PDA

View Full Version : Castle Design Suggestion

alpha30ns
08-05-2008, 02:49 AM
i know this game probably already has the wall thing taken care of but i thought of this while playing forge on halo 3 lol.
(...maybe it could be included in dof 2 lol jk)

seeing as how some people like building there own castles and not having defualt ones i was thinking what if there was a castle editor that allows you to design your castle the way you want it before you start your mmo or skirmish game. like say you only have a certain amount of resources to design your castle, and there is a boundary so your castle wont take up the entire map. also you couldnt be able to stack walls next to each other. and have to have plots inbetween wall segments.

i know theres some problems to this but this is a short description. and i wanted to know what you thought about it.

frankein_fish
08-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Hmmm not too bad.
But it will be requiring alot of works so in any case its far away :D
But other than that its nice

ash12181987
08-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Stranger example, but like: The roller coaster designer in Roller Coaster Tycoon, kinda like?

The Witch King of Angmar
08-05-2008, 09:35 AM
That's what I was thinking. Wherever you build the castle, say into the side of a mountain, it should adapt to the terrain.

alpha30ns
08-05-2008, 10:37 PM
yeah or say in the mmo part you get your land then you can design your castle around the land or use a default castle.

(off topic) .... i hope the castles in this game dont have any major flaws in the design that would make it easy to take over.

raving
08-06-2008, 08:09 AM
every castle has his weak point. The good players know that spot and know hot to make it their strong point.

crex719
08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
every castle has his weak point. The good players know that spot and know hot to make it their strong point.

lots and lots of archers should do the trick!

Sharku
08-07-2008, 07:59 AM
lots and lots of archers should do the trick!Countered by lots and lots of catapults! :D

The Witch King of Angmar
08-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Countered by lots and lots of catapults! :D

Countered by lots and lots of calvalry! Back on topic, I wonder how the design goes for where walls are going to be placed on different walls of the castle? I never saw them all in a straight row.

Esculas the Mighty
08-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Countered by lots and lots of calvalry! Back on topic, I wonder how the design goes for where walls are going to be placed on different walls of the castle? I never saw them all in a straight row.

eh i dont think your gonna want to spam catapults alot more expensive then archers and even if u do the archers would still prob win considering ( did u ever think that catapults have top be maned? if they are then the archers an just shoot them problem solved and the castle also has long ranged trebs inside so the catapult will be fired at before u can get in range)

Mrdash
08-07-2008, 02:20 PM
You guys need to make a thread on story battling. That way you guys can fight before the game comes out. That way our threads dont go off topic.

Esculas the Mighty
08-07-2008, 09:54 PM
You guys need to make a thread on story battling. That way you guys can fight before the game comes out. That way our threads dont go off topic.

no one would post in it

Puppeteer
08-21-2008, 07:11 AM
omg just steal me idea why don't you? Attention all members: learn to read old topics! I've suggested and elaborated on this before -_-

wou129
08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
those batle things come in topic becose peeps want to exsplain echother somthing and mostly it runs out of hand then

so u cant do somthing like it in the of topic

(sorry fore my bad englich):D

alpha30ns
08-23-2008, 07:43 PM

i meant like a glitch in the game were there catapults can hit your catapults or walls and you cant.. i really hate that in games

omg just steal me idea why don't you? Attention all members: learn to read old topics! I've suggested and elaborated on this before -_-

i have looked through all the topics and none started by you have been suggested, ive even searched all the threads started by you on your profile and they are

Search: Threads Started By: Puppeteer

Map Editor (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Puppeteer

Moon and Water Magic (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Puppeteer
General Discussions

Sig Size Limit
Puppeteer
Off Topic

My O My (Multi-page thread 1 2)
Puppeteer
Off Topic

Hi DofF (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Puppeteer
Introductions

soo before you say you already suggested this make sure your proof is there because i sure havent seen it yet.

