PDA

View Full Version : Top Medieval RTS games!

sharplion
06-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Hey, here is my list of my favourite medieval RTS games:

( 1 ) Battle for Middle-earth II

& 2 & Age of Empires II: age of kings (AoE III is boring -.-)

3 Age of Mythology: The Titans (ahh a goodie)

" 4 " Settlers III ( Settlers IV and V is not even close to the fun this game gives)

5 WarCraft III ( it rocks with the expansions)

If I have missed some cool medieval RTS titles ( and I mean not Total war or Praetorians -.- ) please post them ^^o
Post your top medieval RTS games here

cheers(!)

iceblast
06-16-2008, 01:51 PM
half of them arn't medieval.

Stronghold is the best game u can get for medivealness.

sharplion
06-16-2008, 01:51 PM
half of them arn't medieval.

Stronghold is the best game u can get for medivealness.

sure thing but I dont like the graphics!

olauwers
06-16-2008, 03:38 PM

That's hardly a medieval game. But it's one of the best RTS's out there, so what the hey? :p

Strongholds are of course a classic.

Medieval Total War II isn't bad.

The Settlers IV is a great game though. I agree with you that the fifth completely ruined the series, but the fourth was nice.

Joseph Visscher
06-19-2008, 10:00 AM
My gladiator maps/games I made for bfme2 had to have been the funnest ever, Gladiator Underworld Return Of Morgoth. :rolleyes:

iceblast
06-19-2008, 01:24 PM
:rolleyes: your maps were something special jbv :).

aVeron
07-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Hm.. well if you mean Medieval as in our historical time.. then its obviously Medieval 2:total war along with its mods!

But with fantasy theme, i would have to say warcraft III..

Puppeteer
07-16-2008, 10:59 AM
I never really like the Total War series, to me they were nothing special at all

ash12181987
07-16-2008, 02:29 PM
I love Medieval II myself. *Shrug*

But for the most standard RTS experience in terms of Medieval gaming... Stronghold 2. The original Stronghold Crusader will always hold a place in my heart (I think if they had combined aspects from those two games into one, they would have had a Wonderful game... But), but I still vote for SH2.

I think for me, I love castle creation and city building thrown in with my troop management. In fact my only complaints in SH2 come from how poorly IMO they executed the county system, the lack of variation in the wall heights, the troop models stacking (So at times you could have 400 guys taking up the space of one and not know it), and the troops rather 2-d depth strategically (I myself perferring a more RPG based approach like in DoF).

Loholt
07-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Stronghold is probably the best.

If you count only medieval RTS games.

nickson104
07-17-2008, 05:40 AM
I love Medieval II myself. *Shrug*

But for the most standard RTS experience in terms of Medieval gaming... Stronghold 2. The original Stronghold Crusader will always hold a place in my heart (I think if they had combined aspects from those two games into one, they would have had a Wonderful game... But), but I still vote for SH2.

I think for me, I love castle creation and city building thrown in with my troop management. In fact my only complaints in SH2 come from how poorly IMO they executed the county system, the lack of variation in the wall heights, the troop models stacking (So at times you could have 400 guys taking up the space of one and not know it), and the troops rather 2-d depth strategically (I myself perferring a more RPG based approach like in DoF).

Yup agree with you totally there, one time there was this glitch where my pictish boatmen actually walked through my friends wall and up his tower causing him to take a lot of fatalities (and a good distraction for my assassins who took out his leader) That game was extremely glitchy yes but it had one of the most medieval feels to it and the castle building was just brilliant :)

Medival TW 2 is also an amazing game, yeah theres a lot of glitches there too but the fight graphics are amazing, plus the heigh affected arrows and hidden units added lots of strategy to it, my main downfall to it is in the later years cannons and guns are introduced :( And also if you want a normal field battle the AI always took all manners of siege weapons.

LOTR BFME2 did not live up to my expectation, it is a fun game fair enough however it has many glitches, its online matchmaking sucks, the heros are lesser gods, the elves were overpowered in ranged combat. (if i have left anything out please say so, i just woke up so im not thinkign straight)

Knights of Honour i liked, it wasnt the best game and it definitely didnt have the best graphics but i really liked it. It was like a continuous version of total war game minus the graphics and height affected arrows.

ash12181987
07-17-2008, 07:11 AM
I hear Mount and Blade is suppost to be pretty good, it's a new one. But then, I'm not sure if you'd say thats more RPG or Team based...?

aVeron
07-17-2008, 07:13 AM
Hm.. the thing about medieval 2, is that the vanilla isnt that great, but along with the great mods that has been made by users. is just making it incredible good.. Those who have only tried the vanilla game, havnt seen much..

Stainless steel is for example a incredible mod.

