PDA

View Full Version : Special units?

sharplion
06-25-2008, 11:43 AM
I know that the elves got the treebeard thing and I know that the orcs have that giant(or what the name is..) but what does the humans have? do they have monsters or special units they can mount on or just command? Are there going to be titans in DoF like in Battle for middle-earth/age of mythology?

curios
SharpLion

Jean=A=Luc
06-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Well, all units are special (for each race) and those Elves' and Orcs' units aren't really super units as you seam to view them. The Tree of War is basically a siege engine while the Troll/Ogre/Hill Giant is probably a support units meant to supplement the Orc and Goblin swarms as a heavy hitter.

Joseph Visscher
06-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Humans will have more Heroes then the other races, heroes are mostly showcased and used in the campaign.

ash12181987
06-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Will there be Any steampunk human 'technology'?

I know it's not a focus, like say for example, Rise of Legends; but, with talk of hero units, I just wonder if there is any kind of tech based character with davinci-esque look and a "Rocket attack" button.

Neotyguy40
06-28-2008, 09:17 AM

I know it's not a focus, like say for example, Rise of Legends; but, with talk of hero units, I just wonder if there is any kind of tech based character with davinci-esque look and a "Rocket attack" button.

He just wants to blow things up...

Khyron
06-29-2008, 01:14 AM

Steampunk like technology, rocket technology, if implemented correct could be nice. However a Hero with a Rocket attack button screams to me as needing some sort of artillery unit on the board and the hero just marks the target.

A Steam Powered Tank would be a very interesting unit impenatrable front armor(only seige and powerful magic can penitrate) moderate side armor and tinfoil rear armor. A steam powered cannon maybe a steam sprayer. A powerful weapon but i do see steam power and gun powder more the dwarf or Gnome territory.

As for numerous Human heros I am hopeing for the ability to Specialize them lets say make a Dragon slayer that can lock down a dragon for a time and do serious amount of damage against it. Or an Orc slayer Big strong sweaping attack mode for the swarms and a power attack for the Orc heros. Finaly a fast hero one able to kep up with those darn elves maybe gives allies a dodge bonus vs arrows and a quicker march speed.

Andy Joslin
06-29-2008, 11:25 AM
As for numerous Human heros I am hopeing for the ability to Specialize them lets say make a Dragon slayer that can lock down a dragon for a time and do serious amount of damage against it. Or an Orc slayer Big strong sweaping attack mode for the swarms and a power attack for the Orc heros. Finaly a fast hero one able to kep up with those darn elves maybe gives allies a dodge bonus vs arrows and a quicker march speed.
All these things are semi-easily possible with the editor.

Puppeteer
06-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Steam Powered Tank
Urgh no, please don't

The Witch King of Angmar
06-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Maybe there could be something like that for the dwarves.

GhostITD
06-29-2008, 05:54 PM
that would be really awesome if they had those ha ha

Puppeteer
06-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Maybe for the dwarves. Doesn't fit for the humans, to be perfectly honest.

The Witch King of Angmar
06-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah humans wouldn't go into engine technology in a medival age that much. The furthest they go in means of mechanics is really a catapult.

Sauron_9Gods9_Ldr
06-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Sigh antoher post i haft to clear in age of mythioligy ttians where not considered a power unit considering every one could use them and they where more of a tie breaker. In bFME the power units you speak of where either very exspences so not alot of use and that the game was unballiced in general. So adding a power unit as u call it to DoF for humans is unfair and yeah like others said Men had lots of chapians and heros for their armys no big ass eagles or ents thats what makes the human the humans their stack of heros and long army witha ll diff sort of weapens men are crafters forgers do not ask doF to give men a so called power unit to ruin the game like in bfme2 with the dwarfs. You are clearly not understanding the midevil time age and you should not play medevil games if you can not see this Gods~ (and no this is not a flam post)

ash12181987
06-30-2008, 02:35 PM
I was asking, because I have the same opinion as tWKoA, Puppeteer, and GhostITD... Humans+technology=no fun.

Dwarves+Technology=Totally F-ing Sweet.

Joseph Visscher
06-30-2008, 02:51 PM
I was asking, because I have the same opinion as tWKoA, Puppeteer, and GhostITD... Humans+technology=no fun.

Dwarves+Technology=Totally F-ing Sweet.

We’ve taking that into account and we have given Dwarves a Particle Accelerator Beam Cannon which they now use instead of an army of pickaxe Dwarves, they use it to now vaporize gold mines into liquid gold down a pipeline underground, which is perfect transportation underground in there titanium nuclear bunkers 14.7 miles underground. That’s quite a bit of pipe to go down there massive elevator shafts, they are quite the race aren’t they?
:D Kidding, obviously, if you thought I was being serious for a second there your insane.

ash12181987
06-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Awwww... Only Particle Accelerators?

Joseph Visscher
06-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Awwww... Only Particle Accelerators?

