PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Books

ash12181987
07-17-2011, 05:16 PM
So, personally I am neck deep in the Game of Thrones series (Book 3, nearly on book 4), further the next Dresden Files book comes out next week.

What is everyone else looking forward to, reading now, or wishes to add about something they have read in the past?

Gladys
07-22-2011, 06:08 AM
My fav one is the Godfather by Mario Puzo. Classic, strong and filled with sense book. Learned a lot from it.

blackmane
10-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Warhammer 40k The Horus Heresy novels from the black library are kick arse!! so far i think there is 13-15 book's in the series and still plans for alot more to come. If you love Warhammer, gamesworkshop, Dawn of war PC games then you'll love these books. I've made all my mate's read them and they can't get enough! :D

andreicde
10-03-2011, 10:00 PM
yeah song of fire and ice AKA game of thrones is best book ever.
PS: game of thrones is actually first book in the song of fire and ice series.

Sephriem
10-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Packing Inferno by Tyler Budraeu (not sure if I spelled his last name right) is one of the better books I've read recently!

Alex Walz
10-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Game of Thrones/Ice and Fire is great, although I was much less impressed with the second book than I was with the other two I read. And then I like Vince Flynn a lot for easy thrillers. I'm also a big fan of Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse literature.

As for non-fiction, I'm reading an interesting book called Through the Language Glass that discusses how language changes the way a culture things - a highly recommended read for those interested in anthropology.

I know, I'm a very eclectic person. :D

Magicus
10-04-2011, 03:52 AM
If you like strategy this is obligatory position and text I read many times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5jLYgc4nBs

In this video it's obviously westernized but get hold of original if interested, it's really compelling.

Your game will get better (on developers' side) and your tactics (on players').

Cukulen
10-04-2011, 05:59 AM
i love post apocolyptic books.. esp the older ones like Alas Babylon and Earth Abides! I'm liking more recently stuff like The Road and Last Light but I dont know of anything else thats up and coming.. :(

oh and course Lord of the Rings makes for great reading IF you can hack it out as a lot of people complain its very 'heavy'.

ThatguyAds1298
10-04-2011, 01:36 PM
The wheel of time, This book series got me hooked so bad, Im waiting for book 14 i think the final book to be released cant wait!

Generation
10-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Favorite books are Legend of Drizzt, Gatekeper, Ranger's Apprentice :D They're all series btw :P

woody8917
10-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Angels and Demons
The Da Vinci Code
The Lost Symbol
Deception Point
Digital Fortress
(all the above books are Dan Brown Books lol love'em)
RuneScape: Betrayal at Falador (i couldnt stop reading this one)
RuneScape: Return to Canifis (have the book but havent gotten that far, i have it on an ereader and im not sure if i like the ereader so idk lol).

Alot of books from James Rollins are good havent read them all he has like 20 of them.

I like any books like the Dan Brown ones that have to deal with the Knights Templar, The Free Masons, The Illuminati and other secret societies or ancient orders.
so if anyone has a book in mind that has any or all of them in it do share plz.

Valkyrie
10-05-2011, 07:28 AM
i read very few books, but back in school they made me read a book that i actualy liked. It was called Wolfbrothers (vargbröder in swedish).

can't remember all of it becouse it was years back, but it was about a boy who found a wolf he could communicate with and together they went on some strange adventure

Firetongue
10-05-2011, 07:55 PM
If ur a strong reader and clever you should realy read the book "Politeia" also known as "The state" or just "state" in english (i think so atleast since i only read it in swedish)

It is written by Platon around 370 B.C yet there are hundreds of translations and u should be able to find it in almost any language, so you won't have to read it in ancient greek.

it is considered a top 3 of the most important books of all time in Western culture.

The entire book is a conversation where Sokrates acts as Platons mouthpiece, it requires a lot of analytic skill yet it is probably the best book I've ever read.

Valkyrie
10-05-2011, 08:19 PM
it is considered a top 3 of the most important books of all time in Western culture.

i bet the other 2 are the Bible and Kama Sutra!
Or maybe The Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf haven't decided yet.

JanisW
10-26-2011, 10:01 AM
My favorite is Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, I can't get enough of it!

BrandungsFels
10-26-2011, 03:37 PM
marco polo by gary jennings

(i have not found a better yarn spinner than mr jennings - so i recommend every single book of him - there are a few books based on his memos which i have not read though)

RJeannine
11-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Mine are After dark and 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. He is genius for me.

Gruber12
11-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I got my hands on the Metro 2033 book, only thing camparable to the game is the charatcers names. It is the best book i have ever read and beautifly done with some parts leaving it to your imagination