PDA

View Full Version : What usually happens when I try to get someone to play Dawn of Fantasy

theinternetman
07-08-2011, 08:19 PM
I start showing them a few gameplay trailers, talk about the game mechanics, and usually the first thing they ask about is can they conquer other players and build and online empire.

I always tell them no and they instantly lose all interest and call it a glorified stronghold clone.

I can describe Dawn of Fantasy as one of those games where the wishes of the vast majority of the gaming community wants exactly the opposite of what the developers want. Reverie, you can ask them yourselves.

Commercially you have decided to dig your own grave and personally I don't care but I'm just saying that reverie could stand to make a lot of people happy and make a TON of money if they make some sort of way for players to conquer each other even if it's in smaller servers and it's limited to a period of a few weeks or months per game.

The biggest question I think most players ask when they play DoF for a little is "What does this game have to offer me other than a persistent castle gimmick on top of a fairly generic RTS with online multiplayer?"

I think the answer is.... well... not much.

I mean... we don't even get to customize our castles. The game tells us where to build! That's less freedom than most RTSes!

I see very little logistical issues with making a simplistic map with conquerable territories. You don't have to use your existing world map. You can make a network diagram with all the players in the game simulated by icons on a gigantic persistent simplistic map.

Eve's Star map for example:
http://mycdn.theexcitantgroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/eve_starmap2-1024x711.jpg

I often wonder, do you guys just feel burnt out and want to release the game, some flavor content here and there like new units, call it an MMORTS when it's a Persistent Online RTS and then charge microtransactions all day?

You can dress up a pig in makeup all you want but at the end of the day it's still a pig.

Sorry if this post comes off as a bit abrasive, I'm trying to be real here, that's all. Tough love.

GPS51
07-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I've lost count of how many posts like this one have come out when people don't see progress fast enough to suit them. This is not SHK and anyone who calls that an RTS game should have their head examined. Let dof be it's own bear and rise/fall when it releases :) The age of empires line did very well for 10 years and you never "conquered" someone's HC....shocker i know.

theinternetman
07-08-2011, 08:45 PM
It has far more to do with development attitude than progress but thanks for putting words into my mouth?

I see the direction of the game going a very hackeneyed way and I'm wondering what it offers that other RTSes dont? How does it stand out other than cookie cutter castles? The current plans seem to just be more races and units, instead of thinking how to make innovative gameplay. I just hope the modding tools are powerful enough to make up for the stagnant development strategy.

Thus far no MMORTS exists except Shattered Galaxy. None. So why wouldn't developers pounce on the opportunity to create a new GENRE?

GPS51
07-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Wait for DLC packs 1-5 they'll add a whole lot that other rts's don't have. I would totally agree that in beta/public build state it's got nothing on other rts's. I'm just glad more content is coming into the beta soon.

Henry Martin
07-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Well I cant really say much about how it got to those. Other then most people one the forum treat Reverie as if they are a seasoned company that has the cash, time, and man power to do what they want when they want. And that they have been just sluffing off this how time doing nothing.

This company is small, and has went through a lot more than you will ever know with a team of nonprofessionals doing their best as making a game that I personally am surprised at the **** they went through and what they have now (more so now that I am a dev and have seen more). I joined the team late in development so I haven't had any input in the development.

Like GPS51 said, there has been a lot of these post about people knowing whats best for the game. Hell all games get these post that a handful of gamers dont like what they seen. Not everyone is going to like what someone is making. Sometimes companies just have to push through this and make what their product is and not what others try to mold it into.

I do understand your concern about this game and these developers have thought about what you are thinking, even though you question "What are they thinking? They should be doing this! This has been in development forever. They should have made something amazing by now. They dont know what they are doing!".

There is a lot of content that will be released after launch that will increase the the fun that you saying (like being able to take over stuff). The devs have said that a lot of what people are say will make it in game. Seeing as you are a new forumer you havent seen a lot of the suggestion that where put into the game that people wanted. Like a few of the units/defences are fan ideas. The new world map is a fan suggestion. The GUI (while a little broke and many complain about) is WAY different than it was when the beta started. As well as other things.

This game has taken in more input from the community than most of you new member give Reverie credit for. I've been here since like a year before the beta started (and now I wasnt a dev back than). This game has evolved a lot since the first better. Personall I love the where the game is headed and I hope they get enough support from the community to keep it going to end up as the amazing game its trying to be.

