PDA

View Full Version : Question & Answer Thread

olauwers
06-23-2007, 04:55 PM
I thought we could might use one.

Question: Will there be a single player option, possibly even a single player campaign? Or will all be multiplayer?

Ndition
06-23-2007, 05:57 PM
It will be both if I'm not wrong :P

The Witch King of Angmar
06-23-2007, 06:30 PM
I thought we could might use one.

Question: Will there be a single player option, possibly even a single player campaign? Or will all be multiplayer?

It will be both.

Doug Bonds
06-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Yes, there will be a single player campaign.

SPARROW94
06-24-2007, 12:09 PM
BUT can u choose the race u want to play with or do like have to play as each one once in a while

Ryan Zelazny
06-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Each race will have their own campaign, much like Warcraft 3. You will have to complete each of them to get the ending to the story.

olauwers
06-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks for answering!

SPARROW94
06-30-2007, 12:17 PM
will it be better then halo2

jap88
06-30-2007, 12:40 PM
It's not that hard to beat the storyline of Halo 2 :p The original had a good one though.... I hope it's a halfway decent storyline. The worst one i've seen to date is the Age of Empires 3 campaign. I swear if this one turns out to be the same i will bash DoF for all eternity :p

Alexander Flegler
06-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Did you like the campaigns in Empire Earth or Empires: Dawn of the Modern World? Then you'll like Dawn of Fantasy's storyline... and it will be even better ;)

The Witch King of Angmar
06-30-2007, 07:19 PM
It's not that hard to beat the storyline of Halo 2 :p The original had a good one though.... I hope it's a halfway decent storyline. The worst one i've seen to date is the Age of Empires 3 campaign. I swear if this one turns out to be the same i will bash DoF for all eternity :p

How is AOE3 storyline bad? It's history! It's not like they can change it or anything.

SPARROW94
06-30-2007, 08:54 PM
Plagrasism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol jk

jap88
07-01-2007, 10:12 AM
E: DoTMW was a hugely underplayed game, and i loved it (despite the flaws) but the campaign was ok, i didn't find it all that great. Same wit EE, except it wasn't an underplayed game :p I hope it will be better than those ones. Although i wouldn't be dissapointed if it simply reached the same level as those.

The AOE3 storyline was terrible and had little if any base in actual history ;)

Solomai
07-02-2007, 06:53 AM
How is AOE3 storyline bad? It's history! It's not like they can change it or anything.

Just don't forget, history is written by the victor

The Witch King of Angmar
07-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Just don't forget, history is written by the victor

Yeah I know. That is the problem I have with those kind of games. Like on BFME I would win with Isengard at Helm's Deep which was not what happened. But the cool thing I like is how they altered the storyline really well to make it still fit such as in BFME2 (not what actually happened) when Mordor destroyed Minas Tirith as well as Erebor and Lorien, all of his army headed out to destroy Rivendell because if those places would have gotten destroyed, that is probably what would have happened in the books. Lol I actually gave EA credit for something :p.

Sharku
07-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Will weather be a factor in the game or is it just for scenery or will it be in at all?

The Witch King of Angmar
07-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Will weather be a factor in the game or is it just for scenery or will it be in at all?

It will be a factor I think. For instance at night people may have torches to improve their LOS and then it may rain putting out the torches.

Sharku
07-16-2007, 02:36 PM
It will be a factor I think. For instance at night people may have torches to improve their LOS and then it may rain putting out the torches.That will be really interesting. I saw a castle in a desert on one of the screenshots. I magine how cool would it be, your besieging them then all of a sudden a sand storm comes blasting in obscuring vision. That would be so sweet.

Irish_PXzyan
07-17-2007, 07:43 AM
rain putting fire out would be pretty good! For example:
Orcs are destroying your buildings but because of the rain, its harder for the buildings to crumble due to the fires being put out! :p

But it would also be handy to have an option to turn this weather effects off! like in Empire Earth 2..weather was terrible!!

Ryan Zelazny
07-17-2007, 10:19 AM
We haven't written anything in stone about weather as of yet. We will have weather effects such as rain and snow. I think Sand storms would be a cool idea, though i'm not sure how many dessert maps we are going to have. One thing we thought about doing was having your units leave tracks in certain types of terrain, such a snow, or mud, that would make it easier for your enemies to find you, or for you to lure your enemies into an ambush.

Javier
07-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Weather effects will be cool. They can either be set for map, or summoned by powers, like in BFME. Leaving tracks is certainly a good idea, and you could even have some units specialized in tracking... scouts/hunters. I've always liked this kind of units, and I'd love to see them in DoF.

One more question: is there a day/night cycle in maps?

Sharku
07-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Yes there is, complete with torches and lanterns that increase your LoS.

jap88
07-18-2007, 02:45 PM
I can't wait :cool:

Sharku
07-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I cannot seem to fully grasp the mount idea for calvary. Are all mounts going to be riderless at first or will some have riders already on them? And if they do come out riderless can they still be used in combat?

The Witch King of Angmar
07-20-2007, 04:17 PM
I cannot seem to fully grasp the mount idea for calvary. Are all mounts going to be riderless at first or will some have riders already on them? And if they do come out riderless can they still be used in combat?