LiveBlackNWhite
04-15-2009, 04:35 PM
A good RTS that I play would be Warhammer: Battle March for the XBOX 360 it's a medieval fantasy game, the gameplay is basically like the total war series. I like the total war series quite a bit. The Age of Empires series was awesome to play when I was a bit younger. Stronghold was as well a very good medieval RTS.

Darvin
04-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Fantasy isn't medieval, strictly speaking.

Medieval: Total War, Stronghold, and Age of Empires II definitely stand proud as the kings of this genre. Hell, I'm tempted to go out and purchase AoE2 again because my disk broke years ago.

Bryan Oakley
04-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Lords of the Realm II.

Kell Aset
04-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Nobody mentioned Knights and Mercharts, that was good game, hmn I could say a little like Settlers, but it's story was nothing special.
Ahh and another very pleasant game Tzar: The Burden of the Crown, it was a little medieval and a little fantasy but not much.

szebus
04-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah Knights & Merchants was a great wan, if I remember correctly this one had a seqel named "peasant rebelion".

Kell Aset
04-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Many times first part was played by me but somehow I never touched Peasants Rebellion.

I must add here Black Moon Chronicles, obviously a fantasy game, good one indeed, interesting climate and story, aah and what a great music :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PypvWY2f3_c&feature=related

Game was based on dark fantasy French comic series, and there is also a free MMORPG with hand drawn graphics, http://www.blackmoon-online.com/en/index.php

nickson104
04-17-2009, 04:14 AM
Nobody mentioned Knights and Mercharts, that was good game, hmn I could say a little like Settlers, but it's story was nothing special.
Ahh and another very pleasant game Tzar: The Burden of the Crown, it was a little medieval and a little fantasy but not much.

I played the demo so much but never bought the game, the building aspects on that game are still my favourite :) its fighting was a little lacking but for the age of the game, nothing better is expected really :p it was an awesome game though :) i so regret never getting it

Kell Aset
04-17-2009, 08:52 AM
You missed so much fun, but I say, feeding soldiers over and over again in so short period of time was soooo annoying.

Andy Joslin
04-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Aoe2 is my favorite medieval RTS game (beside DoF:cool: ).

The_Biz
04-18-2009, 03:11 PM
age of empires II still going strong
IGZ has great matchmaking

i think this game (DoF) should beat it for the single player if it gets popular enough (i.e. enough people making campaigns. maybe the reverie employees' work will turn out decent too :p)

multiplayer can't really be judged til after it's out

Asatru
06-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Stronghold ( all of them ) and Mount & Blade.

The best by far.

Of course with Mount & Blade you need to have a couple of good mod's installed but there forums have alot of information about it :)

-Asa

Aametherar
06-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Medieval II total war with Amon Amarth blasting in the background during the battles....total awesomeness...Ok that game wasn't that great but when you mixed the two...whew perfect soundtrack.

I'll just add this since it's not here, don't really have a favorite, but Warcraft Orcs&Humans, I don't care what anyone else says, its totally medieval.

Ok in all honestly an amazing one you guys are missing is Age of Wonders:Shadowmagic. It may not take place in our reality (like WC) but it's totally awesome.

Actual medieval favorite Conqueror 1086 A.D. no contest.

Jagg1890
06-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Hmmm i would also have to put in

Kingdom under fire

EmpressHebihime
06-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Stronghold=Probably the best fortress builder RTS games in my life.

AoE 1 and 2= They're better than the third because of the classic gameplay AoM has a great story campaign but the game play gets pretty messed up with godly powers and creatures.

Settlers 6(only one I've played)= The city building is awesome but the military stuff takes too long time.

Well that's my opinion BFME was good but since these were supposed to be medieval meh I did not include AoM was for the AoE series referance. Long live Ensemble studios with their RTS awesomnes!

Swift sword
06-26-2010, 10:25 PM
age of empires II still going strong
IGZ has great matchmaking

i think this game (DoF) should beat it for the single player if it gets popular enough (i.e. enough people making campaigns. maybe the reverie employees' work will turn out decent too :p)

multiplayer can't really be judged til after it's out

As far as user-created content goes, you shouldn't have to worry- a large number of members around here are looking forward to the editor the most. Heck, half of one of the DoF fansites is from AoMH, a largely designer/modder based community for Age of Mythology. And most of them are very talented, although Reverie stole half of them from us by hiring them (:P).

Mikey
07-11-2010, 03:25 PM
i loved playing AoE 2 i would always spam workers at the start and dig into a forest on the side of the map and build my base in it and wall off a along path into the base lined with towers and a castle

Negthareas
07-12-2010, 11:12 AM
AoE I and II were great, BFME was good, better with mods, BFME2 was lacking, but ok or fantastic with mods.

Were there any mods for AoE 2 that were good?

Miclee
07-12-2010, 11:38 AM
In my opinion, AoE2 didn't need mods to be good.

Josh Warner
07-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Lords of the Realm II.

