PDA

View Full Version : Injuries?? ...question from a noob

lord_farquad
04-17-2008, 06:41 AM
I'm not sure if this question has been asked/answered already but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I figured I'd post it anyways.

How do injuries affect units? There are dozens of games that have injuries, but usually the only affect is that the unit moves slower, fires slower, etc. What are the injuries in DoF going to be like? Will there be target zones (head, body, etc.)?

Jean=A=Luc
04-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Will there be target zones (head, body, etc.)?

This isn't a rpg.

Ryan Zelazny
04-17-2008, 01:55 PM
We do not have target specific injuries.

LordSlayer
04-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Will the injuries still afect gameplay even if they are specific to a body part?

Ryan Zelazny
04-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Sorry let me rephrase that, we do not have injuries.

It is still a hit point based combat system.

Ovocean
04-17-2008, 03:46 PM
But the website reads: "units in Dawn of Fantasy come to life, with specific benefits or punishments depending on the situation. Characters can [...] be Wounded, and much more"
:confused:

Neotyguy40
04-17-2008, 04:15 PM
But the website reads: "units in Dawn of Fantasy come to life, with specific benefits or punishments depending on the situation. Characters can [...] be Wounded, and much more"
:confused:

Ooh, Reverie studios just got busted :p

Feweh
04-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Heroe-wise they might be speaking no...?

Ovocean
04-17-2008, 04:36 PM
The description was for all units but I don't know...

Neotyguy, you should hold back from spamming everywhere.

Darvin
04-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Typically "injured" units are weak enough as it is. If you look at fast-paced games like Starcraft and Warcraft, they're often regarded as "casualties waiting to happen" and killed off so as to free up population points for a fresh unit. Even though they still are fully functional, they are still massive liabilities. While it may be realistic, I don't think giving penalties to injured units is good for gameplay in RTS games (and many other genres, as well). It grants too much of an advantage to someone whoever can perform a "first strike" and makes healing abilities so critical as to make them the central component of the game.

Puppeteer
04-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I believe the use of the term "Characters" and not "units" implies only specific campaign heroes...

Alexander Flegler
04-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Actually characters can be wounded. Our combat system is like in many tabletop games and pretty similar to Warhammer or Dungeons and Dragons, complex and realistic.

We're probably going to showcase parts of it during the weekend.

Neotyguy40
04-18-2008, 08:02 PM
The description was for all units but I don't know...

Neotyguy, you should hold back from spamming everywhere.

Spamming is when something is off subject, I believe that is ON subject...