PDA

View Full Version : Map Editor

Puppeteer
06-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Reverie, can you please release some information and screenshots abot the map editor please? I am very interested to learn about the capabilities, the GUI, the scripting... just would be interested just to look at possibly the soon-to-be favorite feature for me. It seems there hasn't been many pictures of it.

crex719
06-06-2008, 05:05 PM
were gonna be playing the beta soon, and I believe the beta has a map editor...

olauwers
06-07-2008, 03:34 AM
I am also very interested in this function.

Feweh
06-08-2008, 04:13 PM
were gonna be playing the beta soon, and I believe the beta has a map editor...

highlyyyy doubt it,

Grizzlez
06-09-2008, 05:21 PM
I guess its the same as the other mod tools. I think if they are able to make them 'user friendly' with some brief documentation then its possible,but I would have thought there would be little point in releasing tools no-one will understand-at least at first. If more people can understand them, even some beta testing on the tools can be effective as they are released with the game to iron out on problems or difficulties people are having.

sharplion
06-10-2008, 01:29 PM
But I dont get it... As soon you have built your map, where will it be loaded? Will it get among your city in the online world? I dont get it... Are we not playing on a persistent online world :S

raving
06-10-2008, 03:21 PM
But I dont get it... As soon you have built your map, where will it be loaded? Will it get among your city in the online world? I dont get it... Are we not playing on a persistent online world :S

there are 2 types of online games. one is free skirmish up to 8 players on wich youre selfmade map can be used

and the second is the persistent online world but i do not know if you can use self made maps on that one

Ryan Zelazny
06-11-2008, 09:32 AM
there are 2 types of online games. one is free skirmish up to 8 players on wich youre selfmade map can be used

and the second is the persistent online world but i do not know if you can use self made maps on that one

You wont be able to use custom maps in MMO mode.

Joseph Visscher
06-11-2008, 05:36 PM
I'll try to get you guys some pics and info on the editor sooner or later. may have to wait a week or more though, we got some major graphic upgrades going on right now.:rolleyes:

The Witch King of Angmar
06-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Good to hear. I'm looking forward to seeing the updates.

raving
06-12-2008, 03:42 AM
updates and screenshots!!! :D sounds great :p

cherbui
06-12-2008, 07:59 AM
hehe i would love to see how it looks like :D

olauwers
06-12-2008, 08:52 AM
Didn't we have one of the editor, yet without the final interface? The interface all looked pretty primitive, but the options were quite nice, if I recall correctly.

Village Sock
06-25-2008, 01:16 PM
*waits in excitement*
Seeing as one of the main reasons i'm gonna get this game will probably be the editor.

Neotyguy40
06-28-2008, 10:17 AM
I wonder if the game will have .map softwares to customize buildings...

Puppeteer
06-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Still waiting :D

Andy Joslin
06-29-2008, 03:19 PM
As said before, we will be releasing more screenshots after HDR/Bloom are finished.

LiTos456
06-19-2009, 07:19 PM
If anyone wants to see another editor screenshot... here. (http://dofsource.com/photogallery.php?photo_id=47)

szebus
06-20-2009, 02:49 AM
I wonder if the game will have .map softwares to customize buildings...

If the game is modable , then it should have something what helps modding all. Right ?

Aametherar
06-21-2009, 01:14 AM
I LOVE map editors. Started with the cheezy thing in Warcraft Orcs and humans, went crazy on warcraft 2...Then starcraft ahhh that was the first truly awesome editor, warcraft 3 followed with a pretty similar editor. I love the customization! I just hope they release the editor a bit before the game and let the community get started, there's work to be done!

Another thing I think would be great is a simple way to do full on campaign mode custom maps without the usual string 1 map after another, but creating it to mirror the actual campaign, with possible deviations and different paths. I.E. you beat a map 1 way it goes to next map, but if you beat it another it brings you to a different one. Campaigns just own!

Joseph Visscher
06-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I just hope they release the editor a bit before the game and let the community get started, there's work to be done!

No, because you wont be able to test your maps without the game.

Another thing I think would be great is a simple way to do full on campaign mode custom maps without the usual string 1 map after another, but creating it to mirror the actual campaign, with possible deviations and different paths. I.E. you beat a map 1 way it goes to next map, but if you beat it another it brings you to a different one. Campaigns just own!

Completely easy, just get something to trigger a value, and if that value becomes true it can load a new map, or, well you can attach it or put it anywhere. and do anything with it, you can also make auto save triggers.

For a custom Campaign the user would need to place the maps all in the right place to what the map's file locations requirements are. For this case, thats say that is 'C:\Program Files\Dawn of Fantasy\Scenario\UsermadeCampaign\...'

--Search radius, it searches around an object to detect other unit types.
-- after they are found it sets somevalue to true

local somevalue=false
Trigger.DetectHillTaken=function ()
for CurUnit in Objects.HillMarker: SearchCircle(1100,1,"Men-Units-Halberdier","Men-Units-Maceman","Men-Units-Peasant","Men-Units-Knight Mounted","Men-Units-Swordsman","Men-Units-Archer") do
if CurUnit:Alive() then
somevalue=true
Trigger.HillIsTaken=true
end
end
end

--if somevalue is true, load new map

Trigger.HillIsTaken=function ()
if somevalue==true then
LoadScenario("Scenario\\UsermadeCampaign\\AwesomeCampaignPath2.d ofscn")
end
DisableSelf()
end
Trigger.HillIsTaken=false

Not only can you just load a new map, but you can save your units and load them into the new map with the same X,Y,Z positions relative to that map*, then offset teleport them to there exact posistions where they where when you loaded the new map; or use the search circle object to create a table to offset the positions of the units relative to the search object, then transfer that table to the new search object in the new map to find the new real world positions based off the offset positions for each unit.
Could easily make a sort of Steaming map Campaign.

