PDA

View Full Version : castle

raving
06-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Can u build 2 castles? Im asking cause it would be cool to have a decoy village with a small castle where enemy's will be raiding while you sneaky build up youre main village. Or are we restriced to 1 castle?

Grz Raving

frankein_fish
06-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Two accounts alteast, but i dont know about two castle's altough u can have small outpost's but......... castle's, probably not

Grizzlez
06-02-2008, 10:11 AM
I would highly doubt on two castles, seeing as you have one started at the beginning of the map I don't see how you woudl build a second.

raving
06-02-2008, 10:16 AM
argh pitty :D no decoy villages to survive longer :D

olauwers
06-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I would highly doubt on two castles, seeing as you have one started at the beginning of the map I don't see how you woudl build a second.

That would be scriptable. They did it in 'The Settlers IV', anyway. You could make a pioneer's cart, which would send some goods, materials and men to somewhere on the map, where they then would start making a new community.

Grizzlez
06-02-2008, 11:24 AM
But from the size of the current castles, the maps would need to be of a ridiculous size to be able to make use of a second one-and this would certainly slow the game in bothh lag and also gameplay where people are encouraged to turtle.

Neotyguy40
06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
I took that in a VERY wrong way...

raving
06-03-2008, 01:14 AM
But from the size of the current castles, the maps would need to be of a ridiculous size to be able to make use of a second one-and this would certainly slow the game in bothh lag and also gameplay where people are encouraged to turtle.

that would be true yeh, it will be hard enough with 2 castles to keep its smooth :D

LordSlayer
06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
But from the size of the current castles, the maps would need to be of a ridiculous size to be able to make use of a second one

Unless you're playing 1vs1 on a 2vs2 (or more) map.

olauwers
06-04-2008, 02:56 PM

Maybe they have a ridiculous size?

raving
06-05-2008, 12:41 AM
youre army needs 2 min's of walking to get from youre castle to the other castle and 1 min of running... thats sounds like a big map for me ^^.

supagu
06-05-2008, 10:21 PM
we we talking in the MMO world or the skirmish mode?
I'd be nice to have the option there incase there were some maps big enough, which might not be feasible when the game is released (due to poor fps say) but maybe in 5 years when you go to play this game again and find some super massive maps :D

Always good to have some future proofing in games

*cough* more than the standard 8 players in multiplayer LAN games please (16 would be awsome) *cough*
:rolleyes:

Neotyguy40
06-06-2008, 02:08 PM
I want super massive maps... One with over 4 billion cities!

Puppeteer
06-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Castles are preset anyway, only the buildings inside can be built. So unless you propose some buildplot kind of expansion which builds the foundations, I see no viable route to achieving this.

raving
06-07-2008, 03:27 AM
Castles are preset anyway, only the buildings inside can be built. So unless you propose some buildplot kind of expansion which builds the foundations, I see no viable route to achieving this.

ah well its probably for the best that castle's are preplot :p otherwise you would just get yourself in a great position watch youre enemy batter himself death on your walls and then go finish him.

frankein_fish
06-07-2008, 04:12 AM
ah well its probably for the best that castle's are preplot :p otherwise you would just get yourself in a great position watch youre enemy batter himself death on your walls and then go finish him.

Well what i've seen of the castle design's it looks like the "Wall building AI"
uses terrain very effective. So u would probably get a better wall lay-out with the AI then building it yourself :p

Joseph Visscher
06-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Well what i've seen of the castle design's it looks like the "Wall building AI"
uses terrain very effective. So u would probably get a better wall lay-out with the AI then building it yourself :p

Stop referring me to "AI" I have feelings you know. Agreed I may be intelligent but I am not artificial!

This horse is going to kick me off isn't he? Lol.

Yea as I've said before having the player build his own castle design would look very unrealistic in just about every case. BFME2 strongholds. (Shivers and shaking in disappointment)

†TYRANICK†™
06-12-2008, 02:56 PM
I still feel as if there is a rather, perfectionist, "afraid of nooblets" outlook you guys have, you seem to be very untrusting in our capabilities :P.

Like with walls, whats the big deal? Sure in the MMO side preplot is a great idea for making sure there isn't ridiculous levels of wall or building spam. But for offline skirmish or campaign...you not going to give us just a little bit of freedom? Go on! ;) lol.

