PDA

View Full Version : Micro or Macro?

Mrdash
07-28-2008, 09:41 PM
I just want to see what all of you guys will chose.

what will it be....?

Macro or Micro?

I myself will like the micro. Sit back reasearch. Build up. Defend. Be a King =D

Esculas the Mighty
07-28-2008, 09:53 PM

what will it be....?

Macro or Micro?

I myself will like the micro. Sit back reasearch. Build up. Defend. Be a King =D

agree Sit back reasearch. Build up. Defend. Be a King. Bribe other players. sneak attacks. naval supremacy. secureing elven broders. loseing to 1 of a million dragons players whom will earn my respect( i look forward to that )

ash12181987
07-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Not really sure, I always start out playing a more Macro game, and then moving to a more micro approach.

The economics system is something I find increasingly fascinating, tweaking things in that will likely be rewarding. I look forward to the Microeconomics, and it's effect on your country as a whole.

More than anything though, I'm looking forward to siege and open field combat, so I suppose a Micro-combat approach is what I'm looking forward to most.

Jean=A=Luc
07-29-2008, 05:17 AM

That sounds more like macro.

The Witch King of Angmar
07-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Micro for me. I'll save up for a few heavy units and build up my base instead. It really all depends though.

Joseph Visscher
07-29-2008, 02:22 PM

what will it be....?

Macro or Micro?

You should define what each one means so people that dont know, know... you know... ;)

Mrdash
07-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Micro= Managing your land/troops/tech to small details.

Macro=Cut the crap and skip to the bloody batles.

Esculas the Mighty
07-29-2008, 06:20 PM
You should define what each one means so people that dont know, know... you know... ;)

zomg they are back

raving
07-30-2008, 03:39 AM
ive always been a techy :p, building up as much upgrades as i can :D so MICRO FTW :cool:

wou129
07-30-2008, 05:55 AM
micro fore me

frankein_fish
07-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Micro/porc/tech :p :D
Ive never been a rush'er, i usully sits behind my walls till i have a massive army and then attack

Jean=A=Luc
07-30-2008, 09:02 AM
ive always been a techy :p, building up as much upgrades as i can :D so MICRO FTW :cool:

That's not micro, where do you people get these ideas? :confused:

raving
07-30-2008, 10:05 AM
well to build alot of tech, you need alot of resc, so you ned to wait alot to get em all ^^ and after the tech i build up a huge army :D so still micro ;)

olauwers
07-30-2008, 10:49 AM
well to build alot of tech, you need alot of resc, so you ned to wait alot to get em all ^^ and after the tech i build up a huge army :D so still micro ;)

That, I call turtling.

Jean=A=Luc
07-30-2008, 11:14 AM

As Olauwers said it's simply turtling. "Micro" typically refers to personal and detailed control of your units (instead of just using attack-move) in order to maximize their effectiveness. There are other types of micro(management) too.

You can read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micromanagement_(computer_gaming)

raving
07-30-2008, 01:19 PM
As Olauwers said it's simply turtling. "Micro" typically refers to personal and detailed control of your units (instead of just using attack-move) in order to maximize their effectiveness. There are other types of micro(management) too.

You can read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micromanagement_(computer_gaming) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micromanagement_%28computer_gaming%29)

aha, well that i do too. :) but yes im not proud of it, but im a turtle :p. let them break on my walls and then lead a countercharge.

olauwers
07-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Turtling is the best. There should be an intrracial clan of turtlers. And then they should fight each other...

Man, those games would be epic. They'd last for days on end and involve lots and lots of wizards. And lots of wizards.

Esculas the Mighty
07-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Turtling is the best. There should be an intrracial clan of turtlers. And then they should fight each other...

Man, those games would be epic. They'd last for days on end and involve lots and lots of wizards. And lots of wizards.

than the high elves will own they have best wizards

i doubt magic will turn the battle around im more of a human type unit player i usually never send in mega units siege maybe unless i have units with siege bonus

and i usually win cause i micro every little detail in the battle i dont like to lose 1/4 of my army cause i cant send to on to their city

Esculas the Mighty
07-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Micro/porc/tech :p :D
Ive never been a rush'er, i usully sits behind my walls till i have a massive army and then attack

rushers fail LOL
well at least on age games all rushes fail against my british or my gaia the ulfsark flood is formidable tho

The Witch King of Angmar
07-30-2008, 07:43 PM
It really all depends how you manuever your rush as well as manage it. If done correctly and in the right amount, it can be devastating.

