PDA

View Full Version : Mythology geek's :p

frankein_fish
08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Since the last mythology chatting topic is locked i thought, why not make a new one?
(One who's acctuly dedicated to myth :D)
now we just need to think of something to discuss :o

ash12181987
08-19-2008, 04:02 PM
How about, the finding of troy by Schliemann (Sp?), and or the finding of the rock temple off the coast of japan, that might possibly be the lost city of Atlantis.

In terms of the Atlantis one, do you wish to throw your support behind it, or the "road" found in the norther Caribbeans?

Sketchie
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM
I thought Atlantis was that place you can get to through a Stargate???? :confused:

S

Esculas the Mighty
08-19-2008, 06:07 PM
How about, the finding of troy by Schliemann (Sp?), and or the finding of the rock temple off the coast of japan, that might possibly be the lost city of Atlantis.

In terms of the Atlantis one, do you wish to throw your support behind it, or the "road" found in the norther Caribbeans?

i wanna know more about the rock temple

ash12181987
08-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Yonagumi Monument: Click (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonaguni#Seabed_structures)

Found a few years ago by divers. The monument is at the center of a debate when it comes to it's origin, be it natural (geological formation) or artificial (Meaning it's a 10,000 feature).

The dating of the site put it at 10,000BC abouts, which was also the last time that, that area was on the surface, adding validity to the claims of their construction. At the same time the geologists who have studied the formations claim they are possibly formed by natural erosion, seismic activity caused by the volcanic region the monuments are located in, as well as a certain amount of faunal interference.

Esculas the Mighty
08-19-2008, 08:26 PM
thx!

and theres no way thats geological the i've never seen rock formations that perfect

ash12181987
08-19-2008, 11:20 PM
the idea is that the rock is actually much more jagged, but the covering polups, coral, etc. mask the true shape, making it appear much more... artificial in appearance.

The problem is that the geological explanations can be countered by the (I hate to say Archaeological, considering how little work has been done on the site, it being seen as being a hoax, and thus not looked at in a truly professional light IMO) anthropological explanations; but, then the geological explanations can be easily countered by the archaeological explanations as well! If you consider erosion, it works for both sides. The strong current would carry off any rock slabs that broke off from the original outcrop, but it would also mask any tool marks on the structure (which would have LONG faded after the 10,000 year history of the site). Any actual evidence of civilization would have long dissolved in the salt water, carried away by the currents, or buried under silt and fauna...

Too long ago for historical record... it all comes down to what you believe.

frankein_fish
08-20-2008, 01:53 AM
Yea.
BTW i saw that "Road" on TV not too long ago :D
Altough it didn't convince me.

olauwers
08-20-2008, 06:12 AM
Hmmm... I do doubt that would be Atlantis... Most records speak of it lying somewhere in between Europe and America. Plato first mentioned it, saying it was an island "beyond the pillars of Herakles", which is antiquity-gibberish for the street of Gibraltar.

So yeah, the area of Japan is a bit out of the way, no?

frankein_fish
08-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Hmmm... I do doubt that would be Atlantis... Most records speak of it lying somewhere in between Europe and America. Plato first mentioned it, saying it was an island "beyond the pillars of Herakles", which is antiquity-gibberish for the street of Gibraltar.

He also said that there were red rocks,Elephants and water ways there

Esculas the Mighty
08-20-2008, 01:26 PM
true 10000 years ago is too long ago they should have built more inland :)

Jean=A=Luc
08-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Nice guys but what's all this got to do with mythology? So far it's all general history, anthropology and archaeology. You've only started discussing and you're already off-topic. :p

Mrdash
08-20-2008, 01:42 PM
So what its in the off topic area and its interesting. =-D

ash12181987
08-20-2008, 01:42 PM
It's a mythological site, that has supposedly been found. It's not as off topic, as (oh say for example) coming in and correcting an offtopic forum post for being offtopic.

And Escalas, they wouldn't have known really. I mean, there was much more glacial movement, much more water tied up in glaciers... We're not talking about a modern geologist in Conan's court or something here.

