PDA

View Full Version : cross networking?!?!

SPARROW94
07-06-2007, 07:12 PM
for the xbox360 and pc will there be an cross networking?? like if its an MMO it would be nice to know there would be more players...it might make the game more popular.

Irish_PXzyan
07-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Age Of Conan are going to go about that! iam sure this will also ;)

Although AoC might go about it differently, you can either play on an Xbox360 world only or else choose to play with Xbox 360 and Pc versions.

For the PC user it will be alot easier to navigate around the map and use hotkeys which gives the PC owner at an advantage. So I wont be to surprized if they dont allow Xbox Users play against PC users....it would be good if they gave you the option and let the gamer choose what he/she wants.

SPARROW94
07-07-2007, 07:47 AM
if you read ign on the xbox360 spring update microsoft is curently making a keyboard for the 360 check my profile pic if you wanna see how it looks like

Irish_PXzyan
07-07-2007, 12:15 PM
twice I heard you mention your pic of the keyboard! surely once is enough?

But yea!! it would be great.

The Witch King of Angmar
07-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Age Of Conan are going to go about that! iam sure this will also ;)

Although AoC might go about it differently, you can either play on an Xbox360 world only or else choose to play with Xbox 360 and Pc versions.

For the PC user it will be alot easier to navigate around the map and use hotkeys which gives the PC owner at an advantage. So I wont be to surprized if they dont allow Xbox Users play against PC users....it would be good if they gave you the option and let the gamer choose what he/she wants.

I'm glad I'm a PC user because I don't understand without the keyboard how 360 users could play these games at all.

Irish_PXzyan
07-07-2007, 12:21 PM
As long as DoF is not going to be a crossport version of the X360 game...or this will be a living nightmare!

Well imagine this...look at the amount of buttons you have on a keyboard compared to the gamepad!! id hate to play this on a gamepad!!

Its really aqward using a gamepad in RTS games!!! terrible if ya ask me:p

ShadowyMoon
10-01-2007, 12:45 AM
The limited controls of the Xbox have always been a problem with RTS games and games that allow PC vs Xbox players already proved that the PC players have a very big advantage so as long Microsoft doesnt make the Xbox more RTS friendly I think there shouldn't be PC vs Xbox matches in DoF.

jap88
10-01-2007, 02:39 PM
I suppose it could be possible to make DoF compatible with keyboard and mouse on the 360 though as there are 2 usb ports however i am not positive.

Ryan Zelazny
10-02-2007, 11:03 AM
We are planning on including cross-networking for DoF. However as the technology is quite new, we might run across too many problems and have to scrap that feature.

Xbox users will have slight advantages in places PCs don't.

For example, the Xbox User Interface is quite different from the PC, due to the limited amount of buttons you have to work with, as well as a less-precise control stick vs. a mouse. So we have developed a unique control scheme and a user interface that is unique to the Xbox version and will help players manage their armies much easier.

Xbox users also get benefits from having a version that is optimized to run on their system, which means no matter how many units you have on your screen, or what spells or actions are being cast, it wont lag or stall. This is just undoable on a PC, as everyone's PC is different and we cannot optimize it for them, changing settings on their own can make a game run smoother, but certain events can trigger signifigant drops in performance.

Also, Xbox users on average have a faster internet connection speed as well, as they are not bogged down by firewalls and other security measures that windows takes.

ShadowyMoon
10-02-2007, 11:05 AM
That made me feel sad :( My computer has slow internet and the computer itself is slow. Hopefully I'll get a new one before DoF is released.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 01:22 PM
That made me feel sad :( My computer has slow internet and the computer itself is slow. Hopefully I'll get a new one before DoF is released.

Hopefully I will have Verizon FIOS by then but the high speed is doing well for me. Plus I bought more RAM and a graphics card to speed things up.

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 04:01 PM
yay i have an xb360

Therightchoice
12-03-2007, 01:23 PM
please include this cos my brotherse buyed emselfs xbox's to play wid each other and im always not playing with them so it would be really sick if you did it and i got loads of freinds who would get it on xbox but not pc cos they have crap pc's

SPARROW94
12-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Then that would mean this is "Games for windows live"

i6.Stalker
02-26-2008, 06:22 PM
I hooked up a USB Keyboard to my 360, worked just fine. Dunno if it works in games yet but i can write messages and navigate through dashboard n' stuff. I'm sure they could come out with an update to let you use any keyboard.

iceblast
02-29-2008, 12:33 PM
just dont make the pc for windows live.

