PDA

View Full Version : "Official" What Other Factions Do You Want To See Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

The Witch King of Angmar
05-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Since Joseph cut off the last one, I figured I'd make another. This time, please stay on topic.

Joseph Visscher
05-11-2008, 04:15 PM
New winter theme, snowy blizzards etc, northern winter men, sort of like vikings. Human, not dwarf* very snowy dark stone walls. with a gate that would be more like a draw bridge and crush to kill anyone under it when it opens. new willy mammoths animals to hunt for food and or train into war mammoths loadable by archers.

Dwarves.

thats my wish list for dof2 or a xpack

The Witch King of Angmar
05-11-2008, 05:48 PM
I like the idea of a viking kind of race too. They would be fierce and crazy, but still have some order to them. I agree, I want dwarves.

Robert Schultz
05-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Snowmen. I like vikings too, mabye call them Nords.

cherbui
05-11-2008, 07:18 PM
i wonder would there be half elves or half dawarfs like a mix breed factions

Generation
05-11-2008, 07:52 PM
it would be cool for a viking race

The Witch King of Angmar
05-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Maybe they could have dark elves.

Robert Schultz
05-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Thye need some thing original... mabye demi-gods/divines.

frankein_fish
05-12-2008, 01:12 AM
"Dark elves" Sounds like Dark eldar :p

cherbui
05-12-2008, 01:27 AM
minotaurs !

can u imagine a gang of minotaurs beating up on poor orcs:eek: ? lol

Ovocean
05-12-2008, 04:19 AM
A race of bear beings wearing huge moustache, mounting wild ducks with sharp teeth. I imagine them going to battle spining and dancing with a springy step.

frankein_fish
05-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Hehe reminds me of the april fool on blizzards homepage "Tauren marines"
for starcraft II

wou129
05-12-2008, 12:07 PM
lol warcraft and starcraft together

Manasky
05-12-2008, 01:11 PM
A viking race sounds cool.

And I want dwarves too.

Pluss high elves would be interesting.

Some kind of dark faction with sorcerers and dark creatures.

frankein_fish
05-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Hmm, well High elves is implanted unless my memory betrays me (Again)
And since im swedish it wouldnt be that bad to see some distant relatives :p

Jean=A=Luc
05-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Actually it's the Dark Eldar who sound like the Dark Elves. ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing them, an evil underground race to rival the Dwarves, with demon summons, giant spiders (that clime walls) for support etc.

Puppeteer
05-12-2008, 03:19 PM
As you may or may not know, I quite like the idea of an Undead Faction.
Who am I kidding? Understatement of the century there! It would be awesome, as would the idea of the Nordic Tundra/Viking faction. The idea of gargantuan mammoths sounds cool!

Generation
05-12-2008, 05:56 PM
i dont like dwarfs but i like minotaurs

wou129
05-13-2008, 01:15 AM
i like puppetiers idee

SPARROW94
05-15-2008, 11:24 PM
petty fools the next race should be, UNDEAD i realy love that idea

LordSlayer
05-17-2008, 09:16 AM
I want undead with hordes of cheap units that can be ressurected when they die by necromancer type units and dwarves with alot of ale and gunpowder weapons (canons maybe :D)

SPARROW94
05-17-2008, 09:50 AM
pfft. cannons are a must if my fanatasy

Puppeteer
05-19-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm not so sure of gunpowder in this fantasy RTS, unless it's uncommon and not always foolproof

frankein_fish
05-20-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm not so sure of gunpowder in this fantasy RTS, unless it's uncommon and not always foolproof

Agree. Gunpowder isnt that "Realistic" in a fantasy altough if it's uncommon and has a pretty big change of blowing up in the gunner's That's fun :p:D

Gothmog82
05-20-2008, 05:09 AM
Firstly i'd like to wave at everyone in this forum, i'm a new member and as all of u i can't wait for the release of this game.Forgive me 4 my bad english, i knw it is't very good!:)

On my opinion let's increase the "dark" Factions, but dark elves are almost abused in fantasy games!The idea of Vikings or Nords is good as it is the one of undead...but what about mix the 2?Anyone has read "A Song of fire and Ice" by George RR Martin?

These barbarians could adore dark ancient Gods, and their sorcerers could summon (or convert dead units in) zombie-like creatures and so on..

frankein_fish
05-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Hmm well firstly id like to welcome u :D
And secound: belive me u have good english :rolleyes:
and third: i havent read the book but it sounds like a nice race especially since Vikings are distant relatives to me.
Im Swedish :p

Ryan Zelazny
05-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Firstly i'd like to wave at everyone in this forum, i'm a new member and as all of u i can't wait for the release of this game.Forgive me 4 my bad english, i knw it is't very good!:)

On my opinion let's increase the "dark" Factions, but dark elves are almost abused in fantasy games!The idea of Vikings or Nords is good as it is the one of undead...but what about mix the 2?Anyone has read "A Song of fire and Ice" by George RR Martin?

These barbarians could adore dark ancient Gods, and their sorcerers could summon (or convert dead units in) zombie-like creatures and so on..

Welcome Gothmog,

Dark Elves would be a great faction in my opinion, i'm a huge R.A. Salvatore fan, and our "fantasy direction" if you will is mostly D&D based, so you could be assured that it would be done right. With the technology to have underground stuctures in DoF, i'm sure Dark Elves would be something we could really run with. However I'm not sure how well they would work as an add-on as we already have an elven faction and some players might find them too similiar. Though for people who have read about them will argue they can be quite different.

The Barbarians would be a good idea as well, I'm sure the writers could do a lot with that, also having a Divine sort of magic rather than Arcane could also give you a much different gameplay style.

Currently we don't have a divine magic style, and I think going forward into DoF 2, it will be something we'll add. Clerics, Paladins, Shamans and Monks are all really huge Fantasy classes that we currently don't employ, so it's definately something we will be thinking about for the next DoF installment.

Puppeteer
05-20-2008, 12:13 PM
waves at Gothmog :)
hmm... Dark Elves, I like that! A faction based on rituals, peculiar demons, and uses more technology then the current Elves. I'm thinking crossbows, long dark blades, hellish demons, gothic architecture...

Jean=A=Luc
05-20-2008, 01:24 PM
A Dark Elves/Dwarves combo could be great for a potential expansion. Two new underground races, one good, one evil.

I know there's been a lot of undead talk here but maybe they could be incorporated into the Dark Elven fluff which would also help to differentiate the D. Elves from "regular" ones.

A concept: Dark Elves are very powerful but few in number compared to other races. They rely on necromancy to create the bulk of their armies while actual D. Elven units are not so numerous but are very "elite". Now as an interesting mechanic the D. Elves could have dark vision and wouldn't suffer penalties during night time (when on surface) but would be disadvantaged during daytime for which they could potentially compensate with "darkness" spells (at higher levels maybe even powerful rituals which eclipse the sun or something). So typically D. Elves would stay underground during daytime and would emerge when the night falls to attack, but they could still surprise an unwary opponent with daytime attacks (supported by "globe of" darkness spells) or by simply using their undead units (which wouldn't suffer light penalties, not all of them at least). The elite D. Elven units could be powerful Mages/Necromancers and highly skilled warriors (warrior mages?) with elegant swords and crossbows coated with strong paralyzing (and other) poisons and some interesting abilities etc.

And I wouldn't mind seeing some gunpowder weapons used by the dwarves and maybe even integrating a gnome subfaction into the the dwarven race for even more exotic weaponry etc.

The Witch King of Angmar
05-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Dark Elves wouldn't necessarily be evil but just more secluded from the rest of society. More of a mystrious type to me than evil.

Ryan Zelazny
05-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Dark Elves if they were to become a faction, in my opinion would have to be evil. There aren't many dark elves that turn good in Fantasy novels, so if we went against the grain with this race, they would most definitely flop as we try and make the races true to their Fantasy roots.

Not sure if the Necromancers would be a good idea with the Dark Elves either. I agree that their units would have to be quite powerful singularly. They would be at a big disadvantage as to archers though. Thats the big difference between them and surface elves, as archers wouldn't be too useful underground. They do use lots of hand-crossbows for short range but the only real long range thing they use is magic.

With the better at night, not good in day, I would agree with. The materials their weapons and armor are made out of are supposed to be harmed by sunlight, so that would be one disadvantage we could add, also lower their accuracy due to the sunlight affecting their sensitive eyes.

I would worry that people might expect to use a sort of underground tunneling system to move their units during the day, which could also be used by the Dwarves. However, then we risk getting to close to another RTS (which I cannot remember the name of, i think it's Armies of Xergo or something) but basically they have an underground and surface on every map.

Puppeteer
05-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm not too fond of incorporating the Dark Elves and Undead. True true, I had contemplated it when I was writing my last posts but decided upon innane babble instead :) But, I have a couple of points:
1). There is lots of diversity and scope for amazing ideas for each faction. For example, your Night and Day Cycle of Advantages/Disadvantages would be great, but for the Undead, I could only really see that affecting the Vampyres. I mean, I don't think Skeletons care if it's night or day. True, the dark forces of necromancy may have some affiliation with the Lunar Cycle but that shouldn't matter much. There are so many possibilities for both Dark Elves and the Undead, that to limit them and to force them into one faction would destroy some of the greatest diversity. Or, if all units included, some obvious ones would be neglected as there are so many units to choose from compared to the original factions.
2). Dark Elves aren't necessarily evil (going into the whole definition thing). What may be a possibility is that they didn't choose their name. Perhaps, as contextual background, Dark Elves were given the derogatory prefix "Dark because they broke off from the High Elves. An example is the Wood Elves who may view the High Elves as Dark because they denied the embrace of Mother Nature. Or, the High Elves the Wood Elves because they degenerated into pagans in the forest. Far from being evil, the Dark Elves could be perhaps a schism that the regular elves so evidently oppose.

I want to see both factions? Siege units for Dark Elves could include:
o Ballistae = ballistae that fire large bolts quickly, in succession, after each other; one is fired and the other falls into place. Small reload time (though still some, mechanisms can only decrease pull of rope)
o Advanced Battering Ram = setup infront of a gate, this thing requires no people instead relies upon robes, cogs and other pieces of it's vast amount of mechanism to use its own momentum (stabilised by wooden beams) to constantly pound the gate
o Generic (catapult, siege tower and ladders)
o Smaller Ballistae = small, 2 man ones to decimate troops. Like a crossbow-machine gun. Think Roman Ballistae.
o Upgrades for Ballistae = ropes. Not to climb up, but once fired at wall if sticks on say the revetments then people/monsters if they are evil pull at it to pull away the wall

Generation
05-21-2008, 05:45 PM
and what would they be made of they cant use wood in Dawn of Fantasy

Jean=A=Luc
05-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Those siege weapons seam very generic and just slightly weird (pulling down walls with ropes?).

How about some crazy magical purple crystal that emits sonic waves to shatter structures (walls, gates etc.) or something along those lines? Could even have a special ability to stun units or whatever.

Puppeteer
05-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Thing is, are they evil? Or misunderstood?

wou129
05-22-2008, 01:06 PM
in my opinion thay are the forces of eviel and call demons on earth

frankein_fish
05-22-2008, 02:02 PM
nananana. They arent evil they just have a wierd mind (And a little bit evil MWAHAHAHAHAHA)

Joseph Visscher
05-22-2008, 06:08 PM
and what would they be made of they cant use wood in Dawn of Fantasy

Elves do use wood, just the workers can't kill trees or gather wood, there are still other ways to get wood though, easy ways. ;)
I think if where going to name them a stupid name like "Dark Elves" then I think they would be evil.

Which I think is good, alot of players won't play elves because they want to be 'Evil' Orcs instead, this would allow players to be the 'Evil' side as the elves.

Jean=A=Luc
05-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah, D. Elves are totally evil (yes, I'm aware they don't technically need to be), get over it guys. Here's an awesome pic for inspiration. ;) Interesting thing is D. Elves aren't as much represented in fantasy games (compared to other races at least). Note the elegant lines of her crossbow, saber and armour.
http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs16/i/2008/104/5/a/Drow_of_the_Underdark_by_francis001.jpg
Some kind of summons to augment their forces would be nice, if not undead then deamons or something. Also a slavery theme might be interesting too. In Forgotten Realms Drow enslave members of various races for different purposes, goblins (as workers and combat fodder), dwarves (as craftsmen), minotaurs/bugbears (house guards, heavy laborers) etc. If units in DOF come in groups when built (with no regard as to whether they move as individual units or in "battalion form"), the basic fighting body of the D. Elves could be a kind of a "slave rabble" team. Let's say you get 10 units from one recruiting, 4 of those could be goblins, 3 could be humans, 2 dwarves and 1 surface elf. Basically a mob of differently skilled units with poor or mediocre equipment, potentially "brainwashed" by Drow magic to make them more obedient soldiers. Anyway, I'm just throwing idea around. :)

wou129
05-23-2008, 12:43 AM
nice pic man

Puppeteer
05-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Nice Pic! Suppose it makes sense if they're evil. Not original but probably the best bet.
An elegant evil faction... you don't hear much about those now d'ya :D

frankein_fish
05-23-2008, 11:09 AM
you don't hear much about those now d'ya :D

Suppose u dont.
(Desperatly trying to come up with an elegant race) :p
Dark Eldar? Maybe not that much elegancy but pure evilness :D (And lots of gore)

wou129
05-24-2008, 02:29 AM
gore gore gore what do u have with gore man

Jean=A=Luc
05-24-2008, 05:30 AM
I'm pretty sure he means Al Gore.:D

Shozen
05-24-2008, 03:47 PM
dark elves are famous for fighting each others and assassinate one another to get power over the city.. and thats the major reason why they are not making war with the rest of the world (in the forgotten realms setting)

So it could be nice if instead of having a city per player, there could be one or two huge Dark elves cities in the world and you would control a district in the city. So you could be fighting against other districts to conquer them and some of them could eventually form an alliance.. and then turn on each other etc..

The difficutly level would be raised but then again.. it's a harsh world down there :)

olauwers
05-24-2008, 05:36 PM
New winter theme, snowy blizzards etc, northern winter men, sort of like vikings. Human, not dwarf* very snowy dark stone walls. with a gate that would be more like a draw bridge and crush to kill anyone under it when it opens. new willy mammoths animals to hunt for food and or train into war mammoths loadable by archers.

Dwarves.

thats my wish list for dof2 or a xpack

Agreed. Especially the mammoths. They own. :d
I think their cities should be built in caves and mountains, though. Which would make it more difficult to take them, but once you're in, it's difficult for the enemy to get out.