Esculas the Mighty
08-23-2008, 08:04 PM
omg LOL:D :D

yea but im sure every who wants to build there own castle to their own likeings have wondered about the editor

iceblast
08-24-2008, 04:18 AM
how do i see all my threads i created.

frankein_fish
08-24-2008, 05:41 AM
Click on ur own name, and then there should be a link: "find all threads made by this person"

frankein_fish
08-24-2008, 05:43 AM
Click on ur own name then click "view public profile", and then there should be a link: "find all threads made by this person"

Puppeteer
08-24-2008, 07:48 AM
I didn't post it in its own thread, funnily enough it was in a topic generically about defence and castle building. That is where the issue arose, where people were disheartened by not being able to make their own castles. Funny that!
So yeah, good research then. You've excelled yourself

alpha30ns
08-24-2008, 12:45 PM
hmm alright my bad i guess but i didnt see anything like it in the suggestions (being partially blind in finding things:p ) so i figured i was the only one.

but still it would be awesome to have in the game

nickson104
08-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Yeah it would but we covered this topic a few weeks ago in much greater detail castle designs, we suggested many types, free-build, blueprints (custom made in editor to certain dimensions) and one person even suggested rollercoaster tycoon style building i think

frankein_fish
08-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Yea.
Well i think its best if ur wall is built by some AI.
BTW sorry for the double psot i was editing the first one but somehow it just made a new post :(

nickson104
08-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Yea.
Well i think its best if ur wall is built by some AI.
BTW sorry for the double psot i was editing the first one but somehow it just made a new post :(

all is forgiven :)

kronlc
10-04-2008, 07:19 PM
HEh I wouldnt trust some of the noob masterz on here
to build there own castles they will nooob it all up and then
you will be liek omg he built triple layer walls
and now am I suppose to gets them out of that

ROFLFL lmaos dont they ever learn?

Esculas the Mighty
10-05-2008, 01:39 AM
HEh I wouldnt trust some of the noob masterz on here
to build there own castles they will nooob it all up and then
you will be liek omg he built triple layer walls
and now am I suppose to gets them out of that

ROFLFL lmaos dont they ever learn?

LOL dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Puppeteer
10-05-2008, 04:41 AM
There would be some price fixed, an initial one for using your own design + "x" amount per wall piece, "y" per tower and then "z" for the area it covers.

nickson104
10-05-2008, 03:19 PM
There would be some price fixed, an initial one for using your own design + "x" amount per wall piece, "y" per tower and then "z" for the area it covers.

Sounds cool

The Witch King of Angmar
10-05-2008, 06:08 PM
That would be pretty good and the better the position, like on a high hill, the more expensive it would be.

Mrdash
10-06-2008, 12:37 PM

And then for us er not noobs... it would be +"1/2 x per piece, "1/2 y" peer tower and "1/2 z" for the area. ( GAH algerbra)

Mwuahahaha.

Puppeteer
10-06-2008, 02:59 PM
That makes no sense Mrdash. That 1/2 'x' per piece means you've given the wall section a value, and halved it for no reason. Why not give it that amount as 'x' in the first place? Don't try and algerbra me! :p

The Witch King of Angmar
10-06-2008, 03:11 PM
I think price should just be based on wall size and towers etc.

nickson104
10-06-2008, 04:46 PM

And gates dont forget gates :p

*has images of elven footsoldiers walking in circles aimlessly trying to get out of a fort with no gate*

Esculas the Mighty
10-06-2008, 05:05 PM
And gates dont forget gates :p

*has images of elven footsoldiers walking in circles aimlessly trying to get out of a fort with no gate*

*has images of dragon city with only a gate*

Mrdash
10-06-2008, 09:48 PM
That makes no sense Mrdash. That 1/2 'x' per piece means you've given the wall section a value, and halved it for no reason. Why not give it that amount as 'x' in the first place? Don't try and algerbra me! :p

GAH MY BRAIN!

Puppeteer
10-07-2008, 11:39 AM
He, Mrdash not that hard to understand :p

I did think of that, but then again what about the area it covers? That should be a factor, else these 2 castles could have the same price:
1). A castle with a large area wall perimeter, in a circle with gates and towers.
2). A castle with a medium area wall perimeter, with some corners and curves with gates and towers.

Mrdash
10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Are you calling me stupid buddy? Huh? You wanna take this outside?Er..uh...Offline?

Anyway good point Puppet area should make a difference.

nickson104
10-08-2008, 03:37 PM
*has images of dragon city with only a gate*

It is very accessible and it allows us to get a nice summers breeze :) :p

This idea should be possible and brilliant, but perhaps it is a bit late for it to be developed now?

The Witch King of Angmar
10-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Well, whatever the prices are based on, I'm sure they will be ok.

nickson104
10-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Well, whatever the prices are based on, I'm sure they will be ok.

If they do decide to change their minds and perhaps try to implement a system such as this that is...
They may just stick to the preset castle...