Just a bunch of thoughts running through my head.

theinternetman
07-08-2011, 11:24 PM
I think my comments and reactions stem from a specific group of users who may not be the target audience for Dawn of Fantasy. Like many small game studios, community suggestions make it into the game and that's great, don't get me wrong. The way the game is designed as-is is not so much a personal issue as it is me reacting to such a very negative response to the game based on a lack of a certain game mechanic. Many players seem to not care about the attributes of a studio, they'll either decide to play or not. Consumers aren't quick to sympathize with companies in many cases unless they put on their indie hat and do something really crazy and innovative (Notch).

The modding tools are a major asset that I see a lot of opporunity in that differentiate this game from the pack. Warcraft 3's custom maps using JASS and vJASS spawned quite a few amazing games that give Warcraft 3 a decent online community so many years later. LUA is quite a bit more powerful than jass so as long as people are willing to learn a bit of programming we might see some great content come to Dawn of Fantasy.

It's not so much we don't like what DoF is, it's that we see a great potential and want to try to inflience the game to go in a certain direction that reflects our vision. Hell it's worth a try.

Defilus
07-09-2011, 05:08 AM
I mean... we don't even get to customize our castles. The game tells us where to build! That's less freedom than most RTSes!
Be an Orc, they get to choose where they want to build.

Grizzlez
07-09-2011, 07:13 AM
I start showing them a few gameplay trailers, talk about the game mechanics, and usually the first thing they ask about is can they conquer other players and build and online empire.

Read this post http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2016

You build your empire on the world map taking over NPC towns, building up your armies and completing quests. Then you can choose PVP where you try to attack your enemies stronghold or defend your own where you can win resources from your opponent and destroy their stronghold leaving them to have to rebuild. PVP hasn't been enabled yet so you won't find it in the beta.

This game has been in development for a number of years and in that time many suggestions have been posted and the Devs have taken these into consideration. At this stage of development the Devs have already constructed the game in a certain way based on what they feel the community wants and they would be unable to continually change aspects of the game each time a new suggestion is posted. They must take into account not only what people want to see but also what will make the game work best. Don't forget this is a company developing a product so they must also consider what is best for the company because otherwise they wouldn't have received the funding to develop the game or a publisher so we can eventually purchase it. I'm sure in the next few weeks there will be a lot more changes and I also expect some content to not even make it into beta but when the retail version is released we will likely see new things added.

Norsha
07-09-2011, 07:34 AM
:):) ;) :D :cool: :eek: :p

theinternetman
07-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Read this post http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2016

You build your empire on the world map taking over NPC towns, building up your armies and completing quests. Then you can choose PVP where you try to attack your enemies stronghold or defend your own where you can win resources from your opponent and destroy their stronghold leaving them to have to rebuild. PVP hasn't been enabled yet so you won't find it in the beta.

This game has been in development for a number of years and in that time many suggestions have been posted and the Devs have taken these into consideration. At this stage of development the Devs have already constructed the game in a certain way based on what they feel the community wants and they would be unable to continually change aspects of the game each time a new suggestion is posted. They must take into account not only what people want to see but also what will make the game work best. Don't forget this is a company developing a product so they must also consider what is best for the company because otherwise they wouldn't have received the funding to develop the game or a publisher so we can eventually purchase it. I'm sure in the next few weeks there will be a lot more changes and I also expect some content to not even make it into beta but when the retail version is released we will likely see new things added.

Actually you can only loot an NPC town... not that anyone really cares about that as many other games do it much better. I've played the game for a few weeks now so I'm aware of the current game mechanics and the future ones.

It's clear the devs have decided (based on their posts) to blatantly say "No, we don't want to do this with our game" to the many many many people who want some form of online conquest or even ability to play against specific players. That's the entire point of a true MMORTS.

I know low-end graphic rehashes with less units that total war and worse siege mechanics than total war and worse conquest mechanics than total war isn't really going to sell well. What does this game have that Medieval II: Total War doesn't? Look at the majority of feedback about DoF, it's pretty obvious.

Persistent non-customizable (for the vast majority) castles with a small online matchmaking interface is not an MMORTS and Reverie is blatantly falsely advertising to justify micro-transactions because their publisher is probably forcing them in some passive aggressive form to do so.

GPS51
07-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Persistent non-customizable (for the vast majority) castles with a small online matchmaking interface is not an MMORTS and Reverie is blatantly falsely advertising to justify micro-transactions because their publisher is probably forcing them in some passive aggressive form to do so.