As for which makes more sense... All of this goes back to the unification of ancient man explaining architectural similarities between civilizations (Quite literally) Worlds apart. While the Atlantic seems to be Plato's location, I would think the region of the Yonagumi monument would make more sense, being in the path of the people migrating northward, towards the landbridge.

Esculas the Mighty
08-20-2008, 04:18 PM
It's a mythological site, that has supposedly been found. It's not as off topic, as (oh say for example) coming in and correcting an offtopic forum post for being offtopic.

And Escalas, they wouldn't have known really. I mean, there was much more glacial movement, much more water tied up in glaciers... We're not talking about a modern geologist in Conan's court or something here.

As for which makes more sense... All of this goes back to the unification of ancient man explaining architectural similarities between civilizations (Quite literally) Worlds apart. While the Atlantic seems to be Plato's location, I would think the region of the Yonagumi monument would make more sense, being in the path of the people migrating northward, towards the landbridge.

yea they prob not had much of a choice anyway you should always settle near fresh water and food (fish) if they had the tech which they should have considering they had learned to agriculture

Joseph Visscher
08-20-2008, 04:44 PM
It's not as off topic, as (oh say for example) coming in and correcting an offtopic forum post for being offtopic.

Ha nice one.

I think Atlantis propribly was in the middle of the 'Ring of fire' (http://oregonmag.com/RingOfFireMap.gif) and got melted when the plates moved away, sort like if you where standing on 2 wheelbarrows and they both move in two different directions, you end up... or rather you end down... ;)

ash12181987
08-20-2008, 10:12 PM
The only problem is, that the pacific coast divergent boundaries are only about a 100 miles off the coast of the northern pacific coast (About Washington). More though, landmasses don't form from an undersea rise. The crust that is formed by hardening divergent boundaries is dense undersea crust, not continental crust. For a divergent boundary to shat out a piece of continental crust is highly improbable, near impossible... okay no, it Is impossible. If your talking about a possible landmass like Pangea being broken up by the divergent boundries... the last time that happened was over 50 million years ago, beating the evolution of human beings by over 48 million years. Even then, the pressure of a continental crust being broken by a forming divergent boundry form vallies, and rift the continent apart, not vaporize the landmass to have it quickly subducted.

The only place where a landmass could form, would possibly be on the hotspot that forms Hawaii, but that wasn't being moved at a slow enough speed to form a significant landmass for millions of years.

The only islands really formed by anything, would be the subduction island archipelagos around the ring... IE Japan.

olauwers
08-21-2008, 04:32 AM
He also said that there were red rocks,Elephants and water ways there

Yes, what is the problem with it being in the Atlantic Ocean? Maybe it was at about the same heigth of Africa. There are African elephants, you know? :p

Red rocks is no problem, there are red rocks we know of. Rubies, for example.

And well, we have water ways all over the place. :D

It was not only Plato's location. There have been some maps made, later, by other people, that also indicate that it is somewhere around that neighbourhood.
Then again, they could very well have been inspired by Plato...

The only problem is, that the pacific coast divergent boundaries are only about a 100 miles off the coast of the northern pacific coast (About Washington). More though, landmasses don't form from an undersea rise. The crust that is formed by hardening divergent boundaries is dense undersea crust, not continental crust. For a divergent boundary to shat out a piece of continental crust is highly improbable, near impossible... okay no, it Is impossible. If your talking about a possible landmass like Pangea being broken up by the divergent boundries... the last time that happened was over 50 million years ago, beating the evolution of human beings by over 48 million years. Even then, the pressure of a continental crust being broken by a forming divergent boundry form vallies, and rift the continent apart, not vaporize the landmass to have it quickly subducted.

The only place where a landmass could form, would possibly be on the hotspot that forms Hawaii, but that wasn't being moved at a slow enough speed to form a significant landmass for millions of years.

The only islands really formed by anything, would be the subduction island archipelagos around the ring... IE Japan.

