PDA

View Full Version : "Official" What Other Factions Do You Want To See Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Esculas the Mighty
09-01-2008, 03:11 PM
i dont do it because their opposites... but because i hate elves :p but i love dark elves :) so no matter who i go i will be attacking elves primarily :p

u hate the elven sub race lol

Puppeteer
09-01-2008, 04:19 PM
SIR JOSEPH, 35, half-human, half-dwarf. Joseph was raised in a Dwarven under-city, and feels extremely at home with his hard-drinking, irate, bearded half. He resents being only half-dwarf, and often denies his human heritage.
Cited from website. Possibility of dwarfs slightly increased? :p
Not based on JBV I hope :p lol

Esculas the Mighty
09-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Cited from website. Possibility of dwarfs slightly increased? :p
Not based on JBV I hope :p lol

they convinced me when they had them on the map

Sharku
09-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Well with Dragons taken out Dwarves are definitely a possibility.

Puppeteer
09-02-2008, 06:15 AM
Well with Dragons taken out Dwarves are definitely a possibility.

What are you on about?

Sharku
09-02-2008, 11:38 AM
What are you on about?That maybe since Dragons were taken out Reverie will add the Dwarves in as a replacement.

Andy Joslin
09-02-2008, 12:28 PM
The dragons are not removed from Dawn of Fantasy, but delayed. We do not have the time/manpower to keep our release date and at the same time include dragons, unless we ship out a sloppy game (which we do not want).

Dragons will be in an expansion/bonus pack, better than they would be if released with the rest of the game.:)

fyro11
09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Will Dragons be the only new additional faction in the expansion? At this moment in time, that sounds a little disappointing.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Wow, that's even better than I had hoped. I wonder if more flying units will be offered in the expansion.

raving
09-03-2008, 03:43 AM
argh flying units, makes castles seem useless from time to time. good thing we got lots and lots of archers on those walls.

Sharku
09-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Yea, the thing with flying units is that you have to make sure they aren't too OP by either giving them very little armor and health or making their attack very strong at the expense of their speed.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-03-2008, 08:11 AM
I'd like the last suggestion better.

fyro11
09-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow, that's even better than I had hoped. I wonder if more flying units will be offered in the expansion.
I really don't understand. Was you expecting there to be no new factions in the expansion, and now that you've been told there's Dragons you're happy?

fyro11
09-03-2008, 10:48 AM
I'd like the last suggestion better.
Makes more sense.

There could be fast, but weak dragons for scouting purposes.

EDIT: Sorry about DP

nickson104
09-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Makes more sense.

There could be fast, but weak dragons for scouting purposes.

EDIT: Sorry about DP

i was thinking that exactly, fast small ones for scouting/shock and larger ones for the more tanking roles
but then again reverie have already developed the race in general but need to do a lot of fine tuning to it im guessing, and with dragons the animation would be rather a lot more difficult than the humanoid races and therefore take a lot more time and effort

or i could be wrong im just guessing :p

Mrdash
09-06-2008, 12:28 AM

You always seem to be calm, happy, and content with everything....whats your secret?

The Witch King of Angmar
09-06-2008, 07:39 AM
I just really want to see dragons and I'm happy with whatever Reverie releases or doesn't release.

nickson104
09-10-2008, 09:29 AM
I just really want to see dragons and I'm happy with whatever Reverie releases or doesn't release.

i agree totally :)

raving
09-10-2008, 05:31 PM
the dragons are coming in expansion ^^, so you can still play them. Just a little later :D

nickson104
09-11-2008, 09:46 AM
the dragons are coming in expansion ^^, so you can still play them. Just a little later :D

Im fine with that, i make do with the usual races in most games anyway and this game looks to be a lot better than them so it should be easily bearable :)

Puppeteer
09-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't think the word "Bearable" is appropiate... "Fantastic!", maybe :p

nickson104
09-12-2008, 01:55 PM
I don't think the word "Bearable" is appropiate... "Fantastic!", maybe :p

correct once again puppy :)

MrBlack103
09-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I would definitely want Dwarves as another race, with underground buildings hopefully.

I don't really like undead, though. I hate them, except maybe as a neutral, non-playable race.

Puppeteer
09-14-2008, 06:10 AM
Why's that?

MrBlack103
09-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't know myself. Perhaps I like the idea of "the dead" in LOTR pretty much being neutral.

Puppeteer
09-15-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't know myself. Perhaps I like the idea of "the dead" in LOTR pretty much being neutral.

That was the case there. But maybe not here; they could be neither good nor evil, but not neutral either. They're on a side of their own (as are the other factions :P).

MrBlack103
09-15-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm not saying it is the case here. I'm just saying I want it to bethe case.

Onebadterran
09-21-2008, 09:05 PM
http://www.thewatcherfiles.com/alien_races.html

That is quite a few races, some more detailed than others but you can use your imagination. Many "races" or "factions" can be grouped together into one, such as Minitaurs and Orcs or Orcs and Ogres for example. Many of these are human spinoffs but some could atually be used.

Harpies would have to be their own since they are so far off of any other race.

Please keep dragons pure. Dragons are dragons and they don't particularly like other races, atleast from what ive seen/read.

fyro11
09-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Undead (or Dead, or whatever) is a must. It's always the most fascinating faction. If one doesn't personally like them then by all means, don't play as the Undead.

Puppeteer
09-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Hypocrisy overload! You can't group the likes of Orcs & Minotaurs, then claim that Dragons and Harpies should be left well alone!
Amen Fyro

Onebadterran
09-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Ok maybe not Orcs and Minotaurs but Minotaurs really couldn't be their own unless someone had a very creative mind.

Dragons are reptiles that breathe fire.
Harpies are a human-bird breed.

Other than they fly there is nothing similar whereas Orcs and Minotaurs are both large, muscular, brutal warriors.

Seriously though people, read the link that I posted, it has some decent suggestions.

Puppeteer
09-23-2008, 10:32 AM
I could say only a creative person could get away with Harpies too. Minotaurs/Beasts could hold their own...
And not all Dragons are going to breathe fire here.

Esculas the Mighty
09-23-2008, 05:54 PM
I would definitely want Dwarves as another race, with underground buildings hopefully.

I don't really like undead, though. I hate them, except maybe as a neutral, non-playable race.

we think alike

Onebadterran
09-23-2008, 07:08 PM
If dragons won't breathe fire what else would they do that would be an effective weapon? Would you put Minotaurs as a seperate race, possibly unplayable as well as undead or harpies?

Obviously this is causing controversy and it doesn't seem to be too bad of a topic right now as well as it is on-topic (deciding what race goes where) but lets try not to flame as best as we can.

I also agree with Esculas and MrBlack.

fyro11
09-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Those of you that 'don't really like Undead', have you played WC3?

It's always fascinating how the developer's vision of the Undead is 'brought to life', so to speak. It's just so uniquely evil, nothing compares to it.

You guys may be averse to it because you haven't seen it. I admit I would've been like that as well had I not played WC3. But after playing them, they're just soo different and it's very enjoyable to play as them.

Puppeteer
09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
This is by no means flaming, nor has any posts been so far by either of us :p this is a debate!

If dragons won't breathe fire what else would they do that would be an effective weapon?
Stampede, crush, swipe, headbutt... the Dragons don't all breathe fire, likewise, not all fly. Some are half dragons and use weapons.
Would you put Minotaurs as a seperate race, possibly unplayable as well as undead or harpies?
Err, no... if there's a faction it shouldn't be unplayable. All I'm saying is by your logic if harpies are allowed to be their own faction, then why limit Minotaurs? Afterall, Harpies are merely halfbird/half humanoid and Minotaurs are merely half bull (or beast)/half humanoid.

Onebadterran
09-24-2008, 05:54 PM
I have played WC3 and I am rather good at it, though Vista-64 bit doesn't run it. I use the Night Elves and I just flat out do not like undead, just the way I feel about it. I have also played Last Chaos, and there are a lot of undead in that one. I actually play that game because I despise undead so much.

I was suggesting that Harpies go with Humans (though I probably forgot to mention that), as a scouting type of unit at its ealiest form and a deadly weapon at its latest. I suppose if you really wanted to you could put Minotaurs with humans as well but to avoid complicating the game too much it would be easier to put them with Orcs.

Dragons could, understandably, use those different attacks but the classic dragon breathes fire. I have never actually seen a half-dragon in any game before so if you can find a game with one I will look into it.

I don't think they put Dragons in DoF1 but if there is an expansion or DoF2 then there will probably (hopefully) be Dragons.

Esculas the Mighty
09-24-2008, 10:22 PM
i want an amphibian or just ocean based civ

Puppeteer
09-25-2008, 11:42 AM
There's gonna be an expansion to add in Dragons, so they'd be far better than what they'd be if they were in the original release.

I was suggesting that Harpies go with Humans (though I probably forgot to mention that)
yeah you did :p mmm not too keen on this idea. Why not leave out the harpies then?

fyro11
09-25-2008, 04:22 PM
I have played WC3 and I am rather good at it, though Vista-64 bit doesn't run it. I use the Night Elves and I just flat out do not like undead, just the way I feel about it. I have also played Last Chaos, and there are a lot of undead in that one. I actually play that game because I despise undead so much.

I was suggesting that Harpies go with Humans (though I probably forgot to mention that), as a scouting type of unit at its ealiest form and a deadly weapon at its latest. I suppose if you really wanted to you could put Minotaurs with humans as well but to avoid complicating the game too much it would be easier to put them with Orcs.

Dragons could, understandably, use those different attacks but the classic dragon breathes fire. I have never actually seen a half-dragon in any game before so if you can find a game with one I will look into it.

I don't think they put Dragons in DoF1 but if there is an expansion or DoF2 then there will probably (hopefully) be Dragons.
So maybe it's just a personal distaste/dislike. I mean most people are not opposed to it, generally speaking.