Esculas the Mighty
05-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Agreed. Especially the mammoths. They own. :d
I think their cities should be built in caves and mountains, though. Which would make it more difficult to take them, but once you're in, it's difficult for the enemy to get out.

i dont thin the enemy is gonna want to get out once they are in

frankein_fish
05-25-2008, 01:30 AM
I'm pretty sure he mean Al Gore.:D

Nope i meant gore......

and to Esculas: He didnt meant that the enemys wanted to get out,
but the people living in the cave would probably want that :D

raving
06-03-2008, 06:52 AM
i got some ideas too for new races 1 evil and 1 good army ;) ^^

evil army: Demons, they would have undead subunits wall look like there on fire scorch the land they pass, something like that still thinking about subfeatures for them but im not getting paid for that . Powerfull unit would be one big ass strong demon or that. Maybe have their catapults shoot the heads of the people they killed before for intimidating reasons?? dunno .

good army: well angels . giving them walls wich are constanly covered in bright heavenly light. having subunits like unicorns and stuff, only the purest creatures or so. powerfull unit tadada :p big ass angel ;).

just some ideas :p.

Ryan Zelazny
06-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Good ideas Raving, and I'm going to criticize the ideas, but please take it as constructive. I like the idea of the races, but there are challenges we would have to go through to make them work, and thats why I put in my feedback, because if you can get through those barriers, we might have something we can work with.

Angels idea gives me pause. We haven't really set down a religion system in DoF, I would say we would go for a D&D type god system where there are numerous gods if we did put them in. As I said before, we have no divine/religious type units in the game yet such as Paladins, Clerics, Monks ect. So I would approach the idea of having a race like Angels with caution.

Demons though also a religious idea, are also a huge base in fantasy, fiends, devils and other types of demon are alway included in novels and games. Again it's difficult to make a race out of them, Demons are usually very powerful on their own and having an army of them seems hard in terms of balancing. We could make demon units the same caliber as humans/orcs/elves but in the minds of most players it wouldn't seem right that a human warrior can stand toe to toe with a huge hulking demon.

So it would be to find different challenges for the user when choosing a race like demons. We had to do this for Dragons, because we are dealing with massively powerful creatures, we want them to be like that in the game. With Dragons it was creating different types of creatures that were still dragon-ish, but without all the powers, such as flight/fire breathing/being gigantic and limiting the units that are like that. We have units like Drakes which to people can be the equivilent of other races foot soldiers, then we have other units like a lindwyrm that can be the equivilent of 3-5 units but will take you a lot more resources and more time to make. But we also put in large units like the Royal Dragon, which can fly/breathe fire/is gigantic, but it would be VERY difficult to have an entire army of Royal Dragons.

Demons would have to have a number of disadvantages, which could be believable. For one I would have them not have buildings, this is basically because Demons are generally from different planes of existance and need to be summoned. So I would have minor units say... Imps, that would summon your units, as the Imp levels up, the stronger a demon it can summon. Leaving that kind of power in the hand of a unit that cannot really defend itself presents a challenge to the player, because if your level 20 imp that can summon anything dies, you cannot summon your powerful units. I'm not saying that Demons would have no buildings at all, but pretty much limit them to camps with weak walls, you wouldn't have demon fortresses.

Another thing would be the fact that most demons have inherent magical abilities. I would say that each demon would not get more spells as they progress, they would be stuck with what they had. This would present challenges in spell battles for them. Lastly I'd probably make some minor demons that could be classed as heavy foot soldiers, easily summoned but are basic melee units.

fyro11
06-03-2008, 11:01 AM
I realise that my post won't entirely be on new self-sufficient races, but since we're on the topic of Races of Angels and Demons, an idea could be that they are available as a late-game, summonable sub-faction. So, Men and Elves (and even Dwarves, whenever they're available) could summon late-game, Angels. They (the Angels) would have their own buildings, but very limited, and would be very powerful. In the same way, the other side of the divide; the Orcs and Dragons (although some may not want to perceive them as evil) and the Undead (again, when they're available) would be able to summon Demons as a subfaction with its own set of limited buildings but powerful and limited troops.

EDIT: Actually, for some reason my idea doesn't seem like such a good one. But if someone can base another idea off of it, then kudos to you. :)

Ryan Zelazny
06-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Not a bad idea Fyro. I would say that would be a good Cleric/Shaman spell. Though I would say we'd probably limit it to a max of 3 different types of demons/angels you could summon if we only made them that small of a faction.

raving
06-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Good ideas Raving, and I'm going to criticize the ideas, but please take as constructive. I like the idea of the races, but there are challenges we would have to go through to make them work, and thats why I put in my feedback, because if you can get through those barriers, we might have something we can work with.

Angels idea gives me pause. We haven't really set down a religion system in DoF, I would say we would go for a D&D type god system where there are numerous gods if we did put them in. As I said before, we have no divine/religious type units in the game yet such as Paladins, Clerics, Monks ect. So I would approach the idea of having a race like Angels with caution.

Demons though also a religious idea, are also a huge base in fantasy, fiends, devils and other types of demon are alway included in novels and games. Again it's difficult to make a race out of them, Demons are usually very powerful on their own and having an army of them seems hard in terms of balancing. We could make demon units the same caliber as humans/orcs/elves but in the minds of most players it wouldn't seem right that a human warrior can stand toe to toe with a huge hulking demon.

So it would be to find different challenges for the user when choosing a race like demons. We had to do this for Dragons, because we are dealing with massively powerful creatures, we want them to be like that in the game. With Dragons it was creating different types of creatures that were still dragon-ish, but without all the powers, such as flight/fire breathing/being gigantic and limiting the units that are like that. We have units like Drakes which to people can be the equivilent of other races foot soldiers, then we have other units like a lindwyrm that can be the equivilent of 3-5 units but will take you a lot more resources and more time to make. But we also put in large units like the Royal Dragon, which can fly/breathe fire/is gigantic, but it would be VERY difficult to have an entire army of Royal Dragons.

Demons would have to have a number of disadvantages, which could be believable. For one I would have them not have buildings, this is basically because Demons are generally from different planes of existance and need to be summoned. So I would have minor units say... Imps, that would summon your units, as the Imp levels up, the stronger a demon it can summon. Leaving that kind of power in the hand of a unit that cannot really defend itself presents a challenge to the player, because if your level 20 imp that can summon anything dies, you cannot summon your powerful units. I'm not saying that Demons would have no buildings at all, but pretty much limit them to camps with weak walls, you wouldn't have demon fortresses.

Another thing would be the fact that most demons have inherent magical abilities. I would say that each demon would not get more spells as they progress, they would be stuck with what they had. This would present challenges in spell battles for them. Lastly I'd probably make some minor demons that could be classed as heavy foot soldiers, easily summoned but are basic melee units.

i see youre point where u place angels in a religic context but when i talk about angels i talk about pure beings who's sole purpose is to aid all people no matter what cost they have to make for it, even killing others. Angels are usually indeed mixed with "holy" units since they are pure and will do to do their "gods work.

Also with demons when i say a demon army i ment with 1 powerfull uber demon to be summonable (end game or so ) and the rest be undead minions, like undead swordsmen, archers, undead horsemen, or abonimations and stuff like that, since mostly the demon is the uper lord who commands all these creatures. You can also just name the class undead and let their strongest creater still be demon or so.
Same with the angels. they can have for example divine swordsmen ( wich would be a mix of humans/elves who work for them, giving the units they create a bright light and full white armors or so. and there higher creatures unicorns and stuff. I like the idea tho of d&d gods ^^

btw i like constructive critisism please keep going :D

olauwers
06-03-2008, 12:50 PM
i dont thin the enemy is gonna want to get out once they are in

The enemy being the ones that already owned the city. It would be more difficult for them to get troops out to counter/flanck-attack the agressors.

Darvin
06-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Just naming factions is boring. This is my idea of faction propositions:

Undead
Flavour:
Leadership: Typically, the undead forces are lead either by powerful spellcasters who have retained their mental faculties and free will through the process of death and reanimation. Sometimes, however, restless spirits band together and form a collective consciousness that may drive an undead force.
Society: Most undead are mindless, defending their final resting place against intrusion until they turn to dust. These individuals form the bulk of the undead army. Some undead, however, retain their mental faculties even after death, but for whatever reason lack free will. Without some external intelligence to command them, they will act as benign as ordinary undead as a result. Only a small proportion of undead retain both their intelligence and free will. These are the leaders, commanders, and planners of the undead. Although typically more patient and cunning than they were in life, they are no less fickle, and are more than capable of betraying their masters.
Good/Evil: Although often regarded as evil, the undead are not necessarily so. In the natural world, undead are usually benign. They will often attack intruders on sight, but will not leave their resting place without some form of provocation or outside force. However, undead that retain their free will are essentially the same person that died (although they will invariably act somewhat differently; typically they will be less emotional and more patient), and will retain any agenda or ideologies they held in life. While many undead armies are driven by a desire for power and control, some are not so malevolent. Some undead actually serve as silent protectors of their descendants, while others build hidden societies of the undead that exist right under the noses of the living.
Lifespan: The undead lifespan varies dramatically. Some undead are brought back to life forcibly by crude magics. Depending on the strength of these magics, their lifespan could vary anywhere between a few minutes to a few months. Undead that rise in the natural order, or by more permanent magical means, will survive until their body literally turns to dust. Powerful undead wizards are said to be able to reach ages of over five thousand years. Most undead cannot actually heal their injuries. Unless an injury is crippling, they will usually ignore it (since undead feel no pain), but if it is serious, the undead will search for a fresh corpse and scavenge the body for a replacement body part. If a body of their own species is unavailable, they will try to find a body part from another species. Powerful undead are capable of regenerating their damaged forms without need for such cannibalism.

Concept:
Although natural undead are benign, undead armies are not. They will form their own societies with much the same roles as the other races. However, undead have no use for food. Instead, they require a fresh supply of corpses.

Undead "cities" can be built either on the surface or below the ground, and often are a combination of the two. Although the undead often scavenge their weapons from battlefields, they have no compunction with making their own. They can harvest resources like any faction. However, their work force is entirely made up of mindless undead, which can easily be converted to soldiers and back to labourers at any time.

Intelligent undead often experiment with their less intelligent subordinates, intentionally removing body parts and forcing them to use unnatural replacements. This has created entire classes of undead monstrosities that are combinations of different animal body parts. Non-humanoids have a very low success rate for reanimation. Dragons are the only non-humanoids that can be reanimated with any reliability.

The undead steeds appear to be skeletal horses, but actually are not undead. Instead, they are actually golems (magical constructs) created using the bones of dead horses. As a result, they are completely inert without a rider, and will literally stand still like a statue (even if under attack) until given an order by their rider to do otherwise. This means they can actually be used by anyone, even the living.

Although typical undead are frail by the standards of a living, breathing soldiers, they are quite resilient to the elements. Cold and fire are much less effective against bare bone than they are against bare flesh. As a result, undead soldiers are far more resistant to magical damage than their living counterparts. As well, they have no qualms with being treated as fodder and sacrificed to take down more powerful enemies.

The undead do not need to breath, hence their soldiers can literally walk along a river bed to pass through it. However, the undead may be unable to hold out against stronger currents. This prevents them from passing through deeper waters, such as oceans. Some weaker varieties may be more limited.

Spirit
Flavour:
Leadership: A single incorporeal entity of immense power may sometimes manifest its will upon the plane. When it does, its influence will surely be felt by a great many. The Spirit faction is lead by a single will that drives every creature - be it a living mortal or a lesser spirit - under its command. Spirits are immensely powerful, but their ethereal nature can make it difficult to project their influence upon the physical plane.
Society: The spirit draws lesser creatures to its cause, luring them by appealing to their desires (whether those desires are self-less or self-interested is another matter entirely). Once they submit to the spirit, the individual is often so overwhelmed by its sheer force of will that they become single-minded fanatics. However, mortals are not the only potential servants of a spirit; the spirit may also enlist the help of weaker spirits (some of whom may maintain a physical shape) or magical creatures. Elementals, golems, and other mindless forces of nature or constructs may also heed the whim of the spirit.
Good/Evil: Individual spirits can vary, much like people, from benevolent to despicable. Their motivations are difficult to fathom, and they do not allow such information to fall into mortal hands. A spirit might be honest about its nature, or hide or obscure it. Still others may straddle the line between good and evil to further their ambiguous agenda. Although some regard spirits as divine, most are reserved about them and their meddling.
Lifespan: It is difficult to gauge a spirit's lifespan, or if it even has one. Certainly spirits do appear to come into existance and leave existance at certain points of time, but whether this is a parallel to death is highly debatable. Even spirits that have a body cannot be killed by destroying that body, since it's no more than a husk to them. Given enough time, it can be replaced (although more powerful spirits will need more time to create an appropriate form). It is generally believed that spirits can be weakened and forced to become dormant, but never actually killed. They are a primal part of the world itself.

Concept:
A Spirit begins with a small amount of followers, and must build its presence from there. There are three types of followers: mortals, spirits, and constructs. Spirits require large quantities of mana, constructs require large quantities of physical resources (metal, stone, wood), while followers tend to require more food. Focusing on one type in particular is possible, or diversifying with two or all three will produce entirely different spirit armies.

The spirit army does not have spellcasters, but instead its spirit type units fulfill the role. Creating spirit units requires mana. As well, each unit can be customized with special abilities that will further drain mana. You can also use "omniscient" spells anywhere nearby your minions, giving spirits a powerful spellcasting presence, but also a stronger hunger for mana than any other faction. Strong spirit units may require a constant "upkeep" of mana to keep alive, and may need to be dismissed to allow your mana reserves to recover.

Constructs are magical automatons that will follow orders without question. They make powerful footsoldiers and infantry, especially during sieges. Constructs are typically slow but powerful, and can be constructed in a variety of styles. They are highly resource intensive, however. Special constructs can be created for the express purpose of collecting resources.

Mortal followers are often enticed by a Spirit's offer. These mortals make a faction army very similar to the kinds seen in other factions, but typically of lower quality. They often rely on stealth and guile rather than force of arms to overcome an enemy force. A spirit is capable of extending his influence and corrupting enemy forces, enabling him to cause defection among enemy ranks. Although followers are typically human, orcs, elves, dwarves and even drakes are known to be amongst their numbers.