Anyways, last I heard maps can and will be massive, not to mention the MMO world map, that certainly look huge! Especially if its seamless and streaming :)

fyro11
06-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Tyranick, if you enjoyed BFME1, this will be at least 10 times better.

Khyron
06-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Two castles on a a single map with a single controller. This concept could be very beneficial to these who know how to use it but for the less tactical and economic crowed would result in overwhelming them. Heck i remember playing star craft and getting overwhelmed after the 3rd or 4th forward/resource base. "Our base is under attack" oh ya which one. For DoF MMO part with the longer build times means splitting military forces to defend two bases and you are draining your resources faster with two building construction ques. Once you get both bases established you production or troops is double your opponents, it might balance out but the player with 2 bases will gain the advantage over the player with one base or one remaining base(if there 2nd castle was destroyed).

The Witch King of Angmar
06-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Are we still talking about walls? I feel fine about letting people spam walls like in BFME2. Sure they looked crappy but it let players have some customization and that is the most important thing to me.

Khyron
06-17-2008, 02:27 PM
If a mainly Minautar race is added later would be fun and characteristic to make have build your own walls, allowing for a maze to be greated. AS for other races makeing wall, upon wall, upon wall, it would make turtleing way too powerful. Just immagine running out of ammunition for seige weapons before you get half way threw the 15 walls the player has placed.

Esculas the Mighty
06-22-2008, 06:50 PM
im sure you could find more rocks or bring up the seige towers/ladders

remember you not limited to trebs

Puppeteer
06-29-2008, 01:29 PM
That's why I proposed the "design in some kind of option off main menu" where , like the CaH system in ROTWK, you design it to whatever extent you want but depending on what you use, it'll cost you.

The Witch King of Angmar
06-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah I agree with that. As long as there is a bit more diversity.

ash12181987
06-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Whoa whoa... We can't build our own walls?

Taking away that, takes away from the entire point of city building, that being a point within all RTS games, and that is making something your own. Making a standard template that falls in place with a click of the mouse just seems rather... bland. With every moron who builds a utilitarian nightmare, you still have alot of people who put time and effort into things, designing recreations of edwardian fortifications, motte and Baileys, even pentagonal designs.

While I understand the points of, overpowered and illogical fortifications being built... I'm sure there could be a solution within scripting. And further I Like the idea mentioned about adding in some kind of editor within the game itself, where you design the fortifications with limitations on design, so that you Must stop at a point, to prevent the construction of overpowered tower spamming. I would say that would work quite well. Maybe further have a limit on stone, or have a required time for construction. Because we all know how much time is an issue. So if you build a massive fortification it will take 20 minutes to finish. And by that point your already being bumed by your oponent who has a sleeker design on everything.

The main problem I've always seen is range anyway. You build a seige engine, sit it at the Perfect point so it's In range of the tower, and out of range of anything to stop it, and knock it down at a weak point. Don't make range so specific, don't make accuracy over distance that good... all these things have been done before in other games.

frankein_fish
07-01-2008, 01:41 AM
The main problem I've always seen is range anyway. You build a seige engine, sit it at the Perfect point so it's In range of the tower, and out of range of anything to stop it, and knock it down at a weak point. Don't make range so specific, don't make accuracy over distance that good... all these things have been done before in other games.

Well accuracy wont be good over long distances, imagine the accuracy in Rome:Total War when u used fire ammo in ur catapults.
Plus the weather will affect the accuracy too, bright and shiny weather=Nice accuracy.
Rain and windy weather=Useless accuracy
so id say accuracy will be nicely balanced

Neotyguy40
07-02-2008, 10:20 AM
I bet the accuracy will be nicely balanced...

ash12181987
07-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Yes Everyone, understood.. balance in accuracy (With weather and 400 other factors involved). I'm just trying to find an answer for Why wall construction is forbidden, even in Single Player?

fyro11
07-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Like Puppeteer and Ash have said, I think there needs to be a number of templates that one can choose from, otherwise the standard template will be just too stringent and allow for one set of strategies only. Allowing a template system (with buildplots still included in-city) wouldn't be as farfetched an idea as just allowing free building of walls wherever one desires.

