PDA

View Full Version : [Proposal] Unit Morale System.

giangvu
07-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Concept : making the game battling system more in dept and strategically. Force player to make use and fully understand their race units. A tactful commanding skill could overcome an overwhelming but brainless enemies.

What is morale ?

A unit morale is determined its will to stand and fight. A solider with a broken spirit is just simply a lost lamb.

How to determine a unit morale:

A unit morale determined by its race / equipment / footman or cav / combat experience / Defensive castle

Foot unit always have a basic morale of 100 and cav is 130 , Orc has 100 and goblin has 95

Race effects:

Human : All units has trait " For the king " + 5 morale.
Elf : All units has trait " Stand United" + 10 morale.
Orc : All units has trait " Oh! Shiny " - 20 morale.

Combat experience ( Start + from level 2 - 7 . Total 5 level )
Human & elfs : 5 each level. Max bonus is + 25 ( at level 5)
Orcs : + 15 each level . Max bonus is +75 ( at level 5 )

Equipment and special case:

If a unit is upgraded everything possible in armory that benefit him. +5 morale ( for all races)

- Crossbow / bow and & elf archers engaged in melee combat for more than 2 sec will start to reduce morale rapidly. (- 5 / sec )
- Orc archers like marauder and berserk are not affected.
- Will start to regen morale at 5 / sec if out of combat for 3 sec
- Defending unit with a castle will +5 morale

Benefit of high morale :

1. Increase dmg. Factor : Base damage * <morale>%
2. If you can't use any formation if your morale under 50% and lose control ( will run amok or retreating to end of the map ) under 20

How to lose morale :

Every time a unit in your squad die , u lost a portion of your morale .

Example : 24 goblin level 5 with a total morale of 80 + 50 + 5 = 135 morale got charged by mounted knight and lost 4 units . The morale will drop by 135 * (5/6) to 112.5 morale and so on.

Standing in fire make u lose 5 morale / sec.

Special Effects :

- Units remained within <limited Range > of hero received " Courage words " regen 5 morale per 2 sec.
- Unit with Raged ability on will immune to morale losing penalties as well as bonuses.

Add on Purpose :

- Create a more diver way of playing battle.
- Making hero playing a more significant role in the fight.
- The battle demanded more attention and awareness.
- Make battle more realistic ( in a long and brutal fight all division formation will be reduced to nothing but a bunch of mobs).
- New tactics including well planning cav charge or good focus fire against important targets could change the outcome of battle rather than which side has more troops.

Additional info :

A starting full upgraded unit of :

Human : 100 + 5 +5 = 110 morale / 130 + 5 +5 = 140 morale
Elf : 100 + 10+5=115 morale / 130+10=5 = 145 morale
Orc : 100-20 +5 = 85 morale / 95 - 20 +5 = 80 morale

Well trained and upgraded unit of

Human : 110+ 25=135 morale / 140+25=165 morale
Elf : 115+25=140 morale / 145+25=170 morale
Orc :85+75 = 150 morale / 80+75 = 155 morale

Last words from editor :

Explaination for high increase in orc combat experience bonus is orc unit r fragile and die out easily. They could be wiped anytime before reaching 7. at 5 they r only + 45 and human 15 which gonna balanced out itself. so even if they use trainning, newly recruit could battle evenly on the field and human unit more likely to survive , healed and level up.

Second thought is you can break the will of the strongest man but not a madden beast.

giangvu
07-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Reserved for future use.

Feel free to add your feed back and comments.

spartian112
07-22-2011, 06:08 AM
I like the way you think :P
you came up with some good ideas
Keep it up!!!!

giangvu
07-22-2011, 01:08 PM
thanks for great words. I would love to receive more feed back as well as comments from devs and fellow players.

Espadachim
07-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Althought would make the game more realistic, morale system can be somewhat frustrating. It could add the sensation of loss of control. It's a good idea, but needs to be very well applied to be successful.

My 2 cents. ;)

giangvu
07-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Althought would make the game more realistic, morale system can be somewhat frustrating. It could add the sensation of loss of control. It's a good idea, but needs to be very well applied to be successful.

My 2 cents. ;)

I gotta agree. But one that able to master the art of war is the one that truthfully understand a man heart. Knowing when to retreat their troops to rest or press forward. It all up to the commander.

ThatguyAds1298
10-03-2011, 04:44 AM
I quite like this maybe for a later feature, It would make pvp even more 'hey i need to think about this' which would appeal to some but then maybe not for others hmm..

So anyway, about the loss of control thing, Maybe not make troops run away when morale gets to low but become less able to fight? ie their damage goes down? Might be a bit easier that way then making them run for the hills and the player losing control of them.

So yea, Be interesting addition to combat this idea :D

Jarno Montonen
10-03-2011, 05:17 AM
I definately like the idea! Utilizing ruthless flanking to crush the enemy morale was one of my favorite (yet risky!) strategies in the Total War series. When timing and everything came together perfectly it was just soooo rewarding to annihilate the fleeing enemy army! :)

One thing that is missing in your post (or atleast I didn't spot it) is how to replenish the morale during a battle. Over time or by killing enemy units etc?

