PDA

View Full Version : Traps?

Neotyguy40
05-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Hey, I was wondering if it will be possible to set 'traps' for your enemies. I don't mean ambushes, but real traps that can capture enemy troops.

a. Traps like holes and net snares could trap enemies and keep them after a fight
b. Trapped troops may be freed if other troops attack the trap
c. You may force the captives to work as slaves, making them do peasant work until you either kill them or let them free (unlikely)

What do you all think?

Esculas the Mighty
05-22-2008, 07:27 PM
sure why not

wou129
05-22-2008, 11:40 PM
i like it to and let me ges u play travian

Puppeteer
05-23-2008, 08:00 AM
I like that. In Stronghold there were limited traps (2).

frankein_fish
05-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Not a bad idea but i think it's a bit late in development for traps to be included
(Unless they're already working on it :p)

Joseph Visscher
05-23-2008, 02:06 PM
You will see surface spike traps that do damage to units if they are trying to walk ontop of them, or fall on them... Other then that I will not say.

Generation
05-23-2008, 03:09 PM
that's pretty cool but if they put in like if u step on a string arrows come out or two trees hanging on a rope come after u and they'll be squashed

wou129
05-24-2008, 01:28 AM
or like logs hanging on the wall that can be realesd and then roll down

The Witch King of Angmar
05-24-2008, 07:28 AM
or like logs hanging on the wall that can be realesd and then roll down

They are actually burning logs. :p

LordSlayer
05-24-2008, 07:30 AM
They are actually burning logs. :p

Wounder how elves like those when they notice that they are starting fires in their beatiful forests :D

frankein_fish
05-24-2008, 01:39 PM
They will probably try and kill the fire and getting them self killed :p
BTW Slayer u played Dawn of war right?
Since the sig is a quote of the Space Marines Librarian :D

Khyron
06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Wonder if there will be a sappers unit (unit dedicated to siege warfare, trap making and trap finding) available to each factions. Personally i would like to see Koblods as sappers for the Dragon faction. The Orks sappers picking up a Goblin and throwing them into the traps seting them off.

raving
06-11-2008, 02:39 AM
Wounder how elves like those when they notice that they are starting fires in their beatiful forests :D

i would avenge the death of trees by skinning you alive!!!! ;)

olauwers
06-11-2008, 06:17 AM
Wonder if there will be a sappers unit (unit dedicated to siege warfare, trap making and trap finding) available to each factions. Personally i would like to see Koblods as sappers for the Dragon faction. The Orks sappers picking up a Goblin and throwing them into the traps seting them off.

Personally, I'd like to see dragons as sappers for the dragon faction. It'll be "Wooosh" with their tails and down go the walls.

Khyron
06-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Dragons crashing into the wall, useing breath attack, or magic to destroy walls would be a good backup if a sappers unit failed. Personaly i would not want my Titans of the battlefeild reduced to such work when they could be flying above the castle makeing a bonfire with a nice ring of stones to brevent a forest fire. Dont want that fire to spread into my economy after all.

olauwers
06-12-2008, 04:54 AM
Dragons are multi-functional ;)

LordSlayer
06-13-2008, 04:18 PM
i would avenge the death of trees by skinning you alive!!!! ;)

Yea, try to pierce my armored scales with your puny blades and arrows while I burn your pretty forest and everything that lives in it :D

Neotyguy40
06-13-2008, 08:46 PM
hey slayer, we have GOT to team in a match together... We can both pwn with our dragon armies...

Jean=A=Luc
06-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Yea, try to pierce my armored scales with your puny blades and arrows while I burn your pretty forest and everything that lives in it :D

I wouldn't underestimate arrows if I were you..errr, a dragon.

olauwers
06-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Well, there isn't that much to underestimate, when you are covered with scales stronger than any armor. Any at all. I would argue that the arrows should be more afraid of breaking than me... err, a dragon.

The Witch King of Angmar
06-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Back on topic, I would like to see spiked pits. They would look like a giant leaf pile but once you walk on them you would fall in.

olauwers
06-14-2008, 09:43 AM
I think the elves should be able to make many traps. Like, cages coming out of the trees and such.

