PDA

View Full Version : Payment Method / Fee

HarTstaRx
03-29-2011, 02:20 PM
I think this question is not yet answered and I think it is a good one.

What kind of payment method do you prefer?

I am more likely to pay a subscription for the game. I prefer quality over money and my humble experience says that a subscription game has more quality and has more development capacity than other payment methods.

After a hour of reading a post about micro transactions this guy (http://jerich.wordpress.com/2009/09/17/3/) changed my mind and now I think that it can be possible, but only in major games, with a huge community.

What do you think about the question?

Puppeteer
03-29-2011, 02:51 PM
There's an initial price for buying the game only. After that, you don't have to pay anything else. There are the options to be pay for mini-transactions to buy certain resources which otherwise accrue slowly, or buy smaller extension packs.

HarTstaRx
03-29-2011, 03:12 PM
I think it is a shame that the game will have micro transactions to buy things that normal players will have to play harder to earn, it kinda breaks the competivity of the game (I earned this object by working on it and that other guy just bought it) and the community (Those who play without buying things tend to think that the players who bought are second class players)

About the extension packs, well if my friend with I play does not bought the pack I cant play with him while he is in the new content zone. I think it splits the community and depending on what the extension packs brings it may even break the competitivity.

I hope this change in the future, but seeing the stage of development I found it very improbable.

WoOpin
03-29-2011, 04:59 PM
There's an initial price for buying the game only. After that, you don't have to pay anything else. There are the options to be pay for mini-transactions to buy certain resources which otherwise accrue slowly, or buy smaller extension packs.

I'm all for expansion packs but not resources with mini transactions. Will not stop me playing but it is something that puts many people off because then the whole game becomes buy to win when you go down that road.

TheBesieger
03-29-2011, 05:18 PM
A free game : to many ppl that will make fake acc to boost their main acc.
Item Mall : This is mony rip off.This is where Stronghold kingdoms will fail.

Monthly Fee : is the best :)
But ofc you need hold your players busy and make/add new stuff to the game.

Swanea
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
While I do think a monthly fee is the best, it's harder for a game that isn't huge to do this.

What I would expect is more of a premium sort of thing, but also f2p.

You pay a monthly rate and get bonus "things", be it the coin for the item shop, bonuses in game, and all the like.
Or you can play free, miss out on a few not so essential things, but pay to buy coins for the shop. That's what I expect.

WoOpin
03-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Also if you want to go down the mini transactions route I think best idea is keep stuff that give an advantage out.

Instead go for things like Expansion Packs ( Extra Content ), Premium Subscription that adds a small bonus to XP's levels ( Like 10% ), or even Premium subs or micro transactions to unlock a 4th race like dwarfs or undread dragons etc.

Please don't do it so people can buy tons of recources. That way you are forcing hardcore players to pay a crapload to stay on top and it does put people off. Also when that hardcore player starts targeting others who do not buy tons of cash items and they are doing constant attacks you then loose a potential customer.

Just my 2 cents anyhow ;)

Edit: If you look on MMO Community websites that cover games people always ask if a game is Buy2Win when a cash shop is in a game so it does matter if you do that. Yeah you may get a handfull who spend stupid amounts on the items to win but then you loose a bunch of casual players who would buy a few items now and again.

Ironcrown
03-30-2011, 04:20 AM
Yeah i agree with WoOpin. I think its unfair that people that can buy resources and other things will be much strongger and always at top. Personally for me i prefer to pay more at start up buyig the game or ew patch contents like new races than pay a monthly fee.

Kire
03-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Yeah i agree with WoOpin. I think its unfair that people that can buy resources and other things will be much strongger and always at top. Personally for me i prefer to pay more at start up buyig the game or ew patch contents like new races than pay a monthly fee.

So would you say it would be not fair that person in World of Warcraft buy expansion and his friend not, so they cant play together and would make first person much much stronger?
As i know the resources problem is fixed by having more stacks of armies. So if one stack is killed in castle attack, you still have other stacks to play with and time to restore destroyed one.
And if person dont have 100% time like WoW players who can play all days than:
- monthly fee would be waist of money
- if he dont have time to develop slowly or because of playing rarely and would like to experience the game, than he could buy some booster packs.
-in expansions beside monthly fee you get, in other MMORPG, to buy it as whole. If you would not like to play Goblins/Horde/Horde quests (WoW) than too bad, you still have to buy it as whole. In way DoF go there you could choose what things you want to buy.