Spirits typically manipulate their natural environments for defense rather than using walls. Their "communities" are centered around a nexus of power where mana collects and feeds the spirit. This nexus extends sovereignty to the spirit over a wide area of land around it, enabling him to extend his magical powers over the region and modify it to his whim.

Spirits do not have any cavalry unit (their mortal followers aren't exactly the kind of units that benefit from cavalry), but they do have constructs and spirits that can fulfill the role of fast shock units.

raving
06-04-2008, 11:48 AM
damn nice post darvin, i was thinking about spirits too but wasnt able to find fighting force for them since i didnt really see a spirit army with swords yet ;). Nice to see you diverted that problem :D. looks real good.

Darvin
06-04-2008, 12:56 PM
The spirit army is supposed to comprise the idea of fanatical cults, magical constructs/elementals, angels, demons, and spirit-creatures. I just compressed all of that into one faction :-)

fyro11
06-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Hmm, I would argue that having an army of 'spirits' (going by your description) would be akin to having an army of 'wild beasts'. Take, for example, demons and angels, it just wouldn't make sense for them to be on the same team, no? Apparently, it seems my previous post (just above) struck a chord with the dev. team (re: angels and demons).

Also, I think just 'harvesting in' or 'reaping in' any and every ethereal/wild unit would again be too contrasting within the team itself. By this, I mean you may have ghosts on one hand, but on the other, you may have golems; two different things. They just don't go imo. Whereas all the other races are nicely in line. The Dwarves are a 'race' just as humans and Elves and Dragons and Orcs are. I know the Orcs may have goblins, but for the most part the race just consists of two/three different kinds of units. They don't digress too much. The Undead all have something in common, i.e. that they're undead :p. Saying that the Spirits race will have a cause in common is not enough imo, because it could even consist of humans, dragons and elves. Hmm, I guess I could be wrong though; just my two cents.

The Spirits race would need some tweaking, but it could be workable, imo.

Darvin
06-04-2008, 09:23 PM
The idea of "attracting" spirits is just flavour text, they'd be produced like units, not found running wild on the map. Since mana would be a part of their creation price, however, they wouldn't play out quite like ordinary soldiers for other factions do. Secondly, only spirits with compatible philosophies would be drawn together; obviously opposing spirits would not be.

Take, for example, demons and angels, it just wouldn't make sense for them to be on the same team, no?

This presumes a moral dichotomy. Many fantasy settings enforce a very rigid concept of good and evil, disallowing overlap between them. An angel is good, therefor it must be the enemy of a demon, which is evil.

If you presume morality is not absolute, however, and a "good" action for one person may be perceived as an "evil" action by another, this becomes less clear. Rather than being agents of ambiguous ideologies called "good" and "evil", demons and angels are rather agents of a more tangible agenda. If two angels could have agendas that are mutually exclusive (as will be the case in a mirror match), then it also stands to reason that angels and demons could have agendas that overlap.

Rather than view these as two separate entities, I view angels and demons in this instance as two faces of the same creature. The angel is merely the protective and creative side, whereas the demon is the aggressive and destructive side. Typically we associate these roles with good and evil respectively, but this is not necessarily the case.

fyro11
06-05-2008, 06:34 AM
With all due respect, good friend, I don't think you have refuted me wholly (or holy? :p). I know they'd be produced, rather than just raking them in, but the point I was trying to make was that the creatures are still, in effect, a harvest of all wild independent creatures. And these creatures differ far too much like the example I gave, a ghostly spirit and a golem.

I agree that your vision of angels and demons is one way of looking at it, but I think the dev. team have already decided to take up these two as 'minifactions'.

Ryan Zelazny
06-05-2008, 09:19 AM
We haven't decided to add any of the mentioned races, even ones we were previously thinking about such as Dwarves.

We will wait until DoF is released and see how it is received before we plan on making an expansion for it. If DoF isn't successful, it wouldn't be worth our time to create expansions.

For the spirits idea of "attracting" different spirits to you, it kind've reminds me of dungeon keeper, where what type and size of rooms you have will attract creatures to your dungeon. That could be an interesting way to design a faction. It would work almost like a tech tree, where you build this building you can get these types of units, but perhaps we could have buildings like summoning stones or something that you could assign imps to -kind've like how the undead harvest gold in WC3- so that the more imps you have assigned to that summoning stone would attract that kind've creature more, but you are never "guaranteed" to get that.

Darvin
06-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Actually, I was thinking of Dungeon Keeper when designing this faction, although not in the way you're thinking. For me, it is more in the sense that the faction is lead by a single near-omniscient ethereal entity with only minor links to the physical world, not the concept of attracting creatures randomly.

The concept of "attracting" is more flavour text. Whereas the other races have commoners which are trained into soldiers, there is no such equivalent for spirits. Instead of an abstract "training" process, the spirits have an abstract "attraction" process which is equivalent. With that said, I'm certain you could take Ryan's interpretation and implement it into an interesting faction.

Instead of random creatures, however, I would think that the spirit player would establish an "alignment" which would determine what type of basic spirits he attracted at each of his buildings. These spirits could then be customized to fulfill specific roles. This would keep the attraction process equivalent to the training process (maintaining direct control of the makeup of your army) while keeping that pseudo-random flavour.

Puppeteer
06-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I think that the Undead should be very much of a leadership faction. Not in the sense of morale boosting, and courage through powerful yet honourable commanders who inspire greater fightning, but more of the manipulation of necromancers who reanimated the corpses needs physical presence to be stronger. This means, if a spell caster or a weaker but en masse version who is more of a magic archer is near to the undead animates, then they are able to sustain more damage because the dark (or light) forces flowing through them are strengthened by the physical presence of the necromancer.
Without the presence, they could not take as much damage. I think this system would be unique as it would not make sense in the other factions as their intelligence cannot be questioned (orcs are an exception), but would provide a battle with Undead making more sense (if it can :)); animated corpses would be able to do functions but when their overseer is nearby, the strength is greatened.

I like your concept of good & evil undead, Darvin. It's certainly interesting, however if Undead were implemented there would have to be radical changes to structures, powers and units-look for differences in good and evil. If their walls were structures of black ebony with a dark glow, automatically it would look strange to see their allignment to be good. Whilst I agree on the concept of guarding burial grounds, whole heartedly I must say ;), Undead would have to have some unique system regarding Good and Evil.

Also with demons when i say a demon army i ment with 1 powerfull uber demon to be summonable (end game or so ) and the rest be undead minions, like undead swordsmen, archers, undead horsemen, or abonimations and stuff like that, since mostly the demon is the uper lord who commands all these creatures. You can also just name the class undead and let their strongest creater still be demon or so.

This does not make much valid sense. Demons are traditionally from the Spiritual Planes of existence, and are beings of pure magic abominations. They would not be good as Good faction. Anyway, digressing. The Undead can be anywhere. Beings and entities from spiritual planes would not necessarily allign with reanimated corpses. Orcs are abonimations by appearance too, so surely they might allign with the abonimations that are Demons. Unless, Demons are simply like the Spirits Darvin explained but not exactly. They are not beings of just ether.

Jean=A=Luc
06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Orcs are abonimations by appearance too...

What, how so? This is a typical case of fantasy racism imo. In that case, from an orcish perspective, humans might very well be abominations as well.

olauwers
06-07-2008, 03:33 AM
What, how so? This is a typical case of fantasy racism imo. In that case, from an orcish perspective, humans might very well be abominations as well.

Yes, but they don't whine about it :D

Puppeteer
06-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Seeing as we are indeed humans, it's natural to view the Orcs as abominations from the appearance view. You can view humans as monsters not physically but mentally

Jean=A=Luc
06-07-2008, 11:23 AM
What I mean to say is that simply being different doesn't mean being "abominable", from either perspective. Both humans and orcs are native to the material plane while the demons are "outsiders" coming from some astral/helish/evil/spiritual plain. That's the difference between an abomination and non-abomination in the context you used it in that earlier post. Only I don't think abomination is the correct term, it's probably abberation or simply outsider or something like that. But if you think orcs are simply ugly that's a different matter.

Abomination is probably better suited to the undead or some such phenomenon that might be classified as "unnatural".

Puppeteer
06-08-2008, 06:07 AM
I'm not using abomination in the concept of what world you come from, or what spiritual plane. Note how I use the term "appearance" in each post so that renders that false. Indeed, Undead are the must abominable creatures ever! What I am suggesting is that it is not too farfetched for the petty Humans, and indeed even the pious Elves, to see something as ugly they would fear it. They would rather ally with ferocious pixies rather than ferocious Orcs from the gene pool. Likewise, if this is the case from the weak-minded humans, as they are often portrayed their as normal troops are susceptile to fear, then the enemy-of their enemy (ie. orcs and demons) then these "abominations by appearance" would rather ally.

Darvin
06-08-2008, 03:09 PM
"Abomination" is defined as something which is greatly disliked and abhorred. In other words, it's all a matter of the perspective of whoever is calling it an abomination.

You might want to use the terms "natural" and "unnatural" here. A good way to define these terms is to say that a "natural" creature sources its energy (at some level) from the sun, and unnatural creatures do not. This would clearly put humans, elves, dragons, and orcs all in the natural realm (since they eat plants and animals that ultimately got their energy from the sun) and undead and spirits (or angels/demons, if you want the distinction) in the unnatural realm.

Puppeteer
06-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Maybe it would be more fitting to call natural things born from another, and unnatural something either spawned or produced by dark arts/magic/from the ether?

Khyron
06-09-2008, 04:55 PM
After reading this thread i have several ideas for factions i would like to see or modifications to others ideas that may allow for the factions to be more easily added to the game.

First factions that have my vote for later expansion/Dof 2 that don't require long explanation. These are in no particular order.

Dwarfs - Not my favorite race but a fantasy staple especially if there is an underground added. They dwarfs could have unreliable black powder weapons (don't work in rain, and make a fog of war around the weapons reducing the weapons accuracy).

Dark Elves - again a fantasy staple, but one that i like more than Dwarfs. I tend to get bored with the High Elves that have there morals so high up that they cant even use there magic to see what those morals are. The Dark Elves could be High Elves that were cast down for violation of the High Elf code or a Fallen separate High Elf empire trying to regain power.

Vikings/North Men - I do like this idea a lot with ability to put multiple archers on a Mammoth. I would like to add the idea of heavy bear mounted Calvary, use Battle Axes in mle and throwing Axes on the charge to break up enemy formations on the charge.

Rat People - A Skaven like race from Warhammer Fantasy swarm tactics, magical technology that can randomly blow up. The faction could be a decent Evil force should an expansion add a good and evil race with dwarfs being on the side of good. This combination would make the underground a place of constant war.

A pure Goblin Faction - No orks at all a few enslaved monstrous creatures to off set there small infantry size. Faction would be based around Swarm tactics if they out number the enemy more than 2 goblins to one enemy no problem if they don't, they run.

A kobold Faction - Little reptilian creatures that inhabit swamps/mountains. This would be a swarm army that sets up lots of traps then pulling enemy into the traps. This faction could have there elite units be mercenaries from the dragon faction.

Gnome/Halfling alliance Faction - Two little races allied together for survival. These guys would have better than normal moral and a dodge bonus to defense. Harder to hit and they have been picked on all there life this is there chance to show the big guys that they can fight. Both races would contribute to the early forces (spear men, swords men)

Halflings could be closer tied to nature giving the faction there early ranged units and light Calvary (dog/wolf riders). Mid and Late game the Halfling casters could be healers and buff there allies. The halflings could also have an odd catapult that launches a large Pot(such as a Witches cauldron) at the hostile forces. This catapult could be loaded with any range of ammunition from boiling oil, boiling water, or a tasty dinner. The tasty dinner option could cause the forces it lands near to break formation and sit down to diner then they get hit with a pot of boiling oil thinking it is more food they don't run.

Gnomes would be tinkers and builders the young would join in the army as warriors. The older Gnomes would build constructs to aid in the war as well as the warmachins for sieges. There could be golem workshops to make constructs for fighting. Siege workshops could make the large machines of war and even a Steam Tank there ultimate creation equipped with a steam cannon, battering ram prow, and exposed boiler in the rear(exposed from ground level rear, no dragon flying directly above breathing fire to hit the tanks weak point). The Gnomes could have all sorts of fancy magical/technological weapons that are as much a danger to the user as the enemies.

Destruction faction - made up of two part a mortal realm force and summoned Daemons. The faction could easily have up to 5 sub-factions or tech trees. One focusing on mle with limited ranged and magic. A second based on pestilence, third based on deception, the fourth based on Magic with high armor lowest of the tech trees mle damage. The final would be the balanced force taking maybe not the best unit from each sub-faction but might be the starting point and most balanced force.

Mortals Humanoids that have come to the belief that the daemons are truly gods. These people could be members of the other factions drawn to the power the daemons. Alternatively it could be a new race of creatures that were once natural but evolved/mutated in a region where the border between the mortal realm and daemon realm was weakened. For inspiration the chaos forces of warhammer fantasy particularly Beastmen army. The forces would be driven to kill there enemy this would generate summoning points that would be a resource used to bring daemons into the mortal realm and sustain them for a time. The Mortal forces would make up the early game military forces i see them as high attack, above average speed, low defense. For moral the unit would have good combat stamina and actual moral would be odd as the faction would want to spill blood. The Mortals would be limited in ranged units maybe just some sort of thrown weapon, they could have a medium Calvary unit. The medium Calvary unit could be as fast as other races ranged Calvary and destroy ranged Calvary in mle. This medium Calvary could have throwing axes, medium armor, and hold its own for a short time against other factions heavy Calvary for a short time. The troops would charge without orders and if left idle for too long might fight among themselves. A Mortal Hero unit or magical musician might be able to keep them from infighting or charging without orders, but the more powerful the unit the harder it is to keep units in line. The magical musician could summon the Lowest level of daemon on to the battlefield at an increased cost, and have a option to be upgraded to summon the moderate level daemons onto the battlefield at a higher cost than the summoning structures. The Hero's could be made to focus on mle combat or magic. The Hero unit could summon the Lowest level of daemons on the battlefield at a slightly increased cost, Moderate Daemons at an increased, and High Daemons at a higher cost after an optional hero upgrade.