Khyron
07-31-2008, 01:33 AM
I have always been more Macro based in regards to battles and units special abilities, but i micro the crap out of my economic base.

slamelov
10-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Micro for me

Robert Schultz
10-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Micro=Real Time Strategy (RTS)

Macro=Real Time Tactics (RTT)

Dawn of Fantasy seems like a combination of the two; battalions of soldiers, yet still resource gathering and building construction.
It would be a hypothetical Real Time Operational (RTO).:p

Darathor
10-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Micro=Real Time Strategy (RTS)

Macro=Real Time Tactics (RTT)

Dawn of Fantasy seems like a combination of the two; battalions of soldiers, yet still resource gathering and building construction.
It would be a hypothetical Real Time Operational (RTO).:p

I think you have tactics and strategy backwards,

tactics:the branch of military science dealing with detailed maneuvers to achieve objectives set by strategy

strategy: the branch of military science dealing with military command and the planning and conduct of a war

Strategy is more large-scale and would be more like build orders and gathering resources as well as placing buildings and moving large groups of units. Tactics, though, are more small maneuvers that you use in the middle of battle to gain the upper hand.

sneaky_squirrel
10-11-2009, 06:06 PM
If I am correct, micro and macro reffer to:

Micro (As in small): Refers to the smallest details for success.

Macro (As in extense): Is from a much more general point of view.

Both of these can be included in either economy or military (Assigning villagers SPECIFIC tasks like chop THAT tree instead of just gather wood from wherever you want.

Or military like instead of just charge attack from the front, you move to the right, you to the left, and we close in on them with the archers running around and sniping them off while they retreat.

Robert Schultz
10-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I think you have tactics and strategy backwards,

tactics:the branch of military science dealing with detailed maneuvers to achieve objectives set by strategy

strategy: the branch of military science dealing with military command and the planning and conduct of a war

Strategy is more large-scale and would be more like build orders and gathering resources as well as placing buildings and moving large groups of units. Tactics, though, are more small maneuvers that you use in the middle of battle to gain the upper hand.
The "Strategy" and "Tactic" parts of the genre names only apply to the scope of activities you are controlling. To compensate for the amount of focus put into one activity, there is varying degrees of control, from micro to macro.

Tactics: A lot of focus put on battle; therefore more macro.
(Total War Series)
Strategy: Focus put on economy management, town construction, and battle; therefore more micro.
(AoE, Warcraft)

wills370
10-12-2009, 04:15 AM
The "Strategy" and "Tactic" parts of the genre names only apply to the scope of activities you are controlling. To compensate for the amount of focus put into one activity, there is varying degrees of control, from micro to macro.

Tactics: A lot of focus put on battle; therefore more macro.
(Total War Series)
Strategy: Focus put on economy management, town construction, and battle; therefore more micro.
(AoE, Warcraft)

might be just easier to call it "the persistant world, and mmort experience". :P

Darathor
10-12-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that all the tactical movements that you do in Starcraft are called microing, such as moving a marine around so he can kill an ultralisk. With macro being stated as build orders and resource management, as they take much less time/skill to do properly, someone can just find a strategy from good players and copy their build orders and the like.

Tactics would be movements during a battle and right before to gain an advantage, strategy is more of an overall thing.

ShadowyMoon
10-12-2009, 10:41 PM
What Darathor said.

Stop confusing people with your wrong definitions please. As for me, a healthy dose of both with a bit of rushing on top. No not Zergling rushing. I play Terran :P

Josh Warner
10-13-2009, 12:04 AM
What Darathor said.

Stop confusing people with your wrong definitions please. As for me, a healthy dose of both with a bit of rushing on top. No not Zergling rushing. I play Terran :P

Medic/Marine is great, but there's a reason over half the pro players prefer zerg lol.

Kaznafein
11-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Macro but with a good degree of control dont really like when you have to go in and tell a bunch of diffrent units to use there special moves cause then you cant concentrate on the strategy of your force as a whole.

Swift sword
11-06-2009, 08:43 PM
I think I'm going to end up microing...
My biggest problem with RTS's in general is that I can't multitask that well. I get so focused on one thing above all others, I forget completely to check that other villager, or that group of 5 soldiers. Mostly, I attribute this to the fact that I enjoy the designing more, and thus don't play much.
However, I think its just a natural disability I have.:( Thus, I'm looking forward-big time-to the fairly automated economy. Less minimap clicking, more soldier clicking- that's my style.

So basically, in this game i think I'll have an easier job microing than others. :)

Edit: Oops, just read Brighty's post, looks like I'm a macroer :o

wills370
11-07-2009, 06:21 AM
i think both micro and macro elements willl play a large part in this game. there will already be a large amount of micro even if you try to stay on the macro side of gameplay. (especiially if you go down the magic route). where you will need to both counter and attack with magic. whilst managing the army also.