PDA

View Full Version : dawn of Fantasy is labled MMO?

Torgrim
08-06-2011, 09:07 AM
I really don't see it, how is this game a MMO, or will it be a MMO closer to release?

What we have now is like Shogun 2 and that's not a MMO.

Jardian
08-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Any game that connects loads of people online is a MMO. Examples that will make you go wtf lol

Diablo MMO
Phantsay Star Online.
Guild wars.
Star Craft. MMORTS

You dont need a open world where you run into people like roachs to be a MMO.

Torgrim
08-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Any game that connects loads of people online is a MMO. Examples that will make you go wtf lol

Diablo MMO
Phantsay Star Online.
Guild wars.
Star Craft. MMORTS

You dont need a open world where you run into people like roachs to be a MMO.

Diablo,StarCraft,Guildwars are not labled as MMO by the developers none of them are because they are not MMOs.

never plated Phantasy star so i can't comment on that one.

TheGreatest
08-06-2011, 10:58 AM
MMO does not mean World of Warcraft.

Torgrim
08-06-2011, 11:12 AM
MMO does not mean World of Warcraft.

No it doesn't but it is after all called massively multiplayer online (MMO).

Having only chat and some PVP matches is hardly massively multiplayer, It's singleplayer with multiplayer option.

Jardian
08-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Dont matter if the Devs of the game lable it as MMo or not. The game Industry as a whole Labales them as such.

Let me expand on this a bit. MMO is a very broad term for a family of game or programs for that matter. Then it brances off into Presistant world, Instance goes on and on then you have more classes FPS, Action so on and so forth.

Torgrim
08-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Dont matter if the Devs of the game lable it as MMo or not. The game Industry as a whole Labales them as such.

What? never ever heard that the industry lables all the games MMO that have any form of multiplay function.
Care to link the information or are you just grasping for straws to defend dawn of fantasy MMO lable.

Jardian
08-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Any form of Multiplayer function is not what I said.

But if you can connect thousands of people through the client interface then yes. I dont have to provide you a link because I like the Devs here built games and have for the past 15 years.

in the past 5 years you have seen games like Halo with a MMo tag. MAG with a MMo tag. Vindictus which is instance RPG like Diablo 2 with the tag. Tons of Free to play shooters. So there is your link look at games in the past 5 years ROFL.

As I said when I did a Edit p above MMO is a broad grouping then it gets small and smaller as you move down game type Presistant world instance and so on.

Henry Martin
08-06-2011, 01:39 PM
I really don't see it, how is this game a MMO, or will it be a MMO closer to release?

What we have now is like Shogun 2 and that's not a MMO.

Its all expectation. You have a certain expectation of what an MMO or any of the other genres should be. There is a whole thread about this in the beta forum. There is no extra fine detail description set in stone of what any genre is. If a game has elements from that genre it can be labeled that. So genres are not "If you dont have all aspects of this then you cant label your game as this".

I know someone not to long ago that wouldn't call a game an RPG because of certain expectations that he has for what should be in there. Because the game didnt have all that was on his check list he didnt want to call it an RPG.

Now I know what you are getting at. DOF right now is light on the MMO aspects (which you can google right now hundreds of games that are considered MMOs and its just PvP). There is plans to add more content to the game as time goes by after launch (the devs sound like a broken record lol, but so do all the players). A lot of modern MMOs are just PvP and nothing else.

You can take this post however, but all comes down to what you expect

MMO definition: "A massively multiplayer online game. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world"

DOF both has a lot of people on at once and has a persistent world. What people are most expecting out of dof is the interaction of players on the world map meaning being like a Browser games. We are adding other was for people to interact and if the world map feature is the only feature not in dof at all, its still an MMO.

Joseph Visscher
08-07-2011, 10:49 AM
(in terms when released, pvp vs homeland is not in yet)

Thousands of thousands of players that are able to attack your homeland...
Take an Army on the world map and be able to match up against another army of almost equal strength with thousands and thousands of players within many different regions...
Take your army and assault another players' homeland matched against thousands and thousands of other players...
Your armies and homeland are fully persistent, your income continues to produce even after your logged out.
All Resources, such as trees even regrow while you are offline.

If dof isn't going to be a true 'MMO', then I wouldn't consider any game being class as a 'MMO'.

dmcheatw
08-13-2011, 08:14 PM
so when all the features are in i will be able to send a unit to scout, and he can scout for hundreds of miles, continually coming across new castles and civilizations, many of which are controlled by other humans?