Puppeteer
10-08-2008, 05:04 PM
*starts to cry*

kronlc
10-09-2008, 10:14 PM
I actually like the idea of the castles building themselves
as long as they come up looking good' then all good.
Last thing we we want is for them to try implement something at
the last minute and having to wait longer for the game because of it :eek:

Sorry for the second post but what I should have
said is as long as they come up good ......but are not all the
same because that would kill the uniqueness.

thanks..

Joseph Visscher
10-10-2008, 12:04 AM
kronlc you do that alot, please stop double posting, use the edit button on your posts please. if I see you do it again I'll give a infraction. ;)

On note of the walls: there are still wall upgrades for humans mostly, so stronghold walls can be changed a little bit, depending on the upgrades you buy.

nickson104
10-10-2008, 02:08 PM
kronlc you do that alot, please stop double posting, use the edit button on your posts please. if I see you do it again I'll give a infraction. ;)

On note of the walls: there are still wall upgrades for humans mostly, so stronghold walls can be changed a little bit, depending on the upgrades you buy.

I guess that is a small mercy that we must take, a little free will... What do these upgrades consist of? catapults, pots of pitch, Wooden log trap;) , banners? :)

Lordadamar
02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
on the topic of wall stacking, im mixed because if the game is trying to stay close to historical castles some had thin walls respectivly 10-16 feet wide and there are some with 30 foot wide walls now obvivously if you were pearched up on hill where only your gate house where accessable u wouldnt need huge thick walls but if my piece of land that left 90% of my walls attackable I would want huge think walls. I could just see someone showing up with 10 catapults aimed at my walls tand beating them down before I could even counter attack..

If the game doesnt offer thicker walls as an option for more defense with more costs the odds of you winning a massive siege are slim to none

The Witch King of Angmar
02-07-2009, 03:27 PM
I'd expect they'd give you thicker walls or some type of defense bonus. They won't give one side all the power. It should be based on strategy and not on overpowering.

Phylast
04-03-2009, 01:33 AM
As I was ogling over the beautiful new screen shots you guys posted, I remembered that the towns for the most part aren't going to be able to be customized by the player. I could have this wrong, but from what I gathered everytime you want to build a building, the building is auto-placed in a set location. If this is true, then key buildings may be placed in a location that may be easier to siege than others. These key buildings in weak locations may sway the tide of a battle. I'm mainly concerned about the following: depending on your race and location, some key buildings may be at a greater risk than your opponent. Providing a innate tactical disadvantage completely out of the player's control.

Here I'm assuming that buildings are auto-placed and that buildings allow access to abilities and creatures as long as the structure is standing.

Any thoughts?

nickson104
04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
As I was ogling over the beautiful new screen shots you guys posted, I remembered that the towns for the most part aren't going to be able to be customized by the player. I could have this wrong, but from what I gathered everytime you want to build a building, the building is auto-placed in a set location. If this is true, then key buildings may be placed in a location that may be easier to siege than others. These key buildings in weak locations may sway the tide of a battle. I'm mainly concerned about the following: depending on your race and location, some key buildings may be at a greater risk than your opponent. Providing a innate tactical disadvantage completely out of the player's control.

Here I'm assuming that buildings are auto-place and that buildings allow access to abilities and creatures as long as the structure is standing.

Any thoughts?

not auto place.... build plots...

Phylast
04-03-2009, 03:51 PM
So the player gets to choose where buildings are being built?

nickson104
04-04-2009, 06:22 PM
So the player gets to choose where buildings are being built?

out of a certain number of prearranged build spots

TaTa456
04-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I had a few questions about the building portion of the game, also with a few suggestions. sticking on topic first id like to say that wall building would be nice if you had a choice (some players arent as creative as others) between automatically generated walls forming your castle and a manual build mode where of course some sort of system was put in place to give limitations to players in terms of area covered by castle walls, amount of walls, towers, gates, fortifications and so on.

Another thing, i read on the main site under Features called "Original Base Building Approach" and, correct me if im wrong, but basically its saying that not only our castle walls but also our city buildings will be automatically generated by the AI.. Now to me that doesnt sound very original at all (atleast not personally original) I was again wondering if there was going to be a manual build mode where you could build and design the layout of your city in and/or around your castle.