Well they have Particle Accelerator Beam Blasters also, which they use instead of archers, a lot better too, it vaporizes entire armies into liquid gore, the dragons like dwarves now because they drink the vaporized armies, its very healthy metal-e-flesh juice for dragons.
LOL! :p That would be a sight to see, then incredibly stupid afterwards.

Khyron
06-30-2008, 08:45 PM
All these things are semi-easily possible with the editor.

I was actualy hopeing for it to be in the MMORTS kind of a preview for what the possible Legend mode could be.

Well they have Particle Accelerator Beam Blasters also, which they use instead of archers, a lot better too, it vaporizes entire armies into liquid gore, the dragons like dwarves now because they drink the vaporized armies, its very healthy metal-e-flesh juice for dragons.
LOL! :p That would be a sight to see, then incredibly stupid afterwards.

MMMmmmm Dragon Soup.

I do agree that the Steam tank would be a better unit for Dwarves of Gnomes should they be added later, given the current concept of human technology. I must point out that it is the Designers of the game that decide if Humans or Dwarves should have technolog; if elves are tree huggers/city builders, or if Orcs are bloodthirsty brute/or civilized.

frankein_fish
07-01-2008, 03:15 AM
a lot better too, it vaporizes entire armies into liquid gore,

GORE!!!!!!!!!! I love gore give me gore (Low hissing voiche)

Thiefbrood
07-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Humans will have more Heroes then the other races, heroes are mostly showcased and used in the campaign.

Well then I'm sure hoping the other races have an advantage over the Human's then? :-)

Neotyguy40
07-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Yea, humans can't build wherever they want :p .

Dragons will master the sky, so it will be hard to kill a royal dragon...

ash12181987
07-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Looks like Dragons wont be too weak on ground either, considering the talk of all the subraces that they have under them. IE: Half Orcs, Half Dragons... ect.

LordSlayer
07-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Looks like Dragons wont be too weak on ground either, considering the talk of all the subraces that they have under them. IE: Half Orcs, Half Dragons... ect.

It doesn't matter if they are strong on the ground because they'll just burn everything before landing :D

Generation
07-02-2008, 03:42 PM
that's true and the dragons may be very cheap on this game and i wanna kno when the decided for it to come out and it better not be delayed

Khyron
07-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Well then I'm sure hoping the other races have an advantage over the Human's then? :-)

Lets see Dragons will have Dragons. Elves will most likely have more powerful magic or more magic, and what ever other surprises the Dev's have for us. Orcs most likely will have stronger mêlée oriented hero's in addition to the hoard tactics they will have.

nickson104
07-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Sigh antoher post i haft to clear in age of mythioligy ttians where not considered a power unit considering every one could use them and they where more of a tie breaker. In bFME the power units you speak of where either very exspences so not alot of use and that the game was unballiced in general. So adding a power unit as u call it to DoF for humans is unfair and yeah like others said Men had lots of chapians and heros for their armys no big ass eagles or ents thats what makes the human the humans their stack of heros and long army witha ll diff sort of weapens men are crafters forgers do not ask doF to give men a so called power unit to ruin the game like in bfme2 with the dwarfs. You are clearly not understanding the midevil time age and you should not play medevil games if you can not see this Gods~ (and no this is not a flam post)

Am i the only one who cant understand him? i mean i can... but it takes ages to figure out the words :p i mean he uses plenty of good english, then tries and fails to use leetspeak... badly... I mean come on 'the power units you speak of where either very exspences so not alot of use and that the game was unballiced in general' now thats terrible, im sorry if english is not your first language but you obviously know the words and therefore know at least roughly how their spelt.... unballiced - unbalanced? hmmmm nah

anyways moving on....
humans having more heros sounds good, their like the race that has more heroics and paladins and such anyway so thats about right
dragons having dragons sounds sensible :p lol
orcs spamming units and strong melee also sounds about right
elves being natural archers and good mages sounds right also, just dont make them overly powerful with the arrows lol :)
dwarves and gnomes being used for the technological races is also right (although their not out yet ^^) i just dont like the fact that it is going to technology brings with it guns and gunpowder *hiss*

Khyron
07-12-2008, 09:50 PM
elves being natural archers and good mages sounds right also, just dont make them overly powerful with the arrows lol :)
dwarves and gnomes being used for the technological races is also right (although their not out yet ^^) i just dont like the fact that it is going to technology brings with it guns and gunpowder *hiss*

Ranged combat is always difficult to balance range, damage, rate of fire. I have played few games that have neither made ranged useless or over-powered. An Elven hero that is godly with a bow would not be to bad so long as an army of them cant be made.

Technology Vs. Magic has the same problem as ranged combat easy to mess up hard to get correct. I am one person who would rather not see gunpowder in a fantasy setting unless it is used exclusively as an explosive bomb by siege engineers.

ash12181987
07-13-2008, 01:11 AM
I must concur with Khyron, Technology should be limited to seige engines.