For me the best thing would be for free =), but since they also need money than for my opinion this is much better than monthly fee. If you would like monthly fee than just buy with that money those packs and everyone would be happy, dont know where is problem.
Beside, thinking like you would buy pack and would make you for 1 day undestroyable is silly.

WoOpin
03-30-2011, 10:42 AM
So would you say it would be not fair that person in World of Warcraft buy expansion and his friend not, so they cant play together and would make first person much much stronger?
As i know the resources problem is fixed by having more stacks of armies. So if one stack is killed in castle attack, you still have other stacks to play with and time to restore destroyed one.
And if person dont have 100% time like WoW players who can play all days than:
- monthly fee would be waist of money
- if he dont have time to develop slowly or because of playing rarely and would like to experience the game, than he could buy some booster packs.
-in expansions beside monthly fee you get, in other MMORPG, to buy it as whole. If you would not like to play Goblins/Horde/Horde quests (WoW) than too bad, you still have to buy it as whole. In way DoF go there you could choose what things you want to buy.

For me the best thing would be for free =), but since they also need money than for my opinion this is much better than monthly fee. If you would like monthly fee than just buy with that money those packs and everyone would be happy, dont know where is problem.
Beside, thinking like you would buy pack and would make you for 1 day undestroyable is silly.

I'm not talking booster packs or content that would stop people progressing or playing together I am saying those who want to support mmo mode be able to unlock races. Keep the races balanced hell make it so it is possible to get them packs later on for free. Like say they release a new race you add that race people can pay a mini fee to unlock it. People who do not want to pay can grind wealth to unlock it. Just an idea it is better than people buying recources you will have people dumping $100's in a month just to be on top that is something I would not like to see.

And as for monthly fee for 10% bonus however it does give you an advantage it would not be a huge one. Also this money would goto the developers for them to add more content so a small optional monthly fee is not a bad idea if you would like to see more content added.

Plus they can not live off boxed copys alone server fees cost money. Managing them servers cost money they do need a regular income to cover fees to keep MMO mode going and more content added.

Kire
03-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Plus they can not live off boxed copys alone server fees cost money. Managing them servers cost money they do need a regular income to cover fees to keep MMO mode going and more content added.
+ those microtransactions

Beside i heard of few MMORP games that went from monthly fee to microtransaction and get more money as before + more ppl playing it.
And we dont know what kind packs we will have so we cant judge on info we have now. But if done right/rightish is microtransaction better than month fee =).

Puppeteer
03-30-2011, 02:09 PM
I think it is a shame that the game will have micro transactions to buy things that normal players will have to play harder to earn, it kinda breaks the competivity of the game (I earned this object by working on it and that other guy just bought it) and the community (Those who play without buying things tend to think that the players who bought are second class players)
Don't be so melodramatic :p Micro-transactions won't 'break' the competitive aspect to the community - the bonuses won't be that superior.

About the extension packs, well if my friend with I play does not bought the pack I cant play with him while he is in the new content zone.
For normal expansion packs, I should think so - expansion packs which add a new campaign, new race etc. Radical changes - expansion pack.
However I think the mechanism is different to normal. The game will automatically update whenever you sign in with new patches and content, so when extra content is added your game will automatically download all the necessary files for these new units, buildings, spells, customisations etc. That way you are all playing the same, synchronised version.
More importantly, as far as I know no purchasable item is unique to these transactions. What you buy in micro-transactions is the resource INFLUENCE only. You can't buy any other resource (so no quick-fixes). Influence accrues slowly, through quests, play-time, victories and completing specific objects. Influence allows you to unlock new technologies, units and spells. With micro-transactions, you can buy set amounts of Influence instantaneously. So there's no content-rift in the community, as the options are all available.
If you want to spend money and save time, you can, but if you want to save money and spend time instead, you can. The opportunity's open for everyone. It provides Reverie with a bit more revenue, more scope for adding in new content rather than just waiting for large expansion packs.
Don't forget that unlocking content more quickly than others through micro-transactions won't make you a better player. None of it will be superior to normal units - they're complementary.

NB I'm paraphrasing and remembering what I've read in previous threads (use the Search function, the threads may or may not be easy to find). Or check the FAQ, it might be in there. Reverie should clarify.

