but wither.
So, to summerise, to the likes of ash12181987, raving, and any other person who failed to read anything in this topic except the title before spouting their irrelevant arguements, THINK!!.

Agree with you there, Village Stock.

aVeron
08-30-2008, 06:00 AM
To raving, ash12181987..

Can you guys actually read other posts before you make a statement? By that i mean read the posts that has been posted before you..

As I'm also getting tierd of all this fanboys-Patient-waiting people who thinks they'll reseve a medal for being so patient or somethin..
Well as I said before, I do not believe that this threads Intentions was to push the fellows Developers at Reverie studio to release the game eariler.. We're not tierd of wait for the game to come.. we're tierd of waiting for updates about the features of the game.. And it seems like this game has gone way beyond what it was supose to schedule..

The forum as some say, is dead.. Which i think is true, whereas the threads that are made is just getting oftopic and those who arn't just remain dead.. Why? Because there is nothing to talk about that is related, because people dont know anything, feels like we barely touch the surfies of the game yet..

The really big update this month about the game, was that it might not be a playable Dragon faction anymore, which was the only clue about the game they left us with. Which only brought up alot of negative questions..

raving
08-30-2008, 06:39 AM
to puppeteer and aVeron

I did read the topic and i know perfectly where it's about. But do you prefer them to work on the game and get it better and greater or do you want them to spend their time on promoting a half finished game.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-30-2008, 06:42 AM
It's funny though. About 2 months ago the forums was fine, it wasn't until alot of new people came in and started posted the same posts over and over again that the good discussions stopped. I'm tired of repeating myself but like it or not, there's nothing we can do about it. We can't hold a gun to the devs heads and force them to show us new screens. In the end though, I know that waiting will pay off. It's the eager people that don't shut up and, in the long run, make the game less exciting for everyone else. These senseless posts need to stop as they're getting us nowhere. We should focus on what the game will be and the things we are curious about in it and not the updates.

aVeron
08-30-2008, 09:04 AM
But do you prefer them to work on the game and get it better and greater or do you want them to spend their time on promoting a half finished game.

Well.. In companies like these, that develop games.. They have something that is called 'Producers'.. These guys, are the ones who's overseeing the whole development.. and are trying to sell the product, Its their job... and I bet this company have someone that has that proffession, to market the game..

SO, do you actually think that when a guy that is trying to market the game is also programming the game? thats two different kind of work..

there's nothing we can do about it.

Yeah, that might be true.. But then again, by doing these kind of threads, shows that some people care about the marketing of the game, which apparently some other dont.

In my post and in ravings we both say: Why do you want screens of a game, something that will take time and is ultimately useless, when they could be using that time to work more on the game? Reverie has already said that they releasing the game Q1 2009.

Why do I want screens? well the screens arnt the big deal here, eventhought its always good to market a game with eyecandy for the buyers.. but seems like you know nothin of sutch, but anyway.
The big thing is that probably 50% of those who know about the game, thinks its 'Dead', that is because, one thing.. the website hasnt been updated since ages, secondly there hasnt been any news/annoncements besides those on this forum. Which you probably thinks is great, because you seem to be professional at marketing..

It also indicates, in pretty much all of my posts: that I don't give a flipping crap about your opinion, you need to wait.

Well.. no one asked you to reply, if you dont give a damned..

I do want a metal, a nice and big one, with a massive slice of pie, and three urchins to do my bidding...

Hmm.. you do want a 'metal'? I dont understand what you want with a big metal piece.. Maybe you read the text, but i wonder if you undersood it :p

Puppeteer
08-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I did read the topic and i know perfectly where it's about. But do you prefer them to work on the game and get it better and greater or do you want them to spend their time on promoting a half finished game.

Pointless, irrelevant and sophistry. This is a false dichotomy, which in any case doesn't make any sense with what I'm debating.

Why do you want screens of a game, something that will take time and is ultimately useless, when they could be using that time to work more on the game?

Pointless, irrelevant and sophistry. This is a false dichotomy, which in any case doesn't make any sense with what I'm debating.

I think you two have misinterpreted my post. I only care for the marketing; but yet what you have oh so wrongly misconstrued is that I want another senseless point about me wanting updates just so I know how it's coming along, because I'm an impatient blighter. Which is so far from the truth; I care for the fact that with lack of updates to here one must imply that elsewhere there is nothing too for the public, seeing as these are Reverie's official forums. If we, who have followed this game, have little to go by I don't mind that I don't get to see all screenshots, in fact being me that makes the game more exciting, however you seem intent on making me seem impatient, but people who hear but the name of this game hear little about it, why would they want to buy it? Sure, a big marketing campaign at the end might bode well but somehow I doubt that, it's like UAW all over again! This is not about the fact that I want the Devs to waste time on some screenshots though they're through some half-development scheme so the update really shows nothing new for my benefit, it's that if they spent some time on Major Official Updates which they don't post solely here, but release all over the web then that would be time well spent. Delaying the release of the game being shipped is good if they raise more interest. This is what I'm debating, not that I want "pretty pictures" because I'm bored and impatient.

