PDA

View Full Version : ingame rankings

raving
06-02-2008, 03:30 AM
Are there going to be ingame rankings in the game??
Personely im not really a big fan about this but still would be usefull to know if it gets into the game. And if so how are the ranks calculated.

Neotyguy40
06-02-2008, 06:34 PM
I remember seeing it in a screenshot...

Ryan Zelazny
06-03-2008, 08:13 AM
We actually have 2 different ranks. Both are used for MMO play, however only your skill level rank is used for Skirmish.

One ranks your skill level, I'm not sure on the actual math on how this is determined, but I know it's a mix of the time it takes for the battle to finish, how many units you created / lost vs. your opponent, and your opponent's own rank with a few other things thrown in for good measure.

The other rank is for your army's size, this is for MMO mode, so that you don't get matched against someone with a massive army when you only have a handful of units.

crex719
06-03-2008, 12:25 PM
So is it possible to be matched up with a higher ranked person if your army is alot larger than people ranked around you?

frankein_fish
06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Maybe if army size is the only thing it calculates witch i sure hope not :p

Ryan Zelazny
06-04-2008, 08:39 AM
So is it possible to be matched up with a higher ranked person if your army is alot larger than people ranked around you?

It is possible, because if you are sort've by yourself in both rankings we don't want you to have no one to play with. However we will make the ranks easily shown, so that when you get your list of people who are matched against your ranks, you have an idea of what your up against.

Darvin
06-04-2008, 12:18 PM
One ranks your skill level, I'm not sure on the actual math on how this is determined, but I know it's a mix of the time it takes for the battle to finish, how many units you created / lost vs. your opponent, and your opponent's own rank with a few other things thrown in for good measure.

I'm highly reserved about this. The problem I see here is that certain strategies may be rewarded score-wise while others are penalized score-wise. A strategy that utilizes heavy attrician may produce many casualties (thus lowering your score) but resulting in a resounding win. Is it necessarily "low skill" if you intended to get your units killed, and you ended up winning because you used that fodder effectively?

The biggest issue I see here is smurfing. I don't know where the term came from, so don't ask. Smurfing means you intentionally keep your skill level low so that the automatic matching system gives you weaker opponents. This lets you attain an account with a ridiculously good win/loss ratio. If there is even a small exploit, there will be people who will use it, and it really can **** off everyone.

While I understand the logic of rewarding someone for playing harder and playing to end, it might actually backfire in many ways. The one thing I will say I like about your system is that it would encourage people to play to the end. A last stand may be hopeless, but it could be semi-redeeming.

For a ranking system, you need two things. You need the player's current level, and the player's projected level. If someone wins their first five matches, they haven't "earned" the skill level of a high level player, but they've demonstrated that they may do so in the future. You should scale the difficulty of their matches appropriately, as a result. Conversely, their opponent shouldn't be penalized too much for losing to a "newbie" since that newbie is actually a rising star.

Grizzlez
06-04-2008, 01:56 PM
I think in mmo their should be a withdraw feature: give it say a 3 minute timer so if your about to lose and you want to keep some of your fort in tact to rebuild, you can use this then stick it out till the withdraw. Maybe have a 20% penalty on certain resources as a sort of punishment. This could stop peopel from quitting when they kow its over.

raving
06-05-2008, 12:38 AM
I think in mmo their should be a withdraw feature: give it say a 3 minute timer so if your about to lose and you want to keep some of your fort in tact to rebuild, you can use this then stick it out till the withdraw. Maybe have a 20% penalty on certain resources as a sort of punishment. This could stop peopel from quitting when they kow its over.

if my memory serves me correctly i think i saw a developer answering that you could surrender, and will loose only a certain degree of your castle