Now as for dragons exhaling other than fire, then I can think of two games. The first being WC3 where we had Frost Wyrms, a creature of none other than the Undead. And before anyone asks, here is the definition of 'wyrm':

wyrm

Definition from Wiktionary, a free dictionary

(Auto-redirected from Wyrm (http://www.reverieworld.com/wiki/Wyrm?redirect=no))
Jump to: navigation (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/#column-one), search (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/#searchInput)
//
[edit (http://www.reverieworld.com/w/index.php?title=wyrm&action=edit&section=1)] English

[edit (http://www.reverieworld.com/w/index.php?title=wyrm&action=edit&section=2)] Etymology

From Old English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_English_language) wyrm (http://www.reverieworld.com/wiki/wyrm#Old_English)

[edit (http://www.reverieworld.com/w/index.php?title=wyrm&action=edit&section=3)] Noun

Singular
wyrm

Plural
wyrms (http://www.reverieworld.com/wiki/wyrms)

wyrm (plural wyrms (http://www.reverieworld.com/wiki/wyrms))

(poetic) dragon (http://www.reverieworld.com/wiki/dragon), particularly one without legs or wings
(poetic) snake (http://www.reverieworld.com/wiki/snake), particularly a large one

Rykarn
09-29-2008, 10:18 AM
I really love dwarfs, but I there are so few games that have them. I really they will show upp in an expansionpac or something

nickson104
09-29-2008, 12:08 PM
I really love dwarfs, but I there are so few games that have them. I really they will show upp in an expansionpac or something

You being serious? pretty much all fantasy games that let you choose different races have the dwarfs.

Mrdash
09-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Thats what I was thinking.

Esculas the Mighty
09-30-2008, 05:07 PM
You being serious? pretty much all fantasy games that let you choose different races have the dwarfs.

maybe he's new to the genre so he hasnt heard of them yet

nickson104
10-01-2008, 01:35 PM
maybe he's new to the genre so he hasnt heard of them yet

fair point :) all is forgiven :)

kronlc
10-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Undead would be totally awesome I would have to say' with skeleton
archers and zombie axemen, Undead horsemen padded with black cloaks
and beady red eyes.

OH YEeh baby GOt to have those beady red eyes.

nickson104
10-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Undead would be totally awesome I would have to say' with skeleton
archers and zombie axemen, Undead horsemen padded with black cloaks
and beady red eyes.

OH YEeh baby GOt to have those beady red eyes.

Sounds demonic XD i like demonic :)

Puppeteer
10-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Hmm... the undead are so misunderstood :p

nickson104
10-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Hmm... the undead are so misunderstood :p

And so they will remain, who really understands the dead and beyond? And then everyone has different opinions on such topics and with each new viewpoint they get more and more misunderstood :p

fyro11
10-05-2008, 04:49 PM
And so they will remain, who really understands the dead and beyond? And then everyone has different opinions on such topics and with each new viewpoint they get more and more misunderstood :p
Yet more and more fascinating. Each developer's depiction is, well, fascinating.

nickson104
10-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Yet more and more fascinating. Each developer's depiction is, well, fascinating.

Or so bad you instantly remove the game and claim to have never played it :p

Kaeleb
11-23-2008, 12:41 PM
A new race ? oh that s easy i mean we got the civilised ( humans ) the peaceful guardians ( elves ) the brutal ( orcs ) the Majestic ( dragons ) now all we need is the PURE EVIL i mean sure orcs are bad but not "evil" more like just savages , but a Demonic race is what we need : Undead , Demons , the Fallen ( all those that died in the war coming back for a pay back ) Necromancers ,anything that just Says EVIL lol ( btw dark elves are nice but not really original )

Puppeteer
11-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Do we have to go through this whole charade about good-evil again!?

Esculas the Mighty
11-24-2008, 12:08 PM
A new race ? oh that s easy i mean we got the civilised ( humans ) the peaceful guardians ( elves ) the brutal ( orcs ) the Majestic ( dragons ) now all we need is the PURE EVIL i mean sure orcs are bad but not "evil" more like just savages , but a Demonic race is what we need : Undead , Demons , the Fallen ( all those that died in the war coming back for a pay back ) Necromancers ,anything that just Says EVIL lol ( btw dark elves are nice but not really original )

a nation cant be civilized if its purely evil =P they would be killing each other and plotting against one another too much to even create new tech or even come together in a community

Puppeteer
11-24-2008, 02:50 PM
That'd be anarchy, not necessarily evil.

Esculas the Mighty
11-24-2008, 08:56 PM
That'd be anarchy, not necessarily evil.

anarchy comes with the pure evil along with many other unacceptable things

Puppeteer
11-25-2008, 10:59 AM
No, it all depends on society. "Evil" is considered thus by the judging society, and so is subjective. Judging by our society, it could be narrow-mindedly viewed as evil, but it could also be ultimate liberalism. In other words not evil. Anarchy is an absence of a government institution. That could work for creatures who have a more predominant herd instinct, and feel no need for a central body or figure-head instead acting on their own impulses. So an "Evil" civilisation can be far more advanced than us, but not really evil.

fyro11
11-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi,

It's been a while since my last post! Anyways, evil is basically a notion that games have always kept an open interpretation of. At least according to my experience, that is.

Puppeteer
11-26-2008, 11:32 AM
What you jabbering on about? Most games stereotype to appeal to the safe & known. The furthest away from the norm they get are betrayals.

raving
11-27-2008, 04:42 AM
sandgnomes!!!! :p ive been playing too much wow :(

kronlc
11-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Unimagginative noObhs

I tink <Minaanimals k ocs they bite andsa if yous
bit by a minanimal yyou turnz to one 2 an i dot
i dont thNINk it good btu if a minaninmal s i dontleik'
the zebra ones

SvN
11-28-2008, 01:25 AM
Unimagginative noObhs

I tink <Minaanimals k ocs they bite andsa if yous
bit by a minanimal yyou turnz to one 2 an i dot
i dont thNINk it good btu if a minaninmal s i dontleik'
the zebra ones

um.. what..?:D

hey what about some sort of sea faction, sea creatures invading the coast of Mythador:P

The Witch King of Angmar
11-28-2008, 08:26 AM
That would be pretty cool. Their main realm could be way out in the ocean in some unknown part.

Draco
11-29-2008, 04:41 AM
Ok, here are my thoughts:

Spiders:

Large groups of spiders working together for the common survival of archnidom

They could maybe be connected together through a 'web-mind' and act as one synchronized killing machine, using better numbers and ruthless strategies

Devious trap makers and makers of fantastical buildings of spider silk they will stop at nothing to achieve their goals.

They could be all different sizes and types, joined together by the web-mind

Wolves:

Hunting in packs they could utilize hit and run tactics and gain bonuses the larger the pack is. They would not build cities but live of the land and be forever on the move. All the wolves of a player would be in a single pack with a alpha leader, but the pack can be split up to hunt various prey etc. each sub-pack headed by a beta leader. The more wolves together in one pack the greater bonuses they receive and the strongewr their morale becomes, all the leaders could use special abilities like howl and rally to give bonuses and decrease enemy morale, etc.

Murlocs!...sort of

A amphibious race that can move about easily on both land and in the water, though they receive penalties from overly dry regions like deserts

favouring still pools in which to breed their eggs these pools will be highly valued and carefully gaurded, different pools might result in different murlocs because of minerals in the water etc.

Artificial pools might also be made and/or minerals manually added to a pool
Most mutloc should be able to swim in salty water, execpt for a few subspecies though they would prefer swamp water with a subspiecy thriving in the sea.

Just my thoughts, and a wyvern is like a less powerful and more stupid version of a dragon with only two legs, their is no name used exclusively for undead dragons

Puppeteer
11-29-2008, 12:55 PM
The sea faction could have the 'Kraken Tanks' (or so I've dubbed them to be) from John Wyndham's aptly named book.

Sharku
12-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Wasn't an amphibious faction already dubbed to hard to balance?

nickson104
12-04-2008, 09:49 AM

Considering they would be submerged in water making them near unperceptible until they immerse for quick shock attacks, they would be mainly speed really and it would be hard to defend against their unpredictable attacks and such, but they would get a combat reduction for being put of water though and really no-one would build their castle RIGHT next to the water.... would they? :p

Draco
12-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Of course they would, this makes it much harder for non amphibian enemies to attack them from that side

SvN
12-04-2008, 11:59 AM

If they can balance dragons they can balance this;)

Puppeteer
12-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Balancing the sea faction would be harder. They'd favour maps with lots of bodies of water. Outside of those maps, they'd suck. Unless their disadvantage on land would be quite negligible, in which case for balance so would their advantage in water.

nickson104
12-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Balancing the sea faction would be harder. They'd favour maps with lots of bodies of water. Outside of those maps, they'd suck. Unless their disadvantage on land would be quite negligible, in which case for balance so would their advantage in water.

In which case no other faction would attack them, sea faction lives under the sea where can the other factions not get, under the sea

Puppeteer
12-05-2008, 11:09 AM
There you see? Even if you remove that "can't attack underwater faction" notion then it's still nigh impossible to balance well, without losing its uniqueness.

SPARROW94
12-07-2008, 04:30 AM
I Want Flying Gay People

Benjamin385
01-25-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey I am new here but i have been following this game for a while now. Here is what i would like to see...

I would like to See an Undead Faction Complete With Lich or Powerful Necromancer at the Head of it.

I would like to see Sub factions for the Humans Such as Eastern Faction (China and Japan kind of faction), Northern Faction (Similar to the Vikings), and Western Faction (your typical Medieval Humans)

the Eastern Human faction could use Gunpowder Units.

The Northern Faction Units Could Use An Rage Ability for their Standing Infantry at the Front lines.

Western Faction Units could have well an Defensive ability for all units that are Currently Engaged in Combat.

These are just thoughts of mine and I really look forward to this game.

Puppeteer
01-26-2009, 11:29 AM
No gunpowder, yet.

I would like to See an Undead Faction Complete With Lich or Powerful Necromancer at the Head of it.
Amen Brother! :D

Benjamin385
01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
No gunpowder, yet.

Amen Brother! :D

Aww... no gunpowder. But the undead faction would be awesome.you got to admit.

Puppeteer
01-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Yeah, I've been raving about them for ages. Glorious legions of the Undead...

nickson104
01-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I've been raving about them for ages. Glorious legions of the Undead...

animated corpses, blood and guts yum yum cant wait :) :p

Kell Aset
03-31-2009, 09:45 AM
With the better at night, not good in day, I would agree with. The materials their weapons and armor are made out of are supposed to be harmed by sunlight, so that would be one disadvantage we could add, also lower their accuracy due to the sunlight affecting their sensitive eyes.

I am not sure if Drows are very light sensitive; they are elves after all, even if they live in underdark/underground, day or night they still should see well.
About their weapons, those are made of adamantum (such a pretty name :) ) which turns to dust when “touched’ by sun light BUT there was a special adamantum type created for surface raids, it could withstand light.