LUA scripting is pretty much limitless.

Kire
06-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Huh what a complex sistem ... where are good old days of age of empires where even dumb ppl as me can fast make playable map =P.

Aametherar
06-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Huh what a complex sistem ... where are good old days of age of empires where even dumb ppl as me can fast make playable map =P.

That's what's going to be so awesome here, they're going to have basic and advanced tools for the map editor. This means people who aren't as good at it can still make awesome maps, and if there's a few things they arent able to do they can just have someone more experienced add the final touches. Teamwork on map making always ends up awesome anyways. I remember in Warcraft 3 once I accidentally made 1 tiny piece of code wrong that crashed the game for everyone in it as soon as it opened :P. But I also refined a lot of maps others made. Either way, i'd think everyone will be able to make a good map if they put a little effort in.

Joseph Visscher
06-22-2009, 02:34 PM
That's what's going to be so awesome here, they're going to have basic and advanced tools for the map editor.

Not for scripting in lua, we'll have information about everything, but the creator will need to write his own or copy paste from other sources, this also means you can indeed have a database of scripts that can easily be added to your maps. Seen as it is lua it is utterly limitless in things you can do, unlike other trigger scripts you get on games such as age of empires.

Andy Joslin
06-22-2009, 05:59 PM
We will implement a basic GUI-scripting if time permits. We definitely want to.

Darvin
06-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Seems like the kind of thing that could be easily patched or implemented as a plug-in, even if you didn't make the release date.

szebus
06-23-2009, 12:08 AM
... but the creator will need to write his own or copy paste from other sources ...

Those scripts can be put to a wiki page from where we can after copy them, right ?

Darvin
06-23-2009, 01:34 AM
Those scripts can be put to a wiki page from where we can after copy them, right ?
I guarantee you there will be community resources available, and people will populate them feverishly with their work.

Aametherar
06-23-2009, 01:49 AM
This is going to be very awesome. I just hope that we can get a lot of custom maps (by that I mean different than the same custom maps we play in every other rts that people clone). Not that the classics aren't great :P.

Andy Joslin
06-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Seems like the kind of thing that could be easily patched or implemented as a plug-in, even if you didn't make the release date.
Yeah, it could.

Aametherar
06-24-2009, 09:49 PM
I got a question. How well will we be able to protect our maps (user made). I know in other games passwording custom maps has never been enough, and we've seen people resort to stuff like partially corrupting a custom map to protect it. Is there a system in place to prevent people from easily hacking their way into others maps? My main concern is of course fake rigged versions of otherwise reputable maps floating around. Also would it be peer to peer download, or will we have to download it off a website?

Another issue that I want to touch on is weather or not mods or conversions will be supported multiplayer, is it going to be integrated into the game structure, and also will it be as easy as installing the mod and flipping an on/off switch to play that mod single or multiplayer? I know in other games this has been largely based on the skill level of the mod designer themself, but it'd certainly be nice to not have the hassle of hard to remove mods, or mods that have to be uninstalled to play the normal game.

What I think would be really nice is if full mod/conversions were as simple as custom maps are in any other game (to utilize). I know this game is going to be extremely customizable to the point of nearly full conversions, so i'm hoping that mod/conversions will be a strongly supported aspect, even in multiplayer.

Thanks!

Darvin
06-25-2009, 12:34 AM
Your not the only one who has thought about the issue of map protection:
http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12
Old topic, but essentially all the facts.

We don't know how the game will support modding, but I think they're approaching this more from the direction that the map editor will be powerful enough that for mosts intents and purposes you won't need to mod.

Alex Walz
06-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Nearly all the files will be open source for modders. Terrain and texture modding can be done in a matter of seconds but for the more experienced modder, anything is possible.

zach12wqasxz
06-28-2009, 10:19 PM
about the whole editor thing i went to dawnoffanatsy website and they have a link thingy that says editor with a paint brush as its like logo thingy but every time i click it it goes to the movies link. is this supposed to be like that because the devs dont want to release any screenshotsof it or is the site messed up or what?

Darathor
06-29-2009, 08:05 AM
The movies are on the left page and the editor description is on the right page (when you click on the editor button on the bottom).

OrcSlayer
07-12-2009, 03:59 AM
It's good that this game has high moddabilty. It's the reason I am still playing tes oblivion

Aametherar
07-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Ick I felt Oblivion was a terrible game, way overrated.

SPARROW94
07-12-2009, 05:59 AM

Wtf! Restrain me every one :@!!!!

Not overrated. Well done. Its a good game give it a try, so my unrelenting faith in the god emperor wont have you dead in your sleep.

Puppeteer
07-12-2009, 08:53 AM

Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear. Aemethera must be cleansed.

I love Oblivion, I now have it for Xbox as well as PC because my laptop can barely handle it. It has its downsides, but its generally fun and immersive to play. Anyway, this map editor is the focus of the thread. I can't wait to try it out.

SPARROW94
07-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear. Aemethera must be cleansed.

I love Oblivion, I now have it for Xbox as well as PC because my laptop can barely handle it. It has its downsides, but its generally fun and immersive to play. Anyway, this map editor is the focus of the thread. I can't wait to try it out.

Well said :D, any how to lazy to read the numerable pages. map editor is in game or we all praying that it might be?

Puppeteer
07-12-2009, 12:02 PM
It is. We're all praying that it's as awesome as the devs make it out to be. The screenshots of it look damn fine.

SPARROW94
07-12-2009, 12:08 PM
It is. We're all praying that it's as awesome as the devs make it out to be. The screenshots of it look damn fine.

ouuuuuuUU
Ahhhhhhhh :D