Kire
03-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Yeah some stuff are here, if anyone want read it from reverie (mostly as said Puppeteer):
http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364&highlight=microtransaction

Creed
03-30-2011, 03:41 PM
It would be nice if the game was free, but since that's not possible, do a cash shop, with items that increase a production or actions for a certain amount of time. This way you wont have a pay 2 win, and have products worthy for purchase. Simple Products to simply reach end game faster than no payers. But not giving payers anything over powered.

data2.0
04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
A low monthly fee if any is good coupled with an items mall but no items that would give anyone an obvious advantage mainly aesthetic items. A free game would be nice though with just an initial fee

WarriorKing
04-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Ill go in the shop and have the box in my language.

Briggsby
04-20-2011, 01:20 PM
I think that microtransactions would be the best way (certainly more preferable to me; I hate monthly fees and it would probably put me off playing, I just don't feel I get enough out of any game that makes it worth the price of dozens of other games over the space of a few years). I like the coin idea where you get the 'currency' by doing things in the game but you can also pay to get extra 'coins.' I think it's a good idea so that the company can get some more money without alienating too many possible players or reducing game quality; especiallly since it seems the majority of people on the forum would prefer microtransactions.
And obviously the microtransactions could not 'improve gameplay' but they could always change it; maybe and option to buy the dragon faction or alternative buildings. They would barely 'improve' a player but certainly give them more options for how they want to play :)

gerdon
04-21-2011, 03:57 PM
I don;t think microtransactions wreck the game. It just mean the people that don;t have to work on fostering releationships and form groups etc. I don't think it gives huge game balancing issues as long as you can;t buy super weapons etc. and most microtransction game these days don;t do that cause they don;t want to balance to go crazy

Deathbed
04-25-2011, 12:44 PM
i personally would mind seeing Item mall unless they could promise us that they would continue to bring new items skills and content every month.

Ciprian
04-26-2011, 03:35 AM
a am for a monthly fee with trial free period so players can try game for freeand then pay for it each month

Gammelvarg
04-26-2011, 04:51 AM
Making it so you buy quest packs and dlc as the FAQ stated is fine IMHO, as long as it dont go overboard with having to buy resources (or similar) in order to get anywhere.

EDIT: Sorry it was not in the FAQ, it was in this thread I found that info:
http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1364&highlight=microtransaction

TheHoboGod
04-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Monthly Fee : is the best :)

Not exactly. For instance, I personally prefer free games because you don't have to pay (for the most part) over pay to play games like WoW. And LOTRO actually seems better than WoW in terms of darn near everything in my eyes. Another good free game is World of Tanks. That is a very good game with no price tag, as everything is free.

Sepelio
05-02-2011, 10:29 AM
If theres to be any payment method then make sure its not micropayment for items/buffs of any kind. That will break the game as it has done with others which I tested and wont name here. Stick with nice straight forward monthly payments.

Eagles
05-02-2011, 08:18 PM
I'd like to see just a one time payment vs a monthly one.

kraemerkw
05-02-2011, 08:26 PM
I enjoy FREE but is anything reallly FREE?:cool:

XeroMan
05-03-2011, 08:35 AM

I'm glad to hear that it's not a monthly fee. I'm more than happy to buy a game, but it feels like I don't really own it when I have to go on paying to play it.

As for buying resources with real money, I'm not a fan. I've played a few online browser games (Tribal Wars, Kingdoms, Evony, War2Glory) and after a lot of hard work and time invested it is a big dissapointment that some idiot who came in later is almost on par with you, or ahead of you because they paid to be. Given that a fair number of these people (certainly not all) are obnoxious and pay to have bragging rights, it really turns me off a game quickly.

Buying expansion packs is a good idea, so long as they don't unbalance the game. I'm thinking of what Wizards of the Coast did with Magic: The Gathering. When it first came out it was fairly balanced and the first couple of expansions weren't crazy (ie: Arabian Nights) but then they realized that if you make expansions more powerful, players will be forced to buy them in order to remain competitive.

For me I guess it boils down to fairness. If I invest a lot of time and thought into a MMO game, I want it to pay off, without having my game ruined by someone who spent money to do it. Pay for the game, pay for added depth, but no ability to pay for advantages over other players.

XeroMan
05-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Another good free game is World of Tanks. That is a very good game with no price tag, as everything is free.