And if you're gonna make some contribution to this debate, don't waste your time on petty arguements. Stop trying to make this thing personal.

Agree with you there, Witchking. Annoying right?

Esculas the Mighty
08-30-2008, 02:16 PM
lol come on people any more post in this thread is gonna be flame just go do something else

Joseph Visscher
08-30-2008, 02:30 PM
lol come on people any more post in this thread is gonna be flame just go do something else

No, it wont be, don’t worry I'm watching it every night after doing 10+ hours of work a day.

All the main questions in this post have already been answered by others, lovely debates, but really the ultimate answer to all questions is time.
Time will tell.

Liljagare
08-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Without sales, we won't see a sequel, and the good guys making this game, well, might not make another one!

I can't think of any game nowadays that did well by word of mouth, they need to get the hubbub going!

Time doesn't do any favours to any gaming engine.. Battle for Middle earth 2 looked similar to what we have seen so far, and that game barely didn't tank.. released how long ago?

Grizzlez
08-30-2008, 06:01 PM
From reading this topic, it appears if everyone is getting confused with what others are saying. No-one here has a problem with waiting for a finished game, but some (including myself) believe that without marketing the product then no matter how good it is it will only have a small fanbase. As Reverie/DoF doesn't have an instant following like other games/developers it means they actually need to sell the product-a game like Gears of War 2 could do no advertisement and would still outsell practically every other Xbox360 game out there. Why? Well because it already has followers from the previous and its developers.
Without the proper marketing strategies, not enough hype over the game will be generated and no-one will know it exists. Normally a lot of people I know, know exactly when games are scheduled for release-none of my friends have even heard of the game. The only reason I know is from talking to JBV a long, long, long time ago about it.
It's not so much that people want new, flash screenshots-it's that they want new updates to get the game out there and bring in more fans. The forums are dead from when I first joined, as no-one has anything to talk about since the talk of dragons being removed.

Joseph Visscher
08-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Quote by ash12181987: "If your building a house, do you stand outside the construction site and yell at the guys building it, demanding he hurry up and give you a tour of the foundation? No, that would land you with a broken nose. So have some bloody patience and stop asking for table scraps when you will be fed the whole meal in the near future."

That was the best point you made Ash, and I totally agree with you.

A few people shouldn't influence an early release of anything, we will release new media when we find it to be the right time, we respect your opinions and we are watching, and we are going to make the best game that we can for you.

All of you must understand that Dawn of Fantasy is Reverie World Studio's first game title; we don’t have hundreds of millions to throw around here like EA does.

No publicity is still better than bad publicity.

People need to look at Valve, with their half life series, they practically don't release any information until the game is finished because they know it might change drastically by the time it is finally finished; I still can’t find any information on episode 3, although I know they started on it before even releasing episode 2. ;)
Anyways, having media released to people this early might be bad publicity which will be bad for the game and the fan base in the long run.

For example: you watch a gameplay trailer for a game, you watch it, and it’s a very early trailer, not very good, you will think that that game sucks really bad, and you then leave the game, go find another game never to return, when really that game might become something of utter brilliance when it is finally ready to shine.
Who knows what value a diamond inside from a fragment of mud has until you clean and polish it to its own perfection?

A lot of you think that we might be making a mistake taking so long, but you do not have all of the pieces of the puzzle nor do you know that the entire topic at hand is balanced upon two or more attributes: Yes a media drive to late may spell less customers, but a early game media drive that invokes bad publicity, well, there are many mine fields to maneuver around.

-Joseph Visscher

(P.S), I’m pushing for new screenshots to be released, not promising anything on my own end, but trying; also people must understand that any dev can’t just release unauthorized content that violates our own Non Discloser Agreement; I want to so badly show you all so many cool things.:rolleyes:

raving
08-31-2008, 11:46 AM
I want to so badly show you all so many cool things.:rolleyes:

we wont tell ;)

Mrdash
08-31-2008, 03:45 PM
You Go Jo!

