PDA

View Full Version : collectors edition

Arctopus
05-28-2008, 10:36 AM
this might be more a question than a suggestion..

will there be a collectors edition?
already idea's of what will be inside?

Ryan Zelazny
05-30-2008, 04:16 PM
No idea on collectors edition yet. Both if we are going to have it, or if we are going to have it what will be inside.

Feweh
06-01-2008, 09:57 PM
I never buy the collectors edition for anygame.

I always find its a wormish way of gaming companies to suck extra money off of players.

iceblast
06-02-2008, 11:46 AM
what ca be inside :P

promotional posters

a huge map of the dof world :P

extra maps

something else :P

olauwers
06-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Or you could put all those nifty features in the normal box and not make a collector's edition.

The term collector's edition is chosen wrong anyway. There isn't much to collect from this one game, now is there? Either you got the game, or not. Complete collection, or nothing :D

Grizzlez
06-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I also think its a cheap way to earn a bit of extra money, BFME2 did it and added a couple extra skins and things to the game which they coud have put in the first. Especially as the ingame things need to be compatible with the original version-so a player can get hold of the extra features and put them in their version wihout buying the CE.

I'd hope this game just includes all the features in one version, I just get a negative vibe off the companies who do this to people.

iceblast
06-02-2008, 03:05 PM
It would be awesome if they gave us a large A3 paper size of the map for the original game.

Ryan Zelazny
06-03-2008, 10:06 AM
I also think its a cheap way to earn a bit of extra money, BFME2 did it and added a couple extra skins and things to the game which they coud have put in the first. Especially as the ingame things need to be compatible with the original version-so a player can get hold of the extra features and put them in their version wihout buying the CE.

I'd hope this game just includes all the features in one version, I just get a negative vibe off the companies who do this to people.

I'm also not a fan of those, "you get this in game for buying the more expensive edition". Thats not really fair, especially if they aren't released at the same time. I know with Guild Wars, I was ticked at the fact people who bought the Game of the Year edition got special emotes and other things that you couldn't get if you didn't. So because I bought the game before it got popular, I got penalized, which is not right to do to your fan base. Also doing this with pre-order boxes is something I'm not a fan of, but I see the point in it. Some people just go to the store the day of release and pick it up -I'm one of them- and just because I buy the game the day it comes out, or a week after doesn't make it less of a fan, so I shouldn't suffer for it.

In adding "extras" to games, it usually motivates you to want them, you see people using the "new units" or using the "new spells" and you want them. Making it so you are unable to get them OR you can have go buy the same game you have but pay an extra $20 get it isn't right in my mind. We would have to make it an expansion, or a simple add-on that would cost you $x. But something that everybody got the oppertunity to get.

However, some collectors editions are nice, and some people like them. When they get the t-shirt in it, or they get a piece of wall art, it's something that is an extra value to those who like that kind of thing. So I think if we were to release a collectors edition, this would be the kind we would do.

crex719
06-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I would like a wall art of that Drake picture that is always floating around here!

Ryan Zelazny
06-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I would like a wall art of that Drake picture that is always floating around here!

That would probably be a tough thing to get. Unfortunately the artist who drew that picture now works for Epic Games (guys who made Gears of War), and the only copies we have are the web optimized ones which wouldn't be high enough quality for a wall print.

frankein_fish
06-04-2008, 11:17 AM
It would be awesome if they gave us a large A3 paper size of the map for the original game.

Id love that like total war :p (Atleast Rome:TW)

Neotyguy40
06-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I will own you all...

nickson104
07-14-2008, 06:51 AM
A poster like the Guild Wars ones would be nice :) a tshirt wouldnt entice me because i would never wear it probably and a map i wouldnt see a point in because i would just use the ingame map... but i know where your coming from

And i agree with you that the collectors editions to games are just ways of getting money, it really p***es me off when i see people on GW who have better emotes and such by paying extra.
And by the way, the BFME2 CE is the average game now, its rare to see it without CE and the CE has dropped in price, just thought you might like to know :)

kronlc
10-04-2008, 05:11 AM
I want my own booklet with all the different creeps and game units IN it

I also want a poster of a the world map if some nerdo hasnt already
mentioned that and I would also like some minature Dawnoffantasy characters
to put on the top of my computer to serve as my councilers as advisors.

and last but not least a fold out poster of a big orc mauling a monkey.

thanks.

nickson104
10-04-2008, 05:48 AM
I want my own booklet with all the different creeps and game units IN it

I also want a poster of a the world map if some nerdo hasnt already
mentioned that and I would also like some minature Dawnoffantasy characters
to put on the top of my computer to serve as my councilers as advisors.

and last but not least a fold out poster of a big orc mauling a monkey.

thanks.