SPARROW94
03-01-2008, 10:51 AM
meh i still think windows live would be little more coool FOR EPOPLE WHO HAVE XBOX LIVE

Grizzlez
04-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Universe at War had cross platforming and windows for live, unfortunately it was a total flop-mainly because no-one knew about the game. You guys need to make sure all major bugs are ironed out in beta testing and not just in game, and make sure there is enough people aware of the game to play it, a game like this can have a massive audience if the word is right. I only heard about it from Joseph Vischeer and there is literally nothing about this game, even with the new updates. So if your spending the time on cross platforming, make sure theres a big enough fan base :) Keep up the good work.

wou129
05-10-2008, 10:21 AM
i agree
and universe at war is a cool game man:D :D :D :D

SPARROW94
05-15-2008, 10:29 PM
uaw is a **** game that deservs to eat **** and die...PLEASE PEOPEL DO NOT WASTE YOU LIFES ON uaw i played it for xbox360 bad connection probs and AI blows and frame rate issues

Quellist
12-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Xbox users will have slight advantages in places PCs don't.

No they don't, the only one that is arguable is the "optimized for" and how much of an impact that will have compared to the performance of a baseline gaming PC.

For example, the Xbox User Interface is quite different from the PC, due to the limited amount of buttons you have to work with, as well as a less-precise control stick vs. a mouse. So we have developed a unique control scheme and a user interface that is unique to the Xbox version and will help players manage their armies much easier.

There are only a few possibilities here. Either you handicap the PC player, ie more work for the same results without any added benefit coming from the greater control. This would kill any sort of tactical depth.
Or you make it so slow it's borderline a TBS that plays out in realtime, this will give the Xbox players a chance to keep up.
There might be more options available, but in the end you just can't level the playing field between a keyboard/mouse combo and a xbox controller.

Also, Xbox users on average have a faster internet connection speed as well, as they are not bogged down by firewalls and other security measures that windows takes.

If you can get a good latency in FPSes there is no reason why you should get any worse in DoF, it's not like the pace are going to be faster in DoF than your average FPS. And firewalls don't really impact bandwith to any great extent.

The_Biz
12-12-2008, 03:47 AM
usually people say that cross-platform play brings more trouble than it's worth. it's a pain to code and leads to unbalanced games. they did it in quake 3. console players pretty much always lost. I know that's a blazing fast FPS, but those can be played with gamepads even if they can't be won against anyone who doesn't suck. RTS's have a long way to go on consoles. few people actually are proficient with any reasonable control scheme. the xbox crowd spend all its time playing shooting games and single player games that aren't RTS's, whereas the people buying the PC game will know how to play strategy games - both in tactics and in controls. halo wars might help a bit, but i don't think it will do all that much. the other RTS's have either been voice activated or PC ports.

however, I don't see this game being very popular the moment it comes out. the online community will probably start small on both versions. i hope it's active enough to sustain itself so that people can find whatever match they want whenever they want, but realistically you can't guarantee that for this game, so you might need cross-platform play just so there are enough players for the console crowd to play against. that might be the only way for the game to succeed on the xbox unless people buy it for the single-player campaign alone, but MMORTS doesn't imply that.

other than that prediction, i just don't like the idea of the same strategy games on consoles and PCs. it usually forces games to be dumbed down as it becomes too simple and easy with a low unit cap (consoles have worse processors and less RAM than any cheap modern PC) to be a game that won't sell unless it appeals to the console audience which doesn't know the first thing about an actually strategic game. console strategy games have their own place (the watered down civilization revolution, the voice activated end war) and those can come to PC if necessary, but in general the PC version of a game gets hurt if it goes to consoles. perhaps there was some point during the development when developers rejected a feature because the xbox or its players could not handle it. if you can really make the same game be as good as possible on its own merits on PC and playable to some degree of competence on consoles it will be a significant achievement.