I'm surprised someone else knows of Lords of the Realm. I have the disc sitting on my desk, I need to get dosbox or something to try and play it again. Loved that game, not my favorite, but I definitely spent a lot of hours with it.

GPS51
07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Oh yeah realms was fun. I only played version 2 but enjoyed that one. We here on the forums tend to like hard to find games because we enjoy good games. Not just the massed produced.

Shadow
07-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I'd switch battle for middle earth II with AoMT... Editor system means a lot to me :p

Bourne
12-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Everyone crossing there fingers for Stronghold3? supposedly they are going back to their roots, I hope they do it right this time!

yneternum
12-05-2010, 03:34 AM
What about BattleForge? It's F2P =)

Polan
12-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Everyone crossing there fingers for Stronghold3? supposedly they are going back to their roots, I hope they do it right this time!
Hm thank you for pointing me it. I tought stronghold series is dead and now I see that they are making third one : D.

Stronghold and cossacks(not so medievalish) are best rts. :)

Valkyria
12-05-2010, 05:42 AM
Medieval 2:total war forever in my heart ^^ then AoE2,

tim1983
12-05-2010, 05:48 AM

i havent personally been impressed with the Stronghold franchise since Stronghold 1.. for me, firefly has failed in improving this franchise big time... Dawn of Fantasy will probably be my new castle building addiction, not Stronghold 3

szebus
12-05-2010, 10:07 AM

Yes, yes, can't wait to see what will they done with the game. After the 3rd Stronghold game it has gone in the wrong direction.

MilwaukeeMac
12-05-2010, 10:26 AM
King Arthur is a very good game in this genre. Excellent graphics with a great storyline. It's non-linear so you can follow your own path.

TC_AZZ
12-05-2010, 05:25 PM
All the Strongholds and Total War series nuff said

Alzeranox
12-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Total Annihilation, oh wait, medieval rts games... still TA is one of the best rts games out there!

DeusVult
12-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Total War series defenetly... Waiting for Shogun 2 )

bdco
12-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I suggest Stronghold games.

jambon99
12-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Stronghold was nice but the AI was really dumb. They are making a new game to be released next year, i hope the have improved the AI. As for Medieval2, That one was awesome but I hated the the politics about the game. Dawn of Fantasy, although I haven't played it yet, looks really nice. It<s always more fun to have real players to exchange with, compare to game you just play alone. Any one of you exchange about the game outside of the house, like work or school. I like to talk about the games i play with my students.

Mannel
12-10-2010, 01:36 PM
I would like to say Civilization II/III but hey, it's not just medieval and I guess it's not RTS. Same with Mount & Blade. Very good medieval but not RTS, more like FPSRTS (if singleplayer).

The best medieval RTS is therefore Total War II. Mainly because I'm not a fan of stronghold and the crappy AI/graphics.

Jack
12-10-2010, 04:44 PM
i dont know many good medival rts games, most of them arent really good but medival 2 (even if you didnt ask for it) is for me the best medival game:D
but also stronghold is an good one.
and mount and blade rocks but is no RTS :(

DeliCious
01-18-2011, 08:54 AM
i was Rank 1 to battle for middle earth 2 to the Xbox360, Medieval 2 -> All but a few worth mentioning

Age of empires 1-2
Stronghold 1-2
Rome Total war
Armies of exigo (what happened?)

Daraim
01-19-2011, 08:12 AM
1. M:TW
2. AOM
3. AOE
4. Stronghold
5. WC3

Manasky
01-19-2011, 08:27 AM
I really enjoyed the first Stronghold.

pkdavid
01-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Total Annihilation, oh wait, medieval rts games... still TA is one of the best rts games out there!

TA Kingdom ? :p

anyone see warrior king battles ?

MTW2 is good but cant build.

Seroni
01-19-2011, 07:21 PM
My Favorite is Age of Empire 2, its a game that had a ton of depth with a lot of re-playability, I don't think there is another Medieval RTS (Maybe Warcraft 3) Better than this one.

Dreeka
01-20-2011, 04:39 AM
My favorite RTS games are Warcaft 3, Age of Empires Series, and Settlers 6.

Bamboocha
01-20-2011, 06:37 AM
1. Empire earth (1)
2. Age of Empires 2
3. Age of Mythology + titans
4. Empire Earth 2
5. Anno 1404 + venice
:)

nobby
01-20-2011, 08:35 AM
O dear!
I cant believe no one has mentioned Majesty & Majesty 2... my favortie RTS by far
its a bit fluffy but so fun.
The AoE series was pretty good
WC2 was the best imo.. but thats a whole other debate lol

@Alzeranox TA:Kingdoms.. fantasy remake by cavedog themselves!! wasnt quite as good as TA lol

alexander
01-20-2011, 09:49 AM
I grew up with the Warcraft series, and I still love them. :-)

Largenir
01-20-2011, 09:40 PM
1. Medieval: Total War 1, 2
2. Shogun: Total War
3. Stronghold
4. Age of Empires II
5. The Guild 2

Endothan
01-21-2011, 10:57 PM
1. Battle for Middle Earth
2. Battle for Middle Earth II
3. Stronghold

vvzone
01-22-2011, 02:50 PM
1. Stronghold 1
2. Stronghold Crudaser
3. Lord and Realms 1
4. Medieval Total War

DarkLord7854
01-22-2011, 02:50 PM
4. Age of Empires II

+1 to that

AoE 3 is also decently good, though #2 is by far my favorite.