Puppeteer
09-01-2008, 04:48 AM
I 'lol'ed at that :p

nickson104
09-01-2008, 05:25 AM
I just realised... Jo likes to use many metaphors, puns and really likes to speak in riddles a lot :) i bet it took him hours to post that :p :p

i actually agree with Jo on pretty much everything he said :)

Puppeteer
09-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Agreed but his example is exaggerated to an extent that it doesn't apply to DOF anymore. What we've seen we like, and if you made a trailer now, then it would by no means be an early trailer; if you had only just started, then we'd understand :p

Joseph Visscher
09-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Agreed but his example is exaggerated to an extent that it doesn't apply to DOF anymore. What we've seen we like, and if you made a trailer now, then it would by no means be an early trailer; if you had only just started, then we'd understand :p

You would understand just raw game engine code?

Puppeteer, this isn't just a mod of another game like I know you have experience with, its true most of the content is finished, but some content is stored away to be brought out when all of the other chess pieces are set; even then its not polished fully, then there is testing, finding glitches in maps, scripts, engine, then there is more polishing and testing, etc.

Mrdash
09-01-2008, 02:30 PM
even then its not polished fully, then there is testing, finding glitches in maps, scripts, engine, then there is more polishing and testing, etc.

Sounds like its clean up time. I really do hate cleaning.

Feweh
09-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Ya it's been a few months with nothing.

Wasen't there supposed to be a new website?

raving
09-02-2008, 05:03 AM
dont you normaly use alpha and beta for clean up?

The Witch King of Angmar
09-02-2008, 10:03 AM
I'd say mostly alpha.

Konstantin Fomenko
09-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Our official reply:)

We understand and greatly appreciate your concerns guys. But the fact is - our marketing campaign didn’t even begin. We have a very large marketing budget – almost matching our production budget and extensive marketing plan waiting for the right moment - once we do get rolling – all backed up and assisted by our publisher and their marketing team.

You`ll be not only seeing previews, interviews, videos, and screenshots in majority of biggest PC mags and gaming sites, but also DoF advertised on various related websites, in game retailers and other media as well. I can only hint that this campaign will start around November, and go until DoF is on the shelves, We plan to kick this off at Lyon GDC gaming convention this November.

Until that time we will continue to release a screenshot or two on our forums, but I am afraid that will be about as far as can go - and only with the goal of showing something to you guys - our dedicated fans. Meanwhile we are putting all our resources into development and making sure we can get moving with open testing around November.

raving
09-02-2008, 12:01 PM
sounds great to me ^^. now i atleast have a date where i can focus on :o. only 2 more months to go :D

iceblast
09-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Who's asleep at the helm? Who is the SCHMUCK responsible for the promotion of this game?

lolz schmuck, i havent heard that word in ages.

Let DOF Devs market there own game, many people wanted UAW ASAP and look what happened to the game...

just leave it to the devs.

How? Are you all planning to commit suicide?

lol jean, you always make me laugh :)

Websites take paitence to do, there boring and updating them regular is a pain. Have some respects peeps.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-02-2008, 04:08 PM
That sounds great. I can't wait until then.

raving
09-03-2008, 02:44 AM
Websites take paitence to do, there boring and updating them regular is a pain. Have some respects peeps.

i know its a ****ing pain in the ass

nickson104
09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
two months waiting doesnt sound too bad, and im guessing we will be expecting something awesome

The Witch King of Angmar
09-04-2008, 02:22 PM
There are other good games coming out in the mean time.

nickson104
09-04-2008, 02:57 PM
There are other good games coming out in the mean time.

GOW2 GOW2 GOW2 :P :p lol

Onebadterran
09-22-2008, 07:55 PM
I too have played many many games, most of them rushed. 90% of the rushed games suck unless they are strongly based off of another game that they have that was not rushed. Seen how it is my job to be a game tester (freelance) I have a large amount of experience in that field and just from that I can tell that good games take time. I also know people who are currently learning programming and they tell me that it can take a very long time to program just one little section of a game correctly.

Different note: Another game that is similar to DoF is 0 A.D. The atmosphere is very similar, the game is still being created, and they are putting up a new screenshot about every month to show that they are still working on the game and also showing that this will take a very very very long time (especially since there are so few people working on the game). Looking forward to helping them more in a couple of years when they get the game almost finished.