Khyron
07-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Like Puppeteer and Ash have said, I think there needs to be a number of templates that one can choose from, otherwise the standard template will be just too stringent and allow for one set of strategies only. Allowing a template system (with buildplots still included in-city) wouldn't be as farfetched an idea as just allowing free building of walls wherever one desires.

If i have been reading these forums correctly your castle is predesigned by the dev team based on the map you select for your home territory. Thus it is my interperation that each map will have a optomised/balanced build that will make sense. After all this is medieval fantasy and i do not want to see base creep just to get that saw mill or tiberium refinery in a certain spot.

Kell Aset
03-22-2009, 03:18 PM
If castles are predesigned by the dev team for each map then it would be really nice to have a gallery of them on main site for each race and each map. That way people could decide which stronhold design is to their liking and choose place where to start their village etc. just by looking at final castle in such gallery.

nickson104
03-22-2009, 03:53 PM
If castles are predesigned by the dev team for each map then it would be really nice to have a gallery of them on main site for each race and each map. That way people could decide which stronhold design is to their liking and choose place where to start their village etc. just by looking at final castle in such gallery.

sounds like a good idea, but wouldnt you choose your location for its surrounding area, its defendability and its resources? not its asthetic values?

Lordadamar
03-22-2009, 03:54 PM
I would just like to point out this game is called

Dawn of FANTASY not

Dawn of REALITY

If players cant have some controll over custom castle layouts then once you find a flaw in design on the preset ones, then there is no contest always show up to battle and pound the same spot and win... Call it a built in game exploit the kind that will be posted on the internet ina month after game releases.

Now if you take out the possiblity of commonalities theres more player advantage to the players defending there castle. which there should be.. A good defense is the best offense..

same old keeping it realistic commet when its 90% fantasy..

Kell Aset
03-22-2009, 05:03 PM
sounds like a good idea, but wouldnt you choose your location for its surrounding area, its defendability and its resources? not its asthetic values?

I didn't say that it was only about asthetic value no no, I have had on my mind also fortification layouts. With mentioned gallery I could calculate defense value of each city at least in my own eyes and a way how each of them could be defended (easier or harder for me), to choose one city and place for it that fits me most.

nickson104
03-22-2009, 05:20 PM
I didn't say that it was only about asthetic value no no, I have had on my mind also fortification layouts. With mentioned gallery I could calculate defense value of each city at least in my own eyes and a way how each of them could be defended (easier or harder for me), to choose one city and place for it that fits me most.

All the castle layouts will be similar but their surroundings is what will matters, mountains forests rivers etc...

LiTos456
03-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Yeah, according to the screenshots, you can build things on mountains and such. It adjusts. Pretty awesome I think.

Kell Aset
03-22-2009, 08:47 PM
I have seen somewhere that structures adjust themselves yes, but information that all castles will have same scheme is quite hmn suprising :( .

Still some strongholds placed on terrain with rivers will have small bridges inside them and those small bridges can be important defense points for player. So I think mentioned gallery could be useful.
I am little curious if there will be a possibility to get into the castle by river that goes through it, interesting.

LiTos456
03-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I wish you can make a canal of water around your castle so that enemies can't get in, lol.

Kell Aset
03-22-2009, 10:08 PM
You mean of course moat? right?

LiTos456
03-22-2009, 10:23 PM
i.. guess? I dont know what its called!

Darvin
03-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Yes, the moat of a castle is a water-filled trench that surrounds a castle. Usually the castle's filth is thrown into it, making it a disease-ridden cesspool that nothing lives in.

MrBlack103
03-23-2009, 03:22 AM
I think I saw a castle with a moat in one of the screens on the official website.

LiTos456
03-23-2009, 05:54 AM
Yes, the moat of a castle is a water-filled trench that surrounds a castle. Usually the castle's filth is thrown into it, making it a disease-ridden cesspool that nothing lives in.

Ew...
You know in medieval times they just poured trash out on the streets? Urgh! How did they live there...

Kell Aset
03-23-2009, 11:53 AM
That was not only trash but also filth from houses, and all that went into the ground, very often to poison city wells. This was a reason of plagues that touched many cites.

The Witch King of Angmar
03-23-2009, 02:15 PM
As well as raw sewage filling the streets. Mmmmmmmmmm.................:p

Kell Aset
03-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Exactly that I have had on my mind just couldn't find better word for it.