Deselle
01-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Ages of Empires 2 hands down.

darkviju
01-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Stronghold Crusader for castle building. The second has too many bugs.
Rome TW for batles. I know it's not medieval, but lots of games said before aren't neither.
Europa Universalis 3 for, I would say, patiently building an empire-kingdom-state.
For classic RTS I would say Empires: Dawn of the modern world I think.

Froody42
01-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Age of Empires II is one of the greatest classics in PC gaming history, indeed :D A magnificent game, one of the first I ever played.

Stronghold is also an excellent game, but unfortunately the series greatly deterioated after Crusader... I really hope Firefly will get their act together again for Stronghold III. They've proven what they can do with the first game, after all.

Another classic of mine is Myth: The Fallen Lords and its successor Soulblighter, if you count Medieval games with fantasy elements. A very different, very tactical approach to strategy, including realistic arrow flight, friendly fire and no way to get reinforcements, it was a challenging and fantastic game.

Battle for Middle-Earth II is a personal favorite simply due to its setting, and because I've spent quite a lot of time modding it.

There haven't really been that many medieval games released in more recent times, but luckily, Medieval II is awesome and has mods for almost any scenario you could want, including the Lord of the Rings and Warhammer.

Finn
01-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Tzar was good, verry good, but from old games which i think every one sholud play is
Dark Omen - i know is a bit fantasy but game was amazing. And from strict medieval Knigts and Merchants :D rocksss. And now two guys are making this game again if soemeone is intrested -
http://krom.reveur.de/index.php?t=kam_remake

Pilus
02-05-2011, 05:24 PM
My personal favorites are Stronghold and settlers, when it comes to medieval games. Amoung my favorites are also Anno (all of them, even though it is a little bit later than medieval) and The guild, even though it is not complete a RTS (I believe)

wonderis
03-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Stronghold one of the best RTS :P

Durken
03-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Majesty 2
Stronghold
Master of Magic

bosiK111
03-18-2011, 07:45 AM
1 Starcraft II
2 Warcraft III
3 Shogun TW

nord
03-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Age of Empires 2, Rise of Nations

Tazzuia
04-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Mine is probably Warcraft III. I've played it for so long and still find time to play nowadays like eight years later.

TStroke
04-02-2011, 02:53 AM
There was this awesome game I played back in the 90s. I cant remember the name, Ive spend hours looking for it but I just cant seem to find it. :(

rafaelfbl
04-02-2011, 01:11 PM
1- Mount and blade (with europe 1200 mod)

2- Medieval 2 total war

3- Knighs of honor (epic!)

4- Europe universalis 3 (not really medieval)

5- Age of empire series

thipsg
04-05-2011, 06:31 AM
I like strongold
Medieval total war
and europa universalis !

Maltroth
04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Stronghold was a good game, but low graphics and the low possibilities were boring =/

wesley762
04-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Dont forget these :

Stronghold series
these are probly the best if not the most popular medival RealTime strategy games :)
loved every bit of them so far from part 1 till atm Stronghold Kingdoms (the online varrient)

Stronghold Series

RobbieMorelos
04-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Hey, here is my list of my favourite medieval RTS games:

( 1 ) Battle for Middle-earth II

& 2 & Age of Empires II: age of kings (AoE III is boring -.-)

" 4 " Settlers III ( Settlers IV and V is not even close to the fun this game gives)

5 WarCraft III ( it rocks with the expansions)

If I have missed some cool medieval RTS titles ( and I mean not Total war or Praetorians -.- ) please post them ^^o
Post your top medieval RTS games here

cheers(!)

Those rts games stink.

1. Medieval 2 TOTAL WAR!!
2. Stronghold Crusader
3. Rome total War
4. Shogun 2 Total War
5. Call of duty Black ops YEAAAHH!!!

Macchiavelli
04-12-2011, 03:25 AM
stronghold forever

VikeS
04-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Medieval games, are the best RTS i ever played

authorr
04-15-2011, 03:17 PM
my first and the best of the best was

Tzar: The Burden of the Crown

I think the most complete strategy with super editor, nice graphics (1999y but still nice) and great economy (many way to get a resources). It also has a long campaign.