And in the end this is what the posts degenerate into :(

jojary
07-09-2011, 09:15 AM
I have been following this game for quite a while now and if you read the right posts to can pick up on hint on what could be included in this game. The developers need to release this game soon though this is not the end. There was a post that say the approximate size of the released game of the top of my head it was 8 or 9 gig then it was mentioned that we can expect 12 gig in expansions soon after release. So as you can imagine that a lot of new content. Other suggestion posts talked about a hardcore mode where you can take over and conquer this concept was discussed with post players and DEVs, and I perceived the topic to be welcomed by most. What im saying is the release might not have everything, but it wont stop developing and there is plenty of potential.

Grizzlez
07-09-2011, 09:56 AM
I've played the game for a few weeks now so I'm aware of the current game mechanics and the future ones.

But not all features including PVP have been released to the beta yet so how can you know exactly what's going on? This is just the beta phase where the DEVs are trying to eliminate bugs in certain aspects of the game before they release new features. If the beta included every feature right away then it would be harder to find issues in the game that can then be fixed. The beta isn't there to sell the game but to polish it before it hits the shelves so it's unlikely that it will ever interest people into playing something that is not yet complete.

Henry Martin
07-09-2011, 09:58 AM
It's clear the devs have decided (based on their posts) to blatantly say "No, we don't want to do this with our game" to the many many many people who want some form of online conquest or even ability to play against specific players. That's the entire point of a true MMORTS.

Where did you read this!? The only thing that we have blatantly said that we wont have in the game is towns visible on the world map and thats it. There is a lot of misscommunication going in this forum. Kon in the forum as personally said that there will be a form of conquest in this game. Its also been mentioned that after launch there will be a lot of customization options added to this game. Ranging from wall layout, which will change town layout, many different homelands (I think it was mentioned that we might try and put in randomized homelands).

I'm also tired of people saying the false advertising of this game being an MMO just because they arent happy with everything. The MMO genre is so loosely defined that you cant really accuse any MMO of falsely advertising.

Now we didnt have time for everything to be ingame and as the game sits it seems pretty stripped down to a lot of people. Like I said if the game gets enough support there will be a lot of content and not just new units and textures, new gameplay will be added too.

Khan kreiger
07-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Gamers these days just expect TOO much, in my opinion and should give these guys a break they're a new company trying to please as many followers as possible, they have been workin on this for years and have come a real long way and most followers like the way the games look and dont care for the "mmo" part of the game and just like the fact that you have a consistent economy to grow and make changes on your own. The game is already an mmo in some cases of the pvp, so just give them time they are new as henry said and dont have all the time, money or support as they would need to please everyone.

Vigilus
07-11-2011, 02:11 PM
In response to Khan Krieger:
Reverie hasn't "made it" yet, its all thankless hard work until you make a finished product. Everyone wants to experience something new, gamers these days have such a broad knowledge of good and bad game design that they can demand much more specific ideas and implementation, making the developer's life all the more difficult.

Such is the evolution of the industry. To say that the problem stems with the gamers is to say that gamers shouldn't demand more, they should be happy with the same old same old, or a variation thereof. Implementing Khan Krieger's line of thinking to the industry as a whole would cause it to stagnate, become irrelevant and ultimately die. Its like eating the same dish over and over, even if its prepared by a master chef, you will want something substantially new after a few weeks. Changing the recipe by a little only prolongs the inevitable, gamers want a fundamental enhancement to the ideas and implementation across the industry. Game designers don't have control over a lot of realities about the major influences in the tech industry that trickle down and limit them, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try like hell :).

I respect these magicians, keep it up!

Everyone craves new experiences, and the potential for gamers to experience something that they most likely never experience is the major allure of gaming today. This is the heart and soul of the industry and what it provides for gamers.

In response to Henry Martin:

Imposing quality standards upon the industry is the smart gamer's prerogative.
From what Henry has stated, Reverie is taking the constructive criticism to heart, which is all that we gamers can ask of a group of developers. This kind of hopeful information is all that is needed to ensure good communication between the developers and the people on the forums.
Naturally it will need to be followed up with action, an act of good faith before the games goes live by implementing a large recommendation would be an important way to demonstrate reverie's strength as a company in the gamers' eyes.

Too many times beyond count have developers made such promises and then ran with the money from their investor satisfying initial release profit figures.
Promising the game will be fully fleshed out AFTER release is another way of saying that you may get around to it later on down the line. Naturally, reverie might be different, but as a new company in my gamer view, reverie has to earn my trust. This trust is worth earning, since you will be starting to brand your products and get all the financial benefits if you do so properly.