Ive played most if not all the RTS games out there, and enjoyed many different things from them all, my favourite being AoE2 (off topic it seems) but the reason I am bringing this up is because it gives you the freedom to build your own base, and I was wondering if you start every game you play with your base already set up and ready to go, only making you have to worry about building your units and researching/upgrading your technologies.

Sorry to bore you if I did, I hope some people can help me figure this stuff out. Ive seen the screenshots of the game and am very excited for its release... Is there a release date for it yet?

The Witch King of Angmar
04-06-2009, 05:03 PM
To answer some of your questions, there is not a set release date yet but hopefully it will be in Q3 of 09. As for the buildings in the city, I know that a town center will be already built but aside from that I'm not sure. Most of the other buildings will be placed where you choose them to be outside of the castle. The castle itself will have building plots but personally I'm fine with that.

TaTa456
04-06-2009, 10:37 PM
well I hope i can get a definite answer to my question, unless its not available to the public. the game sounds very unique and has a lot of new and interesting aspects that other rts games havent had. I am really looking forward to picking this game up. And if the game is anywhere as fun as turning the page on the book from the main page, then it will probably be the best game ever made. :D

Andy Joslin
04-07-2009, 06:58 AM
I had a few questions about the building portion of the game, also with a few suggestions. sticking on topic first id like to say that wall building would be nice if you had a choice (some players arent as creative as others) between automatically generated walls forming your castle and a manual build mode where of course some sort of system was put in place to give limitations to players in terms of area covered by castle walls, amount of walls, towers, gates, fortifications and so on.
You will not get a choice for castles and towers, however you do have a choice for almost everything else. Automatic fortresses are necessary.

One of the reasons the Stronghold games, for example, weren't as much fun was because some people could make amazingly overpowered strongholds. Did you ever play a game where someone made a stronghold completely of towers, with a catapult/ballista on each tower and a horde of fire-arrow archers? It was nearly impossible to stop (unless you had hundreds of your own catapults).

With our approach, players' strongholds are balanced. Wait until you play it before making too much judgement.

Also, as said before, almost every building besides fortifications are built on a plot of your choice.

TaTa456
04-07-2009, 11:25 AM
ok you do have a point there some people would find a way to make unbelievably over-powered castles. you brought up memories of the castles i encountered back when i used to play stronghold lol.

will the castle builds be completely randomly generated everytime? and will it be a different build everytime? i assume that the castles will carry out into the next game in the mmorts mode.

also what will the dragon castle/strongholds look like? i havent seen any screenshots of the dragon race or maybe i missed them. hard to imagine that a dragon race would be a competent builder lol, will they have like natural fortress type strongholds that are built directly into the sides of mountains or possibly just be a mountain with vast cave systems? that would be awesome but im sure whatever you have planned for the dragon race will be badass.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-07-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm not exactly sure what will happen with how castles will be generated but I'd expect that there would be some differentiation between them. Dragons, however, will not be in the game but hopefully in DoF2 or an expansion.

LiTos456
04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
You will not get a choice for castles and towers, however you do have a choice for almost everything else. Automatic fortresses are necessary.

One of the reasons the Stronghold games, for example, weren't as much fun was because some people could make amazingly overpowered strongholds. Did you ever play a game where someone made a stronghold completely of towers, with a catapult/ballista on each tower and a horde of fire-arrow archers? It was nearly impossible to stop (unless you had hundreds of your own catapults).

With our approach, players' strongholds are balanced. Wait until you play it before making too much judgement.

Also, as said before, almost every building besides fortifications are built on a plot of your choice.

I agree with Tata actually... What he was talking about is placing the walls. But not the towers and catapults. We want to be able to place walls however we want, so that each stronghold looks unique. Without this, many strongholds, especially their outside, would look harshly alike.

TaTa456
04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm not exactly sure what will happen with how castles will be generated but I'd expect that there would be some differentiation between them. Dragons, however, will not be in the game but hopefully in DoF2 or an expansion.

the main site says that there are 4 races, dragons, elves, men and orcs.. i thought that was all for the first DoF game release.. is it not?

Kell Aset
04-07-2009, 02:13 PM
No, dragons as a race will not show up at start, perhaps in expansion.

nickson104
04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
the main site says that there are 4 races, dragons, elves, men and orcs.. i thought that was all for the first DoF game release.. is it not?