After reading everything in this thread (and this took some time) I must say Drow faction would be nice indeed, but I have also a small suggestion of my own that was on my mind for some time already even before I started to read this. Sadly my idea is crushed by this post, and it was almost at end of entire thread :( :

in Dawn of Fantasy we're trying to focus on overall species rather than race/ethnic group for the Orc/Elf/Men names.

I wanted to suggest mentioned by Benjamin too - pure Japanese faction with samurais and all other units like in Shogun:Total War, of course with their great truly beautiful castles;

http://www.powayusd.com/teachers/dsykes/Japan%201.jpg

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2296.html

Puppeteer
03-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Or Bablyonians, featuring the Hanging Gardens. Or Egyptians with the Pyramids, the Sphynx, Abu Simbel and a lighthouse. Or Greeks with the Collusus, an acropalis and statue to Zeus. Or Romans with the Parthenon. Heck, just AOE: DOF style :P

Andy Joslin
03-31-2009, 11:38 AM
New factions will not feature new textures [at least until the expansion pack, if one comes].

However, with the current medieval men theme, you could do quite a bit in the medieval era believably. And of course you could make a mod.

LiTos456
03-31-2009, 02:50 PM
So its all mostly medieval?
I wish the men were more fantasy like, like in LOTR. Not medieval like. But oh well, at least theres elves and orcs :)

Grizzlez
03-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Apart from the random magic some normal Men heroes in BFME had, how is it much different to a medieval faction? They had normal soldiers, archers, spearmen and trebuchets. There castles were a little different in terms of appearance but stone walls and wooden gates are pretty similar to how a medieval fort would look like.

Kell Aset
04-01-2009, 07:19 AM
A pity I'm not much of a mod maker, well I (quietly ;) ) hope Reverie someday will perhaps consider creation of other factions that belong to basic races.

LiTos456
04-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I want to see hobbits.
I also want to see gollums. (jk)
Oh and maybe a technological faction like in RoN: RoL... Nah that's too much xD

TaTa456
04-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Didn't really read all 10+ pages of suggestions for additional races so if I repeat myself then tough luck :p

a dwarf or northern sorta like viking race would be cool, but just make em shorter than normal men race (cuz dwarves look bad ass and if theyre not gonna be short just make em an addition to men)

maybe an undead race, this is sorta taking ideas off of Warhammer series, a race composed off of the undead, with necromancers and different animal beings to lead them.

cant really think of any other races that are known and somewhat "known or real" races to be set in mythical time that are broad enough to be in a race of their own. but maybe to add different types of units to other races (incase they havent already been added) tree people (like ents) to the elf race, also maybe animal people or extra large bears/tigers/hawks that the elf race could have trained to fight for them. same goes for the orc race but give them evil more dark animal units.

again its hard to add a whole different race to the game, because some could just be added to the original races in an expansion (the skeletons would be for the dragons i suppose and the dwarves to the humans) but still i think the skeleton/dwarf race could easily be unique races on their own.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Personally, I like the medieval look of the Men faction. To me, it contrasts the other races nicely.

WolfDestiny
04-06-2009, 05:35 PM
This might have already been posted, but I hope not since the idea followed from some of the earlier pages of posts.

Anyways, along the lines of A Song of Ice and Fire, or even A Companion to Wolves, what about a sort of northern human and dire/trell wolf alliance race? I mean first off it'd probably be a good accompaniment to the dragon race. Secondly George Martin's books have a fairly huge following, which would probably help boost sales especially if he ever finishes the next one...

On a similar topic, if Reverie were willing to release a set of offline-only modding tools for the game I'm sure that there'd be a large boost to the fanbase. Or at the least some very happy people that didn't get to see a race they wanted make it into the game.

Andy Joslin
04-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Modding tools are planned. However, whether they are made they depend on the stage of the game near release.

LiTos456
04-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Didn't really read all 10+ pages of suggestions for additional races so if I repeat myself then tough luck :p

a dwarf or northern sorta like viking race would be cool, but just make em shorter than normal men race (cuz dwarves look bad ass and if theyre not gonna be short just make em an addition to men)

maybe an undead race, this is sorta taking ideas off of Warhammer series, a race composed off of the undead, with necromancers and different animal beings to lead them.

cant really think of any other races that are known and somewhat "known or real" races to be set in mythical time that are broad enough to be in a race of their own. but maybe to add different types of units to other races (incase they havent already been added) tree people (like ents) to the elf race, also maybe animal people or extra large bears/tigers/hawks that the elf race could have trained to fight for them. same goes for the orc race but give them evil more dark animal units.

again its hard to add a whole different race to the game, because some could just be added to the original races in an expansion (the skeletons would be for the dragons i suppose and the dwarves to the humans) but still i think the skeleton/dwarf race could easily be unique races on their own.

Oh vikings, thats cool! I love nords.

TaTa456
04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
btw, what i meant by undead is not zombies i meant like skeleton soldiers. and the necromancers could like resurrect fallen soldiers (allies and enemies) and turn them into skeleton warriors that would be cool.

Puppeteer
04-07-2009, 05:20 AM
If you went through the whole 34 other pages, you'd have seen many suggestions for the Undead. And a long discussion about the concepts of 'Good' and 'Evil'.

TaTa456
04-07-2009, 11:28 AM
ya im sure id find a lot of interesting and unusual suggestions lol but i dont exactly always have a full 24 hours to read through a 30+ page thread lol.. i guess that the game play wasnt meant to be a good vs evil game (like bfme) from what u said. but still a skeleton race would look bad ass. imagine summoning demon units or resurrecting fallen enemy skeletons units of an orc or troll and seeing a huge skeleton unit that you just killed now on your side delivering mayhem to its former allies. that would be deadly.

LiTos456
04-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I dont know about all of these suggestions. I think humans, elves, orcs, dwarves (or migit viking) and then dragons in an expension would be just fine. Undead race - it seems like a senseful race (look at battleforge), but I think it would come after the rest. Human, elf, orc and dwarf are the classic major 4 races, and dragon is this exclusive race that everyone will be pulled to. It was an idea from years ago. I hadn't seen another game with a playable dragon race, and undead already exists in a few games.
As for any other ideas I think it would be too much. Making some kind of a random race with a random name and random characteristics that Reverie came up with wouldn't work - people aren't familiar with it, so it would matter to them much. But dragons are in all folk tales and fantasy stories, and people would love that because they're familiar with them and they'd like to play them.
I'm imagining a dragon fortress be somewhere in the mountains, perhaps high, and the walls look somewhat like elven except they're reddish... hmm :P

fyro11
04-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Must admit I haven't followed every post since the last time I posted here, but, how about a sky faction based in the clouds? I know the response is going to be something like, "well duhhh, what about the Dragons", but this would be different. I don't know of any RTS game which implements such a thing. There could be a pathway of clouds to the skies or something of the sort. It would be a sky fortress, and maps with this would be sky-based. Obviously this would be in the expansion.

LiTos456
04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Must admit I haven't followed every post since the last time I posted here, but, how about a sky faction based in the clouds? I know the response is going to be something like, "well duhhh, what about the Dragons", but this would be different. I don't know of any RTS game which implements such a thing. There could be a pathway of clouds to the skies or something of the sort. It would be a sky fortress, and maps with this would be sky-based. Obviously this would be in the expansion.

I see what you mean. But how would anyone else get there...?

fyro11
04-07-2009, 01:11 PM
I see what you mean. But how would anyone else get there...?
Broad pathways consisting of...well, clouds. It's not the most well thought out, articulate concept, but I think I'm onto something. Have a look at HoMaM 5 (not an RTS btw) to get an idea.

http://www.mightandmagic.com/HeroesV/us/screenshots/hd/03.jpg

It's an idea that RWS could toy around with, and produce something even more magnificent, awe-inspiring and epic.

TaTa456
04-07-2009, 01:53 PM
lol i like that idea but i think it would be a bit too far out there, because that would require all the other races (besides dragons) to have enough of a technological advancement to be able to master flight or else how would they get up there? climbing rainbows?:D :p

just thinking about the fact that i read there will be naval units why not create a race that is predominately water-based? like a sea creature race that builds its castles on or under the water? they would dominate in naval combat but not be so well off on land.. that might be a bit unbalanced because im not sure how powerful or what sorts of naval units the other races have, and then it would be a matter of stale mate with the water race just camping and staying at sea, while the land race just staying on land..

Kell Aset
04-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Dof seems to have almost dark fantasy style so flying cities are a little to much from my point of view, and about underwater race hmn I think there was something here in this topic about that but I have no idea how other races could lay a siege on underwater stronghold heh :p . Well they (that underwater race) could build not under but on water, swimming buildings, hmn Atlantis, but perhaps it is too much too.

nickson104
04-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Dof seems to have almost dark fantasy style so flying cities are a little to much from my point of view, and about underwater race hmn I think there was something here in this topic about that but I have no idea how other races could lay a siege on underwater stronghold heh :p . Well they (that underwater race) could build not under but on water, swimming buildings, hmn Atlantis, but perhaps it is too much too.

but atlantis is sunk? ;) lol if it was just basically a base out at sea on stilts or whatever it would lead to some awesome navy battles with much boarding and such but it would be impractical, especially to defend = ships can have catapults but base cannot support weight of one (more like its ammo:p) efficiently... :p

Jean=A=Luc
04-07-2009, 04:20 PM
I want Amazons.
http://brandidunn.com/images/gallery/sketches/amazonWarrior.jpg

A matriarchal warrior society. Fast & deadly yet lightly clothed, errr armoured fighters. Very fast cavalry, great cavalry archers, spear/javelin throwers, chariots for elite units.

Shamanistic magic. Instead of "spells" they could have "rituals" (prayers to the Goddess) that grant global bonuses like faster resource gathering, increased stamina for all units, faster health regeneration, things like that.

Men would be present too but they could only be workers/peasants except maybe a "Queen's Guard", an elite group of strongest male warriors who act as bodyguards for the Amazon Queen and are also used by her to produce heiresses.

This faction would require large amounts of food and wood, only some gold and very little stone.They would get hunting bonuses. Stone & Gold penalties.

Town would consist of wooden palisades, some huts and tree houses situated on the strongest of trees. These trees would be connected by rope bridges, similar to an Ewok village. Defenses would be bolstered by many traps (stake pits, falling logs etc.) due to their hunting expertise. They wouldn't only rely on walls for defense like other factions, there would be traps and defensive positions inside the town like the rope bridges, platforms on trees, perfect for ranged units. Maybe even special cages containing rabid wolves (or other creatures) that could be released on the enemy.