Lol miniature characters to act as your advisors? hes psycho guys hes hearing voices again!!! :p

the booklet sounds like a good idea :)

frankein_fish
10-04-2008, 09:17 AM
hes hearing voices again!!! :p

Who dont? :cool:

nickson104
10-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Who dont? :cool:

wait... you mean... you hear them too? that means that I' m not alone :cool:

kronlc
10-04-2008, 07:22 PM
DOnt get off topic or its least lickely to be imPlemented ok
dont ruin it for me
or say anything stupid that might make the Andy fomenka
take it in a musing way and not seriouse

nickson104
10-05-2008, 03:18 PM
DOnt get off topic or its least lickely to be imPlemented ok
dont ruin it for me
or say anything stupid that might make the Andy fomenka
take it in a musing way and not seriouse

Lol and you didnt just do that? :p 'dont ruin it for ME' a bit self centered dont you think? other people would like the collectors edition too...

The Witch King of Angmar
10-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Maybe the collectors edition could give you the ability to make custom banner designs or give some information about dragons or expansions.

kronlc
10-05-2008, 09:52 PM
DONT Yu dare qoutTE ME NICKSON

Puppeteer
10-06-2008, 11:14 AM
DONT Yu dare qoutTE ME NICKSON

wtf? What's wrong with you? Try and stay ontopic

Joseph Visscher
10-06-2008, 02:46 PM
wtf? What's wrong with you? Try and stay ontopic

And now your off topic puppeteer, ah crap now i am off topic due to you being off topic due to kronlc being off topic about people being off topic and quoting him off topic!

heh.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I put us back on topic but it appears that you guys just ignored it. :(

Puppeteer
10-06-2008, 02:58 PM
(boldy tries)
I would mostly just like a more indepth manual, that would suffice for me :p

nickson104
10-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Maybe the collectors edition could give you the ability to make custom banner designs or give some information about dragons or expansions.

THAT would be a great thing, I would so get the CE for that... Looks like this idea has not been dropped :) the topic on it may have died but it still lies in our hearts!

Also an encylopedia on the beasties and the units in the game would be nice :)

Darvin
10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
I remember back in the day when games came with *proper* manuals, not the flimsy little 10 page things you get today. I'm talking manuals filled with concept art, story clips, fold-out tech trees, detailed descriptions of each individual unit and ability, and highly intricate explanation of every game feature, organized and indexed like a proper resource. Today, they make you pay $20 for the game's "real" manual. They tack on a walkthrough of the campaign and call it a strategy guide. I've got some beautiful manuals from yester-year which put modern strategy guides to shame for their depth and excellent organization.

If you want to put something in the Collector's Edition, try fold-out tech trees, hero/unit breakdowns, and (of course) world map. This would be relatively simple to produce, and looks very nice when it first comes out of the box.

kronlc
10-06-2008, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=The Witch King of Angmar;9611]Maybe the collectors edition could give you the ability to make custom banner designs

I agree with a in game reward for buying a collectors edition
pretty ideas so far very pretty.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-06-2008, 07:49 PM
The map, as Darvin said, would be fantastic. It could give descriptions of places and what factions reside where and list some geographic features of them.

Mrdash
10-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Poster sized map! =-D

Puppeteer
10-07-2008, 11:33 AM
I'd maybe love a little separate booklet, showing kinda development of the game and the such. Then I would read the manual :p

Mrdash
10-07-2008, 12:49 PM
I usualy read manuals anyway. Just in case I miss something interesting. Or important.