It was planned but due to time issues and unseen problems they have had to be set back, the idea has been laid to rest for now but there is a chance they may feature in an expansion as a lot of the work has already been done for the race, they just couldnt possibly finish the dragon race and get the game out any time soon it just isnt feasable or so they say XD

Kire
05-16-2009, 01:51 PM

i like this automatic idea for same reason, but please make many different versions of castles (not just 3-6, but at least 10 =P ).

fyro11
05-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Although I've been a fan of the 'build anywhere' games coming from the AOE series, I fell in love with BFME1, and I hope this just builds upon the successes of that to the xth degree.

MrBlack103
05-18-2009, 02:47 AM
Agreed wholeheartedly. That was the thing that totally ruined BFME2 for me. That and the huge battalions that took up half of my command points.

fyro11
05-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Agreed wholeheartedly. That was the thing that totally ruined BFME2 for me. That and the huge battalions that took up half of my command points.
I never did like the two-row horse batallions. That was the worst implementation of a batallion system to date, imo. The physics in unit movement definitely felt more realistic in BFME1, with more dynamic batallions. In BFME2, units could only function in the rectangles they were bundled in.

The buildplot is more easier, and allows one to focus on other aspects of gameplay, and it's worked for me. I remember one of my friends showed me the buildplot system initially and that immediately turned me off, however a little later down the line I came back to the game and trying it out made me actually consider the system, and hence like it.

Esculas the Mighty
05-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Although I've been a fan of the 'build anywhere' games coming from the AOE series, I fell in love with BFME1, and I hope this just builds upon the successes of that to the xth degree.

sucks 4 the guy whos good at strategy building though

nickson104
05-19-2009, 01:44 AM
sucks 4 the guy whos good at strategy building though

Yeah but you either get the people who are good and fast, the people who are good and slow, the people who are terrible or the wall spammers :p I dont think I have come across another type of building style ;) :p I like to think I'm a 'good but slow' :p XD

Generation
05-19-2009, 05:42 PM
I agree with u Nickson

MagicOPromotion
05-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Unless I am completely obtuse and I would yield to that claim, I cannot find a "last comments" page here.

I can find the "last comment" singular, but nothing like you can find on forum, where you can pull down pages of the last comments.

Sometimes people find older photos I have completely missed, and comment on them, which helps me find a worthy coin to view. But once the next person comments, it is no longer readily apparent.

Since this site allows you to show the last photos posted in 1, 7 and 14 day periods, is it possible to do the same with comments?

Thanks

Mark
_______
=== XRumer 5.0 Palladium (http://www.botmasternet.com) RULEZ! ===

zach12wqasxz
06-27-2009, 06:01 PM
i think if you added a castle editor to the game(with all of its other amazing features) this game would go down in history as the greatest strategy game of all time and in ten years from now(if its out by then lol!!!!!!!) other gameing companies would look to this game for anything that they needed to make thier games better

Kire
06-27-2009, 06:47 PM
I am a big strategic defense builder in a stylish way (so its very fortified (but realisticaly not overreacting) and looks beautiful =)) in most games and i would take always defense over offense (not fan of attacking =) and thats why i suck in warcraft 3 battles), tho i might kinda miss some stuff. But dont like when ppl overreact with walls and towers and those stuff make really pain so as i already said they made fine decision.

Aametherar
06-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Heh, i've towered a few times in WC3...but it was in front of the enemy base <.< Only a few times, I think its a weak cheap risky strategy, although those are sometimes the best. Once I took out one of the top human players in WC3 by steam tank rushing him...man he was angry lol. Anyways i'm more of a "The best defense is a good offense" kinda guy. As long as they're the one struggling to keep going economically i'm free to do as I please, the key is a good combination of micro and macro control.

In any case I do enjoy a good siege and slower paced strategic gameplay, though I doubt this will be slower paced, I always enjoyed 10 min no rush rules though...Just nuf time to hit the unit cap in games for me heheh. In any case, i've never met a slow player who could beat a fast paced player in either fast or slow style games.

wills370
08-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Would be coool where if you had a standered built castle you had the ability to make SMALL modifications. E.g. have a set amount of rescources for custimisation if you wanted to build a few extra towers on one side or somthing like that. Would make every castle alittle diffrent also . :)

would have to be locked once enemyies are close though otherwise you would use it to clear a breach :P

Yes i know thinking alittle far ahead but I CANT HELP IT :D

sneaky_squirrel
08-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I thought we would make our castles from scratch in a "limited map area".

