PDA

View Full Version : So.. you can't lose?

Joobs
03-26-2011, 01:58 PM
If I understand correctly, since your home region is an instance, you essentially can't lose, but you can get pwnd so bad you basically have to start over?

Lee7778747
03-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Well I would basically call that losing

GPS51
03-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Hard to say as none of us have seen it fleshed out yet but I'm guessing that you won't "lose" your HC in that you will keep it but your troops may have been killed off (depending on what happened in battle). Buildings will be reduced to 1hp etc.

Joobs
03-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Yea but you could build back up. So its basically you have your home region, and then you can conquer regions on the world map. I think.

Nordmann
03-26-2011, 02:42 PM
When i remember correctly, you can be attacked, when u r online.

GPS51
03-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Um you can't be attacked if your OFFline. When you're online you're fair game.

Konstantin Fomenko
03-26-2011, 02:50 PM
To confirm - you can`t loose, but you get get more or less "pwnd". No-one wants to loose 50 hours invested into their town just like that. But still - loosing several massive PvP battles on your homeland can be bad.

GPS51
03-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Yes and I plan to do some serious "pwning".

Sarkata
03-26-2011, 03:24 PM
No-one wants to loose 50 hours invested into their town just like that.

True, no one wants to lose what they've built. But some of us do derive our fun from the risk of losing it all. Or from making others worry that they're about to lose it all.

WTB hardcore game mode/servers.

Joobs
03-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Agreed, hardcore game mode.

Lee7778747
03-26-2011, 03:56 PM
I think that has to be a point of being attacked or to me it really wouldn't be a mmo

Hyroshi
03-26-2011, 07:37 PM
"The city will revert back to its owner, but not in pristine condition. The owner will be down all the units lost in battle and much of the homeland's resources will have been looted by the victor. And then the owner will have to spend more resources to repair burnt buildings and crushed walls."

From the developer on a thread I posted this same question a while back.

jimehau
03-26-2011, 08:00 PM
hey, im hardcore!

DeliCious
03-26-2011, 08:50 PM
To confirm - you can`t loose, but you get get more or less "pwnd". No-one wants to loose 50 hours invested into their town just like that. But still - loosing several massive PvP battles on your homeland can be bad.

So then you can lose just not in the definition of the word were used to.

PS Lose not" Loose"

Pentel123
03-27-2011, 08:26 AM
looks like, you lose when you can't leave home would be a way to look at it

Artois
03-27-2011, 08:33 AM
yeah, Hardcore is always good :D

System
03-27-2011, 10:09 AM
I haven't had much time to get all of the details, and I certainly haven't played the game, but I am very intrigued by the way things sound.

Most recently I played Stronghold Kingdoms and I found that while it was enjoyable for a time, it lost my interest very fast. The attacking forces had a much easier time of things than the defenders as they could send wave after wave until you lost your entire city, minus interdict of course(invulnerability from future attacks for a duration). You could lose your entire city that you didn't just spend days building, but weeks/months.

There was the thrill of victory, but there were times when there was absolutely nothing you could do to prevent total annihilation. That is when things lose the fun. If you have no chance at all, there is no fun. By the sounds of this, you may lose quite a bit, but you still have a chance and you aren't left with nothing.

Can't wait to see how it all works out. A persistent RTS? Color me interested.

GPS51
03-27-2011, 02:02 PM
If you're having trouble with the beta please post it in the "beta' forums ;)

Joseph Visscher
03-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Repairing buildings and walls also costs resources, stone and wood, for instants you will notice a stone drain as you repair wall segments, if you run out of stone, your walls will stop repairing. Does not help if you only have 1 battalion of peasants and your hero left from a stunning defeat. Entire Stronghold burning, everything's black and scorched.

Yea I'd say you can lose, takes a few hours if not more to repair and rebuild.

Chronic24
03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
cant wait to do some pwning myself

Azrael
03-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Reparing and rebuild for hours is similar to lose =)

Swanea
03-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Well I would basically call that losing

Lol, sorry I found this funny.

I would think starting over would equate to basically dying in some games and having all your items looted. You might have your skills/talents, but you have no gear.

Ironcrown
03-30-2011, 03:49 AM
i think it would be stimulating the pressure to defend your capital to the last man standing. but at the same time would be frustrating to se so much work being reduced to ashes, but its a risk. just defend well your city.

Omen
03-30-2011, 01:41 PM
I know I would totally feel defeated if my Kingom that I've spent months on protecting, growing and babying, suddenly began turning into rubble, building by building, right in front of my eyes:mad:

Yay for run on sentences.

swou
03-30-2011, 01:50 PM
I think people are too blinded by the fact that you get to keep your city after your loose a massive pvp battle. If you think about it, by loosing it basically means that there is a great chance that the person who just beat you, can do it again, thus rendering you in a situation worse than actually loosing your city. Your city will be nothing but a training ground for the other person's army and a resource stock pile.

Martillo
04-04-2011, 09:54 AM
I think people are too blinded by the fact that you get to keep your city after your loose a massive pvp battle. If you think about it, by loosing it basically means that there is a great chance that the person who just beat you, can do it again, thus rendering you in a situation worse than actually loosing your city. Your city will be nothing but a training ground for the other person's army and a resource stock pile.