Joseph Visscher
01-23-2009, 10:56 AM
The xb360 version and any other console version will be released months after the pc version and will indeed have many more features, bonus content, and gameplay polishing than the pc version.

jackeeboi
01-25-2009, 09:17 AM
will it come out for the ps3 as well? becuase my pc is not very gd and why get a xbox when they end up costing more money overall than a ps3.

SvN
01-25-2009, 09:23 AM
The xb360 version and any other console version will be released months after the pc version and will indeed have many more features, bonus content, and gameplay polishing than the pc version.

that doesn't really sound fair:( Will pc users get those special features with patches?

Puppeteer
01-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey, xbox360 users won't be able to mod it or map for it. That far outweighs having a little extra content :)
And jackeeboi your logic seems flawed somewhat.

The_Biz
01-25-2009, 02:16 PM
extra xbox features would kind of alienate your fanbase

console strategy gamers don't care about exclusive content over a PC game, but PC gamers will care if you put extra content on another platform

anyways, xbox including online and ps3 are expensive machines compared to PC. dawn of fantasy doesn't even need a powerful one.

Dorman
01-26-2009, 03:31 AM

You have to be kidding.
Basically you are saying that PC user will get an inferior version with less content.
Good luck with this game, you will need it.

The Witch King of Angmar
01-26-2009, 04:46 AM
You clearly didn't read Puppeteer's post. There are still many advantages to the computer version.

Dorman
01-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Actually i did.
- many more features for the XBox version
-bonus content for the XBox version

But hey, the PC gamers will have mods (=free work of customers who bought the game and help to make the game attractive).

Btw, someone should update the "Overview":
"Dawn of Fantasy is aiming for a quarter 1, 2007 release"

Andy Joslin
01-26-2009, 08:32 AM
The information Joseph gave will more likely than not change before release and is not at all decided finally.

In addition, we know our site is out of date. Small incompetence on our part you could say, no one has updated it. I'm going to talk to our web developer about at least updating the date for a second instead of working on the new site ...

Puppeteer
01-26-2009, 10:29 AM
You have to be kidding.
Basically you are saying that PC user will get an inferior version with less content.
Good luck with this game, you will need it.
Nice impartial view there. The differences in the versions will not completely alienate other users, because the "improved version" will more likely as not have a marginal amount of new content. A spell or two, a couple of units, some better balance... it won't make the PC version redundant.

Dorman
01-26-2009, 03:14 PM
New spells? More units? Only for the XBox version? Why?
Better balance? So PC user are some kind of beta tester.

Puppeteer
01-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Evidently. It's easier to, or used to be in any case, to patch and rebalance PC versions. And to give the console version a purpose, considering the more difficult controls and the lack of modding capabilities, they have to have something. Long term, they're worse off.

The Witch King of Angmar
01-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Both sound fine to me and should balance out nicely.

fyro11
01-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Patching, as far as PS3 goes, is very easy for developers. Many games I've bought in the past, after running them I find a new update. It's a simple matter of pressing OK (the X button), and waiting about 2 minutes (or more) depending on the size of the patch. I don't think it'd be immensely difficult from the developers side as well.

I'm trying to be impartial here, but it does kind of hurt having a PC and a PS3, so with this game (and most RTS games, as none are ever released on PS3) having more features on Xbox360 from the developers side. I think PC users do tend to get it worst from most developers (not talking of Reverie here, just a general point) as developers see more potential in the console market. Also less support is required in the console market, as all platforms are exactly the same, hence the potential for problems is covered with one simple patch. Then with PCs, there are differenct graphics cards, different configurations, different RAM and so patching problems is a lot more lengthy etc, etc.

Modders are rarely ever able to achieve great, great heights in terms of quality and consistency though it's not their fault at all; the real keys to changes lie in the hands of the makers. Modders can only work within a certain capacity of the game, and some aspects are hardcoded.

Puppeteer
01-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Which is why, IIRC, that Reverie disclosed (unofficially or otherwise) that they would try to ensure full modding capabilities, or at least extensive capabilities. Modding is successful when a company deliberately includes moddable content and supports the modders, through software or tutorials.