The Daemons would be summoned at specific summoning structures, unless these are summoned by a hero or magical musician unit. The daemons would need summoning resource that are generated by fighting or from a sacrificial structure. The daemons would continuously drain the summoning pool to remain in the mortal realm, if you are not generating enough points the daemons pop out of existence. There would be 4 levels of daemons Lowest, Moderate, High, and Exalted. The Lowest daemons could be imp like creatures maybe some ranged creatures that throw globs of daemonic energy. The Moderate daemons could make up shock troops big, fast, hard hitting, no armor forces that smash the enemy or are destroyed by combined fire from ranged attackers. Each sub factions shock troops would be specialized. The High Daemons would be creatures like the greater daemons from warhammer fantasy, or the Balrog from Lord of the Rings. The Exhaulted Daemons would the the titans on the battlefield extremely limited numbers possibly only one at a time. These creatures would requires the player to sacrifice something as part of the summoning of them. The sacrifice could be a High daemon that passes some of the powers it had to the Exhaulted daemon. The sacrifice could also be a mortal Hero that passes its customization skills on the Exhaulted, and because a mortal was sacrificed the Exhaulted might not be as big of a drain summoning resource. In addition since this game will have the ability save your forces and daemons would mostly likely not be saved in the army at least not the most powerful of the daemons. If the player sacrifices the Mortal hero to summon the Exhaulted daemon and that Exhaulted daemon survives the battle the player gets that Hero back as he/she was before the summoning, with a daemonic gift/curse a little bonus from surviving the transformation/game. This would also lessen the penalty a player might get if an opponent sees the summon and resigns believing he would deal a devastating blow to the daemons waiting for the player to sacrifice a powerful hero to summon the Exhaulted daemon then resigning for a Friend/guild mate to not have to deal with that hero.

Well thats all the time I have to post for this time I will be back to post my ideas on an angelic faction and devil faction later as well as any other ideas i have.

Puppeteer
06-29-2008, 02:00 PM
One focusing on mle with limited ranged and magic. A second based on pestilence, third based on deception, the fourth based on Magic with high armor lowest of the tech trees mle damage. The final would be the balanced force taking maybe not the best unit from each sub-faction but might be the starting point and most balanced force.
I was going to say that sounds awfully like the 4 daemon lords of the Chaost faction in Warhammer.

Anyway, I would say in the expansion to avoid spending to much time adding in more factions than there were originally, it would feasibly boil down to 2. Out of those, I'd say the contenders would be Dwarves, obviously, and then Dark Elves and Vikings. Because of the Dwarves, Vikings would be amiss. And unless you combined Dark Elves and the Undead, you're stuck fighting between those 2.

The Witch King of Angmar
06-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Or you could throw in some kind of merecenary group that starts out really weak but becomes powerful later on.

Tomas1297
07-08-2008, 01:33 PM
*cought* here i go :p

Race:Lizardmen

They would live in tropical regions.They would be small in numbers but elite.They are relatives to dragons.

Unit ideas:

Hero:
Name:Hand of Haes(Haes=god of the sun in lizardman mythology)
Stats:Slow and strong hits,slow movement,large amounts of health.
Abilityes:

1: Dragonbreath
Breathes fire but weaker than dragon

2:Word of Haes
Heals units if cast on allies and damages if cast on enemyes

3:Sunbeam
Launches a burning beam of sun.Stronger when day.stronger vs undead(if added)

Info:The Hand of Haes is the leader of lizardman tribes and empires.He is half lizard,half dragon.

Core units:

Name:Frogspawn
Stats:Low attack,low defense,high speed,large numbers.
Abilityes:None
Info:Frogspawn are half human,half frog and are the core of lizardman armyes.

Name:Frogspawn hunters
Stats:See Frogspawn
Abilityes:

1:Net
Temporarily stops an unit.Doesnt work on heroes,large objects,siege and dragons.

Info:Frogspawn armed with small crude bows and primitive stone arrows."Net" needs to be researched first.

Name:Combatants
Stats:Strong attack,low defense,high speed,low numbers,regenerates.
Info:Lizardmen warriors start theyre way as combatants,with weak armour and using spears.Good anti-cavalry

Name:Warriors of Shiren(Shiren=lizardman godess of the moon)
Stats:See Combatants
Abilityes:

1:Silence
Renders the target non-hero spellcaster unable to cast spells for 15 seconds

Info:Combatants after enough time of battles can choose to become Warriors of Shiren (Not ingme-this is only fluff).These cultists wear black cloaks and use twin ceremonial daggers as weapons.Bonus attack at night or vs spellcasters.

Heavy units

Name:Haes guardsmen
Stats:Low speed,high defense,slow,weak attack,regenerates,low numbers.
Abilityes:

1:Cleanse
+200 % attack for 6 seconds

Info:Combatants can choose to become Haes guardians after they fight enough(fluff).They are inquisitorial warrior-priests armed with heavy bronze and gold armour and equiped with strong iron scimitars and shields.

Name:Spawn of Haes
Stats:Normal defence,huge attack,slow movement,very low numbers.
Abilityes:

1.Charge
Runs at the enemy and strikes dealing 150% more than normal damage and stuning the target.

Info:Half man half comodo dragon.Wields heavy but very powerfull stone lances.

Ok il continue later
Cheers!:)

EDIT:Ok continueing:more heavy units

Name:Giant toad
Stats:Strong but slow attack,low speed,high swimming speed,high defence.
Abilityes:

1.Cannibalise
Eat a frogspawn to heal.

2.Camouflage
Becomes invisible.invisibility ends when moving.Only works ion tropical,jungle,or forest.

Info:Ug...A giant toad...

Mounts:

Name:Raptor
Stats:Very high speed,weak but fast bite attack,low hp,regenerates.
Abilityes:

1:Mountable
Err...Mountable...

Info:Raptors look like Velociraptors(dinosaur).

Spellcasters:

Name:Shirens sentinel
Stats:Low attack,low defense,medium speed,regenerates.
Abilityes:

1:Invisibility
Becomes invisible until attacks or moves to close to enemy unit.

2.Lock
Uses a magical key of Shiren to prevent the building from doing anything for 40 +(number of other Shirens sentinels around X2) seconds..

3.Curse
Target gets 50% more chance to miss, -10% defense and -50% attack.Curse lasts for 10 seconds

Info:Priests of shiren wearing long black,bronze trimed cloaks and armed with magical emeralds are weak but are the ultimate weapon when greatly timed.

to be continued ACA im tired...
EDIT:More spellcasters.

Name:Champion of Haes
Stats:Normal attack,higher than normal defense,low speed,regenerates,low numbers
Abilityes:

1:Smite
20% stronger than normal attack.Can be used often.

2:Summon raptor
Summons raptor which has 30% more attack and 20% more defense.

Info:The warrior priests of Haes called champions focus on both melee and magic making them a versatile force.They wear gold chainmail and wield bronze scimitars and wooden staves.

Strongest unit ACA secret weapon!

Name:Prophecy weapon
Stats:Very high defense,cant attack,cant move
Abilityes:

1:Prophecy
Creates a destructive,colorless(ACA black,gray and white) beam which leeches all life from the target location(Siege weapons,buildings,ultimate weapons like royal dragons and heroes survive).

Info:Sometimes the star of Shiren goes in a perfect line with Earth and the moon,shooting a colorless beam which leeches life from anything it touches.The rune circle known as the prophecy weapon focuses on that fact and with the strongest priests,can redirect the beam to the location of their enemyes.

Note:As you see this is a strategic weapon.

Edit:

Ranged support:

Name:Slayers
Stats:Weak but poisonous ranged attack,low defense,high speed,swims fast,regenerates.
info:The elite lizardmen archers.They use bronze scale armour and poison their arrows.20% more damage against drakes and royal dragons.

Name:Raiders
Stats:High defense,normal short ranged attack,low speed,low numbers.
info: Dragonic lizardmen which concentrate on their ability to breathe fire(main attack).20% more damage vs siege.40% more damage vs buildings.80% less damage vs dragons.

ash12181987
07-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Wildmen

High damage and hitpoints (or equivalent) group.

They would work either as a subrace to humans, or perhaps a fully seperate unit.

The race would likely consist of a pop cap falling between the elves and the humans (For balance), with cities that are incapable of being walled, yet either A.) Mobile somehow, or B.) Many small villages.

The race is that of men, who basically passed from the realms of civilization, inking out a living on the fringes of the world. At the mercy of the elements, and anything else that came along the weak went quickly, but the strong endured until they became something else, something other than the men they began as. Their customs seem rather uncivil, but all has a purpose.

As for units: They would pretty much be as I said, high damage, high hitpoints but no Armor or discipline. I thought perhaps something like a, berserk feature, so that when they got into a region they would abruptly charge. Making them rather hard to Micromanage, but they make up for it with their power. And yes, I said no armor.

Bread and butter unit of their army: Screal: No armor to begin, just a fugly little dirty guy with a club. Naturally that can blend into brush, with a stealthish feature... but they are expendable... to begin. Features to make them good=The ability to steal armor and equipment overtime, so that to grow stronger, they must do so by killing. They would hold No discipline though, just kind of like a pack of wild animals you loose on another group.

Heavy unit: Brute: A rather largish guy who wades in, energetically to cause widespread carnage. No armor again, but makes up for it with resilience to weaponry to an extent.

...I could go on.

Tomas1297
07-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Wildmen

High damage and hitpoints (or equivalent) group.

They would work either as a subrace to humans, or perhaps a fully seperate unit.

The race would likely consist of a pop cap falling between the elves and the humans (For balance), with cities that are incapable of being walled, yet either A.) Mobile somehow, or B.) Many small villages.

The race is that of men, who basically passed from the realms of civilization, inking out a living on the fringes of the world. At the mercy of the elements, and anything else that came along the weak went quickly, but the strong endured until they became something else, something other than the men they began as. Their customs seem rather uncivil, but all has a purpose.

As for units: They would pretty much be as I said, high damage, high hitpoints but no Armor or discipline. I thought perhaps something like a, berserk feature, so that when they got into a region they would abruptly charge. Making them rather hard to Micromanage, but they make up for it with their power. And yes, I said no armor.

Bread and butter unit of their army: Screal: No armor to begin, just a fugly little dirty guy with a club. Naturally that can blend into brush, with a stealthish feature... but they are expendable... to begin. Features to make them good=The ability to steal armor and equipment overtime, so that to grow stronger, they must do so by killing. They would hold No discipline though, just kind of like a pack of wild animals you loose on another group.

Heavy unit: Brute: A rather largish guy who wades in, energetically to cause widespread carnage. No armor again, but makes up for it with resilience to weaponry to an extent.

...I could go on.

Oh,yes please do :p

Also about my lizzy race as you see its a race for those who like to get EVERYTHING from your units until they die.

ash12181987
07-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Well then...

Ranged unit= Spear thrower: Rather heavy in terms of damage, the unit throws from an at-lotol (Sp check), but has rather limited range. It's abilities with a spear though, allow it to have a nominal hand to hand attack.

Magic: Shaman: from years of time in the woods, there has been a movement away from proper magical and religious ways, giving more credence to worship of the earth, Animalistic spirits, weather, sun, moon, ect. With these forms of magic, the shaman tends to lean more towards summoning of other animals to help him, or the manipulation of nature itself. Though little exists in terms of elemental manipulations.

Support: Drummer: With two big animal hide drums, the drummer typically beats out war tunes to inspire the men to attack. In battle though, they have the advantage of allowing control over berserk units for a short period of time. Passively though, they typically provide a moral boost to most everyone in their area.

Expensive heavy: Chosen of the sun: One of the members of the wildmen's warrior cult, these few chosen individuals act as the vanguard to the more powerful chieftans. Wearing the hides of animals they have killed and weilding weaponry created by their priests, these chosen few are a force, disciplined and devoted.

Tomas1297
07-09-2008, 02:16 AM
Yeah,i think wildmen should be a subrace of humans.:)
Also editing my post with more units.

Also this could be the mercenary starts-out-weak-and-ends-strong race.

Edit:Ok editing again.

Sketchie
07-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Wow, nothing as elaborate as some of the things posted above, but what about maybe having like a marauder city or something of the sort that starts out strong and you have to bribe them or they attack you, and you can also bribe them to attack enemy factions. Just a small thought....:rolleyes:

S

Tomas1297
07-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Wow, nothing as elaborate as some of the things posted above, but what about maybe having like a marauder city or something of the sort that starts out strong and you have to bribe them or they attack you, and you can also bribe them to attack enemy factions. Just a small thought....:rolleyes:

S

As in NPC's?Im bored so...

Bribeable NPC's

Bandits:

Easy to bribe and weak

Units:

Name:Thug
Stats:Low speed,medium attack,medium defence
Info:Wear plain clothes.Wield clubs.

Name:Murderer
Stats:normal speed,low defense,high attack
Info:Wear black clothes.Wield crossbows

Name:Bandit lord
Stats:Low speed,High defense,Normal attack
Info:Wears rusty chainmail and a leather helm.Has aura that increases the attack of all nearby bandits.

Army of the dead:

Hard to bribe and strong

Name:Vampire count
Stats:Normal hp,normal speed,very high attack
Abilityes:Invisibility
Info:Equiped with black iron plate armour and red robes.Wields a longsword and a ceremonial knife.

Name:Zombie
Stats:Low everything except numbers.
Info:Zombehs are comin to get ya!

To lazy to do more units and factions.
Also when somebody bribes them,the other player can give a bigger bribe so they will atack THE PLAYERS enemyes and become stronger.Then the bribe cost rises and the NPC's become stronger and stronger creating an economical war :D .

PS:Im not from the UK or USA,what does elaborate mean?

Loholt
07-11-2008, 09:31 AM
"To lazy to do more units and factions.
Also when somebody bribes them,the other player can give a bigger bribe so they will atack THE PLAYERS enemyes and become stronger.Then the bribe cost rises and the NPC's become stronger and stronger creating an economical war .

PS:Im not from the UK or USA,what does elaborate mean?"

I thought your idea is cool, to keep bribing the mercenaries so they change sides. And the more you bribe, the more expensive and strong they get.

But think with me, they're attacking your army, and in the middle of the crisis you just click them and bribe? Would sound cool, and would turn the tides of the battle, but I don't think I'd hire mercenaries if you could just do that.

But it's a n idea to work out I think.

Elaborate would be like, make plans.

Where are you from?

Tomas1297
07-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Im from Lithuania-a tiny little country in Europe :p

And also bribes would have a timer so you cant bribe to often.