They would domesticate wild animals like falcons, wolves, bears to serve as scouts, harassers/auxiliaries and even heavy hitters. Some animals could wear spiked collars or partial armour.

Maybe give them a "super" unit like a "domesticated"/trained giant snake. The snake could be used as a siege tower, lifting warriors up and onto the ramparts or it could position itself in such a way that would allow the amazons to climb up. It would also be a "ship", carrying units on its back across water, it would smash other ships with it's tail and/or head. Special ability would be an area-of-effect poison spit.

Maybe even a giant turtle as a naval transport that doubles as a battering ram with it's powerful beak which could also destroy ships. The problem is the turtle would be slow but many archers would be able to fire from its back.

Other vessels would be small & fast "yachts", almost boats, main fighting style would be boarding. Approach the ship quickly and latch on with grappling hooks. Ships grappled with hooks would also loose speed, more hooks = less speed. This would allow the slower turtle to catch up and wreck the ships as an alternative to boarding.

Grappling hooks would also be used in sieges instead of ladders. There could be an upgrade that gives all basic amazon units a rope with a grappling hook. These low tier units would go in the first wave to latch onto the walls with hooks (too high to throw?) then everyone would climb up. Maybe even give them a elite "burglar" unit. These would be women imbued with the "spirit of the cat", so acrobatic and agile that they can scale walls bare handed just by holding onto ledges, outcroppings and narrow crevices. They could become invisible (uses up stamina) and attacking would negate the invisibility. They would be able to kill a unit in 1 shot if they attack from behind. If they manage to kill all the units near the gate it would become unlocked and would automatically open. They would be pretty expensive niche units, not really cost effective in a typical battle situation.

You get the idea. :)

Kell Aset
04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
but atlantis is sunk? ;) lol
Sunk? hmn not in fantasies heh besides that, Atlantis could just swim away :p still no proof that it lies at bottom of sea :) .
Amazons? jungle race, feminists :eek: (isn't that picture of an elf? -ears-).

Jean=A=Luc
04-07-2009, 05:10 PM
(isn't that picture of an elf? -ears-).

Probably, it's not really clear but it doesn't matter, it's good concept art. They aren't feminists (it's a modern term), it's simply their culture. Hyenas are matriarchal too for example.

Esculas the Mighty
04-07-2009, 06:41 PM
lol i like that idea but i think it would be a bit too far out there, because that would require all the other races (besides dragons) to have enough of a technological advancement to be able to master flight or else how would they get up there? climbing rainbows?:D :p

just thinking about the fact that i read there will be naval units why not create a race that is predominately water-based? like a sea creature race that builds its castles on or under the water? they would dominate in naval combat but not be so well off on land.. that might be a bit unbalanced because im not sure how powerful or what sorts of naval units the other races have, and then it would be a matter of stale mate with the water race just camping and staying at sea, while the land race just staying on land..

imagine spartans climbing a rainbow

yea alot of us have mentions a sea-based race but how the eco system works it would have to be a large island some where so maybe the other side of the world in dof2

haha long sea voyages = pirating... hired pirating : )

Kell Aset
04-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Probably, it's not really clear but it doesn't matter, it's good concept art. They aren't feminists (it's a modern term), it's simply their culture. Hyenas are matriarchal too for example.

Well just like drows, they are also matriarchal :) , but You made quite interesting comparision hehe :p .
Now keep eyeballs in place :D http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/4661/elfkajpg.jpg (just ignore ears and You have amazone).

Jean=A=Luc
04-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I should've remembered the Drow. :p

Sorry but that pic is pretty terrible, I really dislike that loli/anime style. I tried google images, deviant art and elfwood and it's almost impossible to find a decent image of an Amazon warrior (although I'm quite picky), everyone just draws quasy-pr0n.

Puppeteer
04-08-2009, 04:25 AM
I dont know about all of these suggestions. I think humans, elves, orcs, dwarves (or migit viking) and then dragons in an expension would be just fine. Undead race - it seems like a senseful race (look at battleforge), but I think it would come after the rest. Human, elf, orc and dwarf are the classic major 4 races, and dragon is this exclusive race that everyone will be pulled to. It was an idea from years ago. I hadn't seen another game with a playable dragon race, and undead already exists in a few games.
Well done on contradicting yourself...

Kell Aset
04-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I should've remembered the Drow. :p

Sorry but that pic is pretty terrible, I really dislike that loli/anime style.

Terrible? :eek: how could anybody say that ooo blasphemy!!! :eek: someone with skill made that, hmn and it is not loli oh no no.

http://meganerid.deviantart.com/art/Female-Warrior-Yuki-95796899
http://meganerid.deviantart.com/art/Female-Warrior-Aska-105670188
http://egek.deviantart.com/art/Female-Turkish-Warrior-63432779
http://meganerid.deviantart.com/art/Female-Warrior-48127728
Those are great too.

nickson104
04-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Terrible? :eek: how could anybody say that ooo blasphemy!!! :eek: someone with skill made that, hmn and it is not loli oh no no.

http://meganerid.deviantart.com/art/Female-Warrior-Yuki-95796899
http://meganerid.deviantart.com/art/Female-Warrior-Aska-105670188
http://egek.deviantart.com/art/Female-Turkish-Warrior-63432779
http://meganerid.deviantart.com/art/Female-Warrior-48127728
Those are great too.

they are good pictures :) however they have strayed away from amazonia now XD this has just become a female race :) perhaps you could have a subrace of humans where the units would be female?
OR even better incorporate some females into the units, 1/20 soldiers would be female for example perhaps? although historically this would never happen but in fantasy it does... and it would be cool to have differing bodies in a battlefied not just 1000 identical soldiers...

Kell Aset
04-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Female race hehe well nvm that, I really like that idea of female soldiers, for humans there is a little problem with it if they have to stay with medievil style for elves perhaps it is not a problem for orks no idea.

TaTa456
04-08-2009, 06:47 PM
lol cant say i ever remember seeing a female orc... cant say id want to either:D

nickson104
04-09-2009, 01:48 PM
lol cant say i ever remember seeing a female orc... cant say id want to either:D

Except in WoW ;) XD

It depends if the game is sticking medieval for the humans or going more fantasy, in fantasy many of the warriors are female too but still predominantly male.... historically it would be none whatsoever, perhaps some of the mages and heros could be female ?

Maeode
04-09-2009, 04:16 PM
historically it would be none whatsoever, perhaps some of the mages and heros could be female ?

what about Joan of Arc? :D

Jean=A=Luc
04-09-2009, 06:24 PM
What about Boudica or the Roman Gladiatrix?

Puppeteer
04-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Typically, women wouldn't be in the army. Leaders were sometimes female, but your regulars usually weren't.

LiTos456
04-11-2009, 03:49 AM
Wow, amazons is actually a nice idea. Lightly clothed female warriors in DoF... hmm...

Joseph Visscher
04-11-2009, 10:52 AM
I was sitting right here when I first saw her in 3ds max (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autodesk_3ds_max), she was getting a dress with golden braces modeled on to her with a nice long golden bow; the Elven lust boiled inside me; I knew I fell in love with her right then and there and I knew I would eventually use her over and over again to pwn all the stupid noobs playing this game.

Lol. ;)

The Witch King of Angmar
04-12-2009, 01:31 PM
What the heck? I'm a bit scared now...

Grizzlez
04-12-2009, 02:48 PM
A race full of animals controlled by a few centaurs that fight to protect their land and have a massive Grizzly Bear that pwns all :p

LiveBlackNWhite
04-13-2009, 09:01 PM
I think adding women into the human armies would be a great idea, for example in steven erikson's "A tale of the Malazan book of the fallen" series the malazan empire puts women into there army. This might be a cool little idea to put in.
For the flying you can incorporate powerful sorcerors/sorceresses that have the ability to create gates or portals to get to areas in the air or something along those lines. As well that concept can be used on ground as a way to transport troops from one part of the map to another quickly.
I think maybe an evil human race would be a great new faction, i'm not saying the viking idea, but a race of humans that aren't barbaric. Like in LOTR the haradrim seemed like a more advanced evil race but were still men.

raving
04-16-2009, 11:18 AM
I think adding women into the human armies would be a great idea, for example in steven erikson's "A tale of the Malazan book of the fallen" series the malazan empire puts women into there army. This might be a cool little idea to put in.
For the flying you can incorporate powerful sorcerors/sorceresses that have the ability to create gates or portals to get to areas in the air or something along those lines. As well that concept can be used on ground as a way to transport troops from one part of the map to another quickly.
I think maybe an evil human race would be a great new faction, i'm not saying the viking idea, but a race of humans that aren't barbaric. Like in LOTR the haradrim seemed like a more advanced evil race but were still men.µ

but they have women implemented. who do you think prepares all the food and does the laundry? and those walls dont stay shinny by themselfes u know

Grizzlez
04-16-2009, 04:53 PM
µ

but they have women implemented. who do you think prepares all the food and does the laundry? and those walls dont stay shinny by themselfes u know

LOL! Nice answer to the use of women. I think it would be unlikely that men or elves would send a lot of women into battle-without them giving birth and raising children there would eventually be no army left. I think it would probably be best to have some elite type female warriors who are far beyond the skill of average soldiers and are therefore useful in battle.

nickson104
04-17-2009, 05:12 AM
LOL! Nice answer to the use of women. I think it would be unlikely that men or elves would send a lot of women into battle-without them giving birth and raising children there would eventually be no army left. I think it would probably be best to have some elite type female warriors who are far beyond the skill of average soldiers and are therefore useful in battle.

The elven women are all equals to men in skill and usually equal their counterparts in the army...
Human women are generally only heroes and mages and such, now and then perhaps an elite guard or such is female but its rare... would be good to have that implemented :) Eg:1/100 chance of elite guards being female and perhaps with heroes/mages we will get given a choice male or female? :)

Grizzlez
04-17-2009, 06:49 AM
I suppose it depends on what type of elves your looking at, some authors have them 'playing' a slightly different role to another. LoTR elves are different to Santas elves-so I guess its possible for reverie to have them as useless fighters or elite warriors.

Puppeteer
04-17-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm all for women as mages in Humans only, and 50/50 split for Elves.

LiveBlackNWhite
04-17-2009, 06:39 PM
I believe women would be a good addittion to the game, there's not many games that depict women as fighters out there, especially RTS games.