WoT is a good game, and they came up with an innovative way of encouraging people to pay, but not in a way that makes players far superior. Mind you, it is a FPS vs a strategy game. For those who aren't familiar with it, you pay money for in game gold. The gold can be used to:

- Buy extra spots in your garage so you can have more tanks to choose from (but you only use 1 tank per battle, so not unbalancing)
- Buy extra bunks in your barracks so you can retain crew that are not assigned to one of your tanks (useless, and hardly unbalancing)
- Buy premium tanks - this was unbalancing at first, but quickly became a non-factor as you worked up the tank tech trees. You can earn better tanks than what you can buy, but it takes time to get there.
- Buy certain items - There are many items to choose from that can be earned, and the gold bought items were nothing special
-Buy a premium account where you get 50% more XP and credits from each battle. This can really boost a player up the trees fast. But with the ranking system, those players are facing other players like themselves. Non-paying players will get there eventually.

I don't know what of that can be applied to this style of game... a persistent world is the real kicker. An FPS is match based, and it's easy to balance the game (relatively speaking) based off the level of progression. In a world where players can wander the map freely, there is no real matchmaking. I have to dig deeper into the forums, but I hope there is some kind of game mechanic to address the situation of when a strong player wants to squash a newer player that is just getting out of whatever rookie protection there is...

Templar
05-03-2011, 06:55 PM
To be honest, I believe all "cash-shop" games are awful. There economies and such are always ruined by the cash-shop. LOTRO did a good job in making the stuff in the Cash-shop not economy-targeted. Such as keeping the stuff you buy "account bound."

But to be even more honest. FREE is the best way to go with any game. Either do a one time buy and its over, or a FREE EVERYTHING game. No one wants to give out there information all the time or have to worry about subscriptions.

Dreath
05-03-2011, 07:25 PM
I would rather not have to pay anything but I would be willing to pay for a subscription if the game is good. However, an item shop is an area I would completely avoid.

Flebratus
05-03-2011, 07:56 PM
yet, at the moment, i didnt play the game but,

i think the best way is to pay :

- first for the game
- content and addons
- off time leveling,
a little bit like AOC; that means like i heard, you have a hero,
whos leveling with quests and if you dont play (lets say a week) you can buy xp points
to get a next level !
if it is not correct, please answer me ...

cash for ingame gold or items is such a thing, what can the game make different but most
of the time unbalanced. if you create special quests with drop items like diablo why not.

muser11
05-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Monthly Fee.

Crook
05-04-2011, 10:58 AM
i personally prefer a monthly fee so that development of patches and new content will be faster!

Perconte
05-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Absolutely Free

Repsol
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Free or small price

GrandOp
05-11-2011, 10:44 AM
just to get my opinion out. 'I know that its pay once'

I feel that the game should not be free, and really really should not be pay to play, i keep hearing how some people really want the game to be totally free, saying it be the best thing to do. well. NO. your wrong, thats silly, ever heard of company of heroes online that was 100% free and that went down. But it should not be pay to play, i allways get put off by the fact i dont really own the game, and that im just renting it out. I think it should be pay once and have all the main parts of the game.

I also feel that some form of expasion packs would be cool, that add tec to that player, that could also be used to help guild members. I know. I know. it be giving that player an adavtage, but think about it, lets say there was a tec dlc, that gives you the ability to have ships. Yes it would mean you have just buyed your way into being the GRAND MASTER OF THE SEAS, but thats just about it, that is not the main part of the game, it is just one tec upgrade dlc, even if you did not have that tec upgrade, you have nothing to worry about becouse ships cant move on ground and attack your fort, except it may give your enomy adavtange in useing ships to get to you faster.

Ships were just an example, i dont really know how the game will handle ships yet, but this could work for alot of other things, aslong it only gives you new ways to play, and dosent take away from the orinignal game concept. maybe new challenges that come with new perks. such as some sort of spell that increases the speed at witch orc soliders get made, but hinders the prudtion of food, and there stregnth.

Just to make it clear, i dont think that the game should force people to buy things that are basic or really needed. But only sale things that will change user experance a bit, that give cons and pros.

But this is just a random idea i just had, and might look back and think thats all madness, and sorry if this is an old thread, but i thought i get my opinion out there. never know devs may see it. Also sorry if my spelling/grammer is bad in some places.

Azunay
05-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Buy to play with mini-transactions, but without OP items/unites like 90% of FTP games. Its better to have 20.000 buyers who bough it for 50 euros for example than 2000 subscribers for 12-24-36 months..