Sketchie
07-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah this idea worked really well in a game called Sins of a Solar Empire where there were pirates every new map which would be too strong to kill at first so you have to deal with them or they constantly attack you. Elaborate means to make plans or discuss further, or at least from what I remember, I am also a English as a second language person so I could be wrong =)

S

Tomas1297
07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Ok i was thinking of the demon race.They should be zergy but with strong,non-zergish units in the late game.Also i was thinking they should have a gate building which is only accesable to daemons because only they mastered the arts of chaos and destruction so much that they wouldnt get lost in other dimentions.They would be summonable by spellcasters so you could make a way from your barracks to the enemys base to make never-ending swarms of daemons(with a cost of large amounts of resources that is).Gates would be easy to destroy so they wouldnt be to powerfull.Tomorrow(In my time) ill make a list of units.

~Tomas the detailed unit and race suggestion giver :p

Puppeteer
07-12-2008, 04:32 AM
gold armour
Don't use gold as armour, perhaps gold-plate over something else as ceremonial but gold is too weak to be used as armour. Even in ancient times they recognised this.

Tomas1297
07-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Don't use gold as armour, perhaps gold-plate over something else as ceremonial but gold is too weak to be used as armour. Even in ancient times they recognised this.

*cought cought*Lizardmen are bad at metalworking and gold is easyer to craft.Iron weapons are rare and highly valuable amongst lizardmen.

Also as i sayd the demon race

Hero:

Name:Summoner
Stats:normal speed,low magic ranged attack,normal defense.
Abilityes:

1:Gate
Creates two gates(That i mentioned earlyer).Only two gates can be at the map.If you cast this while there already are two gates,this spell destroys both gates.

2:Silence
The target spellcaster cant cast spells for 1 minute.

3:Banish
Destroys or wounds all summoned creatures,undead and constructs in a small area.

Info:The leaders of daemon armies are half-demonic summoners who can throw daemon fire at large distances.

To lazy :( cant do more :(

ash12181987
07-12-2008, 11:43 AM
If their bad at metalworking, I would think copper would be more workable to them, still, than gold would be. With gold, you still have to heat it like you do iron, in order to mold it. Copper, conversely, you can hammer into plates and shape. Thats why copper was the first metal Used by ancient civilizations.

nickson104
07-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I know im new and probably ignorant of what has already been decided and suggested but perhaps make less obvious fantasy races? i mean every other game you play theres a dwarf or elf in, i like dark elves though mysterious but majestic and very refined however i prefer not to think of them as evil.

I see things in a different concept to most and i dont see the line between good and evil, in most of the 'evil' races in games and stories their actions arent condemning enough to be classed as evil. The same with many 'good' races, theres not much to show what they are doing is righteous. Most games rely on these cliche's too much and i would like to see a race that doesnt rely on these so much.

The dwarves as a race, it will work yes but they are incorporated in so many things that i personally wouldnt like to see them. However the viking idea sounds really really good and works along similar lines to dwarves yet it isnt....

Lizardmen are a bit hard to incorporate but are a race i rever :) i love lizardmen and they would be a good race to play as, and theres the fact that their rarely seen in games yet they arent completely made up

The spirit/etheral force sounds really cool but perhaps a bit difficult to play as... Wait let me rephrase that, it will take a different style, which is good but it will take a very attentive person to use, if it works as it was initially described then it seems very mana intensive and will take a lot of managing... it seems an unpredictable, unstable economy... which could add a lot to the game but could also backfire

If i had to choose 2 races to add to the game it would be the dark elves and the vikings/lizardmen (etheral forces sound awesome, but i'm not attentive enough for such an unstable economy, i prefer a smooth economy)

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 06:34 AM
*cought* here i go :p

Race:Lizardmen

They would live in tropical regions.They would be small in numbers but elite.They are relatives to dragons.

Unit ideas:

Hero:
Name:Hand of Haes(Haes=god of the sun in lizardman mythology)
Stats:Slow and strong hits,slow movement,large amounts of health.
Abilityes:

1: Dragonbreath
Breathes fire but weaker than dragon

2:Word of Haes
Heals units if cast on allies and damages if cast on enemyes

3:Sunbeam
Launches a burning beam of sun.Stronger when day.stronger vs undead(if added)

Info:The Hand of Haes is the leader of lizardman tribes and empires.He is half lizard,half dragon.

Core units:

Name:Frogspawn
Stats:Low attack,low defense,high speed,large numbers.
Info:Frogspawn are half human,half frog and are the core of lizardman armyes.

Name:Frogspawn hunters
Stats:See Frogspawn
Abilityes:

1:Net
Temporarily stops an unit.Doesnt work on heroes,large objects,siege and dragons.

Info:Frogspawn armed with small crude bows and primitive stone arrows."Net" needs to be researched first.

Name:Combatants
Stats:Strong attack,low defense,high speed,low numbers,regenerates.
Info:Lizardmen warriors start theyre way as combatants,with weak armour and using spears.Good anti-cavalry

Name:Warriors of Shiren(Shiren=lizardman godess of the moon)
Stats:See Combatants
Abilityes:

1:Silence
Renders the target non-hero spellcaster unable to cast spells for 15 seconds

Info:Combatants after enough time of battles can choose to become Warriors of Shiren (Not ingame-this is only fluff).These cultists wear black cloaks and use twin ceremonial daggers as weapons.Bonus attack at night or vs spellcasters.

Heavy units

Name:Haes guardsmen
Stats:Low speed,high defense,slow,weak attack,regenerates,low numbers.
Abilityes:

1:Cleanse
+200 % attack for 6 seconds

Info:Combatants can choose to become Haes guardians after they fight enough(fluff).They are inquisitorial warrior-priests armed with heavy bronze and gold armour and equiped with strong iron scimitars and shields.

Name:Spawn of Haes
Stats:Normal defence,huge attack,slow movement,very low numbers.
Abilityes:

1.Charge
Runs at the enemy and strikes dealing 150% more than normal damage and stuning the target.

Info:Half man half comodo dragon.Wields heavy but very powerfull stone lances.

Ok il continue later
Cheers!:)

EDIT:Ok continueing:more heavy units

Name:Giant toad
Stats:Strong but slow attack,low speed,high swimming speed,high defence.
Abilityes:

1.Cannibalise
Eat a frogspawn to heal.

2.Camouflage
Becomes invisible.invisibility ends when moving.Only works ion tropical,jungle,or forest.

Info:Ug...A giant toad...

Mounts:

Name:Raptor
Stats:Very high speed,weak but fast bite attack,low hp,regenerates.
Abilityes:

1:Mountable
Err...Mountable...

Info:Raptors look like Velociraptors(dinosaur).

Spellcasters:

Name:Shirens sentinel
Stats:Low attack,low defense,medium speed,regenerates.
Abilityes:

1:Invisibility
Becomes invisible until attacks or moves to close to enemy unit.

2.Lock
Uses a magical key of Shiren to prevent the building from doing anything for 40 +(number of other Shirens sentinels around X2) seconds..

3.Curse
Target gets 50% more chance to miss, -10% defense and -50% attack.Curse lasts for 10 seconds

Info:Priests of shiren wearing long black,bronze trimed cloaks and armed with magical emeralds are weak but are the ultimate weapon when greatly timed.

to be continued ACA im tired...
EDIT:More spellcasters.

Name:Champion of Haes
Stats:Normal attack,higher than normal defense,low speed,regenerates,low numbers
Abilityes:

1:Smite
20% stronger than normal attack.Can be used often.

2:Summon raptor
Summons raptor which has 30% more attack and 20% more defense.

Info:The warrior priests of Haes called champions focus on both melee and magic making them a versatile force.They wear gold chainmail and wield bronze scimitars and wooden staves.

Strongest unit ACA secret weapon!

Name:Prophecy weapon
Stats:Very high defense,cant attack,cant move
Abilityes:

1:Prophecy
Creates a destructive,colorless(ACA black,gray and white) beam which leeches all life from the target location(Siege weapons,buildings,ultimate weapons like royal dragons and heroes survive).

Info:Sometimes the star of Shiren goes in a perfect line with Earth and the moon,shooting a colorless beam which leeches life from anything it touches.The rune circle known as the prophecy weapon focuses on that fact and with the strongest priests,can redirect the beam to the location of their enemyes.

Note:As you see this is a strategic weapon.

Edit:

Ranged support:

Name:Slayers
Stats:Weak but poisonous ranged attack,low defense,high speed,swims fast,regenerates.
info:The elite lizardmen archers.They use bronze scale armour and poison their arrows.20% more damage against drakes and royal dragons.

Name:Raiders
Stats:High defense,normal short ranged attack,low speed,low numbers.
info: Dragonic lizardmen which concentrate on their ability to breathe fire(main attack).20% more damage vs siege.40% more damage vs buildings.80% less damage vs dragons.

TECH TREE!Red=Units,Blue=buildings,green=research

Hall of ancestors
Trains:Frogspawn gatherers(building,gathering units),Hand of Haes
Hand of Haes requirements-Pond or Barracks

Pond
Trains-Frogspawn,Frogspawn hunters,Spawn of Haes,Giant Toad.
Spawn of Haes requirements:Tier 2 Hall of ancestors,Temple
Giant toad requirements:Tier 3 Hall of ancestors

Barracks
Trains-Combatants,Raiders,Slayers
Slayers requirements:Pond
Raiders,requirements:Pond and tier 3 Hall of ancestors

Troglodyte laboratory
Requirements:Pond
Trains:Raptors.
Researches:Advanced construction(quicker building),Net,Medicine(All units have more HP),Medicine tier 2,Medicine tier 3.

Medicine tier 2 requirements:Medicine
Medicine tier 3 requirements:tier 2 Hall of ancestors,Medicine tier 2.

Ill continue later...

nickson104
07-13-2008, 10:39 AM
lol your really taking that race really seriously... but i fail to see how lizardmen and frogs are related... frog = amphibian, lizard = reptile
and you seem guaranteed that there is going to be a god named haes, as far as i have seen religion is a black area and is generally avoided... so to insert a god and make a whole race dependent on that god's existence... well maybe not a good idea, i dont know maybe im wrong

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 11:12 AM
lol your really taking that race really seriously... but i fail to see how lizardmen and frogs are related... frog = amphibian, lizard = reptile
and you seem guaranteed that there is going to be a god named haes, as far as i have seen religion is a black area and is generally avoided... so to insert a god and make a whole race dependent on that god's existence... well maybe not a good idea, i dont know maybe im wrong

1:Welcome to the uber forums ;)
2:Im not taking it seriuosly...
3:Amphibians are reptiles with swimming ability which need both air and water(i think :confused: ).Besides frogs and lizardmen are related in many games.
4:Im bad at making names...
5;So what i like religiuosly driven races!(Space marines,tau empire,eldar forevuh!)

nickson104
07-13-2008, 11:19 AM
1:Welcome to the uber forums ;)
2:Im not taking it seriuosly...
3:Amphibians are reptiles with swimming ability which need both air and water(i think :confused: ).Besides frogs and lizardmen are related in many games.
4:Im bad at making names...
5;So what i like religiuosly driven races!(Space marines,tau empire,eldar forevuh!)

eldar own :) I cant remember space marines being religiously driven? hmmm *ponders*

I didnt mean seriously seriously if that even makes sense lol, yeah i realised after i posted it that they are related in many games but yeah amphibians can live on land and but have gils? no thats not right lol ummm they need water to survive no that doesnt sound right either because so do we... reptiles have dry scales whereas amphibians are soft and slimy scales. both lay eggs and thats all i can tell

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 11:23 AM
eldar own :) I cant remember space marines being religiously driven? hmmm *ponders*

I didnt mean seriously seriously if that even makes sense lol, yeah i realised after i posted it that they are related in many games but yeah amphibians can live on land and but have gils? no thats not right lol ummm they need water to survive no that doesnt sound right either because so do we... reptiles have dry scales whereas amphibians are soft and slimy scales. both lay eggs and thats all i can tell

By the emperor!Theyre not religiuosly driven?!Nonsense!(PS:Wow an eldar fan i thought im the last one :p )

And umm about the other post "religion is a black area blah blah blah" what's your point?

nickson104
07-13-2008, 11:33 AM
By the emperor!Theyre not religiuosly driven?!Nonsense!(PS:Wow an eldar fan i thought im the last one :p )

And umm about the other post "religion is a black area blah blah blah" what's your point?

Fine the emperor is now some godlike creature :p lol yeah okay you can class them as religious fanatics then if you wish although half their force is machines :p

And it is a black area, its not talked about much and when it is its awkward and avoided kind of, to be honest a game doesnt need it and putting religion into a game might have consequences

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Fine the emperor is now some godlike creature :p lol yeah okay you can class them as religious fanatics then if you wish although half their force is machines :p

And it is a black area, its not talked about much and when it is its awkward and avoided kind of, to be honest a game doesnt need it and putting religion into a game might have consequences

Um you should read some space marine fluff...Also all Dawn of war races are religiuos (Except orks) But it doesnt have consequences....And give me an example of a game where religion has consequences...

nickson104
07-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Um you should read some space marine fluff...Also all Dawn of war races are religiuos (Except orks) But it doesnt have consequences....And give me an example of a game where religion has consequences...

Ummm i cant think of one at the moment but im sure i could if i had time, anyway say they include religion and someone is offended by it... then reverie would have trouble on their hands even possibly a lawsuit or fine...
That is why many games try to avoid religion as then there is no way of insulting anyones beliefs.

And yeah im not much of a DoW fan, i ahve the game but i rarely play it, its got guns and such so i dont really like it. And to be honest theres no economy management and its too fast paced, i prefer a bit more of a laidback start to the game and build your way up not instantaneous, go cap fight

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Ummm i cant think of one at the moment but im sure i could if i had time, anyway say they include religion and someone is offended by it... then reverie would have trouble on their hands even possibly a lawsuit or fine...
That is why many games try to avoid religion as then there is no way of insulting anyones beliefs.

And yeah im not much of a DoW fan, i ahve the game but i rarely play it, its got guns and such so i dont really like it. And to be honest theres no economy management and its too fast paced, i prefer a bit more of a laidback start to the game and build your way up not instantaneous, go cap fight

Why do you hate guns?And i like fast paced games...And the sync kills are awsome...I wonder if we can have sync kills in DoF?

nickson104
07-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Guns are post medieval and medieval is my favourite period, gunpowder killed medieval weaponry and so im not happy :( plus its all ranged so and annoys me

I'm okay with fast paced games, but i also like the long drawn out ones where there are many standoffs and stalemates, some retreats and sieges :) it just makes it so dramatic and when you win you have a sense of achievement or when you lose you accept it knowing you fought your heart out

what is a synchronised kill in DoW? lol never heard of a sync kill...

