PDA

View Full Version : Modding Questions

Grizzlez
05-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Basically, I pm'ed Konstantin Fomenko about some modding questions I had, and he said it would be good for me to post them for others to see. So I guess if anyone has other questions about the modding aspect of the game, they can post them here and the team will answer them when they can.

The posts:

Originally Posted by Grizzlez
Firstly, I'd like to congratulate you on an awesome job on what you have shown us so far. Definately will be getting this game without a doubt and try to get my friends to get it as well.

My question, will this game be able to be modified, either in terms of adding new models and characters or even just a worldbuilder/map editor type feature.

If you can let me know what you can about this i'd really appreciate this.

Thanks, Grizzlez.

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko
Hi and welcome to our community.

It might surprise you that good number of our employees including myself come from RTS modding community. So we feel really strongly about delivering the best RTS editor on the market and leaving the game open to all kinds of modding.

Retail package of dawn of fantasy will feature Developer tools - World Editor, Unit Editor, Model and Animation Viewer. Anybody with 3D Studio max will be able to easily make their own units. And all game files will be completely open to modding.

More ever, we plan to create a modding community website accessible right from the game multiplayer browser. So mod packs and custom scenarios will be available to all the players, even on Xbox360 platform.

-----------------------

Originally Posted by Grizzlez
Will you be able to tell me some more about the modding capabilities?

In terms of, how the unit editor etc will work-like can it be used online or only offline type games. How does the new things created work with the game?

Because its an MMORTS I'm not too sure how it will all work and what you have in mind, so any enlightenment on this would be really helpful for me, because if it all sounds good i'll probably start with some models and getting a team together etc soon so we can have something near the release of the game.

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko
Dawn of Fantasy has two games in one - single-player and mmorts (as well as multiplayer skirmish)

While you won`t be able to release any content for MMORTS (not approved by our studio at least), you`ll be free to release single-player campaigns, scenarios, and multipayer skirmish levels.

Oh and by the way, feel free to repost our conversation in general forum if you like - I think other forumers would like to join into this conversation and learn more about DoF editing.

Darvin
05-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for posting this matter in general discussion. Remember, the whole point of having a forum is that many people share your questions, and can benefit equally from the answer.

I'm very curious about how the map editor will work, but it's one of those things that you can't fully understand the specifics of it until you've had a hands on experience.

One specific question I do have is what support the editor will provide to creating custom spells and special abilities for units? How easy will it be to modify an existing spell/ability, or create an entirely new one?

Generation
05-29-2008, 04:02 PM
yep what he typed

Grizzlez
05-29-2008, 09:08 PM
The reason I did it by pm was because I wanted my questions to be answered, and not to have a load of random spam crap taking over. If other people wanted these answers, there would already be a topic.

Alexander Flegler
06-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks for posting this matter in general discussion. Remember, the whole point of having a forum is that many people share your questions, and can benefit equally from the answer.

I'm very curious about how the map editor will work, but it's one of those things that you can't fully understand the specifics of it until you've had a hands on experience.

One specific question I do have is what support the editor will provide to creating custom spells and special abilities for units? How easy will it be to modify an existing spell/ability, or create an entirely new one?
We recently made a huge overhaul to the ingame scripting system for units... before it didn't take necessarily more time to create a new spell or what ever but it was rather messy compared to the new organized way. Due to our scripting language LUA (it's also used in other games as well) we and of course you modders have nearly infinite possibilities to create mods and other creative content, everything is possible from Eco Simulation to Diablo style RPG.

Once you've learned the scripting language it will take you only 5 minutes to include a new spell or special ability (without new graphics of course).

LordSlayer
06-01-2008, 02:16 PM
We recently made a huge overhaul to the ingame scripting system for units... before it didn't take necessarily more time to create a new spell or what ever but it was rather messy compared to the new organized way. Due to our scripting language LUA (it's also used in other games as well) we and of course you modders have nearly infinite possibilities to create mods and other creative content, everything is possible from Eco Simulation to Diablo style RPG.

Once you've learned the scripting language it will take you only 5 minutes to include a new spell or special ability (without new graphics of course).

Just a few question,

Will we be able to dl all the custom maps on something like a map dling server, or will we have to join the game itself to dl it?

Also, is there a way to make the game in first person, or are we limited to third person?