I am not stating what I think about reverie, but rather what the game industry has taught me through my own personal interaction. I am by far not alone on this, I have seen many industry complaints similar to my own on almost every forum for every game I have ever been interested in.

Thank you Henry for the good news, that reverie is planning on implementing additional creative suggestions from these forums to improve the game. A good line to follow in the forums would be going into specifics on what will be implemented and how, to further create gamer interest in the game and market your company as a "cut above" the competition by providing a great developer to gamer relationship. An industry example of this marketing idea is Stardock, when they did this with their "gamers bill of rights".

I look forward to each and every update!
Knowing that a company is willing to actually work with gamers to receive input is exactly what gamers need. But i'll reiterate, it needs to be followed up by hard action before purchase of the game or the promise doesn't mean a thing.

Khan kreiger
07-11-2011, 04:32 PM
uh where in there did i say that they "made it" becasue they are still in beta. All i said was that the need the support of their followers because they are new at this and dont have the money or as much team experience as some of the other big companies. And i wasnt sayin that games should stay the same plus i dissagree with your statement on gamers knowing more, because majority of them dont know anything and jus think a game is good because it has good graphics. Thats all i ever hear these days is people complaining saying oh i dont like the graphics so im not interested, many big games that are still played to this day have "bad graphics" as new gamers call it. But anyways most people get too much by one thing and when its put in they think of something else. I was drawn in from the start and havnt complained once...well other then some of the bugs but still i understand you have your own opinoin as do I. I like people like gamers like you who actually explain more about what you dont like rather then saying one word :)

Firespray
07-11-2011, 06:39 PM
I found this game out through a friend, looks quite interesting so I am tempted to try it out. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds really good from the dev diaries.

Vigilus
07-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Oh khan I was responding to your post, i was not quoting and analyzing it word for word. Those are my words, meant to approach the topic from a different angle and lead you along a line of thinking that is a response to your post. Thanks for the love, I do what little I can :).

Smiles
07-13-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm the only one in my group of friends that likes games like this one. I give them a change if it looks like the programmers put some work into it, but non of my friends will even look at them.

Vigilus
07-22-2011, 12:07 AM
well there is still a bit more work to be done, we shall see how the pvp goes. can't wait, and I hope it will be well conceived.

Aedric
07-23-2011, 03:48 PM
This game offers a lot more based on it's features in at least the persistent online world sector that any other I can think of. Yes, I was a bit disappointed to learn that I could not take over someone's castle. Does that deter me? No, I loved SG and AoE and neither allowed that either. For me, it is enough that someone is someone is making a true RTS in a persistent world. It's a step in the right direction. Hopefully, it will get this market recognized, then maybe Reverie will get more funding and be able to tackle the logistical nightmare that designing captureable player cities would be.

theinternetman
07-28-2011, 04:27 PM
maybe Reverie will get more funding and be able to tackle the logistical nightmare that designing captureable player cities would be.

I'm sorry but you're completely wrong about it being difficult to add in a persistent castle capturing mechanic. There is a mod developed almost entirely by 1 person for free for Mount and Blade: Warband entirely in python that allows for conquest of castles, towns, etc. in an extremely advanced game. It's ran entirely for free, and has custom loadouts for every single one of your PLAYER troops. 100v100 battles over castles like Shariz are no stranger to M&B: cRPG, with full siege equipment, pre-purchased equipment to customize each player's loadout, advanced voice commands and banner tactics, etc.

http://c-rpg.net/

Castle Wars for Warcraft 3 is more advanced than Dawn of Fantasy. The developers can wake up and smell the roses or just keep on resting their success on marketing.

Henry Martin
07-29-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm sorry but you're completely wrong about it being difficult to add in a persistent castle capturing mechanic. There is a mod developed almost entirely by 1 person for free for Mount and Blade: Warband entirely in python that allows for conquest of castles, towns, etc. in an extremely advanced game. It's ran entirely for free, and has custom loadouts for every single one of your PLAYER troops. 100v100 battles over castles like Shariz are no stranger to M&B: cRPG, with full siege equipment, pre-purchased equipment to customize each player's loadout, advanced voice commands and banner tactics, etc.