Anyway i think we are getting offtopic now...

Can you ally and join forces in big standoffs? for example a guild or clan battle, 4 vs 4 for example. If so a mystical race would be good :)

A mystical race that has been imbued with magic itself, they dont use it they are it. They range from spellcasters to healers. They also use the fallen to augment their forces, the fallen rise and are imbued with a minor amount of magic and equipped with bright amour and weaponry

i could try to devise some units if people are interested :)

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Guns are post medieval and medieval is my favourite period, gunpowder killed medieval weaponry and so im not happy :( plus its all ranged so and annoys me

I'm okay with fast paced games, but i also like the long drawn out ones where there are many standoffs and stalemates, some retreats and sieges :) it just makes it so dramatic and when you win you have a sense of achievement or when you lose you accept it knowing you fought your heart out

what is a synchronised kill in DoW? lol never heard of a sync kill...

Anyway i think we are getting offtopic now...

Can you ally and join forces in big standoffs? for example a guild or clan battle, 4 vs 4 for example. If so a mystical race would be good :)

A mystical race that has been imbued with magic itself, they dont use it they are it. They range from spellcasters to healers. They also use the fallen to augment their forces, the fallen rise and are imbued with a minor amount of magic and equipped with bright amour and weaponry

i could try to devise some units if people are interested :)

I like DoW because its fluff-full.And sync kills are stuff in Dow like finishing moves like sliting someone throat.

Also a mystical race?Hmmmm elves are mystical...I cant understand what do you mean by that...Mystical as in mysteriuos?Mystical unknown creatures?Mystical cults?

nickson104
07-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I like DoW because its fluff-full.And sync kills are stuff in Dow like finishing moves like sliting someone throat.

Also a mystical race?Hmmmm elves are mystical...I cant understand what do you mean by that...Mystical as in mysteriuos?Mystical unknown creatures?Mystical cults?

Yeah finishing moves were good :)

Okay maybe i didn't explain that right, in other words their beings of magic and i couldnt think of another way to describe it. Their unnatural (unlike elves) and shouldnt really be there, they are neither good nor bad and follow their own sense of morality to assess situations. This leads to many conflicts between these peoples and is one of the reasons why they are so few in numbers. They are immortal as they are magic and magic has always been there and always will be, they can take on forms but often choose not to.
Most of these beings are lesser beings and are generally elementals however sometimes a being of true magic comes into being and they wield their magic devastatingly.

hmmm i like my little description :)

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Hmmm some kind of elementals,spirits,Tzeentch flames?Interesting*scratches beard and then realises he doesnt have one*.Tell me more lol.

nickson104
07-13-2008, 12:14 PM
hehe :)

All of that description and i moved away from the point of them having healers :)

Okay, as they are beings of magic they are obviously more inclined to use magic than the other races and use it to a better extent. They live their lives in mystery, they have no feeling but do what they think will help the land flourish, this also means that they may be a friend of yours for now but theres no telling if they may turn.

Ummm think of some units :) i will just make up some units for classes no health or specs or anything :)

Stone elemental: Heavy melee unit
Fire elemental: Minor Spellcaster unit

'Imbued' Warriors: Light melee unit
'Imbued' Archers: Ranged unit

Imbued healer: Medic unit
spec 1: 'resurrect' 1 unit in area (increases by level)
spec 2: 'remove condition' removes conditions such as poison from units in area
aura: units in area gradually heal over time

any other suggestions?

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Um im bored(and lonely*ashamed eyes*) so il think of some units.But i cant.I still dont get it...Elementals,imbued infantry w00t?

nickson104
07-13-2008, 12:26 PM
I dont know im bored too and still half asleep although its half 6 in the evening lol

im just saying its a race of magic, both holy and normal

imbued just means they have been given magic and it is now inside them

And once again i say the viking race is the best idea yet :) or the minotaurs :) *gets the image of a group of minotaurs pounding an orc again*
Dark elves also good but their more common, still awesome though :) they totally own the light elves, racist elven folk :p

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Dark elves :rolleyes: since i got neverwinter nights i became a fan of them...Then i forgot them...Then i saw http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkelves/miniature-gallery/10/ and became a fan of THIS kind of dark elves :rolleyes:
I TOTTALY VOTE FOR DARK ELVES!!
*starts using his epicly leet drawing skills to draw that type of dark elves*

nickson104
07-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Dark elves :rolleyes: since i got neverwinter nights i became a fan of them...Then i forgot them...Then i saw http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkelves/miniature-gallery/10/ and became a fan of THIS kind of dark elves :rolleyes:
I TOTTALY VOTE FOR DARK ELVES!!
*starts using his epicly leet drawing skills to draw that type of dark elves*

Dark elves arent evil, their just misunderstood.
Its all the light elves fault see, the light elves hate all races that do not abide by their rules or have a religion. The light elves were disgusted by the dark elves and brutally attacked them, alone it would have been a stalemate as both races were equal, but the light elves brought with them their allies the inferior humans and the mountain dwarves. The dark elves saw the opposing army approaching and sneaked away through the shadows of the forest. It is not known how many there are or if they still exist, all that the known world knows about them is their evil and their saviours the light elves had fought a great battle against them.

a good narrative i think :)

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 12:38 PM
My drawing failed :( that must be because of my high self-critique :p
Anyways yeah theyre misunderstood(like meh lol).But in some mythlogys like Dungeons and dragons or warhammer ( :rolleyes: ) theyre evil.Warhammer atleast has a good reason for them to be evil.

nickson104
07-13-2008, 12:42 PM
In most stories their evil, but in the vast majority of them this isnt expressed very well or given proof or reasons. I have also seen a few stories where the Dark elves are good :) its quite a fun spin to it...

Has anyone read Eragon or Eldest? If so theres an awesome fanfiction story called from white to black by opifex (KJ Taylor) and it puts galbatorix as the hero and its truly amazing... and hes a good dark elf :)

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 12:47 PM
My spider sense is tingling!Ive got the idea of the mysticc faction!

A circle of mages who look like a mix of liche priests http://uk.games-workshop.com/tombkings/miniature-gallery/5/ , black guard of whatever http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkelves/miniature-gallery/16/ and chaos sorceror http://uk.games-workshop.com/darkelves/miniature-gallery/16/ (or http://uk.games-workshop.com/chaosspacemarines/miniature-gallery/32/ ).
theyre core units should be souls sealed within armour.
What do you think?

nickson104
07-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Hmmm your a lot better at this than me lol :) ah well lol

either way it dont really matter because we dont even know if there will be an expansion yet... at least not until we know if it flops or not

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Hmmmm the mages could be somhing like the warhammer mythology mages of different cyrcles...Ahhh my brain(and fingers) is exploding XD's
k im gonna draw a mage of that type since im bored.

nickson104
07-13-2008, 01:00 PM
You carry on inventing :) im going to go try and find a free MMO to play (i will probably end up back on guild wars again though :()

Tomas1297
07-13-2008, 01:03 PM
You carry on inventing :) im going to go try and find a free MMO to play (i will probably end up back on guild wars again though :()

Yeah try a MMO.Tip: Dont try ballerium!

EDIT:k i finished drawing.It looks like a necromancer-chaos sorceror-battle mage.

Puppeteer
07-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Oh, you two stop posting so much! Jeez it's bad when 2 members are on at the same time... and I didn't really get much from that all either.

*cought cought*Lizardmen are bad at metalworking and gold is easyer to craft.Iron weapons are rare and highly valuable amongst lizardmen.

Says who? Gold would be either a valuable commodity, and therefore only used as ceremonial, or would be common as is taken in Warhammer and then they would realise it's ornamental and aesthetic value, but that it was too weak for armour. I'm sure that they would have some sort of Obsidian to use anyway.

I think that Reverie should stay away from the black & white area of Good and Bad. This game could be unique, in recognising that no race is Good because their sole intentions are selfish and self-centred. They all want to further they own races, which is often at the expense of the other races as they are mutually exclusive. Even the 2 factions thought to be Good, Men and Elves, have conflicts. As is with Orcs and Dragons. That is why I think there should be no Light/Dark allignment of any faction. Spell Casters can choose to follow Death or Life, but no faction should be considered Evil or Good. Some factions may have some noble intentions, but then taint this with bad deeds. Eg. Elves in Lord of the Rings, you'd take to be good, but the Noldor committed the first kin-slaying and so therefore were they that Good? Certainly not...
What I'm trying to get at is that Reverie should now not limit themselves to say, in an expansion, make a grand total of 3 Good Factions and 3 Evil ones. It's not necessary, and that all Factions should be considered neither. It would allow for better, more creative ideas.

nickson104
07-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Oh, you two stop posting so much! Jeez it's bad when 2 members are on at the same time... and I didn't really get much from that all either.

Says who? Gold would be either a valuable commodity, and therefore only used as ceremonial, or would be common as is taken in Warhammer and then they would realise it's ornamental and aesthetic value, but that it was too weak for armour. I'm sure that they would have some sort of Obsidian to use anyway.

I think that Reverie should stay away from the black & white area of Good and Bad. This game could be unique, in recognising that no race is Good because their sole intentions are selfish and self-centred. They all want to further they own races, which is often at the expense of the other races as they are mutually exclusive. Even the 2 factions thought to be Good, Men and Elves, have conflicts. As is with Orcs and Dragons. That is why I think there should be no Light/Dark allignment of any faction. Spell Casters can choose to follow Death or Life, but no faction should be considered Evil or Good. Some factions may have some noble intentions, but then taint this with bad deeds. Eg. Elves in Lord of the Rings, you'd take to be good, but the Noldor committed the first kin-slaying and so therefore were they that Good? Certainly not...
What I'm trying to get at is that Reverie should now not limit themselves to say, in an expansion, make a grand total of 3 Good Factions and 3 Evil ones. It's not necessary, and that all Factions should be considered neither. It would allow for better, more creative ideas.

My point exactly :) good and evil does not exist! its just a persons perception of it, nothing is truly black or white unless your really narrow minded, even the best of people have some dark deeds or thoughts at least so no-one is truly evil or good

Joseph Visscher
07-13-2008, 03:08 PM
My point exactly :) good and evil does not exist! its just a persons perception of it, nothing is truly black or white unless your really narrow minded, even the best of people have some dark deeds or thoughts at least so no-one is truly evil or good

Humanity’s perception of good and evil is to relative to distinguish between the two since both are corrupted by greed, lust, and religion of this world. It does not mean that there is not a divinity of good out there; just for the masses of people they can not see it when they are shrouded by other things of this world.

About the good and evil in dof, I can not say much at this time; one thing I will say is that I would not expect Orcs to be cute, cuddly, and polite.

nickson104
07-13-2008, 04:05 PM
ahahaha *has image of orc trying to use puppydog eyes*

A well rehearsed arguement joseph :p its too good for me to continue, i just refuse to see dark elves as evil :) they may be corrupt, they may use death magic, they may have bad aspects but im not gonna change my mind :)

Puppeteer
07-14-2008, 11:08 AM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame was by no means cute or cuddly, but polite nonetheless with a good heart and noble deeds. Beauty is skin deep

nickson104
07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame was by no means cute or cuddly, but polite nonetheless with a good heart and noble deeds. Beauty is skin deep

A very good interpretation Puppeteer. cogratulations you get an A.
I agree totally... but are we not going off the topic a little? :)

ash12181987
07-15-2008, 07:22 AM
What was the topic again?

Sketchie
07-15-2008, 11:52 AM
lol This was the official post for new races to be added to the game thread.

S

The Witch King of Angmar
07-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah, back on topic you guys, if you please.

nickson104
07-16-2008, 07:29 AM
I still reckon the Viking race/Minotaurs and D Elves :)

D Elves ftw! :) i would so love reverie if they included them :)

aVeron
07-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Something that I would like to see in the feature of this game is dwarfs and more human races, sutch as middle eastern people and northmen maybe..

Even thought i dont know much about the current factions, i would really like to see heavy armored soldiers in the human faction.:)

Puppeteer
07-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Living Things is species of the Undead, albeit, a very rare one :p lol

MorgaN
07-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Im new but I like RTS very much.
Arent people going for a good bad idea too much, cant their just be factions that dislike eachother.
Bring in some sub races for each race like two contries that opose each other for humans, "Dark elves" or just elves that were exiled for thirst of knowledge, lesser Dragon race that is more dumb but less large and more like "lizard men" without the frogs :p
Given that i really like the idea of dwarves, vikings and zombies:rolleyes:

I hope I can persuade you not to think black and white...:D

ash12181987
07-17-2008, 11:03 AM
What about, in terms of the undead group, starting out with just a few necromancers? You build your army up over time like that?

Puppeteer
07-20-2008, 12:47 PM
I love the idea Tolkein gave about Dark Elves: Either read the books, or visit Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moriquendi)

wou129
07-20-2008, 03:33 PM
that are yust normel elfs but of a lower rank becose thay havent been at the holyest plase of elfs (in the books of tolkein then and sory fore the bad englich )

Sharku
07-20-2008, 05:06 PM
I like the idea of a Minotaur or Centaur race that is completely nomadic with all their buildings being move able and spawning their own guards. I could see this as being a really challenging faction to master with hit and run tactics and keeping your town one step ahead of your enemies army. Later in the game they could have an upgrade to their main "town hall" to make it permanent (unless someone knocks it down o_0) and they can quickly set up the rest of their town around it. I can see some issues though with resources (mainly food) with a nomadic faction, but these guys should have a boost to hunting and gathering, and still be able to plant farms that they can come back to later if they are forced to move (good ambush strategy there).

Another race I would like would be a very religious race, drawing it's influence from the Aztecs or Maya of our world. This architecture would be really cool, and I'm kind of torn between a Reptile, Feline, or Avian race for this culture. They would either be reliant on an assortment of beasts of war (I think Orcs may have this down already, and if not them then the Barbarians would) or have some very advanced weaponry to supplement their troops.

I also really like the idea of the Barbarian faction. Polar Bear cavalry would be awesome. :-P I also agree that a true fantasy world cannot be complete without Dwarves and Dark Elves. As for Gnomes and Haflings, I could live without them, though if they were added I would vote they be a sub-faction of the Dwarves.

nickson104
07-20-2008, 05:35 PM
I like the idea of a Minotaur or Centaur race that is completely nomadic with all their buildings being move able and spawning their own guards. I could see this as being a really challenging faction to master with hit and run tactics and keeping your town one step ahead of your enemies army. Later in the game they could have an upgrade to their main "town hall" to make it permanent (unless someone knocks it down o_0) and they can quickly set up the rest of their town around it. I can see some issues though with resources (mainly food) with a nomadic faction, but these guys should have a boost to hunting and gathering, and still be able to plant farms that they can come back to later if they are forced to move (good ambush strategy there).