TaTa456
04-17-2009, 08:41 PM
i think doing what AoE2 (and other microsoft rts games) where the citizens/villagers were created at random both men and women, is a good idea. as for the fighting part its obvious that men are the superior fighters/soldiers/warriors. no sense in forcing a female soldier role into a game set into an age where women did have a certain role in life (workers/giving birth/raising children) not soldiers.. not trying to be sexist but its just common sense what role men and women should have in certain games set in certain times. no reason to force it like we got an cyber feminist movement going on or something.. unless you guys just want some cute anime style pixel female characters to have something nice to stare at..:p :rolleyes:

Andy Joslin
04-17-2009, 11:37 PM
We will either make peasants' race determined randomly, or we will have you choose which one to build.

For example, the human female peasant farms faster and does other things slower.

TaTa456
04-18-2009, 12:02 PM
that can become an iffy situation giving female and male citizens different traits/abilities at performing different tasks... for what its worth, id just make it random selection when built and give them the same statistics.

Puppeteer
04-18-2009, 12:08 PM
For example, the human female peasant farms faster and does other things slower.
That really doesn't make any sense...

nickson104
04-19-2009, 08:44 AM
That really doesn't make any sense...

i agree... and also it may prove problematic specially with feminists and such who may argue that such a system is sexist...

Grizzlez
04-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Basically women for instance would be able to farm food faster than men. Men would possibly be faster at chopping wood than women. I think that's what he meant anyway. Personally i'd prefer to have a randomisation of peasants or just have women walking around the town and just have a predominately male working population in the city.

fyro11
04-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes must agree with Grizzlez in his interpretation. I don't think he meant it offensively.

But I do think feminists might get their knickers in a twist.

Just play it safe with randomisation, like in most games.

Puppeteer
04-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I don't think it's a matter of feminism, but realism. Do the two XX chromosomes make women superior at farming, but inferior at wood chopping, for example? Not really...

fyro11
04-20-2009, 05:19 AM
I don't think it's a matter of feminism, but realism. Do the two XX chromosomes make women superior at farming, but inferior at wood chopping, for example? Not really...
If you're a girl, just say it. :cool:

Nah, just kidding. But clearly women are different from men, insofar that they have different body parts, their genetic makeup is different in that they are, on the whole, less capable of laborious work requiring brute strength. GCSE Science isn't going to quite cut it. This is not in any offensive way, btw. Just that there is a clear difference. Women would look like men otherwise. Or vice versa. Or we'd all be hermaphrodites.

Even though the differency in XX and XY chromosomes may not mean direct superiority in certain things. Clearly women and men excel in their own avenues, that's all.

But give women and men the same power like I said.

Puppeteer
04-20-2009, 08:29 AM
less capable of laborious work requiring brute strength
This is determined by environmental factors and the genes you inherit, but not your chromosomes. Going down the route of gender determining capability is ridiculous. Evidently, there are clear differences between genders (I did not argue against this) but in so far as the jobs they will undertake in the game, there are no differences.
Wtf your comment about GCSE science?

fyro11
04-20-2009, 09:44 AM
This is determined by environmental factors and the genes you inherit, but not your chromosomes. Going down the route of gender determining capability is ridiculous. Evidently, there are clear differences between genders (I did not argue against this) but in so far as the jobs they will undertake in the game, there are no differences.
Right. I'm not looking at an entirely scientific viewpoint. What I'm saying is that if you look at the general populace of the world, women won't be chopping down trees so much as they may be farming. Having said that, I'm just gonna end the - discussion that seems to be transpiring into an argument - here.

Wtf your comment about GCSE science?
Ah. Right. Didn't know you was studying beyond GCSE Science, since most sixteen-year olds do just that.

Having said that, really, you need to chill yourself out.

And give women and men the same powers. In fact, women could form the military, no problems.

TaTa456
04-20-2009, 09:45 AM
how about a faction completely made of chromosomes?:D :rolleyes:

fyro11
04-20-2009, 09:47 AM
how about a faction completely made of chromosomes?:D :rolleyes:
Might need Puppet's approval before that comes to pass. Or the servers may be bogged down by his incessant complaints. Kidding, Puppet. :D

Interesting. Doesn't Spore focus around such a thing.

Andy Joslin
04-20-2009, 09:54 AM
The difference is nominal, and could be changed.

Grizzlez
04-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Suprised that no-one noticed the massive contradiction I had in m previous post lol, fixed now.

If a woman is trained to chop wood and does it enough, she will be able to chop at the same speed as a man. Imo of how women are generally treated, they shouldn't be doing a lot of the manual labour, maybe collecting crops or something but as gender roles are in society men would normally chop wood and mine rocks.

Puppeteer
04-20-2009, 10:59 AM
fyro this debate will not escalate into a heated argument, unless you continue with your current remarks. Ambiguous/snide/unnecessary remarks concerning "GCSE science", "approval" and "chill" are completely unneeded and from past experiences often provoke arguments rather than quell them. I am merely trying to dissuade the devs from implementing this unrealistic superiority/inferiority.
Whilst allocating males the civil duties of wood cutting, quarrying and perhaps farming would be in keeping with the historical medieval scene, we would need to know more about villagers to decide on this. Are villagers similar to those in the AoE series: recruited from the village hall, and can be assigned different tasks temporarily? Or, are they recruited or automatically spawned from the function's building, once the structure is built? With the latter, the system of gender duties could be added, but with the former, it wouldn't work too well; you would have to wait until a male popped out before you could get a lumberjack. This could be added, or might just be a waste of time. But you should never implement the gender superiority/inferiority.

fyro11
04-20-2009, 12:31 PM
fyro this debate will not escalate into a heated argument, unless you continue with your current remarks. Ambiguous/snide/unnecessary remarks concerning "GCSE science", "approval" and "chill" are completely unneeded and from past experiences often provoke arguments rather than quell them. I am merely trying to dissuade the devs from implementing this unrealistic superiority/inferiority.
Right. My 'GCSE Science' remark was snide and unnecessary I admit, but 'wtf' doesn't fare much better. Me telling you to chill was just that, in light of your 'wtf...' retortion. Lastly, the comment about 'approval' was a bit of a jab in the ribs, and was meant light-heartedly in response to you being overly serious. This is to quell your qualms. Hope this doesn't warrant another response. :) Sorry if I've offended you.

I think what they're possibly planning to implement is an option between the two. One will possible be more favourable to a certain job, whereas the other will be to another. And if there is a 'nominal' difference, then no point having any difference at all. But I think they should just be spawned randomly, with equal power. Easiest and best way.

Puppeteer
04-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Clearly both sets of our posts have been misconstrued, in one form or another. I think we both need to just end this.

In Age of Mythology, the Nord's Dwarves were more efficient at mining gold, but less efficient at gathering food & wood. This served a purpose. This gender difference, however, does not.

szebus
04-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Simple is greater, so just use a random male female selection for the units.

TaTa456
04-20-2009, 07:46 PM
trying to get back on topic... what about a faction made up completely of forum trolls, they will be massive in size and power, be able to riddle and bamboozle their enemies with strategically structured paragraphs & confusing, seemingly intellectual sentences. while their true identity will never be revealed to the enemy, they will only be able to be vanished or blocked from an area until they find a way to change their identity once again and return to the battlefield.

hopefully by now you have laughed and thought of a new faction that will bring this thread back on course. :D :p :rolleyes: :eek: :cool:

fyro11
04-21-2009, 04:40 AM
^ Did they ever tell you at the Scouts that you're a pr0 at rekindling fires that were in ashes?

What d'you all think about the Sky faction, a WIP of course. Maybe you can enhance that idea.

nickson104
04-21-2009, 10:12 AM
^ Did they ever tell you at the Scouts that you're a pr0 at rekindling fires that were in ashes?

What d'you all think about the Sky faction, a WIP of course. Maybe you can enhance that idea.

Sky faction is a big no-no, airborne units wouldnt be able to be harmed by most other factions units and also flying pretty much definitely would be a hell of a lot quicker than walking... too many advantages in their favour and far too hard to balance, they would be OP and everyone would pick them and those who dont will be thrashed...

Sky faction + water faction are out of it as they have unfair advantages and would stray too far from the games other factions

fyro11
04-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Sky faction is a big no-no, airborne units wouldnt be able to be harmed by most other factions units and also flying pretty much definitely would be a hell of a lot quicker than walking... too many advantages in their favour and far too hard to balance, they would be OP and everyone would pick them and those who dont will be thrashed...

Sky faction + water faction are out of it as they have unfair advantages and would stray too far from the games other factions
Oh, come on. Be open-minded; we could have sky and water- mixed. :D

No seriously though, what I mean is that a sky faction doesn't necessarily have to have flying units only. It could have a higher ratio of flying units to ground units. And maybe the flying units would lose some bonuses due to vulnerablility in the sky. And who said all flying units must streak across the map with no less speed than a bolt of lightning? The faction would rather be based (that's the keyword: based) in the sky. And this would give their base it's own unique stats and abilities. Maps with this sky-based faction would have a cloudy atmosphere, and there could be broad pathways, even made of cloud leading to the sky base. Granted, I haven't completely unravelled plans in my own head either, but it's a start. And I can actually see it working. Just think of a sky-based faction, but strip them of their insane capabilities, sort of.

Oh and here's another thing for those that still are against a sky-based faction- don't forget the flying Dragon race which is possible in an expansion, and was almost to be debuted in the vanilla version had it not been for stringent time constraints for RWS. Will retract this, if required.

Esculas the Mighty
04-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Oh, come on. Be open-minded; we could have sky and water- mixed. :D

No seriously though, what I mean is that a sky faction doesn't necessarily have to have flying units only. It could have a higher ratio of flying units to ground units. And maybe the flying units would lose some bonuses due to vulnerablility in the sky. And who said all flying units must streak across the map with no less speed than a bolt of lightning? The faction would rather be based (that's the keyword: based) in the sky. And this would give their base it's own unique stats and abilities. Maps with this sky-based faction would have a cloudy atmosphere, and there could be broad pathways, even made of cloud leading to the sky base. Granted, I haven't completely unravelled plans in my own head either, but it's a start. And I can actually see it working. Just think of a sky-based faction, but strip them of their insane capabilities, sort of.