Aelfwine
05-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Free with micro transactions for maybe boosters/expansions? special models/skins? Nothing too game changing I hope =/. Otherwise... if it would inbalance everything it should just be a monthly payment. or something along those lines

Lancer_Vance
05-11-2011, 11:15 PM
I would have to say Free to play, although the pay for expansions wouldn't be such a bad idea, and make it thus like a Key system so its harder for people that try for multiple accounts would have to buy multiple copies of said expansion. That way hopefully they don't go for it.

As for what others have said, I agree. Do not add in a money system of buying supplies. I like to earn my keep from the old ways. I don't want to be a good player, only to be out-shown by a new guy just getting into the MMO world with a set of parents that have loads of money, and then suddenly he can send an army my way within a week of joining. That..would..suck.

If you did go the way of pay2play, I would still join this ever growing community, its just that the crap in my life *wont go further* it would be easier with a free game.

GPS51
05-11-2011, 11:21 PM
I don't know anyone who likes to lose to a player who "bought" his victory... I see no reason why we shouldn't pay for Xpacks. I've never had a problem with that. I dislike paying for anything smaller though...As it currently stands btw....You can earn DLC /packs just by playing the game/quests completion/fighting battles. Battles tend to give the most in game currency. Just a "what the current status is". :)

Redhorn
05-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Fact:

The best quality games that have stood the test of time are P2P monthly fee.

All you micro-trans supporters, go play magic the gathering.

GrandOp
05-13-2011, 03:57 AM
Fact:

The best quality games that have stood the test of time are P2P monthly fee.

All you micro-trans supporters, go play magic the gathering.

not fact, only opinion...

there been ton of games that dont use p2p monthly fee, and have done greate. Ye i understand that games like, WoW do great with the monthly fee, but thats only becouse its a well made game 'i dont like wow, i think it boring' But you must understand is if this game makes a stable balanced trade system/dlc than it would be able to stand on its own without relieing on the first load of cash from people buying the main game.

Well anyway, this thread has no point really now. its been stated over and over agean how the game going to be sold.

Redhorn
05-13-2011, 08:05 AM
If I asked you to name one would you say Evony? or maybe Dreamlords?

GrandOp
05-13-2011, 11:48 AM
If I asked you to name one would you say Evony? or maybe Dreamlords?

im going to sound totally random for saying this, but im going to say counter strike. hell. it still on steam top ten best salers, and its been out for ages lol. ye. i bet you were not expecting me to say that ^.^

its been doing so well due to the fact its go tons of free stuff. But do understand im not saying that this game 'dof' should go free, that be stupid. but i am saying the system it useing now seems really good. Hopefully it get them more buyers than a p2p would have.

Alamil
05-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Guild Wars docet perfect payment metod :cool:

Redhorn
05-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Guild Wars is definitly a good example of F2P

Snax
05-23-2011, 01:22 PM
I feel item malls should not offer any competitive advantage, as would selling resources for real money, especially if the game is also charging a license and/or monthly fee. There is little worse then being forced to spend large sums of money to remain competitive in an online multiplayer game.

I always spend money on games I enjoy but find it impossible to recommend a game in which you are subject to being slayed by Captain Trustfund every other game, despite spending reasonable amounts yourself in an effort to support the publisher. I sincerely hope Dawn of Fantasy will find a nice balance between seeing acceptable returns and maintaining a fun, balanced, relatively level playing field.

I find things like charging to start a clan or to increase the amount of players it could hold works well as does charging to customize your army, flag, ect. Flat out selling guaranteed victories in which one player just has to get flogged with no hope will lead to a lot of lost customers, along with their lifetime spend on your game.

I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on the game, it looks great! I hope you find a good balance on this crucial issue.

Dragonchow
05-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Me...I strongly dislike a store...as time goes on and the company needs more money as the box sales are used up, they tend to let the store almost take over the game.

I'd rather see a small monthly fee if more than the box price is needed...or maybe yearly expansions.

I want the company to make a profit, but I prefer income to not intrude on the game. The only criteria for any updates and additions should be fun.

megastealer
05-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Sorry for those of you who don't like an item store, but for those of us who work 2 jobs, do volunteer work, and other things in RL every day don't have the time to sit down and accrue items like you all do, we still want to play with everyone.

So if you have the time to grind and sit down and accrue the items, great, you can do that. But for those of us who can't and are willing to pay for these things, that gives us the option to stay competitive.

My main job is being in the Air Force, and there are just times that pop up in the month when I can't play. A monthly fee just makes me feel like I am wasting my money and I will quit the game at that point.

F2P after buying the game and a fair item store is definitely the way to go. Guild Wars was indeed a great example. Skill, not grind.