Castle Wars for Warcraft 3 is more advanced than Dawn of Fantasy. The developers can wake up and smell the roses or just keep on resting their success on marketing.

theinternetman believe what you will, but it has been stated already that there will be a form of conquest in this game. Right now its not a matter for difficulty, its a matter of time mainly. The conquest will be added in this game after release. We just dont have time to add this stuff in right now. Those mods also to a long time to create and it was a mod meaning no money was involved. When money/time is involved there is a lot of sacrifices you have to make.

laminblake
07-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Im really annoyed by the fact that the devs need to "apologize" to these people. The game is in BETA! Its an INDI company that doesnt rake in millions like others yet has a stable game that is actually fun (unlike some games like gods and heroes "what a joke that is"). So quit QQing and be patient:

The troll's theme song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6FUR_nhGX8

Temudjin
08-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Pros of DoF:
+ persistent World
IF the developers have the heart to implement it:
+++ where the old RTS-dream to "conquer the world" can become true!

Cons of DoF:
- crappy graphics (compared to five-year-old Age of Empires III, they are terrible)
- very bad performance even on high-class PCs
- chunky sounds
- repetitive music
- unwieldy handling

Conquering (or at least raiding) other player's bases would be the Unique Selling Point of DoW. Without it, its just another RTS noone cares to play.

TL;DR: Original poster is right.

cokaner
08-24-2011, 01:27 PM
I just got to say this game has very high potential. I have been waiting for a persistent online open world MMORTS for a few years now. I would easily pay $60 for the product and a $15 monthly fee for connection to the server. I am very optimistic for this game to eventually go in that direction and will keep my eye on it.

Unfortunately I will not buy it until it does. Not because it's not a good game. But because I have very little time in my life to game anymore. I only have time to play those games I dream about at night and think about during the day. The ones you sacrifice sleep over or cancel plans. This game is not there yet. But it could with an expansion or two.

imnotbncre8ive
09-06-2011, 08:20 PM
You can dress up a pig in makeup all you want but at the end of the day it's still a pig.

Sorry if this post comes off as a bit abrasive, I'm trying to be real here, that's all. Tough love.

Let me be the abrasive one. Calling this game a pig is unfair - a pig is at least cute and lovable. This game, from what little I've seen, is more reminiscent of pond scum. Not even the game updater worked properly - a new low in modern game development. I am appalled that anyone could attempt to charge money for this software. Apologists for this game keep pointing out how many bugs have been fixed and how far the team has come in development. My god... I shudder to think what this game was like back then, given its current deplorable state. One dev mentioned that in terms of comp specs needed to run this game *smoothly*, it is comparable to Crysis. Is this just an elaborate practical joke?

I'm not trying to insult the game devs in any way. But if any fanboys are butthurt at my criticism, then my life is complete.

Henry Martin
09-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Let me be the abrasive one. Calling this game a pig is unfair - a pig is at least cute and lovable. This game, from what little I've seen, is more reminiscent of pond scum. Not even the game updater worked properly - a new low in modern game development. I am appalled that anyone could attempt to charge money for this software. Apologists for this game keep pointing out how many bugs have been fixed and how far the team has come in development. My god... I shudder to think what this game was like back then, given its current deplorable state. One dev mentioned that in terms of comp specs needed to run this game *smoothly*, it is comparable to Crysis. Is this just an elaborate practical joke?

I'm not trying to insult the game devs in any way. But if any fanboys are butthurt at my criticism, then my life is complete.

Wow someone was potty trained at gun point.:eek: You have your opinion and I accept it. This game has a lot of problems, but you are comparing a company full of first time devs to a company full of developers with years of experience on AAA titles. So of course they have the developers that know how to optimize the game where it needs to be.

You seem to be having problems with the game and are upset by that. Sorry for you having these problems, but you shouldn't be trolling the forum because of your bad experiences with the game. The whole point of this beta is to get this game functional.

That last comment was uncalled for. Some people will like this game and some wont. There is no need to criticize other peoples taste.

So please if you still feel the need to troll, don't, just leave.

imnotbncre8ive
09-06-2011, 08:52 PM
This company is small, and has went through a lot more than you will ever know with a team of nonprofessionals doing their best as making a game that I personally am surprised at the **** they went through and what they have now (more so now that I am a dev and have seen more). I joined the team late in development so I haven't had any input in the development.

This game has a lot of problems, but you are comparing a company full of first time devs to a company full of developers with years of experience on AAA titles. So of course they have the developers that know how to optimize the game where it needs to be.

I'm amused: your title says "QA Tester", yet you are also ostensibly the public mouthpiece and tireless apologist for the development team. When the product is completed, it will be judged on its own merits - poorly functioning games will not be excused by appealing to the inexperience of the dev team. No amount of brilliant game design will make the game fun if it can't run at proper speed.

It's surprising that you devote so much time to responding to every criticism raised against the game - I woulda thought you'd have your hands full with QA testing - lord knows this game needs it right now.