Alexander Flegler
06-01-2008, 02:52 PM
You are limited to third person. Even if first person was possible it wouldn't make any sense as the engine isn't optimized for this low angle view (and neither are the ingame options). In case of creating a first person mod it's still better to use the Source, Cry or Unreal engine.

Joseph Visscher
06-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Just a few question,

Also, is there a way to make the game in first person, or are we limited to third person?

Hum... This is a RTS, where did you get third person from? this isn't WoW or gears of war.

Well I guess if you have only 1 hero its a type of third person view,,, I guess.

iceblast
06-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Is there any xml in the coding?

Darvin
06-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Hum... This is a RTS, where did you get third person from? this isn't WoW or gears of war.

Well I guess if you have only 1 hero its a type of third person view,,, I guess.

I guarantee that will be one of the first custom maps made. It was by far the most popular type of map in Warcraft III, and I don't think matters will be different here.

crex719
06-01-2008, 11:06 PM
^^^^I was thinking more of a 8 heroes against the Orc waves from BFME 2 but lets see who makes theirs first ;-)

Darvin
06-02-2008, 12:52 AM
It's not going to be about who makes it first, it's going to be about who makes the most popular map. First comers are seldom the best.

raving
06-02-2008, 03:27 AM
sweet so i can make my own units then?? :p if i learn how to work with the unit modeler that is :D

Grizzlez
06-02-2008, 05:11 AM
I'd think you would need software like 3ds max to create new models, the other features are just to help you get them in game. This is just my guess on it.

However I would like to know more about the modding tools that are going to be released. Like what exactly they do and how they work. Also will you guys be making any tutorials for them, or just let people that want to know how it all works find out and leave it to them to make tutorials for the others who don't want to learn themselves?

raving
06-02-2008, 07:14 AM
will try that too then :D :p would be easyer if i actualy had some talent to do this hahaha :D

Grizzlez
06-02-2008, 10:10 AM
3ds max is very expensive, your looking to pay at least $150, and thats not even for a new version. There is a 30 day trial but after that you need to but it, and it has a yearly license that needs to be renewed I believe.

Darvin
06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Beyond cost, learning to model isn't trivial. However, I'm certain those who do pick up this role will make their works available on fansites.

Alexander Flegler
06-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I'd think you would need software like 3ds max to create new models, the other features are just to help you get them in game. This is just my guess on it.

However I would like to know more about the modding tools that are going to be released. Like what exactly they do and how they work. Also will you guys be making any tutorials for them, or just let people that want to know how it all works find out and leave it to them to make tutorials for the others who don't want to learn themselves?
These modding tools won't actually be special "modding" stuff, but we'll provide every external tool (like converters and our editor) we use ourselves to create the game. There are some documentations about the editor and the converting tools which we will probably provide as well. For the scripting itself there won't be any tutorial (besides that you can learn LUA from web tutorials). But we have comments in our codes which explain how it works, this helps other scripters to understand the code of someone else easier if he has to modify it.

Neotyguy40
06-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I will script the ability for explosive trees...

raving
06-03-2008, 01:12 AM
so you are saying we can make addons for the game, like for example: a green bar around youre unit indicating its maximum range. Stuff like that?

Ryan Zelazny
06-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Will we be able to dl all the custom maps on something like a map dling server, or will we have to join the game itself to dl it?

We are launching a website called Reverie Online, this will be the online community for DoF and all of Reverie's games afterward. On the site we will provide space for all the custom content created by users as well as anything created by us.

We will have some tutorials written by the staff, as well we will encourage you guys to write some as well (once you learn the software to a point where you can).

Also I'm planning on including our virtual office software we developed in house to be available for modding communities through Reverie Online, to help keep larger projects -such as total conversions- on track and organized.

Grizzlez
06-03-2008, 11:31 AM
I would really like to know more about the modding tools themselves being released, like what they do and their purpose. Apart from a list of the tools we don't know much about them.

crex719
06-03-2008, 12:23 PM
We are launching a website called Reverie Online, this will be the online community for DoF and all of Reverie's games afterward. On the site we will provide space for all the custom content created by users as well as anything created by us.

We will have some tutorials written by the staff, as well we will encourage you guys to write some as well (once you learn the software to a point where you can).