Oh and here's another thing for those that still are against a sky-based faction- don't forget the flying Dragon race which is possible in an expansion, and was almost to be debuted in the vanilla version had it not been for stringent time constraints for RWS. Will retract this, if required.

only the main dragons were meant to fly not every dragon unit most of the civ was gonna be drake i believe

drakes dont fly

dunno i just cant see a ''sky'' civilization even working u would have to have a majority of archers just to fight them and cloud passages just seems corny

drklrd
04-22-2009, 02:49 AM
I realise that my post won't entirely be on new self-sufficient races, but since we're on the topic of Races of Angels and Demons, an idea could be that they are available as a late-game, summonable sub-faction. So, Men and Elves (and even Dwarves, whenever they're available) could summon late-game, Angels. They (the Angels) would have their own buildings, but very limited, and would be very powerful. In the same way, the other side of the divide; the Orcs and Dragons (although some may not want to perceive them as evil) and the Undead (again, when they're available) would be able to summon Demons as a subfaction with its own set of limited buildings but powerful and limited troops.

EDIT: Actually, for some reason my idea doesn't seem like such a good one. But if someone can base another idea off of it, then kudos to you. :)

I really liked this idea. It could be implemented as a sort of race "wonder"(some form of building that takes alot of time and resources to build) where humans could build a cathedral that allows them to summon angels, orc's could build a sacrificial altar to summon demons and the elves a tree of life where they could summon spirits(water, fire, earth etc) so the summons could still retain their fantasy attributes(strong mythical creatures)... that is of course if you can't implement them as separate races.

TaTa456
04-22-2009, 09:31 AM
that sounds like a pretty neat idea, they wouldnt be immortal because they are in a mortal world but they would be extremely powerful, or maybe only resistant to mortal attacks, and could only be killed by the other teams immortal unit. huge angels/demons/spirtits would be awesome

nickson104
04-22-2009, 10:04 AM
that sounds like a pretty neat idea, they wouldnt be immortal because they are in a mortal world but they would be extremely powerful, or maybe only resistant to mortal attacks, and could only be killed by the other teams immortal unit. huge angels/demons/spirtits would be awesome

Agreed with the awesomeness, but if implemented they shouldnt be TOO OP, make them worth about one or two battalions of units but with a lower population cost and of course higher price for the awesomeness :) :p

Mrdash
04-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Sweeteness idea. The angel/demon/spirit shouldn't be able to be killed my another immortal though. What if the other dude didn't have one yet? You could pretty much sit there and own him.

Ohhh there could be angel/demon/spirit "slayers" lololol I would name mine "Demon Hunter" After one of my favorite bands XD XD XD XD XD

TaTa456
04-22-2009, 12:47 PM
uhh, remember that this game has pop limits of 1000+ so a demon/angel/spirit super dood should be able to take out a battalion in a couple of swipes with whatever super weapon he has. i guess though with enough punishment he could die by the hands of mortals. but he would definatly be an army destroyer. like it would take an army of several hundreds of units to take down one of these super units.

fyro11
04-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Maybe as well as immortals, heroes could have immortal-slayer abilities. And at least one hero would be buildable from the beginning (for Skirmish mode.)

Nice idea you've ripped off of mine, drklrd. :D

EDIT: Also, maybe the Cathedral (and its equivalent for the other factions), could have a Lightray Walls (and equivalent for other factions) upgrade for damage reduction for one's fortress from these super units.

Puppeteer
04-22-2009, 03:28 PM
I'd like the idea of global upgrades instead. A little bit of something for everyone. You're not screwed if your opponent gets it, but you'll have to up your game considerably to beat him/her now.

nickson104
04-22-2009, 04:43 PM
uhh, remember that this game has pop limits of 1000+ so a demon/angel/spirit super dood should be able to take out a battalion in a couple of swipes with whatever super weapon he has. i guess though with enough punishment he could die by the hands of mortals. but he would definatly be an army destroyer. like it would take an army of several hundreds of units to take down one of these super units.

Super units are a big no-no to be honest... OP units just get tiresome as many rely on them too much e.g heros in LOTR and such, they take pretty much an entire army to take down and it just gets annoying and boring... we wouldnt want them to be immortal, better than ordinary units yes but considerably more... no... we want the other player to have a chance to defeat them, not get obliterated due to having his own super unit...

Besides why would these units necessarily have 'super weapons' i would say they would have higher statistics and better weaponry but not so much better as to class it as super... the main difference would be the weapon skins... for example the angels would have elegant weaponry even fairer than the elves possibly emitting its own light and power, the demonic would be similar to orcish weaponry but may emit a dark aura or perhaps demons dont need weaponry? Spirits would be casters or i like them to be portrayed in similar ways to the Djinn in Guild Wars, that portrayal is one of my favourites :)

Esculas the Mighty
04-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Super units are a big no-no to be honest... OP units just get tiresome as many rely on them too much e.g heros in LOTR and such, they take pretty much an entire army to take down and it just gets annoying and boring... we wouldnt want them to be immortal, better than ordinary units yes but considerably more... no... we want the other player to have a chance to defeat them, not get obliterated due to having his own super unit...

Besides why would these units necessarily have 'super weapons' i would say they would have higher statistics and better weaponry but not so much better as to class it as super... the main difference would be the weapon skins... for example the angels would have elegant weaponry even fairer than the elves possibly emitting its own light and power, the demonic would be similar to orcish weaponry but may emit a dark aura or perhaps demons dont need weaponry? Spirits would be casters or i like them to be portrayed in similar ways to the Djinn in Guild Wars, that portrayal is one of my favourites :)

agreed super units ruin games entirely

Mrdash
04-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Of course there could always be an option for playing w/ or w/o it. Kinda like C&C Super Weapon option.

Andy Joslin
04-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Titans, IMO, kind of ruined Age of Mythology's expansion before Titans were nerfed. Super units, overall, aren't good in RTS regular gameplay.

Darvin
04-23-2009, 10:02 AM
The problem with super-units is the decisiveness factor. If I have two units that deal D damage and have H hit points against one unit with 2D damage and 2H hit points, the big unit wins by a significant margin. This is because halfway through the battle, the big unit kills a little unit, and after that it's all downhill.

As a result, big units have to be weaker, by cost, than an equal value of little units. This makes the idea of a titan unit inherently flawed because by default it gets beaten by huge swarms. If you balance it any other way, the swarms are worthless and the big units are the only ones that matter.

norbici
04-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Hy, I also would cherish the Dark Elves as a separate playable race, living under the existing world in caves or in some dark woods, mainly focusing on warlock style casters, which summons minions and use vampiric touch instead of heal, and other rouge/assasin style combatants with poison weapons.
Maybe having some light penalty during the day fights, and have bonuses during night, so players can focus during the day to build and during the night to quest with units :) Thx for reading.

nickson104
04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Hy, I also would cherish the Dark Elves as a separate playable race, living under the existing world in caves or in some dark woods, mainly focusing on warlock style casters, which summons minions and use vampiric touch instead of heal, and other rouge/assasin style combatants with poison weapons.
Maybe having some light penalty during the day fights, and have bonuses during night, so players can focus during the day to build and during the night to quest with units :) Thx for reading.

You've been playing too much WoW and GW mate ;) :p even using exact spell names 'vampiric touch' hehe :) joke :)

Dark elves are always a good idea but they are more a subfaction of elves :/

Grizzlez
04-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Personally i've always seen dark elves as more of a race to join orcs than the high elves. As in dark elves are inheritally evil-so even though they have similar appearance and traits they are somehow outcasted from the other elves-hence the name Dark Elves. I think this sub-faction may be better used as an addition to the most evil faction in the game, jealous and vengeful to the high elves and seeking revenge to take their place as the supreme race of elves.

I'd love to see a lot of animal type units such as bears, lions etc being used in each faction. Men would msot likely capture animals of the wild and set them loose on their enemies-such as dogs. Elves would use their nature-friendly approach to win over creatures that can scout and defend for them. Orcs would most likely take the most savage of creatures and torture them into being overly-aggressive killers and use them in battle to strengthen their numbers and turn the tide of battle. Could be a nice addition to strategy in the game, with not only building units, but also recruiting new ones from the wild.

szebus
04-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I'd love to see a lot of animal type units ... Orcs would most likely take the most savage of creatures ...

=)) aren't the orcs savage animals as well ? Imagine Elves capturing orcs and use them like humans use wardogs. :)

Mrdash
04-24-2009, 02:22 PM
How many times has this been discussed, besides certain factions like "Demons" most Factions are not inheritaly "Evil" or "Good".

If you think Undead are evil think back to LoTR when the good guys had the undead as part of their side.

Humans are a "Good" side? Must I go through many histories to show that they are both?

That being said I kinda like your "Animals Units" Idea. Would be funny to see a few bears mawling Archers. LOLOLOL

nickson104
04-24-2009, 05:47 PM
How many times has this been discussed, besides certain factions like "Demons" most Factions are not inheritaly "Evil" or "Good".

If you think Undead are evil think back to LoTR when the good guys had the undead as part of their side.

Humans are a "Good" side? Must I go through many histories to show that they are both?

That being said I kinda like your "Animals Units" Idea. Would be funny to see a few bears mawling Archers. LOLOLOL

RA pulled it off so i dont see why DoF couldnt... :)

and yeah the moral arguements and the views of 'black&white vs grey'

fyro11
04-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Would be funny to see a few bears mawling Archers. LOLOLOL
Happens all the time in WC3. Druid of the Claw.

I think Darvin's argument is very much true, hence the idea would not be of good use.

How about Dark Dwarves? Never heard of that. Or does it sound too nonsensical?

szebus
04-25-2009, 03:32 AM
How about Dark Dwarves? Never heard of that. Or does it sound too nonsensical?

Dwarves in the Forgotten Realms

Faerūn has several major dwarven subraces:

* Arctic dwarves: Found in the northernmost reaches of Faerūn, the Inugaakalikurit, or Arctic dwarves, are even smaller than most other dwarves. They are very strong and immune to cold.

* Gold dwarves: Shorter and more charismatic than their shield dwarf cousins, these are the dominant dwarves in southern Faerūn. They primarily reside in an around the Deep Realm, an underground realm surrounding a grand canyon like gorge. The gorge had once been an enormous cavern, which collapsed during a titanic battle between dwarves and drow. The canyon is surrounded by watch towers every twenty to fifty miles with Dwarven Gryphon riders stationed in the watch towers.

* Shield dwarves: The dominant dwarves in the northern parts of Faerūn, these dwarves are taller than their gold dwarf brethren. Primary holds include Citadel Adbar, Mithral Hall, Citadel Felbarr, Hillsafar Hall, and Fireshear. Large Dwarven minorities are also located in Sundabar, Mirabar, and Waterdeep.

