PDA

View Full Version : Building of identification?

sharplion
06-09-2008, 10:38 AM
It would be cool if there was one city, with a building that could identify it, what I mean is like it would be cool if every city would have its own kind of statue (formed and shaped by the player by moving sectors)

Example: This building could be a statue of a hand, which the player, (after building it) could shape. The player could for example form a fist, or some other sign (not the F-sign please XD) to identify his city, or just give it some character.

I think its important for games to have freedom, so that the player can give "more" of himself and reveal who he really is as an enemy/ally or just a player.

Cheers
SharpLion

The Witch King of Angmar
06-09-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean about this.

olauwers
06-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Is this like the campfire in Stronghold, only then more beautiful and with no function other than showing your personality? Then I like it :D

sharplion
06-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Is this like the campfire in Stronghold, only then more beautiful and with no function other than showing your personality? Then I like it :D

Yes it's like it :)

sharplion
06-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean about this.

Witch King of Angmar, what I mean is like it would be cool of every player get to design his own special statue(es) and be placed within his city-gates or something, something to scare of enemies with whatever the statue try to tell.

Of course its hard programming, but I have thinked of, as soon you finish building the statue, then you can like move and shape it as you like.

It would be cool, and extremely emotionally when it comes to battle situations =D

Khyron
06-10-2008, 07:50 PM
I could see a Statue where you select a basic type then purchase upgrades for it. Upgrades could be different head, arms, a mount. These upgrades to a stock statue could be more ealsy controled by the company to prevent any inapproiate material. The statues could possibly give a moral bonus to the owning faction but if the statue is destroyed in a seige the bonus is gone. Bonuses the the statue gives could even be based on the upgrades the statue has. A weapons upgrade could give a range/damage/accuracy bonus to archers. A mount could give a minor speed bonuse, decrease stamina drain from martching. If the statue displays a flage the whole army might get a moral bonus. These upgrades i know would be hard to balance and could decrease in effectiveness the farther one is away from the statue. This could give incentive to the opponets to destroy that bonus, the down side i could see is one could focuse on the defensive parts of the statue and become a powerful turtle.

sharplion
06-16-2008, 01:38 PM
I could see a Statue where you select a basic type then purchase upgrades for it. Upgrades could be different head, arms, a mount. These upgrades to a stock statue could be more ealsy controled by the company to prevent any inapproiate material. The statues could possibly give a moral bonus to the owning faction but if the statue is destroyed in a seige the bonus is gone. Bonuses the the statue gives could even be based on the upgrades the statue has. A weapons upgrade could give a range/damage/accuracy bonus to archers. A mount could give a minor speed bonuse, decrease stamina drain from martching. If the statue displays a flage the whole army might get a moral bonus. These upgrades i know would be hard to balance and could decrease in effectiveness the farther one is away from the statue. This could give incentive to the opponets to destroy that bonus, the down side i could see is one could focuse on the defensive parts of the statue and become a powerful turtle.

Yes I love the idea, of course the statue could give moral bonus, but also give the city character - and what's most important; freedom to the player.

cheers(!)

Puppeteer
06-29-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't see how fighting next to a grey, weathered & eroded statue covered in pidgeon poo would make your morale suddenly rocket

The Witch King of Angmar
06-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Maybe they could have some giant colorful banner to give the troops morale instead.

Puppeteer
06-30-2008, 11:04 AM
That would be nice, and could incorporate the design logo idea. A bright flag has inspired people through history (eg. The Oriflame [sp])

Sauron_9Gods9_Ldr
06-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Witch King of Angmar, what I mean is like it would be cool of every player get to design his own special statue(es) and be placed within his city-gates or something, something to scare of enemies with whatever the statue try to tell.

Of course its hard programming, but I have thinked of, as soon you finish building the statue, then you can like move and shape it as you like.

It would be cool, and extremely emotionally when it comes to battle situations =D

this states idea could be overpowered and could ruin the game so your idea is a nooby one is saggested you dont put this in.

ash12181987
06-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Maybe something more of, just putting it in for decoration or something?

I whole heartedly agree with customizing your city, so we all don't look like little medieval clones fighting on a semi-simular battlefield all the way to conformity-land.

At the same time Sauron raises a good (If not in badly garbbled) point. It could become rather overpowered, if structures effect the moral of troops positively and or negitively, if simular status was given to units, or allowed to stack with nearby bonuses from other structures and or units.

If there was some sort of bonus to anything, I would say it would be sensible to make it small, but with a wide AoE, and unstackable.

Banners being the same way.

And, it is a Very good suggestion to make.

frankein_fish
07-01-2008, 03:07 AM
My crazy little head just came up with the idea of being able to paint the walls :p
Imagine marching towards the enemy stronghold u comes around a small hill and u see this giant castle............Painted in pink :D (That would be me)

ash12181987
07-01-2008, 07:05 AM
"Fear my florescent, highlighter pink, might"

Joseph Visscher
07-01-2008, 02:30 PM
BEHOLD!
The Statue of Marock
Shape of a Mighty Fist!.......... With the middle finger high in the air!

Yea… I dont like the idea, if it was added, it would need to be a M game because there would be to many ****ographic and improper statues made that are not good for young people. Besides the heavy buget required to make such a costly hard programming wasteful feature.

In theory it’s a good idea, but in reality not really.

Neotyguy40
07-02-2008, 10:34 AM
BEHOLD!
The Statue of Marock

Yea… I dont like the idea, if it was added, it would need to be a M game because there would be to many ****ographic and improper statues made that are not good for young people. Besides the heavy buget required to make such a costly hard programming wasteful feature.