Secondary note: GoW2 looks awesome and amazingly enough it has even better graphics than GoW1. If you are a diehard RTS fan then I recommend Shattered Galaxy in the mean time, that or contribute to DoF.

aVeron
09-23-2008, 12:56 AM
hehe well only difference between 0 A.D and dof, is that dof doesnt post screens or hold us updated every month ^^

kronlc
09-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Cant wait come november.

kronlc
10-01-2008, 03:34 PM
If it doasen't release by next march then
I'm going to stop torturing myself and go
buy empire total war.:)

A update would be nice because gamers will and do lose interest
looking at the same content for the 50th time :)
as I have with your screenshots maybe just a post from
the devs more often to give us hope a bit of tell tell
on whats going on over there would be a great morale booster
for some of these guys who have been holding out so long
for your product. Peace.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2008, 04:59 AM
I just think more meaningful discussion would be a moral booster for me. :D (not that we've been spamming that bad lately.)

aVeron
10-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Moral booster can only come from reverie it self...

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I would really love to see some more screens even if they don't have the graphics update.

kronlc
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
SO would I Witch king so would I

nickson104
10-03-2008, 06:48 AM
I agree with witch king on both parts :) at the moment there are only like 4 or 5 discussions going really and 2 of which are about Reverie giving us updates :p Yes an update would be nice but them finishing and developing the game is more important... :)

and just for the record... screenshots are much better than footage :p or so i say :)

Andy Joslin
10-03-2008, 07:13 AM
I would really love to see some more screens even if they don't have the graphics update.

Lighthouse has taken charge of the marketing campaign, so we can't really release new content for now. However, you'll see a huge surge soon enough. ;)

Puppeteer
10-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Excellent!

LordSlayer
10-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Finally, we might just get the chance to know if dragons made it in the game.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Even if they don't I'll still be happy.

nickson104
10-04-2008, 04:44 AM
Even if they don't I'll still be happy.

Same, with a game this good it would be impossible not to be :) :p but dragons being an initial feature; although unlikely would make the game extraordinary

Puppeteer
10-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm not so sure, it would be nice to play them in the initial release, but there would be so much more stuff for them if they were included in an expansion! Possibley their own campaign too (*hint* *hint*) :p

fyro11
10-04-2008, 10:42 AM
But please do not limit to Dragons if they are to be in the expansion. Preferably Undead and Dwarves as well. That would be awesome.

Revan
10-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Lol how about no Undead and Dwarves? This isn't Warcraft haha stray from the original lines of Fantasy and invent something new. But this of course shouldn't be spoken of right at this moment for the game is still in development haha. :D

Also, i don't see why people are so impatient about the release of this game, be patient, wait and see where it goes. Don't be demanding screen shots and demo's, that's immature and could potentially put a lot of unnecessary stress on the developers who are putting the most effort into this game. So sit back, relax, check in keep an eye on the progress and hope for updates.

Jean=A=Luc
10-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Lol how about no Undead and Dwarves? This isn't Warcraft haha stray from the original lines of Fantasy and invent something new. But this of course shouldn't be spoken of right at this moment for the game is still in development haha. :D

This game also has Humans,Elves and Orcs who are also present in Warcraft. Warcraft has dragons too. And gnolls, and goblins, and nagas, trolls, ogres, living trees, giant turtles, wolves, elementals, drunken ninja pandas, need I go on?

wou129
10-13-2008, 11:33 PM
u forgot the best dionosaurs

Jean=A=Luc
10-14-2008, 09:33 AM
u forgot the best dionosaurs

I thought that goes without saying. :)

Joseph Visscher
10-14-2008, 09:38 AM
This game also has Humans,Elves and Orcs who are also present in Warcraft. Warcraft has dragons too. And gnolls, and goblins, and nagas, trolls, ogres, living trees, giant turtles, wolves, elementals, drunken ninja pandas, need I go on?

None of these fantasy creatures are originated by warcraft, only the new concept of design and the way they look, likewise, our fantasy creatures/units look nothing like any other game's units.
I believe J.R. Token thought them up and now "Orc" has become a common word and meaning to a humanoid individual which has a higher basic instincts and lower levels of intellect, you could say almost like Bigfoot just not as much hair.
LOTR Orcs are grown from the ground. No wonder their brain is a turnip. :p
Ah here is the page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orc

Jean=A=Luc
10-14-2008, 11:28 AM
I never said those creatures originated in Warcraft, just that it's hard to avoid making a fantasy setting with at least some creatures that weren't already featured in that game. It was Revan who automatically associated dwarves and undead with WC.

Puppeteer
10-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Also, i don't see why people are so impatient about the release of this game, be patient, wait and see where it goes. Don't be demanding screen shots and demo's, that's immature and could potentially put a lot of unnecessary stress on the developers who are putting the most effort into this game. So sit back, relax, check in keep an eye on the progress and hope for updates.
I'm getting sick of people saying this. Who is this addressed to!? No one was going on about this!