The problem is not really where an island could have formed, since the island probably had been there for a long, long time. The problem is where an island could have dissapeared.

I'm voting for the Bermuda-triangle :p

Puppeteer
08-21-2008, 07:21 AM
Funny how I'm reading a book called "Atlantis", by David Gibbins (an underwater archaeologist). Atlantis was said to derive from the Atlantic Ocean, but this man believes that Plato (I think) said that the island would exist there because civilisations in the Mediterranean know not a lot about the Atlantic Ocean, and so through hyperbole tried to make it seem like some unknown mystical fortress island in an unexplored region. Whereas most likely if it ever existed it was a citadel on a peninsula near to Crete and the Black Sea, most likely in the Aegean somewhere. And was destroyed by the volcanic eruption (can't remember volcano) that made great tsunamis.

ash12181987
08-21-2008, 09:30 AM
near crete and the black sea... Do you mean the Minoan (Sp?) civilization basically? Which makes sense.

Esculas the Mighty
08-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Yes, what is the problem with it being in the Atlantic Ocean? Maybe it was at about the same heigth of Africa. There are African elephants, you know? :p

Red rocks is no problem, there are red rocks we know of. Rubies, for example.

And well, we have water ways all over the place. :D

It was not only Plato's location. There have been some maps made, later, by other people, that also indicate that it is somewhere around that neighbourhood.
Then again, they could very well have been inspired by Plato...

The problem is not really where an island could have formed, since the island probably had been there for a long, long time. The problem is where an island could have dissapeared.

I'm voting for the Bermuda-triangle :p

lol yea bermuda

its like they said :(

these other humans are too war-like and they cant just agree for the common good

they shouldnt find us :(

or the bermuda wasnt there before and it destroyed them when it formed

Puppeteer
08-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah that's right, Minoan. And the volcano was Thera. Now obviously a lot of this is fiction, perchance, but raises some valuable questions concerning the myth of Atlantis.

kronlc
10-23-2008, 08:14 PM
WHata bout ENki The leader of the universe,
ANd aNu who is the creator.. thats right
He watches our every move even in the shower.
He liek that most of all.But he is cvoming for you and
he will want to know why everyone has been abusing there foul
mouths and escapades willl have to be explained .....
Even you canyt hide when he comes...He doasant liek landless peasants either
very much so I advise all of you to find mud holes to hide in.

I myself will be spared cos he respects Beings who have reached there
full potential...and he willturn his upper lip up at any
one who thinks there better then him...
I warned yous all..

Esculas the Mighty
10-23-2008, 09:07 PM
ive read somewhere that human kind has started over 3 or so times anyone has any info on that?

kronlc
10-23-2008, 09:49 PM
ive read somewhere that human kind has started over 3 or so times anyone has any info on that?

Of coarse it has escalus....
They wiped us out everytime we start breeding and letting
other alien beings breed into our society...we cant cheat the gene pool like that noob' we have to play by the rules baby.

Puppeteer
10-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Anu and Enki, weren't they Lord of the Skies and Lord of the Water in animism (respectively)? Man, Year 8 seems a while ago...
kronlc, if you've reached your potential now, then I pity you

iceblast
10-24-2008, 02:39 PM
oh dear this seems like a foreign language to me lol.

Esculas the Mighty
10-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Anu and Enki, weren't they Lord of the Skies and Lord of the Water in animism (respectivel)? Man, Year 8 seems a while ago...
kronlc, if you've reached your potential now, then I pity you

si that Japanese or east Indian???

i know it may be something else but those seem east Indian and Japanese

Puppeteer
10-25-2008, 06:28 AM
I thought they were either pre-Mesopotamian (or somewhere around Sumeria), or Aborigines.

Esculas the Mighty
10-25-2008, 09:34 AM
your right Sumerian and Akkadian gods

Esculas the Mighty
10-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Of coarse it has escalus....
They wiped us out everytime we start breeding and letting
other alien beings breed into our society...we cant cheat the gene pool like that noob' we have to play by the rules baby.

im not a noob id pwn you =P