Puppeteer
08-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Would be coool where if you had a standered built castle you had the ability to make SMALL modifications. E.g. have a set amount of rescources for custimisation if you wanted to build a few extra towers on one side or somthing like that. Would make every castle alittle diffrent also . :)

would have to be locked once enemyies are close though otherwise you would use it to clear a breach :P

Yes i know thinking alittle far ahead but I CANT HELP IT :D

There is customisation, I do believe. To an extent, of course. I'm not sure though, it's been too long...

The Witch King of Angmar
08-28-2009, 08:41 PM
According to my knowledge, this kind of customization is possible, though, I'm not sure how customization will go as far as wall expansion. :confused:

Sauron_9Gods9_Ldr
09-03-2009, 12:23 PM
I think the designing your castle should be like STRONGHOLD that's a game where designing your castle was easy enough but the game got boring and glicthy. bad on topic i don't think a forge or build out your custom design castle is a good idea at all considering people will copy the best design and then you have 1 type of siege and one design this happens in warcraft 3 tower defenses i would think there's wouldn't be at all like that. This idea (no offense) sounds like a slacker way to avoid pure Strategy which is kinda missing the point of DoF. i would like to customize design my stuff like that and have an interface for versus situations.

Darathor
09-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Whether it's with building plots or free-placement walls, there will always be a "best design" or something for your walls. Once someone finds it out and tells everyone, everyone will copy it until it's nerfed or someone finds a strategy to counter it.

wills370
09-04-2009, 04:26 AM
I think giving people the flexabilty with a set design for modifications will allow people to have diffrent casteles as there will be no best 1 design following the style of your gameplay, e.g. do you want ports for calvery attacks to rush out or a cat there instead.

xsacha
09-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Will customization be available at the start or will that be added later in a patch?
I can see what you're saying with Stronghold. Do you think the customization was what made it glitchy? There is all that extra stuff they have to support.

I'd be OK with it being added in later with a patch if it is needed to avoid bugs.

wills370
09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Will customization be available at the start or will that be added later in a patch?
I can see what you're saying with Stronghold. Do you think the customization was what made it glitchy? There is all that extra stuff they have to support.

I'd be OK with it being added in later with a patch if it is needed to avoid bugs.

Agreed or even an expantion would be cool. Where you have lots of models to suit diffrent landscapes etc.

Darathor
09-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I believe that you will be able to customize your walls and castle but I don't know how extensively.

wills370
09-07-2009, 05:31 AM
I believe that you will be able to customize your walls and castle but I don't know how extensively.

lets just hope they meet the balance :) im thinking it wont be to dramatic changes but enough to make your castle your own. :)

willrockyo1
02-21-2010, 08:34 PM
i know this game probably already has the wall thing taken care of but i thought of this while playing forge on halo 3 lol.
(...maybe it could be included in dof 2 lol jk)

seeing as how some people like building there own castles and not having defualt ones i was thinking what if there was a castle editor that allows you to design your castle the way you want it before you start your mmo or skirmish game. like say you only have a certain amount of resources to design your castle, and there is a boundary so your castle wont take up the entire map. also you couldnt be able to stack walls next to each other. and have to have plots inbetween wall segments.

i know theres some problems to this but this is a short description. and i wanted to know what you thought about it.

This is an incredible suggestion. The more customizable the wall the better people will feel about this game, guaranteed. No one likes having the same cookie cutter positions, even if you can upgrade the various components.

Alex Walz
02-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Beta testers will get to play around with the scenario design editor and who knows, maybe we'll take some fan-made strongholds, balance them up, and add them to the game.

Also, we will be revamping the wall construction. They'll still be preset, but you will have at least a dozen different formations you can build.

Unen
02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
but you will have at least a dozen different formations you can build.

Now thats something I like to hear :D

GPS51
02-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Right I would that after 20 designs it would get really confusing. Have many "balanced" build plans sounds like a great way to go.

Swift sword
02-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Hah! Just what I suggested in my thread: A set of different formations, for example a star-shaped city or other shapes. Nice to hear it's been/going to be revamped.

HolyPollo
02-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Beta testers will get to play around with the scenario design editor and who knows, maybe we'll take some fan-made strongholds, balance them up, and add them to the game.

Also, we will be revamping the wall construction. They'll still be preset, but you will have at least a dozen different formations you can build.