Vendayn
08-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Will we be able to trade with other players? Like if my friend joined the game, I could sell/trade/give him resources? Or just other people in general? Trading is always a big one for online games.

Torgrim
08-15-2011, 10:10 AM
so when all the features are in i will be able to send a unit to scout, and he can scout for hundreds of miles, continually coming across new castles and civilizations, many of which are controlled by other humans?

Don't count on it. their reason for label it a MMO is that you can chat with other players and you can fight other players in matchmaking kind of battles, no open world whatsoever.

GPS51
08-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Yeah most folks expect an MMORPG and Dof isn't that hence "non open world" style gameplay.

dmcheatw
08-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Don't count on it. their reason for label it a MMO is that you can chat with other players and you can fight other players in matchmaking kind of battles, no open world whatsoever.

well, i see labels and terminology relating to the gaming industry are a rather fluid thing.

Enlightener
08-23-2011, 03:46 AM
In the game Features it says :

"Innovative MMORTS Approach

Wage war with neighboring regions or complete countless hours of quests as you unveil the dark secrets of Mythador while managing a persistent kingdom and economy with thousands of other players. Socialize, trade, forge alliances and - best of all - battle against other players worldwclasse, defeat their armies, and burn their towns! "

I'd really love to see that .

This game is very neat and has a lot of potential . Im playing it and despite some minor flaws , it is one of the best and most original games i played so far.

But I probably wont buy it if its just an RTS game with pvp matchmaking and chat interface ...

crazyb0b
08-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Its all expectation. You have a certain expectation of what an MMO or any of the other genres should be. There is a whole thread about this in the beta forum. There is no extra fine detail description set in stone of what any genre is. If a game has elements from that genre it can be labeled that. So genres are not "If you dont have all aspects of this then you cant label your game as this".

I know someone not to long ago that wouldn't call a game an RPG because of certain expectations that he has for what should be in there. Because the game didnt have all that was on his check list he didnt want to call it an RPG.

Now I know what you are getting at. DOF right now is light on the MMO aspects (which you can google right now hundreds of games that are considered MMOs and its just PvP). There is plans to add more content to the game as time goes by after launch (the devs sound like a broken record lol, but so do all the players). A lot of modern MMOs are just PvP and nothing else.

You can take this post however, but all comes down to what you expect

MMO definition: "A massively multiplayer online game. A computer game in which a large number of players can simultaneously interact in a persistent world"

DOF both has a lot of people on at once and has a persistent world. What people are most expecting out of dof is the interaction of players on the world map meaning being like a Browser games. We are adding other was for people to interact and if the world map feature is the only feature not in dof at all, its still an MMO.

I think the one thing this is missing that would make people think of it more of an MMO is an attachment to your Hero. At the moment he is just some arbitrary dude who you can make kill stuff but that is about it. He is lacking customization to really immerse people.
Let us change their appearance, pick which skills they can use, and pick what type of armor/weapon (cloth/light/heavy and melee/ranged/magic). Maybe being able to choose a name for them as well.
As it currently stands, everyone from every city with the same race as you have the exact same "avatar". It is super annoying.

Joseph Visscher
08-24-2011, 04:04 PM
I think the one thing this is missing that would make people think of it more of an MMO is an attachment to your Hero. At the moment he is just some arbitrary dude who you can make kill stuff but that is about it. He is lacking customization to really immerse people.
Let us change their appearance, pick which skills they can use, and pick what type of armor/weapon (cloth/light/heavy and melee/ranged/magic). Maybe being able to choose a name for them as well.
As it currently stands, everyone from every city with the same race as you have the exact same "avatar". It is super annoying.

That's planned for after release, I'm sure most of you will change your opinion after release and all systems are functional including full homeland battles and complete 100% persistency.

Gongora
08-24-2011, 04:46 PM
and name him, we got to be able to name our hero!

crazyb0b
08-24-2011, 06:09 PM
That's planned for after release, I'm sure most of you will change your opinion after release and all systems are functional including full homeland battles and complete 100% persistency.

That is absolutely spectacular then. I am sure the ability to customize your Hero will be a feature that brings in a ton of people all on its own. Also, if you turn it into a partial cash shop type deal with certain "fashion" items (think stupid flashy crap) only being able to be gotten through the shop it will generate a ton of revenue for you guys. As hard as it is to believe, MMO gamers are fashion whores :-P Just look at ANY f2p mmo out there. People spend hundreds upon hundreds on fashion items.