PDA

View Full Version : question about balance/shop

andreicde
08-27-2011, 08:47 PM
I have 2 important questions and I'd really appreciate the answers since I'm very curious.
One of my questions is : Will the shop ever be used to buy enhancements in the game?I'm not talking about expansions,but about stuff like crafting and such.Most games start well then they screw up by adding tons of things which are amazing except you have to pay for them.Or will some quests or parts of the game be done on purpose to make us buy stuff from the store?

My 2nd question is about balance. I like the concept of dragons a lot but I'm worried about how will that affect balance.I saw the red dragon stats and they are quite huge which scares me if i think about the great dragon.So my question is if we have any way to beat those dragons.I will play an elf in retail just like I did in beta but I hope there are other solutions except making 30-40 formations of rangers with max upgrades and all targeting the dragon in the same time and hoping he dies.If there isn't any way to kill them yet will we have some anti air units for all races?

Brian Shingles
08-28-2011, 04:28 AM
will some quests or parts of the game be done on purpose to make us buy stuff from the store?
No, we will never have any quest that requires you to buy something from the store to complete it other than the quest itself as part of a quest pack/expansion/DLC. Of course, some quests might be easier if you had a Cannon or something, but it won't be impossible to beat without it.

So my question is if we have any way to beat those dragons.
I believe Halberdiers, Sentries and Impalers all have bonuses against dragons. Dragons spend more time on the ground than they do in the air, so you should be able to get to them and kill them.

If they are found to be too unbalanced then we will adjust their stats or increase their population requirement in a patch.

andreicde
08-28-2011, 07:07 AM
No, we will never have any quest that requires you to buy something from the store to complete it other than the quest itself as part of a quest pack/expansion/DLC. Of course, some quests might be easier if you had a Cannon or something, but it won't be impossible to beat without it.

I believe Halberdiers, Sentries and Impalers all have bonuses against dragons. Dragons spend more time on the ground than they do in the air, so you should be able to get to them and kill them.

If they are found to be too unbalanced then we will adjust their stats or increase their population requirement in a patch.

ok thank you.

Joseph Visscher
08-28-2011, 01:20 PM
about dragon balance, yes we will balance it out, but right now they might actually be under powered if used incorrectly.
Here are some key downsides to dragons:

1.Spear and pike infantry like brain said currently do 3Xdamage to dragons, a few battalions trapping it will slaughter a dragon quickly.

2. Dragons take massive amount of population, Royal Dragon atm takes 20 population, this is 20 battalions, so your basically trading an army for a dragon. Strength of a dragon is matched accordingly in pvp, so when your playing someone and if you have a Dragon and he does not, He will outnumber you greatly!

3. Loot, risk, if your dragon dies, Dragons loot is massive, Royal Dragon's loot is currently 10,000 gold. If you do manage to defeat a dragon, you are going to get so much damn gold, you can take it and buy an army with it; If you are victorious of-course.

4. Size and Attack radius, The dragon is a big unit, and so more enemy units are able to encircle it all at once and all attack it at once, Unlike normal sized units where only 3-8 units can attack 1 unit at a time. You can charge a dragon with 2 knight battalions and completely encircle it, so the dragon is much higher. of-course the Dragon is a Dragon so watch out. Fire Wall+Melee attack = Burnt Diced Meat.

5.Tactics, like i said, if player uses All of the dragons stamina on fire walls and flying, he may not have enough stamina to fly away from you, in that time you can rush him with everything you got.

6. Flying and Arrows, Dragons take more damage from arrows while in flight, if the dragon is flying to you make sure all your archers are shooting it and it will cause more damage during the flight!

7. Warden Downpour, Female and Male Elven Wardens (you can buy some from Elven cities even if your another race) have a magic ability which can spawn rain clouds over a large area, if you do this the dragon's fire will not be as powerful as its constantly being put out by the rain.

andreicde
08-28-2011, 05:01 PM
about dragon balance, yes we will balance it out, but right now they might actually be under powered if used incorrectly.
Here are some key downsides to dragons:

1.Spear and pike infantry like brain said currently do 3Xdamage to dragons, a few battalions trapping it will slaughter a dragon quickly.

2. Dragons take massive amount of population, Royal Dragon atm takes 20 population, this is 20 battalions, so your basically trading an army for a dragon. Strength of a dragon is matched accordingly in pvp, so when your playing someone and if you have a Dragon and he does not, He will outnumber you greatly!

3. Loot, risk, if your dragon dies, Dragons loot is massive, Royal Dragon's loot is currently 10,000 gold. If you do manage to defeat a dragon, you are going to get so much damn gold, you can take it and buy an army with it; If you are victorious of-course.

4. Size and Attack radius, The dragon is a big unit, and so more enemy units are able to encircle it all at once and all attack it at once, Unlike normal sized units where only 3-8 units can attack 1 unit at a time. You can charge a dragon with 2 knight battalions and completely encircle it, so the dragon is much higher. of-course the Dragon is a Dragon so watch out. Fire Wall+Melee attack = Burnt Diced Meat.

5.Tactics, like i said, if player uses All of the dragons stamina on fire walls and flying, he may not have enough stamina to fly away from you, in that time you can rush him with everything you got.

6. Flying and Arrows, Dragons take more damage from arrows while in flight, if the dragon is flying to you make sure all your archers are shooting it and it will cause more damage during the flight!

7. Warden Downpour, Female and Male Elven Wardens (you can buy some from Elven cities even if your another race) have a magic ability which can spawn rain clouds over a large area, if you do this the dragon's fire will not be as powerful as its constantly being put out by the rain.

Oh cool. I was just worried before since I saw the damage of the red dragon and i thought it was a huge beast attacking super fast,who could fly and use aoe attacks and next to impossible to beat specially the royal dragon

Pream
08-30-2011, 02:36 AM
no offence meant to Joseph at all, in fact I'm a massive fan of what he's done for Dawn of Fantasy :)

but do you think that may have been slightly too much info? you've basically just told us how to defeat a dragon :P it may be much harder than it sounds, I can understand that

nevertheless, thank you for all of the info on dragons in general, it'd actually be quite helpful if i ever think about getting a dragon...i may invest in cannons instead :)

andreicde
08-30-2011, 04:47 PM
no offence meant to Joseph at all, in fact I'm a massive fan of what he's done for Dawn of Fantasy :)

but do you think that may have been slightly too much info? you've basically just told us how to defeat a dragon :P it may be much harder than it sounds, I can understand that

nevertheless, thank you for all of the info on dragons in general, it'd actually be quite helpful if i ever think about getting a dragon...i may invest in cannons instead :)

not really Pream. Don't forget in most games 90% of the population never looks at the forums.I know for a fact because unless it's something which asks you to get on a forum or a bug,people don't bother reading forums.Also don't forget this post will most likely disappear when game starts because people will stop thinking about them for quite a while.

Pream
08-30-2011, 04:49 PM
that's a very good point, thank you for pointing that out :)