Also, I take pride in my potty training.

Danny Vink
09-06-2011, 11:55 PM
I'm amused: your title says "QA Tester", yet you are also ostensibly the public mouthpiece and tireless apologist for the development team. When the product is completed, it will be judged on its own merits - poorly functioning games will not be excused by appealing to the inexperience of the dev team. No amount of brilliant game design will make the game fun if it can't run at proper speed.

It's surprising that you devote so much time to responding to every criticism raised against the game - I woulda thought you'd have your hands full with QA testing - lord knows this game needs it right now.

Also, I take pride in my potty training.

That's enough

If you don't enjoy the game, that's on you. We aren't forcing you to buy the game. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple as that

Just remember, we are an indie time and for some of us, this is our first venture into commercial game design. If you ran into issues with the beta, then we've done our job. It's a beta for a reason. There's only one way to iron out bugs and that's to play through them and fix them based on positive and proper feedback. If your not willing to give any to help the team, then it's not your place to complain

In any case I do not appreciate you questioning Henry's position on the team. If your going to complain about the team actually taking the time to respond to posts on the forum, then I can let the team know that the public doesn't think we should take what they think into consideration and we can just abandon the public forum. Then you won't have to worry about our responses

If you still feel the need to question the optimization and quality of the game in an unhelpful manner, you should re-purpose the time you spend replying by developing your own MMORTS game engine that runs on your setup. Then you can pitch the game to a publisher and you'll be all set

xeovy
09-07-2011, 01:02 AM
It's a great game and has some very good ideas.
If you have faults, but not many and I do not see this as badly as you say.
At least the developers are concerned to fix and are attentive to what customers say.
I have played Age of Conan the day of his relase, paying for the game and paying each month and the game was much worse than this game. 3 months later, still had fatal errors
This is a beta and to correct errors and are doing well.
Just be patient and let them work.
I trust the programmers, I've already bought the game, because that eventually will be a great game.
I know it will do a good job, because they work hard in the game and are honest with the players.

The man who moved the mountain, started by a small stone.

andreicde
09-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Funny.I gotta love when forums are starting to get populated by cod kids and wow fans. Graphics that are bad?I'm sorry but the game is supposed to run on a decent computer not on the last model of computers.

Conquering players?Sure,how would you feel I make a guild with seasoned players and we start razing castle after castle just for the fun of it?hundreds of people losing their hard work only because I was in a bad mood.And wait until you lose all after you built for a few months. Wouldn't that be hilarious?you return home to your castle to find ruins and nothing left.

andreicde
09-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Pros of DoF:
+ persistent World
IF the developers have the heart to implement it:
+++ where the old RTS-dream to "conquer the world" can become true!

Cons of DoF:
- crappy graphics (compared to five-year-old Age of Empires III, they are terrible)
- very bad performance even on high-class PCs
- chunky sounds
- repetitive music
- unwieldy handling

Conquering (or at least raiding) other player's bases would be the Unique Selling Point of DoW. Without it, its just another RTS noone cares to play.

TL;DR: Original poster is right.

Then tell me why the company making age of empire online didn't used the same graphic as age of empire 3?

Bad performance was due to some bugs
-chunky sounds I never had those
-repetitive music is changed as well.

Conquering other player's bases would be a piece of crap. Although if that happens I'l be sure to take the names of all the kids on this forum who keep asking for it and destroy them over and over

Azmodeus
09-07-2011, 07:59 AM
I think the game is really good but will need some fixes to achieve perfection
What bothers me mostly about the game is the combat.
When I was going to do one of those "siege NPC lord" quest the swordsmen had a really big problem trying to attack the archers on the wall. I had to click on each archer in order to kill them. Not to mention that the swordsmen ran out as soon as I stopped giving them commands.
But then again the game is in beta and it's progressing the right way. I used to play Darkfall Online actively before and lol it was a mess, the devs only wrote on late fridays and didn't respond to any comments on the forums. So coming from that non existent communication forum to this is like gold to me. I mean I was astonished!

TL;DR YOU GUYS SHOULD STOP THE *****IN' AND BE GRATEFUL!

andreicde
09-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I think the game is really good but will need some fixes to achieve perfection
What bothers me mostly about the game is the combat.
When I was going to do one of those "siege NPC lord" quest the swordsmen had a really big problem trying to attack the archers on the wall. I had to click on each archer in order to kill them. Not to mention that the swordsmen ran out as soon as I stopped giving them commands.
But then again the game is in beta and it's progressing the right way. I used to play Darkfall Online actively before and lol it was a mess, the devs only wrote on late fridays and didn't respond to any comments on the forums. So coming from that non existent communication forum to this is like gold to me. I mean I was astonished!