Yes, that is what I think too. It will be interesting to see if this situation will happen often once the game is released - Have the developers thought about a solution to this, if it should happen often - Or is it to be seen as part of the game? - I wouldnt mind a situation where a far superior warlord keeps raiding my lands, and the only way to stop him is to offer him a stream of ressources(Since giving them away is better than having them taken, and loosing your buildings and units in the process), or ask allies for help

What are the developers view on this? Is bashing to be part of the game, or will there be countermeassures to avoid it (Like safe time after each attack)

ninjaboi37
04-04-2011, 11:26 AM
I know I would totally feel defeated if my Kingom that I've spent months on protecting, growing and babying, suddenly began turning into rubble, building by building, right in front of my eyes:mad:

Yay for run on sentences.

Yeah, this doesn't really put a nice feeling in one's stomach. I have no idea what to expect from the game myself, I just found the site today, but even so this would definitely add a "challenge" to the gameplay. Wondering whether or not everything I had worked so hard to build and maintain will be lost if I am somehow attacked is certainly stressful.

Martillo
04-04-2011, 12:33 PM
I think the popular "hardcore mode" as seen in many games would be a great idea - It would add a level of serious competetion to the game (That I think the game might lack otherwise)

I would deffinatly play hardcore mode if the option was available, while also playing in Normal mode on another server.

About the fear of suffering defeat, I believe that once people get to play the game, and get comfy with the games mechanics (And know with absolut certainty what will happen if you lose) people wont be as nervous about it. There will obviously be plenty of options to make sure that you do not suffer complete defeat (Or at least not as often as one might fear)

Scrapple206
04-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I think an easy way to solve this problem is to have a hardcore mode that many people have mentioned. It would allow for the people who did not want to lose there city's and all the hard work in a normal server and allow for people who want to be able to conquer other human city's in the hardcore mode. Win Win Everyone gets what they want.

Narfz.de
04-07-2011, 12:39 PM
But that would split the Community. And wouldn´t finally one side get the most attention? :rolleyes:

Revan
04-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Or maybe...Pvp and normal servers! Bahahaha XD wait I think they are working on something similar...who knows. lol

Alex Walz
04-08-2011, 12:43 AM
We won't have any sort of "hardcore" mode for initial release, but we will be constantly working on and adding new features to Dawn of Fantasy, so we hope that once it's out, you'll be able to play it and then the players and devs can work together to try and come up with a solution that will appeal to both types of players. Right now it's hard as many of you have yet to play the game, and those of you who have have only experienced a limited and under-development MMO environment and the devs are currently busy enough with the beta and gold master as is, but we would like to reexamine some of these ideas after release. :)

Rafaq19
04-12-2011, 05:14 AM
Nice I plan to do some serious "pwning" too :)

tex93lo
04-13-2011, 06:16 AM
yes you can lose

krgwynne
05-09-2011, 03:31 AM
Is there any safe period time for people just starting out so they dont get farmed as soon as they start .

ki adi mundi
05-09-2011, 06:30 AM
hardcore! yeah!!!><

Ghost
05-09-2011, 12:25 PM
@kr: Yes, there is a safe period. Small estates cannot be attacked. I believe you cannot be attacked until you upgrade your city to a castle. So you basically choose when you're ready.

What would be interesting is if NPC cities did not revert once conquered, so the online game could turn into a land war of sorts, fighting over the NPC towns and resources while your home city is the only one that cannot truly be taken.

Pepsi Addicted
05-09-2011, 12:31 PM
True, no one wants to lose what they've built. But some of us do derive our fun from the risk of losing it all. Or from making others worry that they're about to lose it all.

WTB hardcore game mode/servers.

aye! or just an option to allow it in specific battles, if both players want that risk.

TheHoboGod
05-09-2011, 01:28 PM
There is no way to lose. From my understanding, you just lose a good amount of resources and all your troops upon losing a homeland fight.

Dreadnot
05-09-2011, 07:09 PM
i think a lot of ppl would rather not be able to lose :p

GPS51
05-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Hehe about the time i burn your buildings/ take resources/ leave you with no army.. tell me you want a hardcore mode :P

Joseph Visscher
05-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Hehe about the time i burn your buildings/ take resources/ leave you with no army.. tell me you want a hardcore mode :P

Ahem the buildings that took several days to make and gather enough resources. And your Army that you leveled up and did so many damn quests with, defeated your first human player with, their all dead.

You can lose harder in this game than can in many other games.

Redhorn
05-09-2011, 08:11 PM
You can't "loose", but you can be a "looser", sucks to be on the "loosing" side of the coin. Nice insertion of a Canadien accent. :D

Alastriona
05-10-2011, 08:11 AM
Repairing buildings and walls also costs resources, stone and wood, for instants you will notice a stone drain as you repair wall segments, if you run out of stone, your walls will stop repairing. Does not help if you only have 1 battalion of peasants and your hero left from a stunning defeat. Entire Stronghold burning, everything's black and scorched.

Yea I'd say you can lose, takes a few hours if not more to repair and rebuild.

What happens if you lose all your peasants and you no longer have any food to train new ones. Or llivestock or other resources to trade with? Will you be stuck?