The Witch King of Angmar
06-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Indeed or traps that make you hang from a tree in a cage or something like that.

raving
06-16-2008, 04:45 AM
or roots from trees pulling unit's underground

sharplion
06-16-2008, 01:40 PM
I think it will be too un-comfortable, it's to "high-tech" I mean, it will be too easy to defend the city, let's fight meele and have fun instead =D

cheers

Neotyguy40
06-17-2008, 02:54 PM
I think it will be too un-comfortable, it's to "high-tech" I mean, it will be too easy to defend the city, let's fight meele and have fun instead =D

cheers

We are trying to add strategy into the game...:D

Khyron
06-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Bring on the melee my traped walls that pour boiling seasoning on to the assaulters will make my troops eat well this nite.

Neotyguy40
06-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Let's say there is a raid of 100 troops... You have about 10 traps (not too many), then that is about 10% of the power trapped for the defender...

Khyron
06-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Wonder if one would be able to build a pit trap just outside there gate. imagine the attackers face when they wheel up a battering ram just to have it fall into a hole then a triggered event that the defenders all point and laugh like Nelson from the Simposons.

ash12181987
06-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Lets see... Rolling logs, Spikes shooting up from the ground, death pits... I want that thing from the original Conan Movie: The branch that swung back and impales the guy with the street cone sized piece of wood.

Khyron
06-25-2008, 01:01 AM
I want that thing from the original Conan Movie: The branch that swung back and impales the guy with the street cone sized piece of wood.

I think that trap is a form of Punjia sticks, horrible traps. Real World those sticks were smaller and often covered with material that would sure an infection would occur.

What ever traps are implemented into Dawn of Fantasy they will make players smile as there opponents march into them, and the receiver curse the game for implementing them.

Neotyguy40
06-28-2008, 09:34 AM
I want a trap that does this:

1. Idiot walks into the trap.
2. There hands and legs are tied to different heavy logs.
3. Each log rolls down the hill in different directions, ripping his limbs off at the same time.
4. The logs then rolls and crushes the others...

Khyron
06-30-2008, 08:06 PM
I want a trap that does this:

1. Idiot walks into the trap.
2. There hands and legs are tied to different heavy logs.
3. Each log rolls down the hill in different directions, ripping his limbs off at the same time.
4. The logs then rolls and crushes the others...

Sounds more like an interrigoation methoid after you win to find out exactly who attacked your home Castle, or for the attacker to find out where the gold and princesses are kept.

frankein_fish
07-01-2008, 03:02 AM
princesses

Princess? oooooooooo:eek:
Where?

Neotyguy40
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Oooo! I like da princesses!

Khyron
07-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Princess? oooooooooo:eek:
Where?

Oooo! I like da princesses!

General: Where is your princess?
Castle Guard: Ummm She down da hall make a right.
General: Lets go men my lovely is just down the hall.
Bodyguard 1: There he goes.
Bodyguard 2: Wow he is realy excited.
Bodyguard 3: You do realise our half-dwarf general lead us on an assault against an Ork castle not an Elven Castle.
Bodyguard 4: Well in his defense he has been drinking sence he was born, you know the whole mom and dad haveing a beared thing.

ash12181987
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
So... back on the path, that is the topic...

Punji sticks
Rolling logs (mentioned in official details)
firing pit... things
Spikey pit things
Big spikey pit things

Why not something with live animals... or poison?

Khyron
07-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Why not something with live animals... or poison?

Poison could be an upgrade for just about any trap maybe a lvl 2 variant.
I am not exactly sure how live animals would be made into a trap, what with the whole how do you keep animals from killing your people. Orks are a race that traps killing your own troops might not be a bad thing or at least in character. Animal handlers such as the hunting dog trainers from Rome Total War seem plausable but they whole release them they never come back was anoying.

nickson104
07-12-2008, 01:42 PM
traps are always good :) yeah i know it takes a lot of the actual fighting out but it adds a lot of strategy to it, for example the following

Heavily guarded city with killzone out front
Medium sized army
which route would it take?
A: kill zone full with melee units, in range of arrows and artillery
or
B: back route in the middle of a valley, high mountains either side looks harmless.... but filled with ingenious traps :)

either way will be fun for a defender and could in theory teach the attacker a lesson... or just add to the fun :)

but yeah someone mentioned stronghold... yeah that lacked traps i remember spamming spike traps to take the brunt of the AI attack force. The rolling log trap was always a good laugh too (especially when your main entrance is at the top of a long steep hill)

I like the sappers idea, especially the orc one it made me laugh :) if they did that i would choose orcs just to see that nah i cant abandon the dragons... i love dragons, dragons ftw! lol