Another race I would like would be a very religious race, drawing it's influence from the Aztecs or Maya of our world. This architecture would be really cool, and I'm kind of torn between a Reptile, Feline, or Avian race for this culture. They would either be reliant on an assortment of beasts of war (I think Orcs may have this down already, and if not them then the Barbarians would) or have some very advanced weaponry to supplement their troops.

I also really like the idea of the Barbarian faction. Polar Bear cavalry would be awesome. :-P I also agree that a true fantasy world cannot be complete without Dwarves and Dark Elves. As for Gnomes and Haflings, I could live without them, though if they were added I would vote they be a sub-faction of the Dwarves.

:o feline race!!! :) how purrfect :)

polar bear cavalry sound awesome *thumbs up*

I kind of agree with you, it wouldnt be right without dwarves but even if they were included i wouldnt go them, i just detest them so much lol

Sharku
07-20-2008, 05:39 PM
:o feline race!!! :) how purrfect :)

polar bear cavalry sound awesome *thumbs up*

I kind of agree with you, it wouldnt be right without dwarves but even if they were included i wouldnt go them, i just detest them so much lolThen trap those suckers and bring their mountains down on their hairy heads!

nickson104
07-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Then trap those suckers and bring their mountains down on their hairy heads!

Yay i shall use the power of the royal dragon to bring a giant avalanche on their puny heads

The Witch King of Angmar
07-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Huzzah! I can't wait to see how many dragons there actually are for the Dragon faction.

Puppeteer
07-21-2008, 04:25 PM
The Dark Elves were not lower in rank, more of "unlearned" in the Elves subjective view. In the Dark Elves, they wanted freedom (from my interpretation). It's a very interesting and innovative concept, rather than thinking of them as say Tolkein's Noldor by either moving to dark arts, or, in the Noldor's case, committing a kinslaying. In which case the Teleri were High Elves.

Esculas the Mighty
07-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Yay i shall use the power of the royal dragon to bring a giant avalanche on their puny heads

i like dwarves :( ill destory you before u even make your first ''click''

wou129
07-22-2008, 04:15 AM
the only way to do that is to cheat and to type realy fast

Esculas the Mighty
07-22-2008, 10:08 AM
the only way to do that is to cheat and to type realy fast

yea lol its totally a joke/dramatization

i dunno tho i think theres enough elves wood and high
dwarves only seem to be a reasonable add

Mrdash
07-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I seriously am getting tired of dwarvess myself. If they make them awsome thats another story...but still....bring something in that hasnt really been used alot...I like that minotaur idea=D

Esculas the Mighty
07-22-2008, 07:05 PM
I seriously am getting tired of dwarvess myself. If they make them awsome thats another story...but still....bring something in that hasnt really been used alot...I like that minotaur idea=D

there basically tauren from WoW
cause when i think minotaur i think just like orcs

maybe something new anyone know anubis...
wouldnt a race of anubite be :eek:

Puppeteer
07-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Limiting. Very limiting, a Jackal faction. Not much you could do...

Mrdash
07-23-2008, 04:39 PM
You coud always make something up. =D

ash12181987
07-23-2008, 06:45 PM
I know of a couple fantasy games that played with a Anubite/tigran race as one of the usual suspects. They were rather non-descript as a whole.

And as for dogs fighting... I mean, maybe some kind of pack bonus or something? Other than that, I agree with Pupeteer, rather limited.

Esculas the Mighty
07-23-2008, 07:13 PM
I know of a couple fantasy games that played with a Anubite/tigran race as one of the usual suspects. They were rather non-descript as a whole.

And as for dogs fighting... I mean, maybe some kind of pack bonus or something? Other than that, I agree with Pupeteer, rather limited.

0.o dwarves and elves and orcs are entirely made up why cant anubite be? we looking for original not one of these ''hey man those guys did it lets do a lil bit of changes and call it innovative''

ash12181987
07-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Well then, Innovate and come up with something.

Puppeteer
07-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Elves are either made out to be celestial High Elves, and so great wielders of the arcane. Lots of ideas there. Wood Elves live in mystical uncharted forests. Lots of ideas there.
Jackals = in deserts? In which case adding in scorpions, wyrms and things are not really an Anubite faction.

Esculas the Mighty
07-24-2008, 06:32 PM
why should i the idea has already but slamed down =\
but its the same way i feel about undead completly useless but i guess if thats your style go for it

Mrdash
07-24-2008, 09:02 PM
No way I would chose undead over dwarves any day. undead seems like it would be cool. I like the idea of spawning a big mass (but weak) of them.

"Hold still so I can infect you!!!"

=D

The Witch King of Angmar
07-24-2008, 09:05 PM
I'd still like dwarves better myself. I love to build up large, fortified strongholds.

Mrdash
07-24-2008, 09:31 PM
I guess that would be cool too. =D

ash12181987
07-24-2008, 09:56 PM
I wondered why there isn't a Necromancer faction in any games. You start out with a necromancer (Singular) maybe a tower... and over time you build your forces, literally. Summoning a couple of guys temporarily can be done easily, but to maintain an army you need something to form a persistent crystal or something that can maintain the flow of necromanical energy.

Overtime you can also gradually get more and more powerful undead; as well as, more followers to allow you to summon more and more undead at a time.

Maybe in terms of magic you could even have a number of spell choices that were offensive, or something even like a zombie plague spell that plants a seed zombie who starts in an enemy city, gradually over time getting more and more zombies, easy to stop and control, but gradually more and more inconvenient.

Esculas the Mighty
07-24-2008, 10:16 PM
undead have blown at every aspect to me if they implement them im going human then im going on a undead crusade

dwarves FTW

Mrdash
07-25-2008, 12:20 AM
I dont know if you have noticed but we humans are the people enhabiting this world now.
Elves, in hiding.
Undead....haunting your nightmares (and ocasionaly infecting your cousin). Dragons, flew through a portal to another dimension.
And your precious Dwarves?....extinct.

Its that simple. =D

Puppeteer
07-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Dwarves were turned into Gnomes, lifeless statues :p
I think it would be a cool idea for instead of using say houses to boost the command unit limit of the Undead, instead to have Necromancers provide the unit limit. They are medium-strong spellcasters, not your personal spellcasters, who increase the limit you can have on undead units. You can recruit Dark Humans, Dark Elves etc. who are unaffected in this, but the Undead require the animation energy of their masters.

Neotyguy40
07-25-2008, 03:52 PM
I would like to see wyrms in the dragon race.

Mrdash
07-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Arnt whyrms those undead dragon things?

The Witch King of Angmar
07-25-2008, 05:07 PM
No, I think they are basically like dragons without wings that live in the ground and breathe fire.

Mrdash
07-25-2008, 05:16 PM
I see...what am I thinking of....*goes into deep thought*

iceblast
07-25-2008, 06:25 PM
i jsut wand to see big renders of human swordsmen and archers humans rule in this game.

crex719
07-26-2008, 12:33 PM
What about some kind of werewolf-like race?

Mrdash
07-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Im not sure how much you could do with that. And they could probably fit that into the undead sort of area.

crex719
07-26-2008, 02:54 PM
wolf warriors, archers, a giant wolf like siege weapon. small little caves protected by a wooden wall....not that hard

Sharku
07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
A were-wolf race would probably fit best under the Undead (as already said :-P) but I admit that it would be super awesome if you could play a faction that's a mix of Vampires and Were-wolves with the big, black architecture, not sure what style that would be called because I don't think it's Gothic. I kind of based that idea off the Vampire Counts from Warhammer (awesome faction btw).

Esculas the Mighty
07-26-2008, 04:51 PM
bring me something other then werewolves undead or vampires
maybe something amphibian

ash12181987
07-26-2008, 07:34 PM
I think it would be a cool idea for instead of using say houses to boost the command unit limit of the Undead, instead to have Necromancers provide the unit limit. They are medium-strong spellcasters, not your personal spellcasters, who increase the limit you can have on undead units. You can recruit Dark Humans, Dark Elves etc. who are unaffected in this, but the Undead require the animation energy of their masters.

Agreed.

Also, perhaps have the undead being of differing strength depending on what they are raised from (IE, a undead giant will be a tad bit stronger than an undead goblin... for obvious reasons), as well as the strength of the caster (IE: a lvl say 2 caster can make a skeleton, while a lvl say 20 caster can make something like a, Deadite or something, that has increased endurence, strength, attack, ect.) Each of hte varying strengths of undead unit has researched levels that must be reached, and perhaps by the resurrection of certain types of enemies, say heros or mages, after a certain point can raise a special type of undead, be it death Knight or Lich.

Mrdash
07-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Undead are sounding cooler and cooler. =D

Esculas the Mighty
07-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Undead are sounding cooler and cooler. =D

looks like all the human players are gonna switch to undead if they come out xD

Mikey
07-27-2008, 11:14 AM
i'm staying human thick and thin :)

Mrdash
07-27-2008, 12:08 PM
looks like all the human players are gonna switch to undead if they come out xD

Thats cause we have all been infected. =D

nickson104
07-28-2008, 06:04 PM
I see...what am I thinking of....*goes into deep thought*

Undead dragons.... wyverns?

and yeah you guys seem to be improving that undead idea everytime i come on :)

the dragons cannot be infected however and we shall prevail :p

Mrdash
07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Undead dragons.... wyverns?

and yeah you guys seem to be improving that undead idea everytime i come on :)

the dragons cannot be infected however and we shall prevail :p

WOOT wyverns thats them.

And I think its because undead is probably a faction you could do the most with. Think of all the possibilities. Take anything from the other factions and you can make it undead =D UNDEAD ROYAL DRAGON!!!

Tomas1297
07-29-2008, 04:18 AM
. I kind of based that idea off the Vampire Counts from Warhammer (awesome faction btw).

Oh Em Gee im not the only one who wants a vampire counts-esque race!

Esculas the Mighty
07-29-2008, 06:22 PM
WOOT wyverns thats them.

And I think its because undead is probably a faction you could do the most with. Think of all the possibilities. Take anything from the other factions and you can make it undead =D UNDEAD ROYAL DRAGON!!!

0.o wont take much work it can even be made by editor if it just all the other units undead-a-fied

nickson104
07-31-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm not one for mods myself, i rather have everything there as it should be no tweaking, a few updates maybe but no tweaking on your behalf it can result very badly lol :(

Esculas the Mighty
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
u guys are all just old school horror movie fans right? dont deny it vampires...werewolves common ;)

frankein_fish
08-02-2008, 06:02 AM
..................Im not even gonna reply to that (Witch i just did..DO'h) :D

Esculas the Mighty
08-02-2008, 08:29 AM
its all good i just dont want them wasteing time on various other races when they could be finishing dragons and refineing the other done ones

frankein_fish
08-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah i think undead would be a bit..............cant even find a word for it :p

nickson104
08-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Yeah i agree i change my top two want to see races from dark elves and the viking race to dark elves and dragons

This game cannot go without dragons :o :(

The Witch King of Angmar
08-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Agreed. I'd like to see dark elves or dwarves for mine.

Esculas the Mighty
08-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Agreed. I'd like to see dark elves or dwarves for mine.

they might unit the dark elves with the wood and high do you really want such a powerfull enemy

frankein_fish
08-03-2008, 01:02 PM
they might unit the dark elves with the wood and high do you really want such a powerfull enemy

Well since there probably will be quite alot of internal fighting in all races id say yes :p
.................Well anyway id like Dwarves most

Esculas the Mighty
08-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Well since there probably will be quite alot of internal fighting in all races id say yes :p
.................Well anyway id like Dwarves most

id like to see a dark elf say no when i order it to attack thats always the realiable delete button

The Witch King of Angmar
08-03-2008, 03:28 PM
It'd be pretty cool if they'd mutiny your army if you didn't treat them well.

raving
08-04-2008, 01:28 AM
lol, would suck if they do :D

Esculas the Mighty
08-04-2008, 03:56 AM
dark elf : mine gold n oi refuse ot o mine gold to fuel your crazed war efforts

darks elves : yea all 200 of us argee

me: why are they gathering around my castle..... pitchforks.....torches...awwww hell nah...delete delete delete

me: mine gold

dark elves : yes sir rigth away expect your coffins full

frankein_fish
08-04-2008, 04:10 AM
.......................okeeeey

ash12181987
08-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Drifting back into the general area of a topic...

Earlier on someone mentioned the nature of the dark elves, be them just high elves dipped in tea, or elves twisted by sorcery, the dark side, or just bad fashion... Which is perfered here anyhow?

also, with dark elves... traditionally you see them underground, do we want to see this ran with as well?

The Witch King of Angmar
08-04-2008, 02:47 PM
I'd rather see them in a deep dark forest. Something like Mirkwood in LOTR.

nickson104
08-10-2008, 09:59 AM
I'd rather see them in a deep dark forest. Something like Mirkwood in LOTR.

I agree, or like some extremely dark corner of the map where its near uninhabitable (but not in the same way as orcish land)
I see dark elves as the same as light elves but instead of slivery or golden hair and such the darker colours and different magics but not precisely evil :)

Esculas the Mighty
08-10-2008, 04:51 PM
I agree, or like some extremely dark corner of the map where its near uninhabitable (but not in the same way as orcish land)
I see dark elves as the same as light elves but instead of slivery or golden hair and such the darker colours and different magics but not precisely evil :)

i agree i hate how everything dark is considered evil:(

nickson104
08-11-2008, 11:48 AM
i agree i hate how everything dark is considered evil:(

And everything light is good.

Whereas really there is no good or bad, no black or white just grey. I hope this will become one of the games where there is no 'good' and 'evil'

Sharku
08-11-2008, 04:09 PM
And everything light is good.

Whereas really there is no good or bad, no black or white just grey. I hope this will become one of the games where there is no 'good' and 'evil'But what would a game be without evil Orcs!

Esculas the Mighty
08-11-2008, 08:02 PM
But what would a game be without evil Orcs!

i game without evil orcs...... ive played many never seen an evil orc

aVeron
08-12-2008, 06:22 AM
i game without evil orcs...... ive played many never seen an evil orc

Oh rly? So you're saying you've never played a game with evil orc? oh god.. i wonder what games that would be.

nickson104
08-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Oh rly? So you're saying you've never played a game with evil orc? oh god.. i wonder what games that would be.