Yeah I'd think so. Probably from your town center you can purchase horses and build a stable that produces horses and mount infantry on them. It would especially be cool if andy unit could mount so you would have regular horsemen, horse archers and spearmen as well.

olauwers
07-24-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm guessing it will be somewhat like the Stronghold series, where you can have knights on horses and knights on foot. When the knights on horses' horses die, they become regular knights.

I also have a new question, when your castle gets overrun in multiplayer mode, will you just have to start over from zero? I can imagine it's quite frustrating to loose all your hard work with one stupid battle.

Super Nova
07-24-2007, 07:23 PM
I got a question about pop how much pop will there be in the game (or maxium)?Do have to build houses for more pop because dont get me wrong building houses are nice but u will have use up so much land and in the mmorts u will only have some much land ? Right?

And over time will ur pop (workes,armys and what not)need food like eat it?

The Witch King of Angmar
07-25-2007, 08:00 AM
I got a question about pop how much pop will there be in the game (or maxium)?Do have to build houses for more pop because dont get me wrong building houses are nice but u will have use up so much land and in the mmorts u will only have some much land ? Right?

And over time will ur pop (workes,armys and what not)need food like eat it?

Yeah that's what food is used for. I think pop will be based on your amount of resource buildings or just resources in general.

jap88
07-25-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure about upkeep with food, gold, etc. but chances are you will need houses and such to increase the pop limit. I'd imagine that since this is an MMORTS the max will be quite high however, maybe even up to that of coassacks which i have never hit the limit for to this day.

entvex
07-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Question:how will buildings work ?
i have seen the trailer and I see BIG city's is that some thing the player build all from scratch or is a the Castle going to pre-build ?

jap88
07-25-2007, 12:02 PM
If you watched the feauterette it says that you start from humble begginings or something like that, i believe you start from scratch. (which is the way i'd prefer personally)

SPARROW94
07-25-2007, 12:19 PM
yeah i agree with jap

AJP
07-26-2007, 01:54 AM
Will this game be easily modable?
I'm no modder myself, but it would be cool to know in the unlikely event of me getting bored of this game that total conversions are possible.

Silent_Lamb
07-26-2007, 04:08 AM
On the home page of the site it says that even people without any ability at all will be able to make their own scenarios, maps, ect.

It also says that people with a lot of codding skill will be able to do more things with it, and that it ships with a very powerful game editor. I'm assuming this means that total conversions will be supported.

Darvin
07-26-2007, 12:45 PM
When I read the descriptions of the map editor, the warcraft III editor comes to mind immediately. That was an extremely powerful tool. Like anything, it had a learning curve, but compared to others like it that editor offered unparallelled accessibility to those with little or no experience. If that's the role model for the DoF editor, we have nothing to fear.

WhiteHawk
07-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm guessing it will be somewhat like the Stronghold series, where you can have knights on horses and knights on foot. When the knights on horses' horses die, they become regular knights.

I also have a new question, when your castle gets overrun in multiplayer mode, will you just have to start over from zero? I can imagine it's quite frustrating to loose all your hard work with one stupid battle.

Well from what I've read I can assure you that horses ( and the other mounts ) have independant health, which means that either the rider is hit too much and dies, falling off the horse ( allowing the horse to be taken by other units ) or the horse succumbs first and the rider is forced to fight on foot. ( Or they both get killed at the same time by a very powerful spell =P )

When it comes to starting over, I think that when you are defeated you roll back to how you were 2 battles ago with extra damage to your walls.

jap88
08-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Here's a question. Will you be able to capture buildings, cattle, or artillery pieces if unguarded like in Cossacks?

olauwers
08-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Seeing the people working on this game, and some of the things they said so far, I believe that this game might turn out to have the best editor in the hitory of gaming...

The Witch King of Angmar
08-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Here's a question. Will you be able to capture buildings, cattle, or artillery pieces if unguarded like in Cossacks?

Yeah I think so. It would be cool if these things were guarded by creeps.

Ryan Zelazny
08-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Seeing the people working on this game, and some of the things they said so far, I believe that this game might turn out to have the best editor in the hitory of gaming...

Thanks for the kind words Olauwers, hopefully we can make this a fact.

Konstantin Fomenko
08-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words Olauwers, hopefully we can make this a fact.

That was our goal from the start. And thanks - hopefully we won`t disappoint.

At this point our editor can rival most of the top AAA RTS editors. With over half a year ahead of us, and one programmer constantly working on the editor I think we are on track.

Konstantin Fomenko
08-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Yes. Players will be able to capture the whole Stronghold of the fallen enemy in both regular skirmish mode and MMORTS, however - in MMORTS match this captured town is not persistent, and would only be accessible during the current engagement.

Players can also capture enemy`s mounts from any race.

jap88
08-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Alright, Men mounting wolfbeasts would be awesome!

The Witch King of Angmar
08-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Alright, Men mounting wolfbeasts would be awesome!

Man that will be cool. What will they mount on though?

olauwers
08-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Not sure if this was asked already, but is there any planned demo, and is there a planned release date for said demo?

Darvin
08-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Demos usually precede the game by about a month, so you're probably looking at Q1 2008 for that, too :-P