Also I'm planning on including our virtual office software we developed in house to be available for modding communities through Reverie Online, to help keep larger projects -such as total conversions- on track and organized.

You guys are okay with total conversions? Usually a company is against it but....I guess not..This is awsome!!

Grizzlez
06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
A total conversion for skirmish, they said not to mod the mmo or something.

Konstantin Fomenko
06-03-2008, 03:25 PM
There is one innovation we`ll try to add:

We`ll try to have storage for custom made maps right inside Online browser. So typical players will easily find custom scenarios. And downloading and installing them will all be automated. This is the plan at least.

Ryan Zelazny
06-04-2008, 08:38 AM
You guys are okay with total conversions? Usually a company is against it but....I guess not..This is awsome!!

We are a company founded on a modding community, so modding is something we fully encourage and this is why we are releasing such a powerful editor and other tools to help you.

LordSlayer
06-04-2008, 02:06 PM
We are a company founded on a modding community, so modding is something we fully encourage and this is why we are releasing such a powerful editor and other tools to help you.

Will wa be able to make custom campaigns with cinematics and all?

olauwers
06-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Yes, we will :D

Puppeteer
06-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Will RenX suffice instead of 3dsMax? I heop so...
Does anyone know of good LUA tutorials at the moment?

Grizzlez
06-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Puppet you would need a converter or something to change file format I'd guess. Some sort of plugin perhaps?

Joseph Visscher
06-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Will wa be able to make custom campaigns with cinematics and all?

Absolutely! You will be required to do some scripting, but yes, heck you can even script the level to load a new level at any point, so you can have a whole campaign in which when you finish a level it loads the next map right away. I’m looking forward to see the modding and mapping community make some really cool levels/quests/campaigns!

†TYRANICK†™
06-12-2008, 02:49 PM
All these modding tools sound awesome :D!

Will there be a building editor of some kind? Either for when making new structures or tweaking the originals, and what about there properties, such as proportions, where they can be placed, health/armor values etc?

If so, then thats me set :D!

The Witch King of Angmar
06-12-2008, 04:19 PM
I'd say so seeing how many other editors there are.

Grizzlez
06-13-2008, 06:14 AM
General stats I would have thought would be done in the Lua coding. Editing/creating buildings would be done in a modelling programme such as 3DS max, and then a different modding tool released with the game to help get it in? Just a guess...

Grizzlez
06-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Can you guys please post a small description of what each tool does. I can get an idea of what each might be, but just to be sure I fully understand each one and their function.

Puppeteer
06-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Absolutely! You will be required to do some scripting, but yes, heck you can even script the level to load a new level at any point, so you can have a whole campaign in which when you finish a level it loads the next map right away. I’m looking forward to see the modding and mapping community make some really cool levels/quests/campaigns!
I nearly fainted when I heard that :D

Thiefbrood
07-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks for posting those, they filled in a few blank spots for me.

Village Sock
07-02-2008, 05:06 AM

Yay! I can't wait for this map editor now. Just to confirm theres scripting and triggers am I correct? I'll have to decide which one to use, the one thats more simpler and funner (triggers) or the one where you can do more with it and overall make a better scenario (scripting) :rolleyes:

Oooh another question! Say we make a campaign or scenario and we want to get it out to the community, will you provide us with our very own downloads section where we could upload it to? A bit like heavengames do?

Andy Joslin
07-02-2008, 06:47 AM
@Sock:
Q. Will there be a place to find user-made maps online?
A. We are implementing a service called Reverie Online which will be the online community for Dawn of Fantasy and any future Reverie titles. There we will house any user-made maps as well as additional content developed by ourselves. Also to be found on Reverie Online; tutorials from the development staff, resources for making your own modding community, and clan/guild community management.

Source (http://reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318)

Neotyguy40
07-02-2008, 10:11 AM
@Sock:

Source (http://reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318)

Yay! Modding Pwns!

What kind of scripting is it going to use? A popular language like C++/C# or one of your own scripting languages.

Can you share a small piece?

Ryan Zelazny
07-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Yay! Modding Pwns!

What kind of scripting is it going to use? A popular language like C++/C# or one of your own scripting languages.

Can you share a small piece?

Scripting is done in the LUA language.

Neotyguy40
07-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Never heard of it...