WoW? in there the orcs arent exactly evil, they may be aligned with the horde but that doesnt necesarily make them evil as the undead also are and they are freedom fighters against evil so yeah... the orcs in WoW are just trying to get by but everyone relates them to evil due to popular opinion and the fact their horde

Sharku
08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
WoW? in there the orcs arent exactly evil, they may be aligned with the horde but that doesnt necesarily make them evil as the undead also are and they are freedom fighters against evil so yeah... the orcs in WoW are just trying to get by but everyone relates them to evil due to popular opinion and the fact their hordeNot to start a debate, but I find the Warcraft Orcs to be pansies and uninteresting because of their current storyline.

aVeron
08-12-2008, 05:32 PM
WoW, doesnt have a story..

The story of warcraft ended in wc3:tft. In wow, yes, there is good orcs, and there where good orc in wc3:roc and wc3:tft too(Thrall ex) But there is also evil orcs in the warcraft university, which follows in all the warcraft games..

nickson104
08-12-2008, 05:51 PM
WoW, doesnt have a story..

The story of warcraft ended in wc3:tft. In wow, yes, there is good orcs, and there where good orc in wc3:roc and wc3:tft too(Thrall ex) But there is also evil orcs in the warcraft university, which follows in all the warcraft games..

Yeah WoW doesnt have MUCH of a story, it does have a vague one... and it at least had detailed backgrounds anyway

i never played the wc series though so i wouldnt know

Esculas the Mighty
08-12-2008, 07:53 PM

please name a game where theres an orc thats evil dont name a blood thristy orc thats basically an animal just going beserk name one where he intelligent but bent on evil

aVeron
08-13-2008, 04:20 AM
please name a game where theres an orc thats evil dont name a blood thristy orc thats basically an animal just going beserk name one where he intelligent but bent on evil

Hmm.. cant completly understand what ur saying.. but the lord of the rings game, does have pure evil orcs..

Anyhow this has gone pretty oftopic. so lets drop this here, orcs is a fantasy race which can be both good and evil, but in most cases they're on the evil side.. Doesnt necessarily mean they're in this game, thought..

Esculas the Mighty
08-13-2008, 01:49 PM
well ive never been a huge lord of the rings fan so i wouldn't know

and there is really no way you shouldn't be able to understand that

aVeron
08-13-2008, 02:18 PM
well ive never been a huge lord of the rings fan so i wouldn't know

and there is really no way you shouldn't be able to understand that

eh.. you mean should, right?

Otherwise.. I cant really understand why I should be able to know why you're not a huge fan of LotR.. But eitherhow.. i dont really care one bit..

And this bull**** about if orcs are evil or not.. should end right now, cause its not what this thread is about!

nickson104
08-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Hmm.. cant completly understand what ur saying.. but the lord of the rings game, does have pure evil orcs..

Anyhow this has gone pretty oftopic. so lets drop this here, orcs is a fantasy race which can be both good and evil, but in most cases they're on the evil side.. Doesnt necessarily mean they're in this game, thought..

Are you saying orcs arent in the game? their one of the 3 confirmed races... good/evil/neutral dont really matter, thats up to the devs but they are there and their gonna be good for beating up the puny elves thats all i need to know :)

The Witch King of Angmar
08-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah orcs are going to be in there.

Sharku
08-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I really like the Viking race idea. Wooly Rhino cavalry would be awesome.

aVeron
08-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Oh really, orc in the game, hmm i didnt know..

Give me a break....

Esculas the Mighty
08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
eh.. you mean should, right?

Otherwise.. I cant really understand why I should be able to know why you're not a huge fan of LotR.. But eitherhow.. i dont really care one bit..

And this bull**** about if orcs are evil or not.. should end right now, cause its not what this thread is about!

ill just stop speaking with you because you miss the point of every post

and i never wanted you too understand why im not a fan of it
i just told you that i wouldnt know they were evil orcs in lord of the rings because of that

The Witch King of Angmar
08-13-2008, 06:33 PM
This thread is going nowhere. Please get back on topic.

nickson104
08-14-2008, 09:57 AM
This thread is going nowhere. Please get back on topic.

Yes sir *salutes*

As sharku said the viking race would be awesome :) we have said this many times but i still think its a good idea :)

Or once again i return to the minotaurs... just imagine it, a group of bull minotaurs making mince meat out of a single elf... ahhh that image is soo pleasing :)

And dark elves, by far the best race ever invented :) i sooo want them :)

The Witch King of Angmar
08-14-2008, 12:42 PM
The minotaurs should be able to like charge guys and their calvalry or whatever fast unit they would get should be devastating. I think Dark Elves should get more stealth than regular because of their mysterious nature or something like that.

aVeron
08-14-2008, 12:51 PM
I would like to see some new human races, vikings, arabics or somthing!

Joseph Visscher
08-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Vikings ftw!

FEEL THE CHILL ON MY AXE AGAINST THE FROZEN INNERS OF YOUR CORPSE! MUAHAHAHAHAHAH.

;)

raving
08-15-2008, 03:49 AM
gieb us CRABPEOPLE!!!
crabpeople crabpeople, taste like crab
talk like people!.
back on topic :p

gieb dwarves / vikings. i love dwarves cause there mostly deep within a mountain, makes their forts sooo cool :).

frankein_fish
08-15-2008, 05:16 AM
I'd like Vikings too.
So i can be with my forefathers :D :p

Tbeaz161
08-16-2008, 12:16 AM
I'd like Vikings too.
So i can be with my forefathers :D :p

Thats not what you'll be thinking when your vikings are viciously Assisnated by my dark elves.

raving
08-16-2008, 03:22 AM
tbh would be cool to see a race that almost never has been used before. Like Elementals or so. or other races like that. Things you almost never see :)

Esculas the Mighty
08-16-2008, 03:26 PM
tbh would be cool to see a race that almost never has been used before. Like Elementals or so. or other races like that. Things you almost never see :)

i said something like that awhile back they shot me down quickly and shoved undead in my face :(

Mrdash
08-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Same....I WANT SOMETHING NEW! Not more orcs,elves,humans,dwarves,undead,(altho I like the undead idea =D). They are in just about every mystical game out there. I mean its a good idea not to stray too far from something good but to keep using the same things over and over? Im getting bored of these factions, create a new race or something. Use your imaginations. =D

Generation
08-17-2008, 02:35 AM
yes but when did u think u can use dragons in an rts game? hmmmmmm that's right i beat ya! lol jk and i believe there was never a game where we can use dragons as a race so last person who answered this ur question has been answered about having a new race

Mrdash
08-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Ok thats 1 new race. Even though it wont be with the game at launch. What I ment was I didnt want more of the same old races added.

Esculas the Mighty
08-17-2008, 03:09 PM
yes but when did u think u can use dragons in an rts game? hmmmmmm that's right i beat ya! lol jk and i believe there was never a game where we can use dragons as a race so last person who answered this ur question has been answered about having a new race

true but its about races being added to the currently exsisting 1's

u cant even grab a weird animal not many people know about turn it into a humanoid and bam lol easy way out tho

Puppeteer
08-21-2008, 07:16 AM
I love these topics, filled with pages and pages of regurgitated spam :)
I would love to learn to mod and model, and create a dark elf faction... that would be so sweet.

wou129
08-21-2008, 12:21 PM
i think i want to see a nation of murlock like things or spiders

Sharku
08-21-2008, 04:11 PM
I still really like my Centaur/Minotaur idea :-P They're both races which are rarely used in fantasy games and the play style would be quite unique.

nickson104
08-22-2008, 12:40 PM
I still really like my Centaur/Minotaur idea :-P They're both races which are rarely used in fantasy games and the play style would be quite unique.

Trample damage... hit and run tactics.... shock troops.... tanking abilities..... yeah a whole new playing style in a way, but it would be rather hard to balance with other races... but it would still be pretty awesome

Puppeteer
08-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Architecture based on? Trees? They're covered by elves. Caverns? Fine for minotaurs, but not really Centaurs. Magic? Nature coverd by Elves yet again. Siege? Generic equipment? Footsoldiers? Half-minotaurs? pfft

iceblast
08-23-2008, 11:04 AM
i would like to see a 300 spartan as a some funny unlockable units.

nickson104
08-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Architecture based on? Trees? They're covered by elves. Caverns? Fine for minotaurs, but not really Centaurs. Magic? Nature coverd by Elves yet again. Siege? Generic equipment? Footsoldiers? Half-minotaurs? pfft

centaurs could be plains vast open spaces with arid grass possibly...

as for minotaurs you could have fun creating new things or you could be simple and use a bull minotaur for the siege, im sure a bull minotaur with the right equipment could do some major damage to walls...

Esculas the Mighty
08-23-2008, 12:31 PM

as for minotaurs you could have fun creating new things or you could be simple and use a bull minotaur for the siege, im sure a bull minotaur with the right equipment could do some major damage to walls...

units that stick out always get pwned first

Puppeteer
08-23-2008, 01:14 PM
True that.
That's a funny architecture concept you have yourself there... assaulting a fortress which is just basically a meadow would be a piece of *bladder fluid*...

Sharku
08-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Architecture based on? Trees? They're covered by elves. Caverns? Fine for minotaurs, but not really Centaurs. Magic? Nature coverd by Elves yet again. Siege? Generic equipment? Footsoldiers? Half-minotaurs? pfftI was thinking for the early part of the game they would use Mongolian architecture, and then later, when they become more settled, adapt it to their towns. I've never actually seen a Mongolian castle though (if they even have any).

Shamanistic magic would be good for these guys.

Siege units would be simple, yet effective. Battering rams, siege towers, ladders, etc. I was also thinking, for the Minotaurs (they seem more likely then Centaurs) to add some sort of large, expensive plains creature, sort of like a war elephant.

Foot soldiers would of course be regular soldiers. Don't see why we would need 'half-minotaurs' just because they are normal, front line fighters.

Puppeteer
08-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Suddenly the race of Men seems like it needs a name change...
and why Mongolian, pray tell?

nickson104
08-24-2008, 09:08 AM
True that.

That's a funny architecture concept you have yourself there... assaulting a fortress which is just basically a meadow would be a piece of *bladder fluid*...

rofl fair point :) never thought that throuh did i? :p

Esculas the Mighty
08-24-2008, 10:13 AM
rofl fair point :) never thought that throuh did i? :p

it would be a complete wipe out

nickson104
08-24-2008, 10:40 AM
it would be a complete wipe out

but wouldnt it be fun? :p

Esculas the Mighty
08-24-2008, 11:00 AM
but wouldnt it be fun? :p

OH YEA!:D !

frankein_fish
08-25-2008, 09:02 AM
im just suprised this topic hasn't been closed 10pages ago :rolleyes: :p

Sharku
08-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Suddenly the race of Men seems like it needs a name change...
and why Mongolian, pray tell?The Mongolians were nomads until they conquered half the world and settled down in cities and fortresses. The Minotaur would follow that play style, being nomadic for a little while until they reach a certain point, maybe an upgrade or certain amount of resources, and then they would settle down and build their castle.

Jean=A=Luc
08-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Siege units would be simple, yet effective. Battering rams, siege towers, ladders, etc. I was also thinking, for the Minotaurs (they seem more likely then Centaurs) to add some sort of large, expensive plains creature, sort of like a war elephant.

I'd go with this just to see Minotaurs climb ladders and ride elephants. :p

Esculas the Mighty
08-25-2008, 06:42 PM
use a different mythological being minotaurs are laughable and centuars...come on serouisly a city of them wouldnt seem rigth(feel rigth , look rigth )

i rather see minotaurs and centuars are sub-races

Andy Joslin
08-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Sharku, in Dawn of Fantasy we're trying to focus on overall species rather than race/ethnic group for the Orc/Elf/Men names.

Sharku
08-26-2008, 12:39 AM
Sharku, in Dawn of Fantasy we're trying to focus on overall species rather than race/ethnic group for the Orc/Elf/Men names....you've confused me.

nickson104
08-27-2008, 04:51 AM
Sharku, in Dawn of Fantasy we're trying to focus on overall species rather than race/ethnic group for the Orc/Elf/Men names.

you know like subgroups within them sharku, example men: viking, mongolian, roman etc

Sharku
08-27-2008, 06:49 AM
you know like subgroups within them sharku, example men: viking, mongolian, roman etcI was only using Mongolian as the type of architecture I would've liked to see if that race had been implemented though.

nickson104
08-27-2008, 09:10 AM
I was only using Mongolian as the type of architecture I would've liked to see if that race had been implemented though.

lol dont worry about it... i dont know what we are talking about half the time :P just go with the flow and take no notice of others... thats what i do :P XD

mongolian architecture is good :) japanese is good :) combine japanese, incan and celtic together XD Japincic :) it would be awesome

Puppeteer
08-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Err, no.
Yet that sounds a bit contradictory, Andy Jolsin. I believe the Elves were described as a conglomeration of "High Elves" and "Wood Elves", leaving scope for one to infer possible additions eg. Dark Elves. Are they of the same kin or is the name coincidental, based on appearance? Of course, this only applies if Dark Elves is considered, not necessarily added :p

nickson104
08-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Err, no.
Yet that sounds a bit contradictory, Andy Jolsin. I believe the Elves were described as a conglomeration of "High Elves" and "Wood Elves", leaving scope for one to infer possible additions eg. Dark Elves. Are they of the same kin or is the name coincidental, based on appearance? Of course, this only applies if Dark Elves is considered, not necessarily added :p

Hehe why not? :p (im joking)

and yeah it is a little contradictary i never thought of it really but you have a point puppeteer :) puppeteer - 1 Reverie - 0

Dark Elves are awesome though if they come out i take back my 'destroy all elven' pledge and join forces with dark elves... to destroy all 'light elves'

Esculas the Mighty
08-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Hehe why not? :p (im joking)

and yeah it is a little contradictary i never thought of it really but you have a point puppeteer :) puppeteer - 1 Reverie - 0

Dark Elves are awesome though if they come out i take back my 'destroy all elven' pledge and join forces with dark elves... to destroy all 'light elves'

all because dark and ligth are opposeites doesnt mean they dont like each other what if they are the same faction lol

nickson104
09-01-2008, 06:33 AM
all because dark and ligth are opposeites doesnt mean they dont like each other what if they are the same faction lol

i dont do it because their opposites... but because i hate elves :p but i love dark elves :) so no matter who i go i will be attacking elves primarily :p