That's neat. I know eventually people will know the strategies for different wall types and configurations. I'm glad that Reverie is open enough for player submission to keep things fresh and interesting

welshie
02-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Hah! Just what I suggested in my thread: A set of different formations, for example a star-shaped city or other shapes. Nice to hear it's been/going to be revamped.

this has always been the case. lol i think someone got scared and gave out another expression but since i joined, you always had the choice of many wall designs and layouts all with their advantages and disadvantages, I.e. wanting to just go size rather than defensive or defence rather than size comes with their own problems :)

DarkMaster
02-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Meh, when it comes to size bigger isn't necessarily better. Think of how long it would take to get your archers to where they are needed. Of course, you can take a lot of damage in a bigger stronghold...

Negthareas
02-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I think limiting the player to selecting from numerous different designs is one of the best solutions to this "problem".

blackfang
02-24-2010, 12:55 AM
I Want A Lot Of Designs!

DarkMaster
02-24-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm not so worried about castles looking the same, but the terrain around them. If every map was a clone of the previous, I'd pull my hair out.

welshie
02-24-2010, 04:27 AM
well the more designs the more player created, and as for the size that matter thing, your right its not, and i didnt say that but some people will want to focus on workers/rescourses/quests rather that seiging/being beseiged so their aim will not to create a amazingly hard wall to destroy and be more on the emphasys of more houses more farms ect, plus you cannot forget the price a simple wall will be alot cheaper than a very elegant desgined wall... i for one have a mind in what i want it to be and hope they have a design to go with this. So i do hope they have lots of designs to pick from and one of these to be as i want it :)

Negthareas
02-24-2010, 09:48 PM
well the more designs the more player created, and as for the size that matter thing, your right its not, and i didnt say that but some people will want to focus on workers/rescourses/quests rather that seiging/being beseiged so their aim will not to create a amazingly hard wall to destroy and be more on the emphasys of more houses more farms ect, plus you cannot forget the price a simple wall will be alot cheaper than a very elegant desgined wall... i for one have a mind in what i want it to be and hope they have a design to go with this. So i do hope they have lots of designs to pick from and one of these to be as i want it :)

I am sure that when the game comes out - most of us will be satisfied and pleasently surprised by what the devs have put out.

DarkMaster
02-24-2010, 11:35 PM
I am sure that when the game comes out - most of us will be satisfied and pleasently surprised by what the devs have put out.
Same here. I'm really banking on being able to create a clifftop fortress with a massive curtain wall and really crowded streets, made to look "lived in":D

Trifler
12-04-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm all for modular wall construction (I like modular design in everything!). This would make a good addition in an expansion.

Zackreaver
12-06-2010, 06:00 PM
I didn't post it in its own thread, funnily enough it was in a topic generically about defence and castle building. That is where the issue arose, where people were disheartened by not being able to make their own castles. Funny that!
So yeah, good research then. You've excelled yourself

It's not like it matters anyway, if you ever feel someone is stealing an idea, just link to the thread that came first. These threads are date stamped though they all come in different names, one of the things I try to do when I bring up these idea's is say "I have tried to find another thread for this topic but couldn't find one, if anyone knows of a thread where this is discussed please link it"

That way if either thread becomes popular the link carries people over to the first one. It's a great way to keep old threads alive.

SonicMonkey
01-20-2011, 12:28 PM
being able to build castles like stronghold would be great, but not likely

DarkLord7854
01-20-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm all for modular wall construction (I like modular design in everything!). This would make a good addition in an expansion.

+1

Love designing stuff. A quick-setup/default option is always nice but having the ability to edit it further and make it unique is very much welcome.

Overlawd
01-20-2011, 10:53 PM
It's a great idea, But I've gotta agree with the first poster..It's would be nice, But It's a long way off. As an example, Forge was something they Bungie wanted to do from the very beginning, Not 2nd idea. So, As much I personally would love to see it...I would say they're gonna need some time. If they ever decided it. PS-Hopefully they do! :p

thanius
01-20-2011, 11:12 PM
what can we place on the wall troop? weapon? and how many?

Negthareas
01-21-2011, 10:22 AM
what can we place on the wall troop? weapon? and how many?
Troops can go on the wall, though I "believe" it was changed to prevent mounted units. Depending on the wall, there are placements where you can build stuff like trebuchets, oil and stone tippers, as well as hordings to further protect archers on the wall. So, there are places where you can build weapons, but you cannot move weapons up onto a wall.