Well, until we make dwarves... then I want flying... death... fortress... mead halls or something

nickson104
07-13-2008, 04:04 AM
I am one person who would rather not see gunpowder in a fantasy setting unless it is used exclusively as an explosive bomb by siege engineers.

Agreed, thats the only use of gunpowder in LOTR and they actually pulled it off quite well.

Also the ranged arguement you provided was good to know :) and yeah as long as they cant make godly heros or at least not an army of them (as seen in LOTR...) then it should be alright... im guessing that the general rules apply? cavalry < spears < infantry < archers < cavalry

Puppeteer
07-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Archers aren't always defeated by Knights. Read up on Agincourt. Suckers :p
And Sauron's ultimate downfall was his punctuation (the member, not the Maia ;))

nickson104
07-13-2008, 01:36 PM
And Sauron's ultimate downfall was his punctuation (the member, not the Maia)

lol good comeback puppet :p just walk up to a french guy and mutter that under your breath :) the results should be quite comic :)
yes sauron has very bad punctuation

Sharku
07-16-2008, 03:11 PM
It would be cool for, when they are added, Dwarven "wizards" use enchanted gunpowder and explosives as a replacement for actual fireballs and such. I've never actually seen a Dwarf magic user that wasn't some sort of Rune Priest or some such and I think this gunpowder unit would be interesting to play.

ash12181987
07-17-2008, 07:33 AM
And Sauron's ultimate downfall was his punctuation (the member, not the Maia ;))

Crecy... The third crusade...

We need Mounted archers though *Rubs hands together* I want to recreate the Parthian campaign... death by molten gold and everything

Puppeteer
07-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Lest we not forget Crécy! Agincour is more famous and doesn't have an accent :p

aVeron
08-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Hmm. This was posted by a developer of DoF:
"-There will be booster packs, similar to SAGA. But much less random, and with more variety and options. Booster packs will give player option of buying resources, more units, new unit types e.t.c at game`s website."

Wonder if that still stands(?).. if so then i guess those 'new units' are going to be some sort of special units.. Eitherhow, special or not.. i think its great to update the game during its course(in MMO mode).

Mrdash
08-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I dont like the idea of buying recources and units. Its one thing to "unlock" new factions and or unit types and maps and such but nothing that gives you too big of a advantage. One of the reasons I have never liked alot of Gameforges games. If you had the cash you could go buy everything you wanted and pwn ppl who couldnt.

nickson104
08-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Hmm. This was posted by a developer of DoF:
"-There will be booster packs, similar to SAGA. But much less random, and with more variety and options. Booster packs will give player option of buying resources, more units, new unit types e.t.c at game`s website."

Wonder if that still stands(?).. if so then i guess those 'new units' are going to be some sort of special units.. Eitherhow, special or not.. i think its great to update the game during its course(in MMO mode).

Where did you find that? :/ i never found anything along those lines in my researching of this game, it had better not be boosters, that was exactly why i hated saga because if you dont have much money you get totally pwned by people who do and its so unfair, i thought it was the average retail game?

aVeron
08-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Well then you should search more..

And its not written in stone yet.. You can find that information in this thread:

http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226&page=3&highlight=address+monthly+fee%2Fnew

At Post #28.

Esculas the Mighty
08-10-2008, 12:08 PM
no booster packs!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

nickson104
08-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Well then you should search more..

And its not written in stone yet.. You can find that information in this thread:

http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226&page=3&highlight=address+monthly+fee%2Fnew

At Post #28.

Ah yes thank you for the link... cant believed i missed that thread there are too many threads that are too similar on the forums that are hiding others :(

I see... yeah well i hope it works out for reverie but i know for a fact that even if and when i get the game i will never get a booster. It is against my nature and i refuse to do it, i just hope that those who do buy boosters are still fightable when you dont have a booster

aVeron
08-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Yeah.. surely there will be a limit for boosters or something.. or the boosters might only bring eye candy.. new skins or something..

Esculas the Mighty
08-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Ah yes thank you for the link... cant believed i missed that thread there are too many threads that are too similar on the forums that are hiding others :(

I see... yeah well i hope it works out for reverie but i know for a fact that even if and when i get the game i will never get a booster. It is against my nature and i refuse to do it, i just hope that those who do buy boosters are still fightable when you dont have a booster

99.9% of the time they arent :(

nickson104
08-12-2008, 12:01 PM
99.9% of the time they arent :(

Aye and that is what annoys me about boosters

Phylast
03-30-2009, 11:16 AM

Will heroes requires a lot of attention? Meaning, for a hero to be effective, will I need to manage most of their actions constantly? Kind of like in Warcraft 3?

Puppeteer
03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
I'd hope so. He's a leader, not a one man army.

nickson104
03-30-2009, 04:40 PM
I'd hope so. He's a leader, not a one man army.

*cough* LOTRBFME *cough*

Puppeteer
03-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Indeed. But we'll have none of that profanity here, thank you.

LiTos456
03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
*cough* LOTRBFME *cough*

Hey that game was awesome, I loved it