It wouldn't be rated M (for mature)... ESRB doesn't rate online play, remember?

Joseph Visscher
07-02-2008, 06:23 PM
It wouldn't be rated M (for mature)... ESRB doesn't rate online play, remember?

Oh right, forgot, heh, still I don't like the idea,
If I had a child, I would not want him to see a gaint Pu*** statue.....If I would even allow him to play any games like this that is...:rolleyes:

Khyron
07-02-2008, 07:35 PM
BEHOLD!
The Statue of Marock

I do believe that the intention of the Building of Identification was to assure that the dev team made it in a way that a player mixed and match pieaces that would prevent rude/inapproate/vulgor buildings. You know like the Guild banners for Guild Wars, but a building in your capitol. we all know the mods for the game will be rittleed with ****, racial slurs. All we need to look at to see this was the Spore creature creator.

ash12181987
07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
I would have to say, if someone had a big middle finger as their banner... it'd send a message alright

nickson104
07-12-2008, 01:53 PM
this states idea could be overpowered and could ruin the game so your idea is a nooby one is saggested you dont put this in.

That may be pretty true but however there is no reason to insult the idea, yes it could turn out bad, but say the bonus was an extremely weak one? say it only gave a bonus to units within 10 yards of it (like is BFME games for example, flags there are generally unused)

Yeah and a statue does raise morale better than a banner, yes a banner does raise morale and its portable but a statue has history and can have a bigger effect on people
The need for freedom is something that we all have and want, yet as earlier pointed out it will be abused and theres no doubting that, however as also pointed out, using many premade options such as the addons to a statue and such that can be avoided.

The idea may be costly and just a niceity however these niceities keep players playing, people like to express their individuality and yes, dont want to look generic clones of each other

olauwers
07-12-2008, 05:16 PM
The building does not necessarily have to deliver a bonus. It could just be there.

nickson104
07-12-2008, 05:22 PM
yeah, but if it was there JUST for personalisation... maybe it shouldnt cost anything or if it does a minimal amount, shouldnt everyone be able to personalise it easily especially if theres no inherent effect

Puppeteer
07-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah and a statue does raise morale better than a banner, yes a banner does raise morale and its portable but a statue has history and can have a bigger effect on people

Why is that? I would rather fight in Stone Henge than next to Nelson's Column.

nickson104
07-13-2008, 01:45 PM
A statue or landmark has history, it reminds you what you are fighting for or what you stand for, plus it adds to excitement and makes you fight more fiercely to defend such fine things...

Stonehenge :) cool place awesome place to have a sword duel :)

olauwers
07-14-2008, 08:38 AM
yeah, but if it was there JUST for personalisation... maybe it shouldnt cost anything or if it does a minimal amount, shouldnt everyone be able to personalise it easily especially if theres no inherent effect

Of course it should not cost anything. It should just be this statue that you have (maybe once you attain a certain level or something, so people won't start making new castles just so they can see what they can get away with for a statue), and which you are able to change around a bit, to show a bit of personality (e.g.: A fist for offensive players, a protecting hand for defensive players, a horse for fast players, ...)

Puppeteer
07-14-2008, 10:06 AM
A statue or landmark has history, it reminds you what you are fighting for or what you stand for, plus it adds to excitement and makes you fight more fiercely to defend such fine things..
Pray tell though, why? A statue of our queer old dean wouldn't make me fight more fiercely. (oops spoonerism kicked in :p)

nickson104
07-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Pray tell though, why? A statue of our queer old dean wouldn't make me fight more fiercely. (oops spoonerism kicked in :P)

Fair point, but if you saw a statue of a hero in your lands, a knight in shining armour with its sword raised against its enemies that would raise your spirits right?

Puppeteer
07-15-2008, 09:53 AM
It would be stone so not really shining, as far as I can tell, but I suppose that's the logic behind it. I still wouldn't find it very morale-boosting. If it were living, that would be another matter...

nickson104
07-16-2008, 06:27 AM
It would be stone so not really shining, as far as I can tell, but I suppose that's the logic behind it. I still wouldn't find it very morale-boosting. If it were living, that would be another matter...

hehehe *has picture of an orc running past and getting cleaved in half by a statues sword*

yeah and i guess your right..... stone doesnt shine :p lol Yeah logic sucks but you cant argue with it :)

hasdrubal
08-10-2009, 06:38 PM
ive always thought of that idea myself. like a wonder in age of empires but personalised so that every city looks unique in map mode.
not to sure about a big hand but a selection of 20 skins and 3 attributes to twiddle would do the trick
also u should have to assign population to worship your statue to get prestige or somthing

Tbeaz161
08-10-2009, 07:57 PM
I statue coem to life spell would be aweosme. I'd probaly makea smilie face jsut so i could watch it destroy people. Also would stone shine if you waxed it really really hard?

THYMOLE
09-14-2009, 01:37 PM
If this game takes off it would be rare that someone would recognize you by your building. The best players's would be recognizeable, but there would be so many noobs that would just copy the design... Still a custom flag would be nice

wills370
09-15-2009, 12:43 AM
I statue coem to life spell would be aweosme. I'd probaly makea smilie face jsut so i could watch it destroy people. Also would stone shine if you waxed it really really hard?

A good one for elves would be to make the trees come alive. for a special perk and create 2 temporary trench characters (little like LOTR)