TL;DR YOU GUYS SHOULD STOP THE *****IN' AND BE GRATEFUL!

that's the reason why I take care of all the kids that keep comparing the game with others and that keep saying how graphic sucks and all.Many of the other games have poor communication on forums so here it's just amazing. Also EPIC graphics CAN be done but it would require people to buy last generation computers.And let's face it not everyone can shell out 2000 bucks for a computer just to enjoy a game. Besides graphics seem fine for me.

Azmodeus
09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
[...]Also EPIC graphics CAN be done but it would require people to buy last generation computers.And let's face it not everyone can shell out 2000 bucks for a computer just to enjoy a game. Besides graphics seem fine for me.

I wouldn't say it would take top notch comps to handle it... just good optimization.
I play with:
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series X2
AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
4 gig ram

And still the game stutters from time to time.
As I said, the game needs some work :)

Konstantin Fomenko
09-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Gentlemen - thank you for the kind words and your support.

We all know what`s coming on the release day - lots and lots of trolling. We really should add a "Complaints" link to the main menu that takes people to the TroLoLo song. :)

Some of the release day complaints will be justified - as it`s clear we won`t be able to fix every single bug for the release - however, with dedicated team and publishers support - we expect DoF to be close to perfection - at least bug wise - with-in few weeks after release. I always dreamed of the month long vacation once we release the game - instead the team is sticking around for non-stop bug fixing marathon.:p;

I`m really glad to see we can count on our community for anti-trolling / de-trolling. Thanks!

andreicde
09-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Gentlemen - thank you for the kind words and your support.

We all know what`s coming on the release day - lots and lots of trolling. We really should add a "Complaints" link to the main menu that takes people to the TroLoLo song. :)

Some of the release day complaints will be justified - as it`s clear we won`t be able to fix every single bug for the release - however, with dedicated team and publishers support - we expect DoF to be close to perfection - at least bug wise - with-in few weeks after release. I always dreamed of the month long vacation once we release the game - instead the team is sticking around for non-stop bug fixing marathon.:p;

I`m really glad to see we can count on our community for anti-trolling / de-trolling. Thanks!

np,you owe me a dragon :D.

No just kidding lol. But it kinda sucks when you see people getting mad for reasons that are normal.Heck,I saw retail that had bad issues.I don't see reasons to get mad when game is in open beta. We aren't paying yet so....

xeovy
09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
The game has improved, I have not played for days, because war kingdoms is not my favorite.
The last game I played the kingdoms war, and worked much better.
My PC, an Intel Core Duo E8500 to 3.2,4 gb memory and 1GB ATI HD 4870, was good fps.
Only by selecting many Army units, down the fps, but the solution was to drop fast or selecting less.
I played a campaign with no any serious problems.
earlier in the online kingdom, entering the cities, the game fell, or was a long time to load, clone army and the hero, .........
Now these bugs do not happen
Is an example of the game is better and that programmers are on the right path.
Thanks also to have communication with players and make us feel like part of the team.
the troll, best to ignore.

Slimebeast
09-08-2011, 05:48 AM
I'm confused. I heard of this game many years ago, got very excited but later kind of lost interest because the development was so slow and because the demo videos were a bit messy and confusing.

I always thought this game was PvP focused. But it isn't? Can you play the game PvE only, without ever engaging real human opponents in PvP?

One more question: in PvP, can I destroy other player's towns?

I agree with the OP, I am not very interested in conquering NPC castles, I want to engage other humans just like in AoE 2 online.

Henry Martin
09-08-2011, 11:42 AM
The game is like other MMOs that have PvP and PvE. There are quests, AI castle sieges, etc and you can attack other players armies/castles.

You can't completely destroy a players town (where he/she loses it, you take it over and he/she has to start a new game/town), but you pretty much destroy his army and raze his town. He/she can still rebuild it.

knightl
12-07-2011, 02:12 PM
you ragers are gonna be in shock when all the expansions (free maybe) come out and you get invaded by npc's

Joseph Visscher
12-07-2011, 04:56 PM
you ragers are gonna be in shock when all the expansions (free maybe) come out and you get invaded by npc's

What do you mean "free maybe" it will still cost Wealth/Influence. ;)

knightl
12-07-2011, 09:09 PM
What do you mean "free maybe" it will still cost Wealth/Influence. ;)

by maybe i meant you might use real moolah on wealth or you might crush some noobs

which i hope konstanio (spelling?) will stop doing!