* Urdunnir: Also known as orecutter dwarves, these dwarves have the magical ability to shape metal and stone, as well as the ability to walk through solid stone.

* Wild dwarves: Short, primitive dwarves found in the deep jungles of Faerūn.

* Gray dwarves: Or duergar, mainly found in the underdark, with an aversion to light.

Then why shouldn't be in DOF ?

source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_(Dungeons_&_Dragons))

OrcSlayer
04-25-2009, 06:05 AM
I think there should a eygptian/mummy based faction also I the undead would be sweet:)

TaTa456
04-25-2009, 09:28 AM
dwarfs and undead are a must have race of their own. they are too vast and capable of a huge variety of units to make as an addition to a race. plus theyre both awesome races to design and use.

OrcSlayer
04-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Dwarves are cool but only if they can tunnel underground whats the point of an underground empire if u cant expand below ground

TaTa456
04-25-2009, 06:38 PM
that would be cool but also very un-balanced. maybe have a tunneling system where you can build a tunnel entrance in one area and have it lead to another tunnel exit/entrance. maybe use it as a means to move supplies as well. as far as i know though the dwarfs are a mining people so they really chill in the mountains more than underground, so having their fortresses and castles built directly into the sides of mountains would be awesome.

OrcSlayer
05-04-2009, 06:08 AM
the dwarven expansion should also include the dark elves and if there is undead expansion pack in mmo the undead should have a rising and players should have a choice as to keep there original race or become undead

szebus
05-04-2009, 11:24 AM
... players should have a choice as to keep there original race or become undead

As if you are playing with Humans then Undead Humans, if with elves undead elves, undead orcs and so on... :p

Grizzlez
05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Chances are their will be mods for the game which incorporate some of these ideas. So the best bet is to get modding (learning) so you can make sure any of your favourite ideas are included. Their will most likely be modding communities that can also help.

Ryan Zelazny
05-04-2009, 05:04 PM
I added a poll onto the thread with the most common suggestions. This could help us determine what the fans would really like to see with some pretty accurate numbers. So it gives us something to go on for any content we plan on releasing after DoF.

Darvin
05-04-2009, 05:10 PM
It's a close call between dragons, undead, and dark elves for me. However, I gotta say that my love of all things dragon must take precedence.

Esculas the Mighty
05-04-2009, 06:25 PM
would have voted dwarfs but voted dragons since they are closer to being complete and its something new

Kell Aset
05-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Well as I said before, I really would like to see Dark Elves if we have normal ones then well then give us other side of the medal :) but I vote undead, I still remember great atmosphere of Myth games, battles against evil undead hordes that was really something .

Puppeteer
05-05-2009, 11:13 AM
It's a close call, I went with Undead, even though Dragons was a close contender.

szebus
05-05-2009, 12:35 PM
... I really would like to see Dark Elves ... but I vote undead, ... great atmosphere of Myth games, battles against evil undead hordes ...

Same here. :)

Joseph Visscher
05-05-2009, 02:12 PM
For those who have not noticed, a Poll has been made.

SvN
05-06-2009, 12:11 AM
minotaurs?? seriously.. minotaurs don't fit in DoF.

I vote for the nords/vikings, my people;)

The Witch King of Angmar
05-06-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm glad someone set up a poll, that will facilitate things.

Grizzlez
05-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Want to see something never done before.

LiTos456
05-06-2009, 02:18 PM
crab people

Neotyguy40
05-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Dragons... Nuff said...

Joseph Visscher
05-06-2009, 08:56 PM
ccccrab... people..., ccccrab... people... [/southpark spam]

Dragons have a very bad case of Spontaneous Combustion.

LiTos456
05-06-2009, 10:51 PM
ccccrab... people..., ccccrab... people... [/southpark spam]

...i suppose that was your professional post, since it's highlighted in blue?

Damn, you never know what developers are capable of

The Last Defender
05-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Id like to see all 3 leaders in the poll currently in the game. I was quite depressed when I found out dragons have been deactivated for the time being but I've always thought dwarves would add a nice touch to the conflict in mythador. Undead wouldn't be bad either.

Puppeteer
05-07-2009, 02:34 PM
No, they wouldn't necessarily be bad :p *forces himself to not resurrect the Good-Evil debate again*

MrBlack103
05-08-2009, 12:24 AM
Dwarves all the way for me. To be honest I don't really care for dragons (as much). My only worry is that you won't take the underground dwarven cities seriously (enough), as was my problem with BFME's dwarves. If you can't be bothered with that, it is my opinion that you should just leave it to the modders.

Of course, if dwarves did have underground cities, they would be the ultimate turtling civ. However, they would need to come above ground to get most of their food. All their enemy needs to do is cut off their supply lines, take all resources above-ground, and build a virtually unstoppable siege army.The Dwarves, of course, would not be able to send out any sorties, since most of their units are so slow moving. Still, they'd put up one heck of a fight :D

Ryan Zelazny
05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Dwarves all the way for me. To be honest I don't really care for dragons (as much). My only worry is that you won't take the underground dwarven cities seriously (enough), as was my problem with BFME's dwarves. If you can't be bothered with that, it is my opinion that you should just leave it to the modders.

Of course, if dwarves did have underground cities, they would be the ultimate turtling civ. However, they would need to come above ground to get most of their food. All their enemy needs to do is cut off their supply lines, take all resources above-ground, and build a virtually unstoppable siege army.The Dwarves, of course, would not be able to send out any sorties, since most of their units are so slow moving. Still, they'd put up one heck of a fight :D

Not that I wouldn't want Dwarves to be as you envision but I don't think making them a solely underground race would be a viable option for play. It would give them a distinct advantage if we didn't give an appropriate counter to that massive defense, and it's not like we're going to make Dwarf units super weak if we do include them as they are one of fantasy's most fierce races.

So we would have to think what would an army do if they wanted to take down a dwarven underground city, the first two things I think of would be A: Smoke them out, sending flaming projectiles into the orifices so they would generate smoke so that the dwarves would have no choice but to leave the underground, also fire spells with magic would be put into play for the same effect. B: Flood them out, either by spell to create water or by damming a river to flow into the tunnel, the dwarves would have no recourse and would either have to flee the cavern or drown.

Balance wise with a completely underground race you either leave them with too much of an advantage or too much of a disadvantage, this is also why our Elves have ground buildings and walls instead of just living in the giant tree buildings. Because technically you get a few ogres and that tree building is coming down and killing a ton of Elves, that's not very fun if your an Elven player so we had to make ways for Elves to be balanced, true to their fantasy roots, and fun to play.

Kell Aset
05-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Perhaps dwarven towns can be underground but that doesn't mean that there is no place for a fortress on surface, it could guard the entrance to their precious underground city.
The problem would be - which buildings can be underground and which on surface, easy to destroy by attacking army.

szebus
05-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Or they can have they'r city on the ground and underground they can have mines where from they gatter all kinde of special minerals that can come to they'r aid to build some machines.

fyro11
05-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Dwarves go without saying, methinks. But more importantly, Undead and Nords would be interesting. As for Nords and Dwarves, can they not be combined into one? Just a thought, though not well thought out.

Andy Joslin
05-08-2009, 09:34 PM
'Nord' and 'Dwarf' combine on so many aspects that it would be very hard to make them two unique races.

Puppeteer
05-09-2009, 04:25 AM
I suppose you could give the Dwarves a "mine building", in that the entrance is above ground. You can then map the extensive tunnel network underground anywhere you want (within reason), for additional costs for each tunnel section. This could be for generating resources, and the larger the tunnel network the more people you need but also the more resources you generate, or for transporting troops. But it wouldn't be an instant transport, as in BFME. And the amount of troops underground depends on the size of the tunnel network. Other than that, everything else is above ground.

Kell Aset
05-09-2009, 09:06 AM
I like idea of tunnels indeed, those could be secret passages for example (available do be discovered by enemy? hmn :) ) dwarfes could leave with those their stronghold/underground city and/or even enemy army could enter underground city by that secret passage 9if discovered) but then dwarfes would have bonus while fighting there, something like that.
But cave with small town under dwarven stronghold that one on surface is rather a must have, at least I think so.

Grizzlez
05-10-2009, 01:34 PM
With dwarves I think there should be a mixture of underground and aboe ground-they can't get many resources jsut underground. So an attacking player can starve them out if they just try to turtle. Also weaker buildings would probably make it balanced if players have to get underground to finish them off. Tunnel networks and such would be really fun to use like in BFME-as long as they were a bit more realistic, so that the enemy could follow them and the dwavres can't instantly teleport all over the map in a second.

Kire
05-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I want to see a faction of magic to have wizards, battlemages and that kind of stuff in it and lovely architecture with it =). Maybe can be some kind of idea like high elves in Warcraft who used that sunwell to use magic, and maybe also here would have some kind of similar stuff in center of the castle, and could be combined high elves/humans as races and you could choose from 3 different magic powers with different bonuses, for example fire and destruction (in center of the castle would be magnificent fire, this could also have little demonic powers maybe?), or nature and regeneration (tree in the center) or arcane (the well in the middle for example).

(as i heard now already the 3 factions will have mages or magicusers but in that one would be only magicuser, maybe paladin would be also here (as one kind of solider) cuz if they are going to use light as source - light is some kind of magic). Well i cant help myself i am addicted to magic and paladins =P.

OrcSlayer
05-16-2009, 02:40 AM
What about dwarves carving out mountains not tunelling and to balace it dwarves take ages to build cause they have to dig the area out as well a building

Kell Aset
05-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Another thing about undead, just like in Myth games they could be able to hide in water, someone walks close to the river and suddenly! zombie soldiers pop out of it :) .
Idea of carving out mountains is interesting, half castle half mountain that couldn't be surrounded.

MrBlack103
05-16-2009, 07:26 PM
I guess dwarves could work if their buildings were carved into the side of mountains, so the entire city is almost vertical. Imagine the amount of ladders:rolleyes:. Enemy forces would have to breach the gates at the bottom, then work their way up.

Asatru
05-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Vikings / Nords

You dont see them much in games, but they rock.

Nothing says i'm gonna beat ya up with a army of big men carrying big 2h axes that are running and screaming towards your Castle.

-Asatru

Catabre
05-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Several of those races intrigue me. Dark Elves, Dwarves, Nords, and Dragons all interest me. Mods anyone?

nickson104
05-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Several of those races intrigue me. Dark Elves, Dwarves, Nords, and Dragons all interest me. Mods anyone?