White935
10-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Cant that be based on races?

Orcs: Gain moral whenever a enemy soldier is killed.

Humans: have priests/paladins "heroic/leader" units that regenerate moral to their nearby units.

Elves: No suggestion atm:

Jarno Montonen
10-03-2011, 05:30 AM
Great ideas!

Elves: Gain morale near trees :)

White935
10-03-2011, 05:39 AM
Great ideas!

Elves: Gain morale near trees :)

Then i hope theres trees in the desert <.< for the sake of balance.

Thought trees, bodies of natural water and such?

Nimiria
10-03-2011, 06:28 AM
But when you make morale, I hope there will be some kind of command units. A sergeant, who can put them together (or at least can try it) when they brake, who leads them etc. , perhaps a mussician, standart bearer etc. with some kind of bonus to morale, fighting stats etc.

Of course that should not make a unit immune to morale loss.. but would give squads more possibilities to add things to them and give them some more "life".

Firetongue
10-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Elves: Gain morale by picking flowers or by petting a unicorn

Konstantin Fomenko
10-03-2011, 10:07 AM
We should be adding morale to the units - but it will take a likely in November.

Morale system will not only make fights more familiar and realistic, but help you protect your units in PvP fights, units that run away will live to fight another day

andreicde
10-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I totally agree. This should be a good system that will separate strategy masters from novices

woody8917
10-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Then i hope theres trees in the desert <.< for the sake of balance.

Thought trees, bodies of natural water and such?

Desert Oasis my friend lol

SirFranc
10-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Losing morale VS undeads and demons obviousy, that should be a must.

White935
10-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Losing morale VS undeads and demons obviousy, that should be a must.

would depend who's fighting no. Orcs probably dont really care if its a demon or a undead, also paladins or "knight" probably woulodnt be shaken by such either. ,just that it can be bashed, and conquered. thought it might be dissapointed theres very little meat to eat off a undead (skeleton). I do however believe undead should have no moral.

SirFranc
10-03-2011, 03:45 PM
would depend who's fighting no. Orcs probably dont really care if its a demon or a undead, also paladins or "knight" probably woulodnt be shaken by such either. ,just that it can be bashed, and conquered. thought it might be dissapointed theres very little meat to eat off a undead (skeleton). I do however believe undead should have no moral.

Indeed undead shouldn't have any, but apart from some units (like knights, etc) at least undeads should have something such as "terror aura" or "fear aura" that makes the normal units (regular soldiers mostly) cower in fear and/or reduce their morale, that would be really interesting tactically speaking

Magicmud83
10-04-2011, 02:30 AM
Have only one problem with this idea why are the huge green brutes who love to fight have the lowest morale but the peace loving flower tending unicorn keepers have the highest? Goblins I can see having the lowest as they are small and weak but the idea of the guys who fight at any chance they get getting scared in combat the easyest doesnt sit right with me lol.

I'd give it a system which depends on how the battle is going raises or lowers moral. Elfs don't want to fight to begin with loving all life forms so should have low morale at start but they fight harder the more damage they take.

Orcs love to fight and outnumber the enemy so should have high morale when around their own units but break easy when outnumbered or far from the others.

Humans somewhere in the middle.

Magicmud83
10-04-2011, 02:32 AM
I do however believe undead should have no moral.

Yes I agree with them having no morale (we are getting undead?) but maybe when they have very few units left the start to fall apart or greatly weakened defence.

BrandungsFels
10-04-2011, 02:44 AM
to be honest i rather like it the way it is now - i just remember those fights in rome total war / medieval tw where a fight was over after a few seconds if the opponent did not manage to get his army in formation in time.

i agree that it would be more realistic, tactical more interesting and nice to have some units survive if you lose, but having those fights in the rome game in mind, i really would not like it to become a big factor in those battles.

if i choose to fight a big pvp battle, i do not want it to end after 5-10mins :)

regards
-Fels

Magicus
10-04-2011, 02:45 AM
Morale is a good idea. Let us not forget that economy and leadership mainly influence the morale of an army not engaged in war. Rulers could for instance organize games / fun fairs. I like how morale from this side was implemented in an old strategy game - Centurion - through games at the colloseum (arena fights / chariot races). Dawn of Fantasy could gain this aspect of game someday in the future. Arena could be the place where all players meet and fight with their Avatars or something along these lines. I'm in favor of everything that doesn't have negative effect on dynamics of combat.

SirFranc
10-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Have only one problem with this idea why are the huge green brutes who love to fight have the lowest morale but the peace loving flower tending unicorn keepers have the highest? Goblins I can see having the lowest as they are small and weak but the idea of the guys who fight at any chance they get getting scared in combat the easyest doesnt sit right with me lol.

I'd give it a system which depends on how the battle is going raises or lowers moral. Elfs don't want to fight to begin with loving all life forms so should have low morale at start but they fight harder the more damage they take.

Orcs love to fight and outnumber the enemy so should have high morale when around their own units but break easy when outnumbered or far from the others.

Humans somewhere in the middle.

totally agree with this