Novakiller
12-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Before i say anything I haven't read every post in this thread, didn't think i needed to read everyone's thoughts on what i personally wanted to say on the subject.

It really annoys me when people start comparing games to one another because the likes of eve-online is VASTLY different from what DOF is, they are in two completely different genres, in two completely different types on MMOs. EVE online has been around officially since 2003, so that's what, 8 years? compared to DOF that has litterly only just been released a month or so ago!!! and are you seriously going to show the eve map compared to the DOF one? seriously? CCP is a MASSIVE!!! company, its the 3rd biggest income of their entire country! with masses of resources despite the recent lay-offs. Reverie is tiny, and it takes TIME to do anything, its absolutely incredible how much they have rolled out since launch, a real testament to the team at hand, EVE online was HALF!!! if not MORE then half its map size at its launch for a start!! CCP have had 8 years to develop that.

Now onto the comparrison of actual gameplay between the two, even though eve and DOF are in two completely genres of games people seem to think they can still compare the two. If you really dont know the different between an RTS and an RPG, you really need to go look that up, SERIOUSLY!!! google search will tell you all you need to know. Considering how long it ACTUALLY can take building up an army in an RTS game especially in a MMO world, being able to completely destroy a player would be so counter productive, its stupid to think that being able to completely anihlate a player would add some kind of awesome gameplay people want and having to start from scratch that might take ages to build back up again is insane! EVE online you control 1 character, and 1 ship, that once you get destroyed, you can simply by another ship in a matter of seconds, building a castle from scratch in a matter of seconds is NOT the same thing. EVE though harsh presistant world, is QUICK to regain any losses back unless your stupid enough to pvp with officer loot then thats on your head.

The only way to completely destroy players in DOF in the future would be possibly something to do with the Alliances game play, where alliance main castle forts could be completely destroyed, (yes having the ability in the alliance to build some sort of massive castle stronghold) with all of the players resources or something. That way it gives alliances something to work for, as well as other alliances to fight for.

Please do not compare DOF to other games because its simply NOT LIKE other games, and for heaven sake, its only just been released, the potential for this game is amazing, you HAVE to be more patient and give it time, at least the devs ACTUALLY literately listen to what we want and try to implement what we want and need in the game.

Safey18
12-08-2011, 04:35 AM
This guys got it all wrong. Not having town conquering is catering to the much larger non-hardcore gamers of today. A lot of people freak out at the thought of losing all their time and effort and the game would just end up as a group of elitists face rolling new comers with town conquering. PvP is hardcore enough for most people with permanent unit loss and the rewards (influence) are awesome without having to destroy someone elses game.

Deathfrmabove
12-08-2011, 04:46 AM
I would have to agree with Safey18 couldn't say it better myself. I would be pretty upset to lose my city...

andreicde
12-08-2011, 01:22 PM
actually the nr 1 issue people seem to forget is that having the ability to totally annihilate a player would be bad for an easy reason: alliance

The players who started at the beginning like me could ally with the other people that started early and destroy everyone and not leave any opposition. that wouldn't be nice. Imagine starting the first day and suddenly a massive army attacks you,invades you and destroys everything. Or after a week of playing,same scenario happens again.It would be like Travian but without any chances of retaliation. If you start late on that browser game,most of the time the only way to escape is building away so that people can't reach you. That's not possible here.

knightl
12-14-2011, 01:47 AM
actually the nr 1 issue people seem to forget is that having the ability to totally annihilate a player would be bad for an easy reason: alliance

The players who started at the beginning like me could ally with the other people that started early and destroy everyone and not leave any opposition. that wouldn't be nice. Imagine starting the first day and suddenly a massive army attacks you,invades you and destroys everything. Or after a week of playing,same scenario happens again.It would be like Travian but without any chances of retaliation. If you start late on that browser game,most of the time the only way to escape is building away so that people can't reach you. That's not possible here.

looking at you kon take my stone

knightl
12-14-2011, 01:52 AM

you are one of those people who complain about bugs then when they work on bugs before features you complain the games empty imagine a whole ton of features but without Reverie's bug fixes you won't be able to run the game at all

aka: STOP WHINING and be thankful

szebus
12-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Let's put it this way, You don't conquer player towns in thsi game, only ransack them and cripple enemy support while you can. With alliances on and possibility of NPC town capturing you'll see how mutch better use dose this have.

Edit: Oh, and it is not Warcraft where a peasant ca tear down youre walls.