And usualy while the game is downloading. =D

The Witch King of Angmar
10-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I read those first even though I can usually grasp a game pretty fast just to see if I missed anything.

nickson104
10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Poster sized map! =-D

How about... a poster sized poster? :cool:

The tech tree was an old favourite of mine, and i agree most manuals are pointless, i had one not long ago that was literall an A4 paper with the minimum requirements and the technical support information and obviously the legal stuff :/ I still remember spending ages reading up the units and buildings in Knights of Honour *the most recent game i have played with a decent manual*

Im still not keen on the map :/ but i am totally for the banner designing, i say that giving the extra money should be something of benefit to you but wont give you any advantage over someone who hasnt bought the CE, after all it has to be fair.

Guild Wars are probably my favourite games to open because each game has a poster (or map the eye of the north) and a big book of good background and information :) and then you get to have all the fun of scratching off the silver seals to reveal your code :cool:

kronlc
10-08-2008, 07:44 PM
OK. FIrST OF ALL' The poster has already been decided.
Secondly. A in game option like custom banner design should be restricted
to the designer only being able to "pick a symbol of many symbols" but should not be able to design a symbol himself' need I not have to tell you peons why
I think its obvious. and we should also have the option of choosing the colour of the
banner/flag with the exceptions of pink or bright purple bearing in mind
we arnt playing barbie dolls.

I actually think you should be able to do this anyway
wouldnt it make your head so much bigger?:cool:

dumbasses

Mrdash
10-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Well uh....

Anyway Jojo has already said (if I remember right) that they might add something like banner mod but it would have to be watched for those same reasons that you mention.

Or mabey they wouldn't add banner mods because they couldn'y spare the people to watch the banners....

Bleh I dont know anymore.

kronlc
10-09-2008, 03:02 AM
I once head butted a horse...

Puppeteer
10-09-2008, 11:10 AM
OK. FIrST OF ALL' The poster has already been decided.
Secondly. A in game option like custom banner design should be restricted
to the designer only being able to "pick a symbol of many symbols" but should not be able to design a symbol himself' need I not have to tell you peons why
I think its obvious.
This has been discussed before, and one option was to have people regulating them, however, this would require someone to be there full-time and be paid, which isn't feasible. I think an option they could have is that the castle's corresponding flag has to be registered first. If you create a flag, this is then sent over by a connection to Reverie or affiliate or what not, and so this flag cannot be used until it is approved. This could be in conjunction with the account details being processed, which could limit you to one flag at a time. Or not :p
and we should also have the option of choosing the colour of the banner/flag with the exceptions of pink or bright purple bearing in mind
we arnt playing barbie dolls.
What if people want to use those colours? What's wrong with that? Emblems, banners and flags usually were bright colours so that they were clearly seen on the battlefield to inspire morale.

Mrdash
10-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Only real men wear pink!

And great idea puppet....why the heck didn't I think of registering.....

=-D

nickson104
10-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Exactly what puppeteer said, any colour is still a colour, what about white? that is not a colour that is a lack of colour shall we not allow that because technically it is not a colour? i think not..

And yes we had a conversation about the emblem and flag thing before... and a commonly agreed upon system was in the GW or WoW style capes/tabards... Preset emblems and combinations with an unlimited number of possibilities to combine these and change colours and such...

I cant remember reading that the poster was decided?

I also agree that kronlk said the unnessecary, and that he didnt have to sound so agressive or insulting in his proper post either :/

The Witch King of Angmar
10-09-2008, 02:42 PM
I like that system as well or they should have multiple flags to choose from.

kronlc
10-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I like the idea of the designed flag having to be registered
before being put into use,thus would eliminating alot of problems
that could arise if the designs went unchecked. So bravo' a
good idea puppy a grand idea. LEts just hope its implemented eh, fingers
crossed.

kronlc
10-09-2008, 07:50 PM
What if people want to use those colours? What's wrong with that? Emblems, banners and flags usually were bright colours so that they were clearly seen on the battlefield to inspire morale.[/QUOTE]

I can just imagine it now, pink flags with love heart emblems
you dont get more medievil then that.

nickson104
10-10-2008, 02:06 PM
What if people want to use those colours? What's wrong with that? Emblems, banners and flags usually were bright colours so that they were clearly seen on the battlefield to inspire morale.

I can just imagine it now, pink flags with love heart emblems
you dont get more medievil then that.[/QUOTE]

You can see who doesnt think before speaking :p joke :p

just because we have the colours doesnt mean we have to use them, and besides... wouldnt that be unique? :p