PDA

View Full Version : What is the devs views on Co-playing, and a couple of other questions.

Possut
08-08-2011, 04:38 PM
I'm wondering how the developers look at co-playing? With this I mean that two or more players sit the same account and work on it for the most effective use of resources and time.

I'm not sure how useful this would be in DoF though, but I'm sure you know my chain of thoughts. If not, I'll try to explain further.

The other question I have is What do you gain by attacking and defeating an Player opponents base and stronghold? As far as I understand it you will not take the base over, and if this is the case, it brings me to my second question: On the Online map, what is the actual long term goal on a map, if you cannot expand beyond your first base? I'm talking long term PvP.

vantagal
08-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I assume that it would be frowned upon - since you may gain a slight advantage over other players in the kingdom by being able to build up more production/researches and such - even if not online.

As for attacking enemy keeps/strongholds - I'm not 100% on this personally, but i assume it will just neutralize their entire force and deplete their resources which will be given to you (the attacker). This will give you a stronger advantage on your neighbors.

If only their was a scoreboard/leader system to see who has the most attacks/looted the most etc.

Hope this helps

//vantagal

Possut
08-08-2011, 05:29 PM
I assume that it would be frowned upon - since you may gain a slight advantage over other players in the kingdom by being able to build up more production/researches and such - even if not online.

As for attacking enemy keeps/strongholds - I'm not 100% on this personally, but i assume it will just neutralize their entire force and deplete their resources which will be given to you (the attacker). This will give you a stronger advantage on your neighbors.

If only their was a scoreboard/leader system to see who has the most attacks/looted the most etc.

Hope this helps

//vantagal

Indeed, it should be frowned upon. I'm just thinking Tribal Wars on this so much. Maybe too much when it comes to base attacking.

I would love to see some sort of score boards or even some PvPvE bases which you can battle for and control. Maybe even alliance wise as well, where you have to be 2-3+ players to take over a stronghold, and then another 2-3+ players can battle for it, or PvE forces.

Would the PvPvE base fighting be a good suggestion you think?

vantagal
08-08-2011, 05:32 PM
That is a good concern, though i'm not sure how they would combat it. I don't think the player base will be as big as browser games such as Tribal Wars - not at the start at least.

In it's current state, even on a good system, there are some mild lag spikes/performance issues. I wouldn't expect to see 2 - 3 players fully fielding an army without expecting the game to completely freeze.

Possut
08-08-2011, 05:38 PM
That is a good concern, though i'm not sure how they would combat it. I don't think the player base will be as big as browser games such as Tribal Wars - not at the start at least.

In it's current state, even on a good system, there are some mild lag spikes/performance issues. I wouldn't expect to see 2 - 3 players fully fielding an army without expecting the game to completely freeze.

Actually I haven't played it yet, so I have no idea how it actually works. But to my understanding, PvP is only (correct me if I'm wrong) about battles, and not online map strategies and base control?

I'm not saying that it should be like Tribal Wars, but when I saw this game I was imagining it working similarly to Tribal Wars, but including the RTS war part, with players taking new bases and holding them. Atm, I just don't see the long term PvP and MMO part in it. But as I said, I don't know how the game is, and I shouldn't start to speculate in how it should be ;P

Possut
08-08-2011, 05:41 PM
This game is only an MMO in the sense that:

1.) Your castle and army is persistent
2.) It has an online matchmaking system

Though as I quote this (and as I kinda suspected) there won't be any map strategy going on between players.

Alex Walz
08-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey guys. :)

I'm wondering how the developers look at co-playing? With this I mean that two or more players sit the same account and work on it for the most effective use of resources and time.
Co-playing is fine, but it won't give you that much of an advantage in a persistent evolving environment. Your town will continue to build and gather resources regardless of whether or not someone is playing.

I think it might be a better idea to have the two players build up separate strongholds that can form a strong ally both economically and militarily.

The other question I have is What do you gain by attacking and defeating an Player opponents base and stronghold? As far as I understand it you will not take the base over, and if this is the case, it brings me to my second question: On the Online map, what is the actual long term goal on a map, if you cannot expand beyond your first base? I'm talking long term PvP.
In Kingdom Wars (the single-player Risk-type campaign), you will be able to keep and control conquered towns - just as the AI will keep any towns it conquers.

In Online Kingdom, the damaged town will remain in the player's hands for reconstruction but the victor will be paid off with looted resources and coveted Influence points, which can be spent on research or DLC or to speed up construction times.

We may add a new mode, or an offshoot of the Online Kingdom, where players can control more than one stronghold in the future, but right now it's just one homeland and a number of army camps.

The end game, after completing the campaign, will be to become the strongest player in your realm, preferably with the support of a strong guild. PvP stronghold sieges and alliances won't be fully implemented until very late in the beta, but we will post some more information on how these work and how a player or a team of players can dominate the world map.

Possut
08-09-2011, 03:10 AM
Thanks for your answers, in my two threads. Even though I'd love to see an Online-mode where you can conquer player bases, I still like how the game is set up anyway.

I love how you are open to new stuff in the future and you are doing a great job listening and tallking to the community. Great work!