Well dragons wont require a mod, or at least not once a sequel is released but people may get impatient... hehe

Nords are very similar to dwarves but I much prefer the Nord idea than the Dwarves :p But then again, Dwarves will be more publicly acceptable in the game probably...

Dark elves are once again pretty similar to the elves... mods may be made :)

I personally think these 3 ideas should be made if an expansion was to be released :)

Kire
06-13-2009, 07:06 PM
What about pirate faction.... tho its speciality would be use of guns (since it is fantasy game guns are also ok) and ships and that kind of stuff. Tho it is in same rank as vikings just that i think you get here more uniqueness. What do you think ppl ... tho i would 100% roll for them if they were in.

Generation
06-14-2009, 03:01 AM
pirates no but vikings yeah sure since they are randomly everywhere and that adds to the part where u go through hardship with your army and they defeated the romans so they are powerful!

Kire
06-14-2009, 04:47 AM
pirates no but vikings yeah sure since they are randomly everywhere and that adds to the part where u go through hardship with your army and they defeated the romans so they are powerful!

THey did no defeated romans o.O, if you are pointing to its west side it were Goths and if you are pointing east they were Turks so vikings did nothing to do with it ... they just once attacked Konstantinopolis but failed and thats all i guess. (and Goths is not same as vikings....)

Edit: Yarrrrr noeone else want to have pirates ?=P you know... the good old days when ships still have sails and mmm the fresh sea air and the nice sandy and lonely islands in Caribbean and the freedom mmmm good old days =) oh lol and *hic* the rum!
(oh and bdw too ppl that didnt know: pirates are here from the very start when the ships were made -even before ancient greece-, but they were just the most notorious and know to us from the more modern era -the ones who use guns- . And pirates are same as bandids or thieves or anything like that, just that they are on sea or by the sea somehow conecetd. (i am talking here about pirates as pirates and as castle would have some special fort with cannons =P)

MrBlack103
06-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Nothing wrong with pirates themselves, but they don't really "fit" in the DoF universe.

Kire
06-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Nothing wrong with pirates themselves, but they don't really "fit" in the DoF universe.

why not ? O.o

Kell Aset
06-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Pirates fighting orcs or elves and dragons/undead in future, well that would be very odd sight, besides they want in game really different races before any other sub factions or smth like that.

Kire
06-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Pirates fighting orcs or elves and dragons/undead in future, well that would be very odd sight, besides they want in game really different races before any other sub factions or smth like that.

thats why i said it is in same rank as vikings =) so if they were thinking about them, they can also think this =).

MrBlack103
06-15-2009, 12:08 AM
The human naval vessels seem to be a bit piratey, but I doubt that'll satisfy you. Try an actual pirate game instead.

As for vikings, longships would probably fit right in with the (probably) upcoming dwarves faction. They are very alike, after all.

Kell Aset
06-15-2009, 10:42 AM
This thread is very very old and at least I doubt that we will really see another human faction. Don't know but perhaps if we will have dwarfs then no vikings/nords because they have in a way similar style.

Asatru
06-15-2009, 05:31 PM
I agree.

Dwarfs can be very different from most units, but pirates / nords / Vikings are human ( or well you would assume that, would be kinda weird do see a Dwarfen nordmen :P )

I also would like to see undeath :P
Always fun with those guys.

-Asatru

OrcSlayer
06-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Mabye a mini-expansion adding new sub-races and the humans could be heavly naval while having a weaker army

Kire
06-16-2009, 05:03 AM
Oh and bdw undeads are also humans =P.
Pirates dont need to be 100% humans they can also have elves and little orcs (orcs are dumb thats why little =P). And that could be something special.... to consisted of almost all races. And nords can also have some monsters like ice giants so the make themselves different as they are little bigger, more fat (as there are harsh weather), so they are due to that almost half beast half humans and as they can control some monsters they would be human-monster combination and both pirates and vikings quite unique. (and what is orc different as black ugly human ?=P...same as elves)
There is also one idea to make in in DoF2 to each race 3 subfactions ....... like humans-pirates, vikings, and pure humans (here they get paladins and that kind of stuff); elves-high elves, wood elves, dark elves; orcs-have no idea here...... =P.

Kell Aset
06-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Undead are also but not only humans, at least they can be and well they are not humans anymore really if they are dead walking corpses or skeletons. And yes I would also like to see one specyfic human faction in DoF, mentioned by me before but well.

Asatru
06-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Aye i agree.

Although i think its to soon talk talk about DoF2 ;)
Perhaps when the game is out and everything is going well the sub-factions might be a great add-on for the game

And then we all need to say we want nords! :P

-Asatru

Kire
06-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Aye i agree.

Although i think its to soon talk talk about DoF2 ;)
Perhaps when the game is out and everything is going well the sub-factions might be a great add-on for the game

And then we all need to say we want nords! :P

-Asatru

you nub we want pirates =P

The Witch King of Angmar
06-16-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd rather see some type of rag-tag mercenary faction with pirates included. That would be cool.

nickson104
06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
I'd rather see some type of rag-tag mercenary faction with pirates included. That would be cool.

Thats what i was picturing for the pirates really :) just all mercenary forces and all races and such but with an affinity for raiding :) not only on water but land too XD

Asatru
06-17-2009, 02:41 PM
I still say we go nords! :P

MagicOPromotion
06-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Can we get the thread title displayed in the last post column on the home page? At the moment we see who posted the last post, but not the name of the thread. Having the thread name there adds a bit more info when searching.

Thanks,
Gomez.

The Witch King of Angmar
06-17-2009, 07:47 PM
All you have to do is mouse over it to see the title. I don't think that it's that big of a problem.

Aametherar
06-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Shouldn't dragons actually be Draconians? Anyways I picked vikings, their mythology is just so amazing and awesome yet they're totally downplayed in MMOs always replaced with "barbarians". Oh, and lets face it Dark Elves are way too cliche.

nickson104
06-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Shouldn't dragons actually be Draconians? Anyways I picked vikings, their mythology is just so amazing and awesome yet they're totally downplayed in MMOs always replaced with "barbarians". Oh, and lets face it Dark Elves are way too cliche.

Norse mythology is indeed awesome :) :p You reckon Fenrir would make an appearance? :) Perhaps also Valkyrie? :)

Kire
06-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Well ppl you totally owned me about pirates ... tho after of long time thinking and reading your posts i realized that you are right.
Anyway i have a new idea about new race =P ... What about Atlantis... tho the whole their sistem is about crystals (in one theory they had advanced technology with use of crystals). And could consist of some elves, humans and some elementalish creatures. So what do you say ?=)

Tho i also like vikings... the part of discovering of Vinland and other there. But i still ask myself why ppl like so much nord mythology ... what makes it soo different than indian...chinese...greek....egypt....american indians ............., what makes them different than other *barberians* in order that ppl actually like them (huns or mongols were more powerful.....)..... i really want to know that =).

Kell Aset
06-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Hehe, check page 35 for Atlantis posts ;) .

nickson104
06-20-2009, 04:10 PM
But i still ask myself why ppl like so much nord mythology ... what makes it soo different than indian...chinese...greek....egypt....american indians .............,

Some of the worlds most known mythology is Greek, Roman, Norse and Egyptian... Other mythologies are known but not generally as well...

To be honest I dont know why this is but it just is... :/ I feel an affinity to the Norse Mythology though for some unknown reason... I really like their mythology

Kire
06-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Well it is said about atlantis on 35 page but it is just name same but concept different, tho i dont mean they are on the water or anything so closely related to it (to be a water faction). Crystals my love crystals not water =).
(tho i know i was skipping little pages =P)

Anyway i will go think now if i can remember any other new faction since i have sooo imba ideas =).

Kell Aset
06-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes Atlantis wasn't well received idea just like underwater faction but nvm they are not that good for DoF.

nickson104
06-21-2009, 05:49 AM
That would require a whole new resource to be implemented... it would hardly be worth it... how would they acquire such crystal? Also that means that other races cannot loot them so well as they will acquire crystal which would be near worthless to them... Also could you think of a whole races units to go with the idea? Because I personally cannot :p

Asatru
06-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Well its a nice idea for the expension of DoF though :)

Its brings a new element to the game

szebus
06-24-2009, 10:54 AM
... how would they acquire such crystal? ...

Maybe from dragon bones ... those made crystals in a special metallurgy building after collected dragon bones from the battlefield (quests, pve and pvp) . :)

Kire
06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Maybe from dragon bones ... those made crystals in a special metallurgy building after collected dragon bones from the battlefield (quests, pve and pvp) . :)

If it has to be bones i would rather have orc bones =P.
And about crystals: the other factions couldnt acquire them because they would not know how. It could be also very rare and when you get it, it stay forever or till its destroy (tho thats how i imagined it first place) - tho it is used for buildings, + defences, luxurity, weapons...like crystals like generators.

nickson104
06-24-2009, 04:37 PM
If it has to be bones i would rather have orc bones =P.
And about crystals: the other factions couldnt acquire them because they would not know how. It could be also very rare and when you get it, it stay forever or till its destroy (tho thats how i imagined it first place) - tho it is used for buildings, + defences, luxurity, weapons...like crystals like generators.

Once again... this is a whole new system that will contrast to the current resource system and race system.... If they were to include any system which would do such a thing I would totally go for the abformentioned Undead race which revolves primarily around its necromancers...

zach12wqasxz
06-27-2009, 02:06 PM
i think that you guys should come up with a unique and original race that other games havent included into thier games

zach12wqasxz
06-27-2009, 02:07 PM
arent dragons already in the game as well? as a playable faction?

Darathor
06-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Dragons were originally playable but were cut out of the initial release of Dawn of Fantasy.

szebus
06-27-2009, 03:50 PM
And again, dragons can be recruited as mercenaries.

SPARROW94
07-12-2009, 05:41 AM
WAAGH! Dark elf's! For they are in this world (or should be) every mortal's fear incarnet >:D

Darathor
07-12-2009, 08:25 AM
If they made it right then everyone should be afraid of dark elves and elves in general.:D

SPARROW94
07-12-2009, 08:52 AM
nawhz just dark elf's... Elf's are subtle people. We all would likely be afraid of their sorcery. rather then their race in general.

szebus
07-12-2009, 09:26 AM
What should be in the expansions, are dwarfs, undeads and some faction we never seen, like the dragons ore some lizardfolks.

SPARROW94
07-12-2009, 10:42 AM
"Dark elves" Sounds like Dark eldar :p

Do not bring in my Dark brethren in this topic....